Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:They can amend that law if they want.

But they don’t as they don’t want an election.
It's not that easy. There are loads of different steps surrounding an election, and loads of rules to go with those steps. They could probably pass a law chucking the whole existing electoral process in the bin, but they'd have to then debate the rules that would replace them.

If we really want an election before there's a lengthy EU extension, I'm not sure what would be wrong with asking for say a 6 week EU extension, and then call an election now, though.

But provided the EU extension is limited to 6 months anyway, and then an election is called in due course, does this delay really matter? If Boris* won on a hard brexit stance, he probably wouldn't bother with any more negotiations and just use the remaining time to finalise the no-deal planning. Even for committed leavers, that'd be no bad thing.

*edit - or Farage

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:40 pm

If it be your will wrote:It's not that easy. There are loads of different steps surrounding an election, and loads of rules to go with those steps. They could probably pass a law chucking the whole existing electoral process in the bin, but they'd have to then debate the rules that would replace them.

If we really want an election before there's a lengthy EU extension, I'm not sure what would be wrong with asking for say a 6 week EU extension, and then call an election now, though.

But provided the EU extension is limited to 6 months anyway, and then an election is called in due course, does this delay really matter? If Boris* won on a hard brexit stance, he probably wouldn't bother with any more negotiations and just use the remaining time to finalise the no-deal planning. Even for committed leavers, that'd be no bad thing.

*edit - or Farage
The Benn Bill proposes just a three month extension, it isn’t going to be lengthy unless the EU insist.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Why should it?

Make Johnson stew and call one after an extension.

Yep that good, more votes to the Brexit party.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:44 pm

If it be your will wrote:It's not that easy. There are loads of different steps surrounding an election, and loads of rules to go with those steps. They could probably pass a law chucking the whole existing electoral process in the bin, but they'd have to then debate the rules that would replace them.

*edit - or Farage

Just adding more votes to BP.

This is good.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:51 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Yes even life long Labour voters cannot vote for a party with Corbyn as leader. Less popular than Michael Foot which like trying to get less points than Derby in the premier.

I see a very big problem for Labour winning a GE, they are called the LibDems. They will along with SNP and an odd Green split the remain voters.

Same argument for the Tory/Brexit parties, they will split the leave voters, however as was previously stated JC will be the biggest threat to Labour winning anything of consequence.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Yep that good, more votes to the Brexit party.
So why are you complaining so much? If Brexit happens before the next general election then the Brexit Party is dead.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:56 pm

martin_p wrote:The Benn Bill proposes just a three month extension, it isn’t going to be lengthy unless the EU insist.
Does it seem weird to you that we are compelled to accept whatever length the EU wishes?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:03 pm

martin_p wrote:The Benn Bill proposes just a three month extension, it isn’t going to be lengthy unless the EU insist.
What exactly does the Benn bill require Boris to do?

Could he just ask for an extension of 48 hours? To say he has asked and they didn't agree?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:04 pm

If it be your will wrote:Does it seem weird to you that we are compelled to accept whatever length the EU wishes?
I don’t know whether the Benn Bill compels the government to accept anything any longer, but I stand to be corrected on that one.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 pm

I fear the EU will ask for a lengthy extension, Dec 2020 or stick with Oct 2019, be very curious to see what parliament would do with that ultimatum. My thoughts are they will accept the extension and talk about using that time to come to a conclusion for the Irish backstop that is actually proven to be workable by then.

Additionally a GE will be called this year, that will then allow people to decide how they react to this and to the MP's they elected, my personal wish is that many are out of work and we see some new blood and a drive for cross party unity that can go to the EU with ideas they agree upon and stick behind.

I think the 3 month extension is a long shot as it stands, it just delays the inevitable GE.

I do also realize that a GE win for remainers as a group will change everything, perhaps a LibDem/Labour government and start all over again.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Just checked. The Bill says the PM must accept an extension to 31st Jan and to either accept or ask the HoC for any other date.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:08 pm

martin_p wrote:I don’t know whether the Benn Bill compels the government to accept anything any longer, but I stand to be corrected on that one.
Unless the HOC expressly rejects it within 2 days. Unless I've got it totally wrong.

Edit - It's difficult to pin down, but having looked around it looks like the government is compelled to accept any length the EU suggests unless a motion is tabled - and passed - to reject the EU's proposed date within 2 days.

If the EU asked for 2 years or something, I can imagine the HOC failing to actively reject it within 2 days, especially if the alternative is 'no deal' on the 31st October. But at least that possibility exists if the EU asks for something stupid like 50 years or something, I suppose.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:25 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Johnson is like a drunk just repeating the same things!
He doesn't post on here does he?
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish longsidepies

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1649 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:32 pm

The EU want us out now. The penny has finally dropped. Economies are slowing - and that is before 52% of the public enact a boycott on EU goods, Irish beef, German cars etc.

Boris is PM of a hugely powerful country. Add that to the mix and a way will be found for us to gently exit.

I expect a deal in 3 weeks.

(Saying that, I put on here in 2016 that we would never leave, so I wouldn’t rule that out, but the wind seems to be blowing in the deal direction now, thanks to the rabid Remainers, incompetent buffoons that they are, they had Remain in the cusp of their hand but I sense they have blown it. Not long to see if I am right).

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 pm

martin_p wrote:So why are you complaining so much? If Brexit happens before the next general election then the Brexit Party is dead.

But it’s not going to happen, is it.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The EU want us out now. The penny has finally dropped. Economies are slowing - and that is before 52% of the public enact a boycott on EU goods, Irish beef, German cars etc.

Boris is PM of a hugely powerful country. Add that to the mix and a way will be found for us to gently exit.

(Saying that, I put on here in 2016 that we would never leave, so I wouldn’t rule that out, but the wind seems to be blowing in the deal direction now, thanks to the rabid Remainers, incompetent buffoons that they are, they had Remain in the cusp of their hand but I sense they have blown it. Not long to see if I am right).
Seriously?

Where on earth have you got the information that the deal is close from?

The only possible way I can read that is that you are starting to panic because the "No Deal" Brexit is dead in the water, and you've typed that in frustration.

Absolutely nothing I've read suggests a deal is remotely close, unless the UK changes its stance on the backstop.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:43 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The EU want us out now. The penny has finally dropped. Economies are slowing - and that is before 52% of the public enact a boycott on EU goods, Irish beef, German cars etc.

I love it when a brexiteer goes proper batshit mental.
These 6 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Walton Lord Beamish Greenmile fidelcastro longsidepies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:43 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:But it’s not going to happen, is it.
It would be illegal for us to leave without a deal on Oct 31st.

I know we are all really keen on British laws, made by British institutions for British people so there is absolutely no moral or legal justification for Johnson to try to avoid breaking a UK law.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Seriously?

Where on earth have you got the information that the deal is close from?
Johnson indicated a deal might be getting closer in his statement earlier. Are you saying we shouldn’t believe what he is saying!?
These 4 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret martin_p nil_desperandum Lord Beamish

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Johnson indicated a deal might be getting closer in his statement earlier. Are you saying we shouldn’t believe what he is saying!?
I don't think he's told a single truth today.

He's actually turned into Ringo in Parliament tonight.
These 4 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm TheFamilyCat nil_desperandum Lord Beamish

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Can you not do this tomorrow please Crosspools? We've already had loads of entertainment today and Ive a pretty steady day at work and could do with something to pass the time

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:and that is before 52% of the public enact a boycott on EU goods, Irish beef, German cars etc.
This is my favourite bit.
These 4 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Walton Greenmile Lord Beamish

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Laura Kuenssberg
@bbclaurak
There are legitimate passions on all sides - but not even many Tory MPs mightl comfortable defending this- Johnson accused one of Jo Cox's friends and Parliamentary neighbours, one of many who's faced serious threats, of 'humbug' when she asked him to be careful with his words.

A prime minister who makes light of someone who was murdered!

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 pm

If it be your will wrote:Does it seem weird to you that we are compelled to accept whatever length the EU wishes?
Not really. We can say no. So not at all compelled to accept.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 pm

martin_p wrote:This is my favourite bit.
Me too. Imagine the queues in Tesco when they're questioning the provenance of every item in the trolley.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1960 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Crosspool is my favourite fantasist.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 pm

There have been some real low points over the last few years, but tonight's performance from Boris Johnson is the most depressing and sickening of them all. An enormous sack of human shite.
These 10 users liked this post: Spijed Bordeauxclaret Lancasterclaret Walton Steve-Harpers-perm RoystonVasey Lord Beamish fidelcastro tiger76 longsidepies

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Brendan Cox

@MrBrendanCox
Feel a bit sick at Jo’s name being used in this way. The best way to honour Jo is for all of us (no matter our views) to stand up for what we believe in, passionately and with determination. But never to demonise the other side and always hold onto what we have in common.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Me too. Imagine the queues in Tesco when they're questioning the provenance of every item in the trolley.
At least it’ll be quieter in Aldi.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 pm

martin_p wrote:At least it’ll be quieter in Aldi.
I'm cutting down on my plans to stockpile Mullerlite

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Where Crosspool says 52% of the public, don't forget that he actually means around 26% of the population.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:11 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:What I am not sure your getting is he is being prevented from doing what he says, that’s not his fault and the LD and Labour are just turning more and more voters away.

You probably don’t remember Micheal Foot but I do and I was desperate for him to be replaced as I could see he was devastating the Labour vote. Corbyn is even less popular than Foot. Just google his election result.
He made a solemn promise to leave “do or die”. If there were outside factors that could prevent him from going through with it, he should have said. His rivals all did. If you want to forgive him his overexuberance / error of judgement / duplicity (take your pick), then go ahead - but a lot of voters won’t. They’ll just see another rich southerner betraying them.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Worth mentioning that Johnston was completely and totally bang out of order in Parliament today.

100% not fit for office.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Worth mentioning that Johnston was completely and totally bang out of order in Parliament today.

100% not fit for office.
Just seen it on the news. What an utter disgrace.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Labour and Lib Dems expected to block the Tory conference in Manchester.
At a huge cost to the city. Millions of pounds not coming to the local economy.

It won't be popular with northern voters.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 pm

Nick Eardley

@nickeardleybbc
Jo Swinson tells MPs she has reported a threat against her child to police today

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Millions of pounds? Anyone outside of Manchester giving a ****?

Some of you really believe some of the horseshite that's fed to you.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Labour and Lib Dems expected to block the Tory conference in Manchester.

It’ll be a pin prick compared to the impact of no deal Brexit.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:31 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Labour and Lib Dems expected to block the Tory conference in Manchester.

They’ll have to find other people to milkshake.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:31 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Millions of pounds? Anyone outside of Manchester giving a ****?

Some of you really believe some of the horseshite that's fed to you.
I'm sure you realise how busy the A66 is in a morning with lots of local people going to their jobs in Manchester.

I'm sure they are concerned.

As long as you're little remain bubble is alright. Everyone's alright eh?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:33 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I'm sure you realise how busy the A66 is in a morning with lots of local people going to their jobs in Manchester.

It’ll be offset by the savings to the public purse in policing costs.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I'm sure you realise how busy the A66 is in a morning with lots of local people going to their jobs in Manchester.

I’m sure they couldn’t give a ****. I used to live just outside Blackpool and the majority of locals hated the party conferences coming.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:35 pm

"I was going to vote Labour, but they blocked the Tory conference so sod them. Now I'll forget everything I ever believed about the economy and society and schools and the NHS and Brexit and the police because those sausage rolls went unsold that one day."
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile longsidepies

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:39 pm

How is your average commuter going to be affected by this?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:41 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Worth mentioning that Johnston was completely and totally bang out of order in Parliament today.

100% not fit for office.
So why when challenged did they not do a vote of no confidence.

Cause they are scared of the people

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:So why when challenged did they not do a vote of no confidence.

Cause they are scared of the people
You know why, and so does Johnston, and so does everybody else.

Johnston can't be trusted not to just change the date of the election so we fall out of the EU with a "No Deal" Brexit as parliament has to be shut down for a certain number of weeks before an election.

Its been said on tv, the radio, in the papers, online thousands of times.

Its 100% his own fault.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:How is your average commuter going to be affected by this?
They might work at the hotel that had all rooms booked out that got cancelled or the restaurants or the bars.

All the big spenders on expenses is a dream come true for the city.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Conference website says 11.500 people. For perspective, Manchester arena has a capacity of 21,000. Imagine a gig not happening on some random day. That's about twice as damaging to the local economy as not having a conference. But still, I honestly don't know how Manchester is going to survive.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2898 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Different perspectives but tonight was a 3 hour party political broadcast for the Tory party and Johnson in particular. I thought Corbyn was going to start crying at one point, his response to Johnson was pathetic. Then for the next 3 hours it was a number of politicians desperate to hear their own voice and make a contribution to Hansard repeating the same question. What made it worse was the continual shouting and braying - how many times did Burscow have to intervene?
This user liked this post: PaintYorkClaretnBlue

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:They might work at the hotel that had all rooms booked out that got cancelled or the restaurants or the bars.

All the big spenders on expenses is a dream come true for the city.
And I would estimate that a tiny percentage of those A66 commuters you refer to work in hotels and bars.