Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:No delusions of radio stardom here . Just somebody with an opinion. I thought the guy from Scarborough , who came in all guns blazing was more of the pompous blowhard type FWIW.

My "little hobby" is schooling hapless remoaners on here.

This is more of my "day job"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/89505 ... e-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nah he was marginally better than you and you were both better than that Tory at the end but as I said you were all just a bit grim and uninspiring as the people who phone into these shows typically are

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Nah he was marginally better than you and you were both better than that Tory at the end but as I said you were all just a bit grim and uninspiring as the people who phone into these shows typically are
If that's what you think. It begs the question. Why do you listen?!

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:If that's what you think. It begs the question. Why do you listen?!
I dont generally but you come across lots of different stuff across social media and it doesnt do any harm to expose yourself to all sorts including things youre not keen on from time to time as it broadens your horizons.

I would have switched you off pretty quickly though if I wasnt especially listening to see if you justified your hype - unfortunately you didnt get close

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 pm

elwaclaret wrote:It really is not worth trying to discuss anything on here. Enjoy yourselves
After 3 years I stopped trying to discuss anything many moons ago. Now it's just a guilty pleasure of mocking the afflicted. Wrong I know but.......

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I dont generally but you come across lots of different stuff across social media and it doesnt do any harm to expose yourself to all sorts including things youre not keen on from time to time as it broadens your horizons.

I would have switched you off pretty quickly though if I wasnt especially listening to see if you justified your hype - unfortunately you didnt get close
I doubt your absence would have affected my viewing figures.!

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:No delusions of radio stardom here . Just somebody with an opinion. I thought the guy from Scarborough , who came in all guns blazing was more of the pompous blowhard type FWIW.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/89505 ... e-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Certainly a fair sized ego, constantly applying to air your views on the radio like they’re interesting or any different from 90% of Brexit supporters.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1077 times
Has Liked: 4239 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:I doubt your absence would have affected my viewing figures.!
I’m not sure you understand how the radio works.

Or a telephone for that matter.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Christ, Ringo, you need help, you really are getting worse.

A boring **** droning on here about Brexit for over two years, going over the same old stuff, running at least two accounts, whether ****** up or sober, deliberately taking part in Brexit phone-in after phone-in and appearing to be proud of it.

You claim to have a family. Rejoin the poor sods.
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret Claret-On-A-T-Rex

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Christ, Ringo, you need help, you really are getting worse.

A boring **** droning on here about Brexit for over two years, going over the same old stuff, running at least two accounts, whether ****** up or sober, deliberately taking part in Brexit phone-in after phone-in and appearing to be proud of it.

Maybe they’re encouraging it!

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 pm

How is remaining in the EU the same as the Brexit vote?

Remaining meant changing nothing, leaving has so many variables you cannot possibly believe people knew what they wanted 100%.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Interesting talk that if Boris tries to sell a new agreement regarding NI then the ERG will vote against it.

Will he have the bottle to remove the whip from the likes of JRM?

That really would blow the Conservatives apart!

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:20 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:After 3 years I stopped trying to discuss anything many moons ago. Now it's just a guilty pleasure of mocking the afflicted. Wrong I know but.......
You certainly stopped trying to discuss anything. When was the last time you presented (supported by any sort of evidence) a benefit of Brexit?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Operation Yellowhammer documents released
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ns_CDL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those like Ringo who claim that one reason they're for Brexit is helping those who are less well off then point 17 should probably be looked at:

17. Low income groups will be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:After 3 years I stopped trying to discuss anything many moons ago. Now it's just a guilty pleasure of mocking the afflicted. Wrong I know but.......
There’s a word for that...... masochism.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:You certainly stopped trying to discuss anything. When was the last time you presented (supported by any sort of evidence) a benefit of Brexit?
That's hardly unique to Ringo though. As the narrative drifts from sunlit uplands, better deal than we had, we hold all the cards through to there will be adequate food and medicine but shortages of some fresh food it becomes very difficult to spin the benefits.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 pm

aggi wrote:That's hardly unique to Ringo though. As the narrative drifts from sunlit uplands, better deal than we had, we hold all the cards through to there will be adequate food and medicine but shortages of some fresh food it becomes very difficult to spin the benefits.
Yeah, but most brexiteers have tended just to go quiet. Ringo has got louder and more repetitive about all sorts of other guff.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Christ, Ringo, you need help, you really are getting worse.

He also claims to work. And to have quit the rat race to look after the poorest in society.

These multiple personalities do tend to catch up with folk after a while.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Point 19.

Thought Brexit would help our fishing industry :?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Not good is it?

Anyone who did some basic reading would know that Project Fear would be Project Reality btw.

Bluster and ignoring stuff can only result in more and more trouble ahead.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:39 pm

“The six-page document, dated 2 August and leaked to the Sunday Times last month, warns of disruption at Dover and other channel crossings for at least three months; an increased risk of public disorder; and some shortages of fresh “

Obviously not signing up to DSR’s plan of just waving them all through.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:39 pm

According to the Sunday Times' Brexit reporter the title has been changed:

What's different about the new Yellowhammer document that the government has just published compared with the one I got hold of last month? The heading.
What did the version I had say? BASE SCENARIO
Now what does the new one say? HMG Reasonable Worst Case Planning Assumptions

The redacted point is meant to be about oil refineries:

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:39 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:How is remaining in the EU the same as the Brexit vote?

Remaining meant changing nothing, leaving has so many variables you cannot possibly believe people knew what they wanted 100%.
There was an interesting argument put forward that Remain wasn’t accepting status quo as it is now but accepting that we are part of a Union that is striving for closet political and economic integration. A vote for remain was a vote for harmonising tax rates, a common foreign policy, using military for joint EU projects etc??

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:If that's what you think. It begs the question. Why do you listen?!

Hey Ringo, nice to see you at the meeting tonight.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Hey Ringo, nice to see you at the meeting tonight.
Hope it was about stockpiling the meds you all take that shuts out reality.

My whole working life up to when I had my kids was in road haulage Uk-EU or freight ferries Uk-Eu.

This is reality boys and girls.

Get a deal or shove this entire thing where we all forget about it, or it really will get bad, very quickly.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Not that we didn't all know already that brexit was all about disaster capitalists but it seems the extent to which the rich, establishment types are playing the working class is finally being revealed.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brex ... e-backers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:Not that we didn't all know already that brexit was all about disaster capitalists but it seems the extent to which the rich, establishment types are playing the working class is finally being revealed.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brex ... e-backers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nah, can’t be right. Brexit is all about the working classes rising up and reclaiming our country.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Hope it was about stockpiling the meds you all take that shuts out reality.

My whole working life up to when I had my kids was in road haulage Uk-EU or freight ferries Uk-Eu.

This is reality boys and girls.

Get a deal or shove this entire thing where we all forget about it, or it really will get bad, very quickly.

And there you go, major over reaction.

I deal with lots of suppliers everyday who send product all over the world, they think it’s all an over reaction as they already fill in paperwork to get stuff into the EU, USA and just about everywhere.

We do these reviews, what’s the worst that can happen, 95% don’t happen. There will always be some issues.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Lowbanks on the Dr Pepper again

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm

We are going to build a sea wall and we are going to make them pay for it
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret longsidepies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:And there you go, major over reaction.

I deal with lots of suppliers everyday who send product all over the world, they think it’s all an over reaction as they already fill in paperwork to get stuff into the EU, USA and just about everywhere.

We do these reviews, what’s the worst that can happen, 95% don’t happen. There will always be some issues.
How much of your work is with the EU?

How much of your work is with non-EU countries trading on EU terms?

Do you deal direct, or through 3rd Party logistics companies?

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:And there you go, major over reaction.

That's a particularly ballsy stance to take when on the same page there's a government planning document saying that in the event of no deal the disruption at Dover/Calais could reduce the flow rate of HGVs by 40-60% within one day.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Yellowhammer...

"MPs voted on Monday to order the release of all internal correspondence and communications, including e-mails, texts and WhatsApp messages, between nine No 10 advisers relating to Parliament's suspension.

But the government has said it will not comply with the MPs' request, citing potential legal breaches of data protection and employment rights."

So the Tories now seem to to have an interest in employment rights?

While looking over their shoulders in panic about the EU Offshore Tax Transparancy looms closer.

Self Serving to the last breath.

Cummings is the antichrist of politics.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 pm

aggi wrote:That's a particularly ballsy stance to take when on the same page there's a government planning document saying that in the event of no deal the disruption at Dover/Calais could reduce the flow rate of HGVs by 40-60% within one day.
Keep up, DSR is waving everyone through. How many times does he have to say!

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Come on Never Ready Eddie , it was only a radio show.

Surprise me , give us all an opinion on Brexit, any opinion .

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:59 pm

It's interesting that a 4.7% tariff on petrol is going to make petrol exports uncompetitive but a drop in the value of Sterling of about 15% doesn't offset it. Or is operation yellowhammer assuming that exchange rates will shoot up again post-Brexit?

A drop in exchange rates is a big boost to exports, even when partly offset by tariffs. Similarly, a drop in our exchange rates coupled with added tariffs is a major blow to people exporting to the UK. Hence the reverse documents to the ones cited here - the ones that are optimistic as opposed to worst-case - will show a large growth in UK GDP.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:How much of your work is with the EU?

How much of your work is with non-EU countries trading on EU terms?

Do you deal direct, or through 3rd Party logistics companies?
Loads, China, Thailand, America, Japan, Israel, India.

All dealt with direct. No issues.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm

aggi wrote:That's hardly unique to Ringo though. As the narrative drifts from sunlit uplands, better deal than we had, we hold all the cards through to there will be adequate food and medicine but shortages of some fresh food it becomes very difficult to spin the benefits.
I think we will actually do quite well economically when we leave the EU
- There'll be food shortages and no medicines! Tap water won't be safe to drink!
I think you're getting carried away. There's no reason to suppose there'll be shortages of food or medicine.
- Look how it's gone from 'Sunny economic uplands' to 'Hopefully we won't suffer food shortages!!!'

I'm actually quite impressed by this tactic, because it does work, and I can't immediately think of defence against it. Denying it makes it more real, somehow. Failing to deny it is like accepting it as truth. Corbyn has been on the receiving end of this tactic a few times, too. And there's no doubt it broke him, and ended what little chance there ever was of getting his program enacted:

- You're a ******* racist and an anti-semite! You hate Jews and your party members hate Jews!
Where on earth did that come from? I don't understand, I've spent my whole life fighting racism. And the evidence suggests Labour members are the least anti-semitic of any party members. Indeed, evidence suggests anti-semitism amongst Labour members has actually fallen since I was leader.
- Look how he's protecting anti-semites! He just refuses to see the problem, and won't deal with it because he's an anti-semite! Racist!

It's not a tactic I'd use myself, though. I'd be too embarrassed. Do you think there will be food and medicine shortages after Brexit, aggi?

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:09 pm

dsr wrote:It's interesting that a 4.7% tariff on petrol is going to make petrol exports uncompetitive but a drop in the value of Sterling of about 15% doesn't offset it. Or is operation yellowhammer assuming that exchange rates will shoot up again post-Brexit?

A drop in exchange rates is a big boost to exports, even when partly offset by tariffs. Similarly, a drop in our exchange rates coupled with added tariffs is a major blow to people exporting to the UK. Hence the reverse documents to the ones cited here - the ones that are optimistic as opposed to worst-case - will show a large growth in UK GDP.
I imagine that a large part of their revenue and expenditure is in USD which makes them somewhat insulated against local FX movements.

Which are these other documents? I haven't heard any mention of them before. Also, the current slump in the pound doesn't seem to be helping our manufacturing sector at the moment, orders are at something like a 10 year low I seem to remember reading.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 pm

dsr wrote:It's interesting that a 4.7% tariff on petrol is going to make petrol exports uncompetitive but a drop in the value of Sterling of about 15% doesn't offset it. Or is operation yellowhammer assuming that exchange rates will shoot up again post-Brexit?

It's a shame these reverse documents don't appear to exist.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Loads, China, Thailand, America, Japan, Israel, India.

All dealt with direct. No issues.
So you do your own customs declarations and that kind of thing?

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:15 pm

tiger76 wrote:I'm not certain how much information is required under the Grieve legislation,but many commentators have highlighted issues regarding data protection laws,i sense this will end up in the courts.

The Operation Yellowhammer details should be released however.
I was actually wondering, it would be quite an irony if this bill is declared illegal because of EU human rights laws.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:17 pm

If it be your will wrote:I think we will actually do quite well economically when we leave the EU
- There'll be food shortages and no medicines! Tap water won't be safe to drink!
I think you're getting carried away. There's no reason to suppose there'll be shortages of food or medicine.
- Look how it's gone from 'Sunny economic uplands' to 'Hopefully we won't suffer food shortages!!!'

I'm actually quite impressed by this tactic, because it does work, and I can't immediately think of defence against it. Denying it makes it more real, somehow. Failing to deny it is like accepting it as truth. Corbyn has been on the receiving end of this tactic a few times, too. And there's no doubt it broke him, and ended what little chance there ever was of getting his program enacted:

- You're a ******* racist and an anti-semite! You hate Jews and your party members hate Jews!
Where on earth did that come from? I don't understand, I've spent my whole life fighting racism. And the evidence suggests Labour members are the least anti-semitic of any party members. Indeed, evidence suggests anti-semitism amongst Labour members has actually fallen since I was leader.
- Look how he's protecting anti-semites! He just refuses to see the problem, and won't deal with it because he's an anti-semite! Racist!

It's not a tactic I'd use myself, though. I'd be too embarrassed. Do you think there will be food and medicine shortages after Brexit, aggi?

It's not me getting carried away, you wrote that. I guess attacking a straw man is easier than what I actually wrote which is entirely different.

I didn't mention tap water (as it appears we'll be fine there regardless).

Quite how you went from me saying there will be adequate food and medicine to your There'll be food shortages and no medicines God only knows. The comment on fresh food was lifted from the Yellowhammer document (7. Certain types of fresh food supply will decrease). They actually paint a more negative picture on medicines too.

I guess you just had this argument all lined up and ready to go but it would have been better to save it for when someone actually said - There'll be food shortages and no medicines! Tap water won't be safe to drink!

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:25 pm

aggi wrote:I imagine that a large part of their revenue and expenditure is in USD which makes them somewhat insulated against local FX movements.

Which are these other documents? I haven't heard any mention of them before. Also, the current slump in the pound doesn't seem to be helping our manufacturing sector at the moment, orders are at something like a 10 year low I seem to remember reading.
They don't exist because there is no point making contingency plans for a best case scenario.

Oil is always sold in US Dollars, but the question of relative competitiveness between UK firms and European firms still depends on the £/€ exchange rate.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:26 pm

"Operation Yellowhammer documents predict public disorder, rising prices and disruptions to food and medicines."

If you look hard enough through red, white and blue tinted glasses you can just make out "but free unicorns for all" in that.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Greenmile wrote:I’m not sure you understand how the radio works.

Or a telephone for that matter.
I'm not convinced you understand how humour works.

Or self-deprecation for that matter

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:30 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:So you do your own customs declarations and that kind of thing?
We do and suppliers do.
Currently no issues moving parts to every part of the world apart from selling parts to Iraq, that’s being problematic at the moment. Still getting there but with some delays.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi dsr, exchange rates shouldn't have any effect on gasoline or diesel trade - oil is traded globally in USD. So, fall in value of GBP won't be an offset for any EU duties - our petrol price at the pump always has an element of the USD/GBP exchange rate.

On the other hand, gasoline and diesel is often imported into Europe from USA - I'm not sure what 4.7% tariffs have affected that. Similarly, a lot of the crude oil refined in EU (including UK) refineries comes from West Africa - which also, as I understand it, carries the same tariff.

I wonder why the "2 refineries may close" section has been redacted from Yellowhammer? Is it because it's a non-issue? It would only take a couple of days to speak to the UK refiners and get some facts?

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:32 pm

HunterST_BFC wrote:Yellowhammer...

"MPs voted on Monday to order the release of all internal correspondence and communications, including e-mails, texts and WhatsApp messages, between nine No 10 advisers relating to Parliament's suspension.

But the government has said it will not comply with the MPs' request, citing potential legal breaches of data protection and employment rights."

So the Tories now seem to to have an interest in employment rights?

While looking over their shoulders in panic about the EU Offshore Tax Transparancy looms closer.

Self Serving to the last breath.

Cummings is the antichrist of politics.
They literally become more transparent every day but still, half of the people are on here defending their every awful move.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 pm

dsr wrote:They don't exist because there is no point making contingency plans for a best case scenario.

Oil is always sold in US Dollars, but the question of relative competitiveness between UK firms and European firms still depends on the £/€ exchange rate.
You'd still expect some planning to be happening, how best to exploit the opportunities, etc.

Given that a large part of revenue and expenditure would be in USD and most prices are pegged in USD I'm not sure whether the £:€ FX rate would have a material impact.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:Not that we didn't all know already that brexit was all about disaster capitalists but it seems the extent to which the rich, establishment types are playing the working class is finally being revealed.

Do the guys who write "byline" know the differences between "hedge funds" and "hedging?" It appears not from what is in their report. And, it's usually "asset values falling" when a short position will make a gain - not "prices falling." But, there's nothing I can see that they've written which discusses what assets the "BJ wealthy friends" have shorted.

Sorry, quoonz, I don't think "byline" reveals anything on this occasion.