Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 am

Bfcboyo wrote:Boris is showing the character to be a strong leader. It looks like he is going to deliver what the country voted for with nothing to stand in his way ,dragging all of us out including the petulant remainers kicking and screaming.

Spit your dummy out protest and march , kick off and get tear gassed and cry a little more.

Adio Euro.
Yeh that is the spirit no one messes with Bojo and the lads.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:13 am

AlargeClaret wrote:While I’ve little time for David Davis , to compare him politically and ability wise to JRM is nothing short of insane...
That isn’t what I was doing.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:21 am

martin_p wrote:Please tell me how remainers are going to prevent negotiations with the EU.
They can't.
Bit they can prevent meaningful honest negotiations, just by continuing to tell Brussels that if they dont renegotiate, then they will get the referendum overturned.

We all know that is true, so why do you deny it or pretend that isnt the case. If you have right on your side why lie about it.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am

Colburn_Claret wrote: The real liars here, are those claiming that TMs WA was the best we could get. As I've shown lots of times, there is no evidence for that. .
That obviously depends on your definition of "best we could get".
I agree that she could have got a better deal.
If she'd moved a little on her red lines over the CU and SM then she would have solved the Irish border issue and got the deal through Parliament too, but whilst I would consider that to have been a better deal than she brought back you and one or two others on here would no doubt disagree.
That's the sort of deal -by the way - that Farage was advocating prior to the referendum when he repeatedly said that some kind of Norway option would be good, and if May had gone for that from day one then Farage would have been in no position at that point to challenge it. (Being only a couple of months after he had been championing it I mean)

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:39 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:As I just said to Spijed, if he proves incompetent you should be happy it means remainers may well win with the scare tactics.
I think what you really fear is that he isnt as incompetent as you hoped, and he might just succeed.
Those people who told you wed get a good deal, didn't lie to anybody. They could only do that if they knew they couldn't get one. That's yet to be proved because May never even tried.
The real liars here, are those claiming that TMs WA was the best we could get. As I've shown lots of times, there is no evidence for that. Just the repeated rantings of people who never wanted to leave in the first place, and still hope not to leave now.
"If he proves incompetent"? He already has shown this in his part time role as London mayor, and foreign secretary. He's just a son of a rich man who, because wealth is regarded in higher esteem than intelligence, has wormed his way into being PM. He described his £250K salary from the Telegraph as "chicken feed" - so is rich enough that if he fails to get a deal and we do crash out, his life won't be materially affected.

If those leavers who claimed we'd get a good deal were just wrong, then they were stupid, because there were plenty of people who pointed out they were deluded when they originally made their claims.

So you say Theresa May didn't try hard enough to get a deal. And that a better deal could have been achieved? Not with the red lines the brexiteers imposed on our negotiating position, and when you combine that with the EU's position not to compromise an international treaty on the Ireland border, you have zero chance of success. I think this is what some leavers wanted all along, and how many people who voted leave have been conned.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 am

AndrewJB wrote:"If he proves incompetent"? He already has shown this in his part time role as London mayor, and foreign secretary. He's just a son of a rich man who, because wealth is regarded in higher esteem than intelligence, has wormed his way into being PM. He described his £250K salary from the Telegraph as "chicken feed" - so is rich enough that if he fails to get a deal and we do crash out, his life won't be materially affected.
If you think Johnson isn't intelligent, you haven't been paying attention. He's a very intelligent man.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:They can't.
Bit they can prevent meaningful honest negotiations, just by continuing to tell Brussels that if they dont renegotiate, then they will get the referendum overturned.

We all know that is true, so why do you deny it or pretend that isnt the case. If you have right on your side why lie about it.
Get your excuses in now, quickly, before Johnson fails to get a deal. Even if the country were united on this, why would the EU compromise an international treaty and buckle to us? We are the ones leaving, and we can't dictate to them how it's all going to be. We were lied to, and this is the result.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:56 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:As I just said to Spijed, if he proves incompetent you should be happy it means remainers may well win with the scare tactics.
I think what you really fear is that he isnt as incompetent as you hoped, and he might just succeed.
Those people who told you wed get a good deal, didn't lie to anybody. They could only do that if they knew they couldn't get one. That's yet to be proved because May never even tried.
The real liars here, are those claiming that TMs WA was the best we could get. As I've shown lots of times, there is no evidence for that. Just the repeated rantings of people who never wanted to leave in the first place, and still hope not to leave now.
I think I've mentioned before that a friend of a friend was on the negotiation team in Brussels. The view from very early on was that something akin to what we ended up with was the only thing that would respect May's red lines, the EU's red lines and the Good Friday Agreement. There's not really many other options.

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 am

martin_p wrote:Please tell me how remainers are going to prevent negotiations with the EU.
Alright Martin you got me, serves me right for copying someone else late at night. Prevent was the wrong word - hinder would have been better.

Remainers obviously don't want our government wasting time negotiating with the EU, they want them in the commons huffing and puffing over the same old arguments day after day after day. And if they can rule out no deal they know that's a great way to weaken our position in the negotiations and so and so on - you get the idea.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:04 am

dsr wrote:If you think Johnson isn't intelligent, you haven't been paying attention. He's a very intelligent man.
If "paying attention" means reading newspapers that are no better than Pravda, then no I haven't. If I break down "intelligence" to six qualities: common sense, ethics, imagination, intuition, memory, and reason - then Johnson has a serious deficiency in at least one.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 am

John Major has announced he's joining Gina Miller in her legal challenge to stop the prorogation of parliament, claiming it to be an abuse of power!!!

What absolute and utter hypocrisy!!

This is the very same John Major who had no trouble in proroguing Parliament when he "abused his power" in 1997, when prorogation delayed the publication of a highly embarrassing report into the “cash for questions” sleaze scandal involving his Government.

I bet he's glad nobody tried to sue him !!!

But lets look at his viewpoint on brexit and his newly found and convenient dislike, but clearly hypocritical, attitude to prorogation.

Major is a Remoaner. He did not want change, he wanted the uk to stay in the EU. He wanted keep the status quo , as he saw it.

Prorogation is being portrayed by the hysteria riddled remoaners ( and mainstream media) as a coup, as an undemocratic power grab. In reality, it simply keeps the law as it is. Prorogation keeps the legal status quo.

What is the legal status quo? Answer - No deal. Which it wouldn't have been , if our elected representatives (MPs) hadn’t already voted for No Deal. When they set it as the legal default by passing the EU Withdrawal Act a year ago!!!!

Summary - John Major used prorogation to stop an enquiry into the dodgy dealings that his government was clearly upto its neck in.

John Major is attempting to stop the current PM from using prorogation to simply implement the result of the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:09 am

AndrewJB wrote:If "paying attention" means reading newspapers that are no better than Pravda, then no I haven't. If I break down "intelligence" to six qualities: common sense, ethics, imagination, intuition, memory, and reason - then Johnson has a serious deficiency in at least one.
Can you name anyone who does meet your standards of "intelligent", preferably someone that most people could agree on?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:14 am

android wrote:Alright Martin you got me, serves me right for copying someone else late at night. Prevent was the wrong word - hinder would have been better.

Remainers obviously don't want our government wasting time negotiating with the EU, they want them in the commons huffing and puffing over the same old arguments day after day after day. And if they can rule out no deal they know that's a great way to weaken our position in the negotiations and so and so on - you get the idea.
Undermine.

Embolden the EU.

Subvert

Present a divided front.

Weaken

Do the dirty work for the EU.

Impede

Compromise

Impair

Dilute bargaining position

Hamper

Set back

Inhibit

Hold back

Frustrate

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Undermine.

Embolden the EU.

Subvert

Present a divided front.

Weaken

Compromise

Impair

Ever since leave won the referendum, it has made extraordinary claims as to why it has failed to produce the sunlit uplands it promised. None of which include; "we were wrong". Always the fault of the other side. The con goes on...

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:27 am

dsr wrote:If you think Johnson isn't intelligent, you haven't been paying attention. He's a very intelligent man.

I guess it comes down to how you measure intelligence, to call him very intelligent, is being extremely generous.

He’s been educated to the highest level, but I don’t think he is a particularly great thinker or speaker.

Calculating, ambitious, borderline dishonest and sly are his characteristics, whilst putting on a show of being one of the lads who wants the best for everyone.

Just an opinion.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:28 am

AndrewJB wrote:Ever since leave won the referendum, it has made extraordinary claims as to why it has failed to produce the sunlit uplands it promised. None of which include; "we were wrong". Always the fault of the other side. The con goes on...
Acknowledgment. It's a start!!!!

The next stage is respect. After that, accept.

Baby steps Andrew, baby steps.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 am

Heathclaret wrote:I guess it comes down to how you measure intelligence, to call him very intelligent, is being extremely generous.

He’s been educated to the highest level, but I don’t think he is a particularly great thinker or speaker.
Or author, presumably.

You can't educate someone to the highest level if they aren't intelligent.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:40 am

dsr wrote:Can you name anyone who does meet your standards of "intelligent", preferably someone that most people could agree on?
Why do I have to name someone else when we're talking about Johnson's shortcomings as a political leader? If you think he's so good, then give us some examples of how he's been so. What did he do as London Mayor, or Foreign Secretary that back you up? We're talking about a man who has suggested building a bridge to France. Imagination - check! Common Sense - erm, no! Do we even need to consider Ethics? He's far from the best we have. He's a Carlton Palmer (as a manager).

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:45 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:They can't.

And how are they going to get the referendum result overturned? There isn’t currently a parliamentary majority for a second referendum, never mind overturning the result!

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 am

dsr wrote:Or author, presumably.

You can't educate someone to the highest level if they aren't intelligent.
I think you know what I meant, he has been given the opportunity of a first class education, one not accessible to most and if it weren’t for the old school tie privilege, I doubt he would have amounted to much.

You can teach reasonably dumb animals quite a lot, if you have the time and money to invest in them.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 am

3rd Brexit secretary suddenly understanding something everyone has been saying since day 1.
brx.jpg
brx.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 1596 times

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:53 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Acknowledgment. It's a start!!!!

The next stage is respect. After that, accept.

And those sunlit uplands?

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:54 am

AndrewJB wrote:Why do I have to name someone else when we're talking about Johnson's shortcomings as a political leader? If you think he's so good, then give us some examples of how he's been so. What did he do as London Mayor, or Foreign Secretary that back you up? We're talking about a man who has suggested building a bridge to France. Imagination - check! Common Sense - erm, no! Do we even need to consider Ethics? He's far from the best we have. He's a Carlton Palmer (as a manager).
The point being that I reckon your definition of intelligent is so restrictive that hardly anyone would qualify. Does anyone (below the level of Stephen Hawking) meet your standards?

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:John Major has announced he's joining Gina Miller in her legal challenge to stop the prorogation of parliament, claiming it to be an abuse of power!!!

What absolute and utter hypocrisy!!

This is the very same John Major who had no trouble in proroguing Parliament when he "abused his power" in 1997, when prorogation delayed the publication of a highly embarrassing report into the “cash for questions” sleaze scandal involving his Government.

That's not strictly true.
He prorogued Parliament and called a General Election, so the two aren't really comparable.
Where you are totally correct however is that it had the effect of delaying the publication of the "cash for questions" report until after the election, so he was indeed accused of political opportunism or an abuse of power.
It is however always the case that Parliament is prorogued leading up to a General Election.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 am

Heathclaret wrote:I think you know what I meant, he has been given the opportunity of a first class education, one not accessible to most and if it weren’t for the old school tie privilege, I doubt he would have amounted to much.

You can teach reasonably dumb animals quite a lot, if you have the time and money to invest in them.
If you throw enough glitter at a turd, it will sparkle.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 am

CombatClaret wrote:3rd Brexit secretary suddenly understanding something everyone has been saying since day 1.
brx.jpg
Actually, "everyone" (ie. Remainers) have been saying "it can't be done, it can't be done, cancel Brexit". There has been very little ambition to see how it could be done.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 am

MP.jpg
MP.jpg (210.8 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:03 pm

dsr wrote:The point being that I reckon your definition of intelligent is so restrictive that hardly anyone would qualify. Does anyone (below the level of Stephen Hawking) meet your standards?
It's not restrictive at all. Six qualities, and many people have them to a greater or lesser degree. It's not a matter of being a ten in every category, but having a reasonable balance. As other people have said, Johnson is where he is more to do with the wealth of his father than anything else. That's what private education gets you. A low quality elite.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:05 pm

People are going to be really unhappy with this suggestion that wealth creators need to be able to move freely between territories.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.12 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:07 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:That's not strictly true.
He prorogued Parliament and called a General Election, so the two aren't really comparable.
Where you are totally correct however is that it had the effect of delaying the publication of the "cash for questions" report until after the election, so he was indeed accused of political opportunism or an abuse of power.
It is however always the case that Parliament is prorogued leading up to a General Election.
What I'm puzzled by is why hasn't BoJo just called an election to happen before the 31st rather than all the current shenanigans

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:09 pm

All hail the lying PM!
Attachments
pr.jpg
pr.jpg (76.19 KiB) Viewed 1577 times

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:12 pm

That's a bad (like really bad) photoshop surely, the two halves of paper aren't even the same colour.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:14 pm

CombatClaret wrote:3rd Brexit secretary suddenly understanding something everyone has been saying since day 1.
brx.jpg
We need to start talks now.
WTF
We should have been having these talks for the last 2.5 years. It should all be sorted by now. We both know why it isn't , and it's not because of Boris. TM stopped Civil Servants from preparing for Brexit, ask yourself why?

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:18 pm

SonofPog wrote:That's a bad (like really bad) photoshop surely, the two halves of paper aren't even the same colour.
I know, I just wanted the signature in but without all the guff about One Nation Conservatives, whom he's also shafted.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:30 pm

AndrewJB wrote:And those sunlit uplands?
All in good time.

Next stage , "respect"

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:32 pm

AndrewJB wrote:"If he proves incompetent"? He already has shown this in his part time role as London mayor, and foreign secretary. He's just a son of a rich man who, because wealth is regarded in higher esteem than intelligence, has wormed his way into being PM. He described his £250K salary from the Telegraph as "chicken feed" - so is rich enough that if he fails to get a deal and we do crash out, his life won't be materially affected.

If those leavers who claimed we'd get a good deal were just wrong, then they were stupid, because there were plenty of people who pointed out they were deluded when they originally made their claims.

So you say Theresa May didn't try hard enough to get a deal. And that a better deal could have been achieved? Not with the red lines the brexiteers imposed on our negotiating position, and when you combine that with the EU's position not to compromise an international treaty on the Ireland border, you have zero chance of success. I think this is what some leavers wanted all along, and how many people who voted leave have been conned.
Sorry, but you just spout the same opinionated rubbish
There are little to no facts in your assumptions.
If leavers who claimed wed get a good deal are just wrong. How do you know they're wrong in 2.5 years they've never been given the opportunity to show that one way or the other.

The red lines are Brexit, if you give up on them you give up on Brexit, which is what the WA agreement was. It wasnt away to deliver Brexit, it was a way to claim we'd left, when really we hadn't at all. Wed still have been tied to the bureaucracy of the EU. Only we'd be sat outside the room waiting to be told what to do, rather than sat inside the room waiting to be told what to do.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:45 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:That's not strictly true.
You want to argue the reasons they did it "aren't really comparable"

They are. Why? Because they exercised their constitutional right to do so (despite the BS spouted by mainstream media and hysterical remoaners about power grabs and coups) to maintain the status quo.

As a remoamer , you hate the hypocrisy of one of your own being highlighted.

Major prorogued parliament to maintain the status quo, and stop the People being made aware of how corrupt his government was.

Johnson is using prorogation to maintain the status quo
by our elected representatives (MPs) voting for No Deal. When they set it as the legal default by passing the EU Withdrawal Act a year ago, and implementing the will of the People.

The former wanted to hide the truth from The People

The latter wants to enact their Will.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Get your excuses in now, quickly, before Johnson fails to get a deal. Even if the country were united on this, why would the EU compromise an international treaty and buckle to us? We are the ones leaving, and we can't dictate to them how it's all going to be. We were lied to, and this is the result.
Not an excuse it's a fact, one I've been stating for a long time if you can be bothered to check. We can still get a deal, but its 99% sure we cant negotiate anything until after we've left.
As long as the EU does nothing concedes nothing, it has no effect on them. It just perpetuates the status quo. That all changes if we leave without a deal. We trade under WTO, it's worse, but nothing terminal, but it's also worse for them. The problems you forecast we will have exporting to Europe, must be exactly the same problems they will face exporting to the UK. we share the same ports, the same paperwork issues, the same traffic hold ups, if they turn out to be true.
Only as a typical remainer, this CHAOS only affects us, products from Europe will flow as sweet as a nut.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote: The red lines are Brexit
The red lines were not on the ballot paper, neither was No Deal or Norway + etc.
That's why we're in this mess, because the only thing Brexit means is... Brexit..?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 pm

If the govt lose the case in court next week will Boris have to resign for telling porkies to Liz?

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:The red lines are Brexit, if you give up on them you give up on Brexit
No. The red lines are your Brexit. As we've been told repeatedly, leave means leave, there was no question about how we leave on the ballot paper. Leaving with a Norway style deal is as valid as No Deal (possibly more valid given that a number of prominent Brexiteers such as Farage referenced a Norway type deal before the referendum).

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

aggi wrote:I think I've mentioned before that a friend of a friend was on the negotiation team in Brussels. The view from very early on was that something akin to what we ended up with was the only thing that would respect May's red lines, the EU's red lines and the Good Friday Agreement. There's not really many other options.
The EUs red lines are only incumbent on its members. They cant impose their red lines on anyone, just negotiate an agreement with the outside body. If they want to change those red lines, and move the goal posts, then they have to renegotiate. As an incumbent you dont renegotiate anything, you just get told what the changes are. If you disagree, you just get voted down, and you cant unilaterally refuse, because the way the spiders web works is if you accept some of the threads, you are tied to them all.

That's all we want, the opportunity to negotiate a deal with them, escape the spiders web, it's not a lot to ask for really. If as remainers argue the EU has never done anything but good for us, it should be fairly straight forward to start off many things by adopting the status quo, continuing as we are. That doesn't mean that if they decide to move the goal posts down the line we should have to accept, just renegotiate.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:11 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Undermine.

Embolden the EU.

Subvert

Present a divided front.

Weaken

Impede

Compromise

Impair

Hamper

Set back

Inhibit

Hold back

Frustrate
Any and all of the above. Surely not, these people are democrats

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Sorry, but you just spout the same opinionated rubbish
There are little to no facts in your assumptions.
If leavers who claimed wed get a good deal are just wrong. How do you know they're wrong in 2.5 years they've never been given the opportunity to show that one way or the other.

The red lines are Brexit, if you give up on them you give up on Brexit, which is what the WA agreement was. It wasnt away to deliver Brexit, it was a way to claim we'd left, when really we hadn't at all. Wed still have been tied to the bureaucracy of the EU. Only we'd be sat outside the room waiting to be told what to do, rather than sat inside the room waiting to be told what to do.
Three years have elapsed since the referendum, and we are precisely nowhere. The government has failed to deliver, and not because certain people didn't believe enough, but because what they promised is simply not possible. Remain supporters didn't invent the Northern Irish Peace Accord to foil brexit. It was always there, and all leavers said about it was that it was no big deal. It was a small problem that would be surmounted. It's obviously not.

Again, and I think you know this, if leave had campaigned to exit the single market and customs union as well as just the EU, they wouldn't have won the referendum.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Spijed wrote:If the govt lose the case in court next week will Boris have to resign for telling porkies to Liz?
What is this court case actually challenging? Is it that proroguing parliament should not be allowed at all, or is it just that it shouldn't be allowed except at the Remainers' convenience?

Johnson was appointed PM on 24th July. Since then, including today, there have been 37 days, on which Parliament has voluntarily and of its own accord, without impediment by the Prime Minister, chosen to sit on 1. 1 day out of 37. Why are they so fussed about losing 6 more scheduled days in and around the conference season?

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Ever since leave won the referendum, it has made extraordinary claims as to why it has failed to produce the sunlit uplands it promised. None of which include; "we were wrong". Always the fault of the other side. The con goes on...
As someone who is anti British, you do a very good impersonation of Nelson at Trafalgar. 'I see no ships'.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:The EUs red lines are only incumbent on its members. They cant impose their red lines on anyone, just negotiate an agreement with the outside body. If they want to change those red lines, and move the goal posts, then they have to renegotiate. As an incumbent you dont renegotiate anything, you just get told what the changes are. If you disagree, you just get voted down, and you cant unilaterally refuse, because the way the spiders web works is if you accept some of the threads, you are tied to them all.
Yes, that’s why we’re part of Schengen and the Euro. Why do you continue to write lies that are so easily disproved?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:17 pm

dsr wrote:What is this court case actually challenging? Is it that proroguing parliament should not be allowed at all, or is it just that it shouldn't be allowed except at the Remainers' convenience?

Johnson was appointed PM on 24th July. Since then, including today, there have been 37 days, on which Parliament has voluntarily and of its own accord, without impediment by the Prime Minister, chosen to sit on 1. 1 day out of 37. Why are they so fussed about losing 6 more scheduled days in and around the conference season?
I believe its arguing that the advice Johnson gave to the queen as part of his request was false and unlawful ergo Spijed's point that if this is proven and he has lied to the Queen on such a matter should he be duty bound to resign

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Spijed wrote:If the govt lose the case in court next week will Boris have to resign for telling porkies to Liz?
Remain lost the case today didn't they?

Or are they going to try again and again until they get the result they want?

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:32 pm

CombatClaret wrote:The red lines were not on the ballot paper, neither was No Deal or Norway + etc.
That's why we're in this mess, because the only thing Brexit means is... Brexit..?
If you truly believe that, why didn't you say something before the vote, or were you just stupid.
I dont mean to be offensive, but all this hindsight is just a smoke screen.
People were asked if they wanted to stay or leave, we voted to leave. If the terms of that departure were so important, why did nobody flag it up at the time.
I haven't heard anyone who voted to leave saying they only wanted to leave if we got a good deal.
However remainers are full of it, that nobody voted to leave without a deal.
The fact is, and it is a FACT, the people shouting loudest, are the same people who would vote against a deal, if it was covered in chocolate and covered in Goldleaf. If Boris came back with a deal 10 times better than the most ardent Brexiteer ever dreamt of, these people would still vote against it.
So as I said it's a smokescreen, a lie. Repeated over and over, in the hope that the gullible will fall for it.
Are you gullible?