Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:The good news is that prorogueing Parliament has been declared lawful by the Scottish court so they can get this bill passed stopping no deal and then all have a nice long break.
If the bill goes through this week the prorogation will become a bit of an irrelevance (apart from probably getting more annoyed Tories to vote for the bill of course)

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:58 am

martin_p wrote:I deleted nothing you fool, if you hit the quote button it doesn’t do embedded quotes. Have you managed to find the post where I said what you claim by the way? Clue- you won’t.

Anyway, you continue to play with your favourite old toy, I’ll let you get on with it.
Just stick Ringo and Elizabeth on mute, he makes no contribution whatsoever to the discussion. He's nothing more than a distracting noise and a bad smell, like a crying child in a dirty nappy.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:59 am

You all having a good Brexit aye?
These 2 users liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex Lord Beamish

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:00 am

martin_p wrote:Thanks for giving the annoying yappy dog a toy to play with Andrew, it means the grown ups can have a proper conversation.
martin_p wrote: You do know it's not Bercow that will define what the vote is don't you? He's just the facilitator Wrongo

"Grown ups" admit they were wrong!.....

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:00 am

martin_p wrote:If the bill goes through this week the prorogation will become a bit of an irrelevance (apart from probably getting more annoyed Tories to vote for the bill of course)
Yep. And I'm sure the Tories will have a constructive and meaningful conference too.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:You all having a good Brexit aye?
It's always been fun but now it's gone full Monty Python :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am

aggi wrote:And this is why the country is ******. The arrogance to state that 48% of the country should have no say in the future of the country.

I know you like to blame everyone but your own side for us not having left yet but this kind of stance is the real reason we haven't left the EU. Telling virtually half of the country "you lost, go screw yourself" and then whinging when they push back is spectacularly self-absorbed.
It’s called a democracy and as Churchill ( actually did say)

“Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…”
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Just stick Ringo and Elizabeth on mute, he makes no contribution whatsoever to the discussion. He's nothing more than a distracting noise and a bad smell, like a crying child in a dirty nappy.

Come on. Somebody has to provide a counter balance for your posts!

Fairs fair!

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:04 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:You all having a good Brexit aye?
Aye, still quaffing the Remain Champagne :lol:

Must remember to chill a bottle in the fridge for November 8-)

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1984 times
Has Liked: 2873 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:08 am

Surprised by the number of whip withdrawals, but I was ridiculed for suggesting this would be the path we all go down a few months ago... especially re Ken Clark and the ilk being deselected, though he announced his retirement prior to his expulsion.

The extended break was a bridge too far, and would have served Brexit better had they just left parliament going around in circles rather than attempt to stir the pot, but the extra days recess would in ‘normal times’ be seen as perfectly legitimate for a in coming cabinet to underline their policies. But these are not normal times.

I now expect October to be scuppered. Leaving parliament in tatters, as most of the accepted practices of parliament are now questioned. Parliamentary reform, of whatever ilk is now essential. We have a PM who has demonstrated given a larger majority could easily have ended parliamentary democracy, we have the two houses changing the rules meaning legislative process is also now a lot mirkier than it was thought.

Personally I expect the law to be passed, and Boris’s push to fail. However, the election will then trigger a similar implosion within Labour and the Liberals will become second party. The Conservatives will drive a bus through the Liberal domestic policy and will return to power with a workable majority.

Whether this will ultimately prevent Brexit, I seriously doubt... but a re invigorated Right leaning Tory party with a good majority and weak opposition is a far more dangerous long term prospect than a potential deal that would have been presented to this parliament.

Much as Remain are celebrating, not as much as the right side of the Tory party, who now will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of having free reign, soon. So,I can see the Rudd’s and Reece Mogg’s believing that all remains to be played for...

We live in interesting times.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:11 am

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Tough how? It's another ploy to get their no deal brexit through, none of the opposition leaders are daft enough to fall for that obvious trap in the same way Parliament is going to vote against no deal tomorrow to stop him running down the clock by prorogueing Parliament.

Why would anyone fall for that??

Just because Boris Johnson points at Corbyn and says a load of blah you think it's viable?

You need help mate.

If the village idiot deselects the rebels then it won't be long until everybody realises they don't need an election if they can agree on the leader of a national unity government he'll be forced out without one.
Everyone knows it's an elephant trap,which is why the opposition parties rightly want legal safeguards to rule out no deal before an election.

I think you need to read my post again i never said what Johnson spouted was viable and i certainly wouldn't trust him not to change any GE date.

Of course as Rory Stewart eloquently stated this morning the easiest way to take no deal off the table is to get a deal.and like or lump it May's deal is the only one one on the table ATM,you would hope common sense would prevail and this WA maybe with subtle amendments could command a majority in the house,but this will require compromise,and sadly there's been little of that so far,i'd even accept a CU as part of the agreement just to get the process moving again.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 am

Labour -

"Boris Johnson has no mandate. We need a general election to bring tory austerity to an end. We need to be able to invest in a public sector that has suffered immeasurably for nearly ten years."

Have a general election then.

Labour - "No chance!"

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 am

I would advise Boris to bypass parliament (which refuses to make a decision) and have a second 'clarification' referendum to confirm how we leave the EU:

1. No deal exit
2. The current UK/EU withdrawal agreement

Let the (now very well informed) people make the decision as they are the ones who will have to make it work.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am

Mala591 wrote:I would advise Boris to bypass parliament (which refuses to make a decision) and have a second 'clarification' referendum to confirm how we leave the EU:

1. No deal exit
2. The current UK/EU withdrawal agreement

Let the (now very well informed) people make the decision as they are the ones who will have to make it work.
Awesome, two things that definitely won't be happening :lol:

Boris is history, he fell at the first hurdle, he knows now that he'll have to crawl off to the EU and ask for an extension.
I think there's an outside chance he'll quit today, if not it'll be before he has to secure an extension.
The three opposition leaders watched him lose control of his own party, have his first bill voted down then sack longstanding members of his own party for doing what he himself did twice before this year.
Today he has to do the same if anyone else declines to be bullied by an unelected, despotic, tinpot arsehole.
What a complete tool.

Brexit 3 British Prime Ministers 0

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Labour -

"Boris Johnson has no mandate. We need a general election to bring tory austerity to an end. We need to be able to invest in a public sector that has suffered immeasurably for nearly ten years."

Labour - "No chance!"
It was always going to happen, Labour have yet to go through their version of the night of the long knives... Brexit was just too important to have festering within their party. Parliament will get their law. The Tories will get their election mandate and a far more right wing party in power will ultimately be the result (see my previous post higher on this or last page). This may be seen as history as a very Pyrrhic victory, ultimately for the centre left.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Labour -

Labour - "No chance!"
It’d give your posts more credence if you actually knew what Labour had said.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:40 am

elwaclaret wrote:It was always going to happen, Labour have yet to go through their version of the night of the long knives... Brexit was just too important to have festering within their party. Parliament will get their law. The Tories will get their election mandate and a far more right wing party in power will ultimately be the result (see my previous post higher on this or last page). This may be seen as history as a very Pyrrhic victory, ultimately for the centre left.
I read your post, mostly agreeing with it.

The Achilles Heal is if the tories dont agree to some kind of deal with the brexit party.

In places just like Burnley.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Awesome, two things that definitely won't be happening :lol:

Boris is history, he fell at the first hurdle, he knows now that he'll have to crawl off to the EU and ask for an extension.
I think there's an outside chance he'll quit today, if not it'll be before he has to secure an extension.
The three opposition leaders watched him lose control of his own party, have his first bill voted down then sack longstanding members of his own party for doing what he himself did twice before this year.
Today he has to do the same if anyone else declines to be bullied by an unelected, despotic, tinpot arsehole.
What a complete tool.

Brexit 3 British Prime Ministers 0
You think so?

I think this will ultimately propel BJ into a a legitimate Prime Minister, with a far more right wing party behind him. This may well become the worst possible outcome for both remain and the country at large. The Labour Party have yet to instigate their own cull of dessenters and the Liberal domestic agenda is very rarely a vote winner. I think this may be the worst possible outcome for the average working man/ woman, as the Torres lose their enforced catch all domestic policies for five years of doing pretty much as they please.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:45 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:I read your post, mostly agreeing with it.

The Achilles Heal is if the tories dont agree to some kind of deal with the brexit party.

The counter balance to that is that means "No Deal"

It means anyone who wants a deal has to vote for someone else.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:45 am

martin_p wrote:It’d give your posts more credence if you actually knew what Labour had said.
I'd give you more credibility if you could bring yourself to admitting you were wrong. After I'd predicted nearly a year ago that Bercows role would be pivotal.

To which you said -
martin_p wrote: You do know it's not Bercow that will define what the vote is don't you? He's just the facilitator Wrongo
It's the "grown up" thing to do.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:I read your post, mostly agreeing with it.

Again understand your point, which is why I feel this new law will bite remain on the backside. If no deal becomes illegal the Brexit party no longer has a reason to live, other than possibly to keep Farage in the public eye... where it will again dwindle as UKIP has.

This law does BJ’s little harm in the long term, and even boosts Leave,long term, potentially pulling the right together.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 am

elwaclaret wrote:You think so?

I think this will ultimately propel BJ into a a legitimate Prime Minister, with a far more right wing party behind him. This may well become the worst possible outcome for both remain and the country at large. The Labour Party have yet to instigate their own cull of dessenters and the Liberal domestic agenda is very rarely a vote winner. I think this may be the worst possible outcome for the average working man/ woman, as the Torres lose their enforced catch all domestic policies for five years of doing pretty much as they please.
A genius move and thus beyond their capabilities.

There will be no election until Boris has shuffled off to beg for his extension, which he won't do, he'll resign.

I honestly think he'll go tonight if a load more tories rebel.

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 am

So what happens next ? This bill passes ( 100%) GE call voted down (100%) PM running a minority govt . Does Boris either resign ? Or go to the EU cap in hand ? are there other options ?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:The counter balance to that is that means "No Deal"

Remind me again, how did Corbyn and the labour front bench vote when it came to what your beloved eu say is the only deal on offer?

They voted against it.

Boris voted for it......

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am

The Tories are about to self combust if Boris goes ( very possible) they’re literally turkeys voting ( or not!) for Xmas . Without Boris an election will be likely called and Farage’s mob will go into heavy action and the Tories will welcome back the “ Hague years “ utter wilderness and even the horror of Corbyn as PM

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 am

elwaclaret wrote:This law does BJ’s little harm in the long term, and even boosts Leave,long term, potentially pulling the right together.
These posts are literally incredible, you can convince yourself of anything if you believe this crap. You think Dom and Boris met afterwards and slapped each other on the back and said "Yeah we played a blinder there"??

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:55 am

elwaclaret wrote:Again understand your point, which is why I feel this new law will bite remain on the backside. If no deal becomes illegal the Brexit party no longer has a reason to live, other than possibly to keep Farage in the public eye... where it will again dwindle as UKIP has.

This law does BJ’s little harm in the long term, and even boosts Leave,long term, potentially pulling the right together.
Agreed.

Apart from who you describe as being pulled together.

You say "the right".

I'd say it will be people who believe in the idea old fashioned idea that, the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed , should actually be implemented. Democrats.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:56 am

AlargeClaret wrote:So what happens next ? This bill passes ( 100%) GE call voted down (100%) PM running a minority govt . Does Boris either resign ? Or go to the EU cap in hand ? are there other options ?
No.

If I was the opposition I'd vote to extend prorogueing Parliament until the 29th October too.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Remind me again, how did Corbyn and the labour front bench vote when it came to what your beloved eu say is the only deal on offer?

They voted against it.

Boris voted for it......
I didn't ask a question, I just stated a fact.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:59 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:The counter balance to that is that means "No Deal"

Good point i suspect the Conservatives are banking on the fact that there isn't an obvious alternative party for moderate leavers to vote for,the Lib Dems,SNP,Plaid and the Greens are adamantly backing remain,that narrows the options down to Labour pretty much,and Labour's policy is moving towards backing remain also,though there is caveats to that.

The danger with the government's current position is they are alienating the ALAND'S,and if they persist with this extreme strategy brexit may well not happen at all.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I didn't ask a question, I just stated a fact.

I did both.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 pm

There is a widespread view amongst remainers that Boris would lose a GE. Could I ask their prediction as who will win it, then?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:A genius move and thus beyond their capabilities.

There will be no election until Boris has shuffled off to beg for his extension, which he won't do, he'll resign.

I honestly think he'll go tonight if a load more tories rebel.
Possible of course. But if he does it will be merely be to create a pro Boris groundswell. Serious politically minded people tend to overlook the power of the ‘popularist’ (Hate the term). There are a lot of people out their who love him, even if it is just that they feel they can relate to him. I’m pretty sure the shock of last night will already have worn off and central office will be working on the new, if anything more solid platform that now presents itself.... while retaining his moral ground of “well you cannot say I didn’t try, but they stopped me ringing loud and clear on his election tour.

While certain posters will always label me an arch Brexiteer, I fear the destination now far more dangerous than had Boris come back with something parliament could work on and at least call a deal in order to move onto actually sorting out phase two, where all this should have been dealt with from the start, as was the original intention. I think a BAD Brexit is now just as likely, but with an election mandate behind it.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 pm

If it be your will wrote:There is a widespread view amongst remainers that Boris would lose a GE. Could I ask their prediction as who will win it, then?
I'm not convinced he would lose but if he did it would be to some form of coalition (SNP and Labour I'd guess)

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Dominic Grieve on LBC yesterday-

Nick Ferrari " 30000 of your constituents have signed a petition for your deselection"

Dominic Greive, "They're irrelevant "

Unlike Grieve, after the next general election, they'll still have their job!

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5518 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:10 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Possible of course. But if he does it will be merely be to create a pro Boris groundswell. Serious politically minded people tend to overlook the power of the ‘popularist’ (Hate the term). There are a lot of people out their who love him, even if it is just that they feel they can relate to him. I’m pretty sure the shock of last night will already have worn off and central office will be working on the new, if anything more solid platform that now presents itself.... while retaining his moral ground of “well you cannot say I didn’t try, but they stopped me ringing loud and clear on his election tour.

While certain posters will always label me an arch Brexiteer, I fear the destination now far more dangerous than had Boris come back with something parliament could work on and at least call a deal in order to move onto actually sorting out phase two, where all this should have been dealt with from the start, as was the original intention. I think a BAD Brexit is now just as likely, but with an election mandate behind it.
I can’t imagine that more than about 2% of the population can really, and I mean really relate to Boris.

Maybe a few remember him on HIGNFY or saw him acting like a tit on a zip wire and thought he was a normal bloke.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:These posts are literally incredible, you can convince yourself of anything if you believe this crap. You think Dom and Boris met afterwards and slapped each other on the back and said "Yeah we played a blinder there"??
No, not at all. I think it was a shock, purely by scale. However I don’t buy into the knock out blow reaction... they will by now have digested it and already be looking to go back onto the attack. Where did I say they thought they’d played a blinder? I just said it was pretty much as I expected it to progress.... If remain think this bill will derail BJ for long that could even be their undoing.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 pm

If it be your will wrote:There is a widespread view amongst remainers that Boris would lose a GE. Could I ask their prediction as who will win it, then?
No majority for anyone. Hung parliament. Possible coalition govt.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Prime ministers questions time-

Boris - " Mr speaker, we want to spend millions on recruiting 20000 new police officers. The leader of the opposition wants us to sends billions more to Brussels by extending our eu membership!!!

The election campaign is off!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 pm

tiger76 wrote:Good point i suspect the Conservatives are banking on the fact that there isn't an obvious alternative party for moderate leavers to vote for,the Lib Dems,SNP,Plaid and the Greens are adamantly backing remain,that narrows the options down to Labour pretty much,and Labour's policy is moving towards backing remain also,though there is caveats to that.

The danger with the government's current position is they are alienating the ALAND'S,and if they persist with this extreme strategy brexit may well not happen at all.
Cheers tiger, kinda the point that is being made on numerous replies to the more extreme Brexiteers.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 pm

"Corbyn the chlorinated chicken!!!!" Boris

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:So what happens next ? This bill passes ( 100%) GE call voted down (100%) PM running a minority govt . Does Boris either resign ? Or go to the EU cap in hand ? are there other options ?
There's another couple of votes he could call for to try and force an election, including a confidence motion. Trouble is there's not much time to hold them as some idiot went and prorogued parliament at the end of the week. D'oh!!

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 pm

aggi wrote:I'm not convinced he would lose but if he did it would be to some form of coalition (SNP and Labour I'd guess)
Well that would be my best guess, too. I was wondering if there was a prediction of a Lib Dem triumph or something.

I just can't see Labour gaining the seats they would need, though. They would have to take a lot of strong leave seats to do this, which seems unlikely to the point of unthinkable at the moment.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:15 pm

aggi wrote:I'm not convinced he would lose but if he did it would be to some form of coalition (SNP and Labour I'd guess)
I'd be very surprised if he lost, what with the armoury of digital dirty tricks polished and perfected during the Trump and Brexit campaigns and also the fact he can drive around in a bus with a load of ridiculous lies printed on the side and people will believe it.
I'd leave him where he is, wrecking his own party until he resigns.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Falcon wrote:No majority for anyone. Hung parliament. Possible coalition govt.
Heaven help us!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 pm

If it be your will wrote:Heaven help us!
Its better than a government with a -43 majority surely!

Regarding PMQs, Johnston is making Corbyn sound Prime Ministerial, which is quite a feat!

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 pm

elwaclaret wrote:No, not at all. I think it was a shock, purely by scale. However I don’t buy into the knock out blow reaction... they will by now have digested it and already be looking to go back onto the attack. Where did I say they thought they’d played a blinder? I just said it was pretty much as I expected it to progress.... If remain think this bill will derail BJ for long that could even be their undoing.
Again, spinning abject defeat into a future victory. Utterly misguided.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:18 pm

If it be your will wrote:Heaven help us!
Nah bring it on. Anything to bring us closer to electoral reform.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its better than a government with a -43 majority surely!

Regarding PMQs, Johnston is making Corbyn sound Prime Ministerial, which is quite a feat!

Corbyn - " The prime minister is running away from scrutiny"

Have a general election and let the people scrutinise him.

"Wooooah.!!!Wooooah!!! Just hang on a month or two!!"

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm

George Pascoe Watson - "Boris landing punches"