Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Ok so in that case the interview I heard on 5live today about the person with 9 personalities isn't online as yet and yeah I've had a quick look because I've posted about it..
9 personalities? Blimey. How many twitter accounts do they have?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Greenmile wrote:No. He just needs to do what I did and Google “Ian Hislop Brexit backstop”. It’s really not difficult. Google links to videos as well as text.

Happy to help.
So you're saying google does index all Ian Hislop transcripts from HIGNIFY?

You're not really helping as much as going in circles, so as to avoid admitting you're wrong.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Ok so in that case the interview I heard on 5live today about the person with 9 personalities isn't online as yet and yeah I've had a quick look because I've posted about it..
I don’t see your point.

You’re talking about a radio show, broadcast today, about something that is not “current affairs”y or particularly controversial so it doesn’t bear much relevance to the quoted post.

It will probably be available online within a couple of days though.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:36 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Assumption.... Ah that explains a lot. I cannot remember the last time I saw an Express, and I have never once visited their site other than through a link on here.

Just when you thought you were doing so well too...
My assumption is that you’ve misremembered or misunderstood what you’ve seen, but you’re too proud to admit it.

That’s me giving you the benefit of the doubt. It’s better to lie to avoid wounded pride than to intentionally mislead folk, imo.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Just to clarify it wasnt just that I couldnt find the clip that confused me. Elwa's original comment was about Ireland suffering from the EU's "pigheadedness" around the backstop.

I googled Ian Hislop and the backstop and low and behold there was a current Express media article about an anti EU Ian Hislop rant and Ireland suffering from the EU's "Pigheadedness"

I looked at the article and basically the Express had used an old 2003 HIGNFY Hislop rant as clickbait to link to the actual article which was the opinion of Brexit Party MEP Alex Phillips. The HIslop video had nothing to do with the backstop or Brexit.

I could not find any other HIGNFY clip or Hislop clip where he talked about the backstop. It seems to me that Elwa read the lovely Brexit Party opinion piece which told him what he wanted to hear but had mistakenly linked it to the Express Hislop clickbait (exactly as the Express probably hoped)

Just to add my last exchange with Elwa I asked him to backup his view that the Irish Backstop issue would be overcome and all he could do was say it was based on a R4 interview with the ex-German chancellor (a dubious character in himself) and again I couldnt find any link or evidence of this interview and Elwa was not prepared to explain how the interview convinced him

Greenmile has added another example where Elwa has come out with a statement on things based on something he has seen as heard which there is no evidence.

Now he likes to claim he has no skin in the game and is very anti-political and researches all sides but to me he just comes across as another Brexiteer / Tory / Right Wing poster who makes bold statements that dont stand up to scrutiny

Now I ignore and dont even debate fantasists like DSR or Colburn, trolls like Ringo or apologists like Sid but ive given Elwa the benefit of the doubt that he claims to be reasoned and balanced but to me he looks just as bad as the rest so I'll leave him to it from now on

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Greenmile wrote:I don’t see your point.

You’re talking about a radio show, broadcast today, about something that is not “current affairs”y or particularly controversial so it doesn’t bear much relevance to the quoted post.

It will probably be available online within a couple of days though.
Maybe it will, maybe it won't but I'm just showing you that not everything is online when needed.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:40 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:9 personalities? Blimey. How many twitter accounts do they have?
Dunno, you should ask them, I've got none so I can't.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So you're saying google does index all Ian Hislop transcripts from HIGNIFY?

You're not really helping as much as going in circles, so as to avoid admitting you're wrong.
Why are you going on about transcripts?

Google indexes everything on the internet. I’d be confident that most if not all of the HIGNFY episodes ever broadcast are on the internet. Even if I’m wrong, I’m sure any record of an avowed remainer claiming the backstop isn’t a problem would be easily found on Google.

It isn’t though, because it never happened. Elwa imagined it, and is now too ashamed to admit it.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Just to clarify it wasnt just that I couldnt find the clip that confused me. Elwa's original comment was about Ireland suffering from the EU's "pigheadedness" around the backstop.

I googled Ian Hislop and the backstop and low and behold there was a current Express media article about an anti EU Ian Hislop rant and Ireland suffering from the EU's "Pigheadedness"

I looked at the article and basically the Express had used an old 2003 HIGNFY Hislop rant as clickbait to link to the actual article which was the opinion of Brexit Party MEP Alex Phillips. The HIslop video had nothing to do with the backstop or Brexit.

I could not find any other HIGNFY clip or Hislop clip where he talked about the backstop. It seems to me that Elwa read the lovely Brexit Party opinion piece which told him what he wanted to hear but had mistakenly linked it to the Express Hislop clickbait (exactly as the Express probably hoped)...
It’s pretty obvious that this is exactly what’s happened.

Edit - and Sidney & darthlaw have piled on in his defence, not because they believe that Hislop actually said what Elwa claims, but because he’s on “their side” so they have to defend him / attack me irrespective of who is right or wrong. NB - I’m no doubt as guilty as anyone else when it comes to this type of behaviour - it’s human nature, I’m afraid.
Last edited by Greenmile on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Just to clarify it wasnt just that I couldnt find the clip that confused me. Elwa's original comment was about Ireland suffering from the EU's "pigheadedness" around the backstop.

I could not find any other HIGNFY clip or Hislop clip where he talked about the backstop. It seems to me that Elwa read the lovely Brexit Party opinion piece which told him what he wanted to hear but had mistakenly linked it to the Express Hislop clickbait (exactly as the Express probably hoped)

Just to add my last exchange with Elwa I asked him to backup his view that the Irish Backstop issue would be overcome and all he could do was say it was based on a R4 interview with the ex-German chancellor (a dubious character in himself) and again I couldnt find any link or evidence of this interview and Elwa was not prepared to explain how the interview convinced him

Greenmile has added another example where Elwa has come out with a statement on things based on something he has seen as heard which there is no evidence.

Now he likes to claim he has no skin in the game and is very anti-political and researches all sides but to me he just comes across as another Brexiteer / Tory / Right Wing poster who makes bold statements that dont stand up to scrutiny

Now I ignore and dont even debate fantasists like DSR or Colburn, trolls like Ringo or apologists like Sid but ive given Elwa the benefit of the doubt that he claims to be reasoned and balanced but to me he looks just as bad as the rest so I'll leave him to it from now on
No really wasn’t any link, but hey ho.
Entirely up to you old boy. But no, I’m not right or even overly Brexit, just wish it was over... however the cards fall. Though, I readily admit to having voted that way. I just put up snippets about things I think others may have heard, looking at potential ways forward, but not to sit here justifying myself. Anyway you must do as you feel right.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Maybe it will, maybe it won't but I'm just showing you that not everything is online when needed.
I never claimed it was. The cure for cancer to give just one example of “things you can’t find online when you really need them”.

Another example is “tv shows that only ever existed in someone’s imagination”

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 pm

elwaclaret wrote:No really wasn’t any link, but hey ho.
Entirely up to you old boy. But no, I’m not right or even overly Brexit, just wish it was over... however the cards fall. Though, I readily admit to having voted that way. I just put up snippets about things I think others may have heard, but not to sit here justifying myself. Anyway you must do as you feel right.
Fair enough my minds open to be changed but for now thats my view but as said will leave you alone as no point me just picking at your posts as that kind of stuff isnt good for the board

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Dunno, you should ask them, I've got none so I can't.
Well with you do have form for lying.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Greenmile wrote:I never claimed it was. The cure for cancer to give just one example of “things you can’t find online when you really need them”.

Another example is “tv shows that only ever existed in someone’s imagination”
Clearly you're convinced you're right and I can't be arsed arguing about something this trivial.

Have fun, keep going round and assuming everything is online that supports your side of an argument and no one else's, it's definitely keeping you happy tonight :lol:
This user liked this post: Darthlaw

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Well with you do have form for lying.
Nope, I've only ever had one Twitter account, but I'm not tossing this back and forth again.

You carry on banging one out stating I'm a liar, again I'm not arsed, so long as you're happy sweetheart then I'm happy :lol:

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Clearly you're convinced you're right and I can't be arsed arguing about something this trivial.

Have fun, keep going round and assuming everything is online that supports your side of an argument and no one else's, it's definitely keeping you happy tonight :lol:
Answer me one last question.

Do you believe that Ian Hislop said that “basically the backstop is nonsense”, or are you just pretending to believe that so you can argue with me?

Edit - the quote marks denote a quote from Elwa, not Hislop. I’m not asking whether you believe Hislop used those exact words.
Last edited by Greenmile on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Greenmile wrote:Answer me one last question.

Do you believe that Ian Hislop said that basically the backstop is nonsense, or are you just pretending to believe that so you can argue with me?
You can't even keep track of what argument you're having and with whom.....

I don't follow what Hislop chats about, I've no desire to and probably never will.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So you're saying google does index all Ian Hislop transcripts from HIGNIFY?

Do you seriously believe if Hislop had said what has been claimed someone wouldn’t have clipped it and stuck it on YouTube?

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:57 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Nope, I've only ever had one Twitter account, but I'm not tossing this back and forth again.

You carry on banging one out stating I'm a liar, again I'm not arsed, so long as you're happy sweetheart then I'm happy :lol:
Great stuff. As you jumped in I’m just pointing out whereas I’m sure elwa can be given the benefit of the doubt you do have form for lying on here that’s all.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:59 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You can't even keep track of what argument you're having and with whom.....

I don't follow what Hislop chats about, I've no desire to and probably never will.
So you’re arguing against my point that Elwa imagined the hignfy episode he referenced, just for the sake of arguing with me?

Nowt wrong with that, btw, it’s very much the sort of thing that I might do myself - it’s just nice to be clear on your motives.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 pm

martin_p wrote:Do you seriously believe if Hislop had said what has been claimed someone wouldn’t have clipped it and stuck it on YouTube?
I’m presuming (although happy to be told otherwise) that darthlaw is in the same boat as Sidney - just sticking up for a fellow brexiter’s right to make things up.

It doesn’t matter if he, himself believes the thing Elwa has made up or not - there’s a principle at stake here.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Great stuff. As you jumped in I’m just pointing out whereas I’m sure elwa can be given the benefit of the doubt you do have form for lying on here that’s all.
Yeah apparently I ruin the place all by myself according to one person :lol:

So you can add that to the list whilst you're at it.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 pm

Greenmile wrote:So you’re arguing against my point that Elwa imagined the hignfy episode he referenced, just for the sake of arguing with me?

Nowt wrong with that, btw, it’s very much the sort of thing that I might do myself - it’s just nice to be clear on your motives.
Nope, I just used a current example that's all.

If you don't like the fact I used a non political reference then that's not my problem.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Greenmile wrote:I’m presuming (although happy to be told otherwise) that darthlaw is in the same boat as Sidney - just sticking up for a fellow brexiter’s right to make things up.

It doesn’t matter if he, himself believes the thing Elwa has made up or not - there’s a principle at stake here.
I'm not a brexiteer, in or out not much will change in the long term for me, I just don't agree with the way Remainers have been targeting and bullying the leavers.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Yeah apparently I ruin the place all by myself according to one person :lol:

So you can add that to the list whilst you're at it.
Don’t be silly. You don’t ruin it. It only took five mins to see through the lies. It was more funny than anything.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Nope, I just used a current example that's all.

If you don't like the fact I used a non political reference then that's not my problem.
You’re still not making sense.

What drew you into this discussion if you have no idea whether the tv show Elwa imagined is real or not? What was the point you were trying to make? That it’s wrong of me to ask for evidence when someone makes a claim on here? That not everything ever broadcast can be found on the internet? or what, exactly?

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I'm not a brexiteer, in or out not much will change in the long term for me, I just don't agree with the way Remainers have been targeting and bullying the leavers.
THIS.

You don’t even understand the basic concept that a transcript of what was said would need to be written for google to index Hislops quotes, whether than be on iPlayer, YouTube, Vimeo or any other video hosting platform. That said, you’re content to bully Elwa, in your little Remain echo chamber, for something he thinks he’s heard (whether correct or not). Nevertheless, you’re keen to harangue him until he gives you a web link to the ‘evidence’, throwing insults around like liar until he does.

You can group me and Sydney into whatever faction you like, which you think will garner sympathy, to try and deflect the fact. You and your little echo chamber are still just a bunch of bullies.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I'm not a brexiteer, in or out not much will change in the long term for me, I just don't agree with the way Remainers have been targeting and bullying the leavers.
Yeah, of course you’re not a brexiter. You’re the moderate wise neutral who sees everything from both sides (but only finds time to criticise one side and defend the other, strangely).

Maybe it’s Sidney who’s the brexiter and this GodIsADeejay fella has no opinions on the matter.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Darthlaw wrote:THIS.

You don’t even understand the basic concept that a transcript of what was said would need to be written for google to index Hislops quotes, whether than be on iPlayer, YouTube, Vimeo or any other video hosting platform. That said, you’re content to bully Elwa, in your little Remain echo chamber, for something he thinks he’s heard (whether correct or not). Nevertheless, you’re keen to harangue him until he gives you a web link to the ‘evidence’, throwing insults around like liar until he does.

You can group me and Sydney into whatever faction you like, which you think will garner sympathy, to try and deflect the fact. You and your little echo chamber are still just a bunch of bullies.
Asking for any evidence of a claim is now considered bullying. I suppose it’s inevitable in our post-fact world.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Darthlaw wrote:THIS.

So I’m right then. You don’t believe the thing he made up, but you will defend to the death his right to tell lies (without pesky folk like me pulling him up on it) in the pursuit of Brexit.

Pointing out lies =/= bullying.

Also, I think you might be getting Google mixed up with Ask Jeeves. The internet has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 20 years or so.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Greenmile wrote:Also, I think you might be getting Google mixed up with Ask Jeeves. The internet has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 20 years or so.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He’ll be straight back to you once he’s unplugged the phone.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Echo, echo, echo. It’s amazing you can type so fast with all the back slapping going on.

Just keep throwing the liar card until it sticks eh?

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Oh I do enjoy your moods after a poor United result.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:33 pm

How strange. I didn’t realize you followed my posts and Man U’s results so closely.

You’re a United fan, aren’t you, Bordeaux?

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Full blown Darth fan.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Echo, echo, echo. It’s amazing you can type so fast with all the back slapping going on.

Just keep throwing the liar card until it sticks eh?
So do you think it’s wrong to challenge someone on something they’ve claimed then?

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 pm

It’s understandable, you’re only human.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

martin_p wrote:So do you think it’s wrong to challenge someone on something they’ve claimed then?
I think it’s wrong to scream liar at them but that’s the point you’ve conveniently missed.

I do like that Bordeaux has looked to associate me with Man U, in order to gain sympathy, whilst deflecting from the fact you’re bullying. Is there a standard tactics book they give you guys?

Maybe he could search my posts to find some evidence I am a Man U fan?
Last edited by Darthlaw on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Darthlaw wrote:I think it’s wrong to scream liar at them but that’s the point you’ve conveniently missed.
What’s the correct way to react to somebody who makes something up and stands by it after it’s been shown to be wrong, then? Just shrug and leave them to spread misinformation unchallenged?

Nobody’s screaming anything, btw. Maybe you need to turn down the volume on your bleeding edge text=to=speech program

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Darthlaw wrote:I think it’s wrong to scream liar at them but that’s the point you’ve conveniently missed.

I do like that Bordeaux has looked to associate me with Man U, in order to gain sympathy, whilst deflecting from the fact you’re bullying. Is there a standard tactics book they give you guys?
Sympathy :lol: :lol:

Bullying :lol: :lol:

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Sympathy :lol: :lol:

Bullying :lol: :lol:
Whatever it takes to point and laugh, apparently.

Any proof I’m a United fan yet?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Whatever it takes to point and laugh, apparently.

Any proof I’m a United fan yet?
Bully!!!
These 3 users liked this post: Greenmile Devils_Advocate Bordeauxclaret

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:51 pm

martin_p wrote:Bully!!!
Echo

Don’t get upset you’ve been caught out at your own behavior.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:55 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Echo

Don’t get upset you’ve been caught out at your own behavior.
Upset? No, I’m having fun!

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:56 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Any proof I’m a United fan yet?
I saw a tv programme the other day which proved it beyond any doubt.
These 3 users liked this post: Devils_Advocate Bordeauxclaret Siddo

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:00 pm

Greenmile wrote:I saw a tv programme the other day which proved it beyond any doubt.
So you’ve tried to slander me directly as a Man U fan and now backing out when called out. I believe this is where I call you a liar? You guys will have to help me out as I’m only just getting to grips with how this is done.

That is when you’ve finished in your little circle jerk, of course.

Bordeaux has been missing a while. Maybe he’s searching YouTube for evidence?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So you’ve tried to slander me directly as a Man U fan and now backing out when called out. I believe this is where I call you a liar? You guys will have to help me out as I’m only just getting to grips with how this is done.

That is when you’ve finished in your little circle jerk, of course.

Bordeaux has been missing a while. Maybe he’s searching YouTube for evidence?
Presumably he’s about to pile in and support the unsubstantiated claim just because he holds the same view on Brexit. You’ll have to help me out, I’m new to this evidence free debating.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Echo.

Untangle you’re own mess first before you worry about misunderstanding my criticism of you throwing ‘liar’ around. You could even give him a hand just because you hold the same view on Brexit.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So you’ve tried to slander me directly as a Man U fan and now backing out when called out.
Yes - that was the joke. Well done.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Echo.

Untangle you’re own mess first before you worry about misunderstanding my criticism of you throwing ‘liar’ around.
Well for a start I haven’t thrown ‘liar’ around, it’s ironic you’ve lied about that, and second the only echoing going on around here is from you, come up with a new response. Suggest a more appropriate response to someone who has been the only person to ever hear something on the tv or radio that also doesn’t leave a trace in the Internet. Maybe you can teach us something.