Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:25 pm

Nice shirts...

I despair at our politicians... and we call others populist’s.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 pm

I fact the remain interviewee on Newsnight doesn’t inspire confidence. He quoted Churchill wanting a federal Europe...
Yes he did but he wanted us outside working with it not in it.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 pm

LeuvenClaret wrote:Where were u on these announcements:-
Nissan
Honda
Mini
British Steel

To name a few

Ohh no u pick a shitty little tax to prove your leave at all expense point of view that WRONGLY claims to be supporting BRITISH JOBS. You are a leave at all costs charlatan.... nothing else.
I prefer to see myself as more of a Democracy At All Costs man to be honest. I appreciate it's a concept that irks remoaners. But there you go.

Being forced, thanks to EU state aid rules to raise VAT from 5% to 20% could easily have an adverse effect on British workers. If you refuse to accept that it's upto you.

If you are gullible enough to believe I actually registered to post as "Elizabeth" then it explains why you believe in the EU project.

You must see that the UTC message board is used by a minority of Burnley fans. Of that minority only a minority can be arsed reading, never mind actually posting, on political/ brexit threads. Of that dwindling number, I'd hazard a guess that roughly 50% are on "my side of the arguement" so to speak.

During the close season, traffic is probably, further reduced. 

By now we're talking about a very limited number that would go to such lengths to actually create an account that attempts to mimic my posts. I may be barking up the wrong tree. But, there are a tiny number of posters that seem to have a grudge against me that would insense them so much to go to such sad , but extremely amateur, lengths. Imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery. In this case, it's just sad.
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:45 pm

AndrewJB wrote:I agree that the CAP is in dire need of reform in respect to the points Monbiot makes in the Guardian (and probably more). Interesting that when Cameron went to Brussels to renegotiate before the referendum, whereas he wanted to stop foreigners from getting in work benefits, this didn't extend to payments for just owning land.

But when held up against the benefits of being in the EU, this wouldn't be near enough to make me want to leave. There are probably ways around it (tax the subsidy back?), but for me it would be one of a long list of things I'd like to see the EU reform. With solar panels the government could easily set up a discount program - all well within EU rules, just like the cycle to work scheme - and subsidise our solar panels to their hearts content. The reason they're not doing that has nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with the fact they aren't interested in green energy (probably because it brings down the profits for their mates in the energy industry).
To be fair, I don't post to try and persuade anybody to want to leave. I haven't changed my mind since the 2016 Peoples Vote so why would anyone else change theres. After 3 years of going round in circles on here there hasn't been a argument about Brexit that hasn't already been done.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 am

I cant believe I missed the EU leadership elections.
You remainers kept that quiet didnt you?
And I'm shocked that you voted for someone convicted of negligence, to be president of the European central bank

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 am

Christine lagarde has been nominated as the new ECB president.

This is the woman who , as head of the IMF, paid no income tax, as her salary was classed as "international"!!

Christine Lagarde is a convicted fraudster.

"Christine Lagarde convicted: IMF head found guilty of criminal charges over massive government payout

She was a convicted criminal International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde has been convicted over her role in a controversial €400m (£355m) payment to a businessman.French judges found Ms Lagarde guilty of negligence for failing to challenge the state arbitration payout to the friend of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 84586.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fraudster, an EU nationalist and a pillar of the global Establishment as president of the ECB. You could not make it up.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 am

Damo wrote:I cant believe I missed the EU leadership elections.
And I'm shocked that you voted for someone convicted of negligence, to be president of the European central bank
Bloody hell Damo! 12.19! Great minds!
This user liked this post: Damo

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 am

File under, "uncomfortable truths", or as James O'Bigot would say, "but we're not going to be talking about this today".

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:31 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Christine lagarde has been nominated as the new ECB president.

This is the woman who , as head of the IMF, paid no income tax, as her salary was classed as "international"!!

"Christine Lagarde convicted: IMF head found guilty of criminal charges over massive government payout

She was a convicted criminal International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde has been convicted over her role in a controversial €400m (£355m) payment to a businessman.French judges found Ms Lagarde guilty of negligence for failing to challenge the state arbitration payout to the friend of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 84586.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fraudster, an EU nationalist and a pillar of the global Establishment as president of the ECB. You could not make it up.
She’s not a fraudster though is she, even your own post says what she was convicted of. They didn’t even give her a criminal record or impose a penalty, on n fact reading about the case it seems the evidence was weak (although I know evidence isn’t your thing anyway) and everyone was shocked and embarrassed she was found guilty.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 am

The elected heads of state in the European Council appoint the President of the ECB by a qualified majority. I'm not sure why you'd expect the citizens of Europe to directly vote on this position. Do we get to vote on who the governor of the BoE is?

The President of the European Commission is proposed by a majority of the European Council, which is made up of elected heads of state. This appointment is then voted on by the European Parliament, which is made up of elected MEPs by the citizens of Europe.

Do UK MPs get to vote on who becomes Head of the Civil Service? Or is that appointment made by the PM? It seems the EU method is more democratic than ours in this case.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:56 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:The elected heads of state in the European Council appoint the President of the ECB by a qualified majority. I'm not sure why you'd expect the citizens of Europe to directly vote on this position. Do we get to vote on who the governor of the BoE is?

The President of the European Commission is proposed by a majority of the European Council, which is made up of elected heads of state. This appointment is then voted on by the European Parliament, which is made up of elected MEPs by the citizens of Europe.

Do UK MPs get to vote on who becomes Head of the Civil Service? Or is that appointment made by the PM? It seems the EU method is more democratic than ours in this case.
And these posts are all the more ironic in the month when less than 0.25% of the uk population will decide who our next Prime Minister is.
These 3 users liked this post: JohnMcGreal nil_desperandum longsidepies

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 am

Don't flatter yourself Ringo, I have previously posted to let you know that your theory on 'Elizabeth' is verging on being paranoid. Yet you still persist with this.

Let the remoaners continue with this nonsense, they only use it when they have no other comeback.

The situation is that my views are my own so please refrain from insulting my intelligence again.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:50 am

Creepy

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:09 am

Elizabeth wrote:Don't flatter yourself Ringo, I have previously posted to let you know that your theory on 'Elizabeth' is verging on being paranoid. Yet you still persist with this.

Let the remoaners continue with this nonsense, they only use it when they have no other comeback.

The situation is that my views are my own so please refrain from insulting my intelligence again.
Is this what’s known as ‘having a word with yourself’?

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Christine lagarde has been nominated as the new ECB president.

I do like Ringo's habit of declaring something and then conveniently supplying a link which proves him wrong in the same post.

I vaguely remember the case at the time but it does sound a weird one looking at the link:

Even the trial’s chief prosecutor Jean-Claude Marin said the accusation was “very weak” and warned of confusion between “criminal negligence” and a “bad political decision”.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:07 am

Personally I'm not particularly keen on the process of electing the head of the European Commission. I feel the previous method was better where the European parties declared their nominee and the party with the most votes got to have their nominee as the leader, that felt like a more democratic process to me.

Any ideas why that has changed? I guess there is an issue that some parties such as the Brexit Party aren't aligned to a European party which makes it difficult to work on an absolute basis.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 am

aggi wrote:Personally I'm not particularly keen on the process of electing the head of the European Commission. I feel the previous method was better where the European parties declared their nominee and the party with the most votes got to have their nominee as the leader, that felt like a more democratic process to me.

Any ideas why that has changed? I guess there is an issue that some parties such as the Brexit Party aren't aligned to a European party which makes it difficult to work on an absolute basis.
It was changed because a German called Weber would have become President and he didn't have the "right" views. In the EU, democracy is OK only as long as it gives the right results.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 am

dsr wrote:It was changed because a German called Weber would have become President and he didn't have the "right" views. In the EU, democracy is OK only as long as it gives the right results.
Thank god all our parties have fully democratic systems for electing their leaders, although for one party you do have to be called Nigel Farage to win of course.
These 2 users liked this post: CombatClaret longsidepies

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:32 am

dsr wrote:It was changed because a German called Weber would have become President and he didn't have the "right" views. In the EU, democracy is OK only as long as it gives the right results.
Have you got a link to some detail on this?

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:13 pm

aggi wrote:Have you got a link to some detail on this?
https://www.politico.eu/article/manfred ... ency-race/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President ... Commission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was established in 2014 that the leader of the largest party in the European Parliament would become president. This has now been overturned, because the people who voted for the European Parliament voted for the wrong man.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:32 pm

martin_p wrote:She’s not a fraudster though is she, even your own post says what she was convicted of. They didn’t even give her a criminal record or impose a penalty, on n fact reading about the case it seems the evidence was weak (although I know evidence isn’t your thing anyway) and everyone was shocked and embarrassed she was found guilty.

Hahaha. So no comment on the fact that she's somebody that has not paid income tax on her "international salary" . No defence of the stone cold fact that that she's a convicted criminal that has been chosen by the EU to run the ECB. !!

No. You prefer to dance on a pin head. She was involved in a fraudulent transfers of money. As the link said-

"Civil courts have since quashed the unusually generous award, declared the arbitration process and deal fraudulent, and ordered Mr Tapie to pay the money back."

She's a convicted criminal. Fact. End of , and how desperate do you sound when you scrape the bottom of the barrel with the "evidence was weak!?"

It was "that weak" She's now a convicted criminal!

And you just couldn't resist the "evidence" dig could you.

May I remind you. It was you that claimed you "had evidence that leaving the EU and ending free movement of people would not help to reduce modern day slavery and people trafficking "

I said that I just held the opinion that it would.

But no. You had evidence that trumped my humble opinion didn't you.

You never provided it and you never will.
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:35 pm

aggi wrote:I do like Ringo's habit of declaring something and then conveniently supplying a link which proves him wrong in the same post.

I vaguely remember the case at the time but it does sound a weird one looking at the link:

Even the trial’s chief prosecutor Jean-Claude Marin said the accusation was “very weak” and warned of confusion between “criminal negligence” and a “bad political decision”.

I know I've made the mortal sin of blaspheming against your precious EU and the corrupt and convicted criminals it chooses to employ. But can you confirm in a yes or no answer, is Christine Lagarde a convicted criminal?

Yes Or No?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Don't flatter yourself Ringo, I have previously posted to let you know that your theory on 'Elizabeth' is verging on being paranoid. Yet you still persist with this.

As I've pointed out previously. There's only a handful of posters who you can be. You previously tried far too hard by using Beatles song titles. Now you started using the word "clearly" which is something I do as well as remoaner. Also, "dont flatter yourself " is also one of mine. Which is why i can umferstand why youve managed to convince the more gullible posters on here. It doesnt make it anyless creepy though. Why don't you start altering the font and size like I often do in my posts? Even better, in this weird tribute act you want to be. Why not log in from your usual name and post as "Elizabeth" and post something that I've said previously and make it look like I've slipped up and I'm saying it as myself but logged in as "Elizabeth"?

Now that's given you an idea hasn't it. Wait till I've posted and then reply back immediately as "Elizabeth" to make it look like I've slipped up when trying to talk to myself.

You could reply as "Elizabeth" immediately AFTER a post to make to make it look like I've slipped up.

However, you can never manufacture an "Elizabeth" post FIRST with my name immediately after, as you and I both know, you don't know my password, therfore you cannot post as me.

Imploding Turtle once posted as imploding Turtle then obviously forgot to log out and in again as another user and replied to himself still as imploding Turtle. I wasn't the only one to rumble him.

You would be able to do an "Elizabeth" Followed by another "Elizabeth" to make it look like it was me talking to myself but you'll never be able to to manufacture a Ringo followed by another Ringo.

Like I say, there's only a handful of posters who could actually be arsed and even fewer who'd be so frustrated by my presence on here, to go to the lengths of actually setting up another account.

I'm narrowing down, quite quickly, who the stalker is.
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Log off for a bit.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:04 pm

Is this a man having a breakdown?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm

lol Ringo

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:12 pm

Another two predictions.

Following my previous prediction that materialised, that John Bercow role would be "pivotal" in the Brexit process. I predict his role in the near future will be absolutely crucial and highly controversial.

My second prediction, and this is admittedly a long shot. There is a good chance that if Boris wins the Tory leadership race. Parliament will replace him with a new PM and bring about a government of national unity. Could be wrong but let's see......

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:19 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Another two predictions.

Following my previous prediction that materialised, that John Bercow role would be "pivotal" in the Brexit process. I predict his role in the near future will be absolutely crucial and highly controversial.

My second prediction, and this is admittedly a long shot. There is a good chance that if Boris wins the Tory leadership race. Parliament will replace him with a new PM and bring about a government of national unity. Could be wrong but let's see......
Remind us who you predicted the next Tory leader would be?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Remind us who you predicted the next Tory leader would be?
Yeah got that wrong.

Also predicted the Establishment would want Corbyn out.

Enter the civil service last weekend casting aspertions on Corbyn mental and physical well being and capabilities. A civil service supposed to be none political.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:38 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:I know I've made the mortal sin of blaspheming against your precious EU and the corrupt and convicted criminals it chooses to employ. But can you confirm in a yes or no answer, is Christine Lagarde a convicted criminal?

Yes Or No?
My precious EU? What one earth are you on about? My very next post was saying that I didn't agree with how the EC president was appointed, some of us are able to be at least a little even-handed.

I see it's another classic Ringo moving the goalposts. Yes, she is a convicted criminal, I never disputed that.

My turn now, yes or no answer. Is Christine Lagarde is a convicted fraudster?

Although I think we all know that your outrage only goes as far as condemning those that you disagree with. You happily complain about Fiona Onasanya but have remained weirdly silent about convicted criminal Chris Davies.

As for no income tax on her international salary. You do know that there are tens of thousands of UN employees who don't pay taxes on their salary and this has been internationally agreed? Why are you just flagging this now? Did I miss the posts where you were complaining about Kofi Annan not paying any tax on his salary?

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:39 pm

dsr wrote:https://www.politico.eu/article/manfred ... ency-race/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President ... Commission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was established in 2014 that the leader of the largest party in the European Parliament would become president. This has now been overturned, because the people who voted for the European Parliament voted for the wrong man.
Cheers. The first link doesn't open in the office so will have a look later.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:43 pm

Wow, Ringo I am embarrassed for you.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 pm

aggi wrote: Yes, she is a convicted criminal
Thats all I need to hear.

The fact that the very same arch euro federalist, who previously made countless predictions of economic armageddon, were we to simply vote to Leave nevermind actually Leave the EU. Is, despite being being a convicted criminal, being chosen to run the ECB.

That, regardless what you, or any of the europhile apologists on this irrelevant football mesdageboard that want to deflect, nitpick about whether you think she's a fraudster or not , is political dynamite for democratic brexiteers like me, and more importantly, absolute manna from heaven for Democrats all over Europe who want to see your precious EU fall. Blasphemy against your EU cult is about to go trans-european.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:06 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Thats all I need to hear.

The fact that the very same arch euro federalist, who previously made countless predictions of economic armageddon, were we to simply vote to Leave nevermind actually Leave the EU. Is, despite being being a convicted criminal, being chosen to run the ECB.

That, regardless what you, or any of the europhile apologists on this irrelevant football mesdageboard that want to deflect, nitpick about whether you think she's a fraudster or not , is political dynamite for democratic brexiteers like me, and more importantly, absolute manna from heaven for Democrats all over Europe who want to see your precious EU fall. Blasphemy against your EU cult is about to go trans-european.
How come you weren't campaigning to leave the UN when she was head of the IMF and a convicted criminal?

As an aside, all this "your EU" stuff is quite weird. I know you view Brexit like a religion but not everyone is as invested in it as you are.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 am

aggi wrote:How come you weren't campaigning to leave the UN when she was head of the IMF and a convicted criminal?

As an aside, all this "your EU" stuff is quite weird. I know you view Brexit like a religion but not everyone is as invested in it as you are.
I didn't campaign to leave the UN. Just like I haven't campaigned to leave the EU. I was given the opportunity to vote to Leave the EU though. I expect that, given I was in the majority, that vote be implemented. Democracy and all that.

Like I said previously, it's all pretty irrelevant what's said on this football message board. Your precious EU has, by appointing a convicted criminal to head its bank, scored a belter of an own goal!

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 am

“A willingness by politicians to say what they think the public want to hear, and a willingness by large parts of the public to believe what they are told by populist politicians, has led to a deterioration in our public discourse.

This has contributed to a growing distrust of our institutions – whether that be parliament, the civil service, the mainstream media or the judiciary.”

David Gauke MP & Justice Secretary

It's good to know there are people in government who will publicly call out what's going on. The bravest ones are those preparing to fall on their swords to protect the country.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:30 am

Brexit party, Tory coalition anyone ?
Attachments
4.PNG
4.PNG (13.6 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10238 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:23 am

This Ringo bloke is seriously damaged.
Blowing smoke up his own arse is disturbing, sure enough, but pretty hilarious too.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:18 am

dsr wrote:https://www.politico.eu/article/manfred ... ency-race/

It’s the tradition for the leader of the party with the largest number of seats in the HoC to be PM. However the PM still needs to have enough support within parliament - to have the confidence of the house - for this to happen. If, for example, enough Tories vote against the next leader of their party, then we might not see either Hunt or Johnson become PM. The primacy of Parliament is a cornerstone of democracy. I’m sure you would be the first to say the primacy of Parliament trumps tradition.

It’s disingeuous for you to suggest that Weber was somehow deselected undemocratically by a shadowy power, when in fact he just didn’t command enough democratic support.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 am

AndrewJB wrote:It’s the tradition for the leader of the party with the largest number of seats in the HoC to be PM. However the PM still needs to have enough support within parliament - to have the confidence of the house - for this to happen. If, for example, enough Tories vote against the next leader of their party, then we might not see either Hunt or Johnson become PM. The primacy of Parliament is a cornerstone of democracy. I’m sure you would be the first to say the primacy of Parliament trumps tradition.

It’s disingeuous for you to suggest that Weber was somehow deselected undemocratically by a shadowy power, when in fact he just didn’t command enough democratic support.
Before the election, the voters were told that the head of the largest party would be President. After the election, the Commission decided that the people had voted for the wring man so they were changing the rules and the elected Parliament would not have a say.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:02 am

dsr wrote:Before the election, the voters were told that the head of the largest party would be President. After the election, the Commission decided that the people had voted for the wring man so they were changing the rules and the elected Parliament would not have a say.
Having briefly looked into it it seems that wasn't the case. It was known before the election that the head of the largest party may not be president.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48280134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am

aggi wrote:Having briefly looked into it it seems that wasn't the case. It was known before the election that the head of the largest party may not be president.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48280134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And which of those democratically elected politicians got the job? Oh yes - none of them. They appointed the German defence minister instead.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:33 am

AndrewJB wrote:It’s the tradition for the leader of the party with the largest number of seats in the HoC to be PM. However the PM still needs to have enough support within parliament - to have the confidence of the house - for this to happen. If, for example, enough Tories vote against the next leader of their party, then we might not see either Hunt or Johnson become PM. The primacy of Parliament is a cornerstone of democracy. I’m sure you would be the first to say the primacy of Parliament trumps tradition.

Okay, but taking a step back: when you watch the shenanigans at the real seat of power - the commission - do you honestly see this as democracy in action? I'm anti-EU, you're Pro-EU, and I'm aware these positions could cloud the judgment of either of us. But when I look I'm struggling to find even a shred of democratic accountability in all this.

I'm fully aware of the potential flaws of democracy, and potential merits of some non-democratic institutions of government, but why, oh why do they make out the EU is democratic when it patently is not? It's insulting! They should at least be honest about it.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:49 am

dsr wrote:And which of those democratically elected politicians got the job? Oh yes - none of them. They appointed the German defence minister instead.
I'm not disputing that it's a flawed process (although I guess there does need to be a consideration that in a parliament that is so split the single largest party may not be the party in control; for instance at the moment the largest party has under 25% of the seats), just your suggestion that the process was changed after the vote. It was known before the vote that there would be some wrangling over who would get the important positions.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:32 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:I didn't campaign to leave the UN. Just like I haven't campaigned to leave the EU. I was given the opportunity to vote to Leave the EU though. I expect that, given I was in the majority, that vote be implemented. Democracy and all that.

Like I said previously, it's all pretty irrelevant what's said on this football message board. Your precious EU has, by appointing a convicted criminal to head its bank, scored a belter of an own goal!
You seem to be one of the very few who thinks this will be a big issue. Even on twitter, which is generally full of crackpots and loons, there is barely a reference to the conviction (and those that do make reference seem to think she was convicted of fraud, I wonder why people are all getting that consistently wrong, so clearly aren't that aware of the issue). Given that she remained head of the IMF I don't think it was the big scandal you believe.

Personally I'm not convinced it's a good appointment because we should be looking at a banker/economist rather than lawyer/politician. I'm not sure whether she'll be able to set the direction of the ECB as you'd expect.

I also expected the vote to be implemented. Unfortunately I don't think either of us expected those extreme brexiteers who refuse to countenance any compromise to have enough influence to derail it.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1644 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:18 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I fact the remain interviewee on Newsnight doesn’t inspire confidence. He quoted Churchill wanting a federal Europe...
Yes he did but he wanted us outside working with it not in it.
Very true. Most of our leaders around then still thought of us as a major power not just a spoke in a wheel.

I don’t recall ever being taught about this in school in the 70s and 80s but it seems fascinating to read up on the geopolitics as to why we joined the EEC.

A school of thought is that we didn’t want to join but Kennedy and his team pressured us into applying in the 60s to give the US an “in” as regards European foreign policy, and because we needed US help to develop the next generation’s nuclear deterrent we had to comply. De Gaulle then vetoed it more than once but eventually we got in a decade later when there was also an economic imperative. The moral of the story though is that there are still geopolitical and economic reasons to be in the EU but we were and remain highly sceptical of European integration.

That’s why I am now a Brexiteer who would want to be part of an EU but only if the Euro breaks up and integration becomes looser with the end of ideas like the EU army. I’d like to think Churchill would have agreed.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Go on Anne! Give the undemocratic federalist extremists hell!

https://youtu.be/HOwRhkWpnuI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:49 pm

aggi wrote:You seem to be one of the very few who thinks this will be a big issue. Even on twitter, which is generally full of crackpots and loons, there is barely a reference to the conviction (and those that do make reference seem to think she was convicted of fraud, I wonder why people are all getting that consistently wrong, so clearly aren't that aware of the issue). Given that she remained head of the IMF I don't think it was the big scandal you believe.

Personally I'm not convinced it's a good appointment because we should be looking at a banker/economist rather than lawyer/politician. I'm not sure whether she'll be able to set the direction of the ECB as you'd expect.

I also expected the vote to be implemented. Unfortunately I don't think either of us expected those extreme brexiteers who refuse to countenance any compromise to have enough influence to derail it.
I'm amazed that you were surprised that being a convicted criminal Christine Lagarde, wasn't removed from running the IMF!

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Go on Anne! Give the undemocratic federalist extremists hell!

I see this has triggered the usual suspects.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

LeuvenClaret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by LeuvenClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:06 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Go on Anne! Give the undemocratic federalist extremists hell!

I’m sure she’s speaking for 17.4Mil people.....