Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:33 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:One thing that is abundantly clear from last night is that there has to be something said today by the government that is akin to an apology for both the reaction to the supreme court defeat and the actions in parliament yesterday.

A Conservative government attacking both the judiciary and parliament is a massive own goal. There are only so many UKIP/Brexit party voters out there.
Just seen a pig fly past my window so who knows!

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am

Survation poll has

Leave with no deal 49%
Extension 43%

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am

Right_winger wrote:It’s tit for tat stuff but at the end of the day what Boris is saying is Pretty much spot on.

It always annoys me when one side like to dish it out but can’t take flak coming back.
Which bit is "spot on"?

All of it?

Lets run through last night again, with the context and the history shall we?

In 2016, the Conservatives had a majority. They could have done Brexit. Done it easily.

But no, that wasn't enough, they wanted the harshest Brexit possible, so they took it to the people in 2017, and they found out that it wasn't what the people wanted.

But no, thats not what they want, so they kept at it.

Parliament told them repeatedly that it wasn't what people wanted.

So May tried a deal, but no one wanted that, so they got rid of her and bought in Johnson.

He decided that despite all that had gone on since 2016, the election of 2017, the continuing opinion polls that showed "No Deal" wasn't popular, he still went for it.

And Parliament stopped him, and he expelled 21 more of his MPs, making him completely subservient to Parliament (something that I 100% guarantee Tory strategists never thought would happen)

All that shouting yesterday was just a continuation of the Tory party refusing to admit that they have been wrong to push the hardest Brexit possible, even though they have no mandate for it form the people, no mandate for it from parliament and no mandate from it from their own party.

But yeah, its all a bit "tit for tat"

Its all convincing you (and to be fair you don't need any convincing) that the Tories know what they are doing, and that a "No Deal" isn't a bad thing.

Its nothing to do with democracy, nothing to do with parliamentary procedure, nothing to do with what happens after Brexit, its all to do with proving to people like you (and again, you don't need any convincing) to ignore the evidence of your own eyes and ears, and to vote for him in a GE.

Thats it.

Despicable trashing of pretty much all of the UK democratic systems to do it mind, which will have far reaching implications but they don't care

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am

Right_winger wrote:It’s tit for tat stuff but at the end of the day what Boris is saying is Pretty much spot on.

It always annoys me when one side like to dish it out but can’t take flak coming back.
And at one point Boris complained to the speaker about a remark said on the Labour benches. Surely if he dishes it out, he should have no complaints if any nasty comments come his way?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am

And of course, the deal that Crosspool mentioned is looking even further away.

EU genuinely concerned that we are heading into serious loopy terrority.

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/sta ... 7160281088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:55 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:And of course, the deal that Crosspool mentioned is looking even further away.

EU genuinely concerned that we are heading into serious loopy terrority.

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/sta ... 7160281088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You are totally wrong Lancaster:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... an-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Which bit is "spot on"?

All of it?

Lets run through last night again, with the context and the history shall we?

In 2016, the Conservatives had a majority. They could have done Brexit. Done it easily.

But no, that wasn't enough, they wanted the harshest Brexit possible, so they took it to the people in 2017, and they found out that it wasn't what the people wanted.

But no, thats not what they want, so they kept at it.

Parliament told them repeatedly that it wasn't what people wanted.

So May tried a deal, but no one wanted that, so they got rid of her and bought in Johnson.

He decided that despite all that had gone on since 2016, the election of 2017, the continuing opinion polls that showed "No Deal" wasn't popular, he still went for it.

And Parliament stopped him, and he expelled 21 more of his MPs, making him completely subservient to Parliament (something that I 100% guarantee Tory strategists never thought would happen)

All that shouting yesterday was just a continuation of the Tory party refusing to admit that they have been wrong to push the hardest Brexit possible, even though they have no mandate for it form the people, no mandate for it from parliament and no mandate from it from their own party.

But yeah, its all a bit "tit for tat"

Its all convincing you (and to be fair you don't need any convincing) that the Tories know what they are doing, and that a "No Deal" isn't a bad thing.

Its nothing to do with democracy, nothing to do with parliamentary procedure, nothing to do with what happens after Brexit, its all to do with proving to people like you (and again, you don't need any convincing) to ignore the evidence of your own eyes and ears, and to vote for him in a GE.

Thats it.

Despicable trashing of pretty much all of the UK democratic systems to do it mind, which will have far reaching implications but they don't care
Going off what Boris said last night, surrender act and capitulation is spot o. Because that’s what the benn bill was.

There’s no point in discussing anything which May has previously done as she was a remainer who along with over 2/3rds if MPs do not want to leave the EU. May tried to hoodwink everyone and go for BRINO which is what her deal is, also May was one of the weakest leaders in modern history.

I’m not a huge Boris Johnson fan, he is fickle ( like most MPs) But no one can argue with the content of his words as it’s correct.

Parliament has from day 1 done everything to delay and frustrate Brexit. The way they are acting will come
Back to bite them.

The GE of 17 was nothing to do with Brexit, May seen it as an opportunity to strengthen her majority due to Labour being very weak. May then ran the weakest campaign in modern history. The Brexit rhetoric had hardly even started by this point.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:00 am

Ah yes, tit for tat.

Side A: In light of threats and an actual murder please moderate your language.

Side B: No, and the best way to honour this pro-EU MP who was murdered is to push through Brexit.

As I said stuff likes this doesn't win over anyone but the most rabid of brexiteers.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:00 am

Right_winger wrote:Going off what Boris said last night, surrender act and capitulation is spot o. Because that’s what the benn bill was.

There’s no point in discussing anything which May has previously done as she was a remainer who along with over 2/3rds if MPs do not want to leave the EU. May tried to hoodwink everyone and go for BRINO which is what her deal is, also May was one of the weakest leaders in modern history.

I’m not a huge Boris Johnson fan, he is fickle ( like most MPs) But no one can argue with the content of his words as it’s correct.

Parliament has from day 1 done everything to delay and frustrate Brexit. The way they are acting will come
Back to bite them.

The GE of 17 was nothing to do with Brexit, May seen it as an opportunity to strengthen her majority due to Labour being very weak. May then ran the weakest campaign in modern history. The Brexit rhetoric had hardly even started by this point.
You can't ignore the past because it doesn't suit your narrative mate!

There was a way to leave the EU in 2016, in 2017, in 2018 and probably even now.

Mays deal.

If Brexit doesn't happen, its 100% because people wanted "No Deal" more than they wanted just to leave.

Remember that

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:09 am

martin_p wrote:Tit for tat?

The conversation essentially goes:

Q: can the PM please moderate his language as it’s causing MPs to get threats
A: **** off!
The person asking the question suggested the PM had call her and her colleagues "traitors". Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he did. It was using inflammatory language to complain about inflammatory language. Both sides guilty or not guilty depending on whether it bothers you. Surely you haven't forgotten all the nonsense about coups and dictatorships a few weeks ago (oh and racist was lobbed into the nix of course)? Tit for tat.

Rising to the bait on Jo Cox (his point presumably being she was a democrat) wasn't smart but it was the opposition who brought her up.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:12 am

I think that most of the 'frustration' inside and outside parliament has been caused by Labour MPs IN LEAVE MAJORITY VOTING CONSTITUENCIES towing the party line and refusing to support the EU/UK withdrawal agreement.

They are continuing to do this and I predict they will reject ANY new WA that Johnson brings back.

Imo Julie Cooper should declare herself as an independent MP and then work tirelessly to support the democratic wishes/decisions of her constituents.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:14 am

android wrote:The person asking the question suggested the PM had call her and her colleagues "traitors". Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he did.
No she doesn’t didn’t. The text of the conversation is on the last page, you can check. She said that the language he was using (surrender bill, etc) suggested they were traitors but they were intact patriots.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:16 am

AndyClaret wrote:Survation poll has

Leave with no deal 49%
Extension 43%
I had to check that because it seemed scarcely believable, but it is indeed what the poll shows (if there's no deal by 31st Oct). Whether it's literally the case is a different matter, mind.

It appears that, after 3 years, far from leavers turning into remainers, they're all just turning into no-dealers with a 'To hell with it all!" attitude. But - astonishingly - if 49% is accurate, with only 43% wanting an extension, presumably some remainers must be turning into no-dealers too.

That fits with my own personal observations as it happens. A couple of remain-voting in-laws, ones that aren't that politically engaged, are now expressing a desire to just get out without a deal. Perhaps the 'soft-remain' camp is crumbling? What other explanation is there (other than the poll is just plain wrong)?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:16 am

Mala591 wrote:I think that most of the 'frustration' inside and outside parliament has been caused by Labour MPs IN LEAVE MAJORITY VOTING CONSTITUENCIES towing the party line and refusing to support the EU/UK withdrawal agreement.

They are continuing to do this and I predict they will reject ANY new WA that Johnson brings back.

Imo Julie Cooper should declare herself as an independent MP and then work tirelessly to support the democratic wishes/decisions of her constituents.
Bleeding traitorous MPs doing exactly what they said they’d do when elected!

android

Post by android » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:16 am

Hipper wrote:When the Supreme Court found against Johnson's action they actually changed the effect of the law. It's perfectly understandable that such a law could have been 'broken' (read misinterpreted) as it may well have been in the past according to this judgement. As the Attorney General said, it will take time to understand the full implications of this decision and if Parliament - the law makers - feel something needs to change, they can change it.

Johnson breaking this law is not a clear cut decision like stealing something although his opponents would like us to think so.

In the case of Johnson using the Jo Cox incident, I believe that her name was brought up in a Labour question and he merely answered.

More interesting was the Attorney General's performance earlier where at one point he went off on a rant about this Parliament, describing it as 'a disgrace'. It's hard not to agree with him.
All good points Hipper. It seems to me that the court has effectively created a new law - perhaps to be known as Major's Law. Max period for prorogation for Queen's Speech now set at 4-6 days (think I got the numbers right) based on the "unchallenged" testimony of one man. Seems an extraordinary way to create new law, especially as the man in question has a bit of form (both on prorogation and motive (Brexit) that might in a normal court lead to him not necessarily being considered the best witness)!

Saw a bit of last night and just had an hour of parliament on in the background where the same Brexit question was asked about 30 times by 30 MPs and the same answer given 30 times. I'm still struggling to join in the general back slapping that the Supreme Court has saved our democracy.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:18 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:You can't ignore the past because it doesn't suit your narrative mate!

There was a way to leave the EU in 2016, in 2017, in 2018 and probably even now.

Mays deal.

If Brexit doesn't happen, its 100% because people wanted "No Deal" more than they wanted just to leave.

Remember that
I'm not totally happy about May's deal,but ATM it's the only option if people want to leave by 31st October,and if Boris can bring back a reworked version to parliament i suspect they would vote for it,certainly a number of Labour MP'S have indicated this when being interviewed,however with the government's current strategy i don't detect any hint of a compromise,and it's this lack of willingness to find the middle ground which leads to the pushback from the opposition,the more the government pushes for a no deal the less likely any form of brexit becomes.

android

Post by android » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:19 am

martin_p wrote:No she doesn’t didn’t. The text of the conversation is on the last page, you can check. She said that the language he was using (surrender bill, etc) suggested they were traitors but they were intact patriots.
Exactly - thanks.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am

tiger76 wrote:I'm not totally happy about May's deal,but ATM it's the only option if people want to leave by 31st October,and if Boris can bring back a reworked version to parliament i suspect they would vote for it,certainly a number of Labour MP'S have indicated this when being interviewed,however with the government's current strategy i don't detect any hint of a compromise,and it's this lack of willingness to find the middle ground which leads to the pushback from the opposition,the more the government pushes for a no deal the less likely any form of brexit becomes.
Government would need 15-25 labour MPs.

I can't see any of them backing him after the tactics been shown yesterday to be perfectly honest.

Quite possible that it will have had the opposite effect.

No one likes Mays deal, because its shite to Brexiteers and shite to remainers, but its a compromise.

The referendum result screamed "Leave, but with a compromise"

Thats it basically

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:25 am

If it be your will wrote:I had to check that because it seemed scarcely believable, but it is indeed what the poll shows (if there's no deal by 31st Oct). Whether it's literally the case is a different matter, mind.

It appears that, after 3 years, far from leavers turning into remainers, they're all just turning into no-dealers with a 'To hell with it all!" attitude. But - astonishingly - if 49% is accurate, with only 43% wanting an extension, presumably some remainers must be turning into no-dealers too.

That fits with my own personal observations as it happens. A couple of remain-voting in-laws, ones that aren't that politically engaged, are now expressing a desire to just get out without a deal. Perhaps the 'soft-remain' camp is crumbling? What other explanation is there (other than the poll is just plain wrong)?
Its one poll

The overall trend is exactly the opposite, with more people trending towards remain and leaving leave.

Of course, the cynic in me would conclude that the reason Brexiteers are so desperate to get this done is that they can see it slipping out of their control (which it has) and refusing to accept that they are the reason it has (which they are)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:27 am

If it be your will wrote:I had to check that because it seemed scarcely believable, but it is indeed what the poll shows (if there's no deal by 31st Oct). Whether it's literally the case is a different matter, mind.

I acknowledge that if we go to a GE and possibly a 2nd referendum a No Deal could be the final outcome and as much as that saddens me at least if its done through these channels then I will have to accept it.

The key however will be how these polls play out once we have the extension and we can then lay out, discuss and scrutinise various options including potential different kind of deals, remain and a no deal.

I think when we manage to put a stop to the pitiful political games Boris and his paymasters are currently playing we might start to see a shift in public opinion

You are right that people are fed up of it and the non politically engaged might naturally just have the view lets just get out but that is no compelling case to do so.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:31 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its one poll

The overall trend is exactly the opposite, with more people trending towards remain and leaving leave.

Of course, the cynic in me would conclude that the reason Brexiteers are so desperate to get this done is that they can see it slipping out of their control (which it has) and refusing to accept that they are the reason it has (which they are)
I know, I know. However marginally (and it is marginal) the polls of Leave v Remain show leave slipping. But this is a different question entirely. It's as if were the question to be "Do you want to leave now, or do you want to remain after another year or two of squabbling?" then suddenly 'leave now' becomes the preferred outcome.

But yes, the absolutely overwhelming thing to remember is "It's one poll"

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:34 am

If it be your will wrote:I know, I know. However marginally (and it is marginal) the polls of Leave v Remain show leave slipping. But this is a different question entirely. It's as if were the question to be "Do you want to leave now, or do you want to remain after another year or two of squabbling?" then suddenly 'leave now' becomes the preferred outcome.

But yes, the absolutely overwhelming thing to remember is "It's one poll"
I'm 100% sure that a question like that (completely loaded as it is) will produce exactly the result you'd expect.

The slight wording changes in polls can show huge differences!

I want the extension in place, the No Deal avoided and a GE done so we can all hopefully move on to where ever it takes us.

But only one thing stops this dead, and allows parliament at least to get back to normal, and that is a revocation of Article 50.

Anything else still paralyses us for years.

(not advocating that btw, just stating reality)

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:You are right that people are fed up of it and the non politically engaged might naturally just have the view lets just get out but that is no compelling case to do so.
Being fed up of it all is a dreadful reason for no-deal. But ultimately that's what humans do. When they get totally sick of something they just walk away from it. I wonder if that is Boris's plan? To just turn the whole thing into such an unwatchable farce that people just think "Oh just leave then!", and will vote accordingly when he offers that immediate relief to the electorate in a few weeks time.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'm 100% sure that a question like that (completely loaded as it is) will produce exactly the result you'd expect.

The slight wording changes in polls can show huge differences!

I want the extension in place, the No Deal avoided and a GE done so we can all hopefully move on to where ever it takes us.

But only one thing stops this dead, and allows parliament at least to get back to normal, and that is a revocation of Article 50.

Anything else still paralyses us for years.

(not advocating that btw, just stating reality)
That might well be the completely loaded question Boris plans to put to the electorate. I can see it working.

(I happen to think revoking article 50 wouldn't end it either, because that scenario would be heaven for Farage.)

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:44 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Government would need 15-25 labour MPs.

I can't see any of them backing him after the tactics been shown yesterday to be perfectly honest.

Quite possible that it will have had the opposite effect.

No one likes Mays deal, because its shite to Brexiteers and shite to remainers, but its a compromise.

The referendum result screamed "Leave, but with a compromise"

Thats it basically
I'd agree Boris doesn't make consensus easy,but if he wants to keep his promise to exit the EU by Halloween,which he is banking his premiership on then he needs to find a deal,you could certainly make the case that why should Labour bail him out,he put himself in this position by promising something that wasn't in his power to deliver,even less so now he's lost his majority.

The reality is that they'll have to be a compromise if people want brexit delivered,the final outcome may not please everyone but that's tough.

Given Boris's recent actions i fear he'll either ignore the Benn bill,or be dragged kicking and screaming to Brussels for an extension,if it's the latter this could play into his and Cummings hands with their people vs parliament strategy,sadly it won't do the country or the democratic process any good.

The one thing i don't expect him to do is resign,but that is an option if he's prepared to gamble,his behaviour is becoming more erratic and unpredictable by the day so who knows.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:45 am

If it be your will wrote:That might well be the completely loaded question Boris plans to put to the electorate. I can see it working.

(I happen to think revoking article 50 wouldn't end it either, because that scenario would be heaven for Farage.)
It wouldn't end it, but it would end it in parliament (sorry for not being clear)

Parliament could then get on with other stuff that desperately needs doing.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:47 am

tiger76 wrote:I'd agree Boris doesn't make consensus easy,but if he wants to keep his promise to exit the EU by Halloween,which he is banking his premiership on then he needs to find a deal,you could certainly make the case that why should Labour bail him out,he put himself in this position by promising something that wasn't in his power to deliver,even less so now he's lost his majority.

The reality is that they'll have to be a compromise if people want brexit delivered,the final outcome may not please everyone but that's tough.

Given Boris's recent actions i fear he'll either ignore the Benn bill,or be dragged kicking and screaming to Brussels for an extension,if it's the latter this could play into his and Cummings hands with their people vs parliament strategy,sadly it won't do the country or the democratic process any good.

The one thing i don't expect him to do is resign,but that is an option if he's prepared to gamble,his behaviour is becoming more erratic and unpredictable by the day so who knows.
Deal reality from the EU side

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/stat ... 6023611392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:47 am

If it be your will wrote: I wonder if that is Boris's plan? To just turn the whole thing into such an unwatchable farce that people just think "Oh just leave then!", and will vote accordingly when he offers that immediate relief to the electorate in a few weeks time.
I would say it is definitely part of the plan / strategy
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Survation are a slightly funky polling company. They sometimes get slightly different results to most and have been accused of a Brexit bias (a sister company did various work for Leave.eu).

However, they are meant to have correctly predicted some stuff that other polling companies didn't (Brexit and the last election) so who knows.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I would say it is definitely part of the plan / strategy
I have been trying to understand his strategy for a few weeks now.
And I think i finally understand.
He Just’s needs to do nothing.
Parliament will not agree a deal.
They won’t let him go No Deal.
They won’t have an election.
They won’t a ref.

Result the EU kicks us out on 31st Oct.

He hasn’t broken the law, cause he can ask for an extension but won’t get one.
There no deal available so we get kicked out on WTO terms and Boris has done what he promised.
Parliament appear to be sleep walking into this trap.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm

In other news, political propaganda seemingly being shown at primary schools. (Although I'm not entirely sure what these school, digital noticeboards run by a third party are. They don't sound like a great idea.)

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/25/brexit-p ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:I have been trying to understand his strategy for a few weeks now.
They won’t a ref.

There no deal available so we get kicked out on WTO terms and Boris has done what he promised.
What makes you think this?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I would say it is definitely part of the plan / strategy
And unfortunately if that works then he has zero chance of uniting the country.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Mala591 wrote:I think that most of the 'frustration' inside and outside parliament has been caused by Labour MPs IN LEAVE MAJORITY VOTING CONSTITUENCIES towing the party line and refusing to support the EU/UK withdrawal agreement.

Julie Cooper is a remainer. I know she lost her temper with me on my doorstep on the very subject of leaving the EU.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:I have been trying to understand his strategy for a few weeks now.
They won’t a ref.

Serious question Lowbank but when you sit down to understand something do you do so in context of trying to get your conclusion to be what you want to hear rather than what the evidence points to?

What have you read or heard that has made you conclude the EU wont give us an extension (they may not) because the only argument I can see in your stance is that it means you arrive at the outcome you want to happen?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:39 pm

aggi wrote:What makes you think this?

Watched a clip of him on Peston.

He was absolutely clear he would obey the law but absolutely clear we would leave on the 31st.

To achieve that he only has to do absolutely nothing.

EU will kick us out on 31st.

Just think about what the EU want for an extension.

A GE or a referendum. Parliament will agree to neither .

One country just needs to say no to an extension and we are out.
This user liked this post: KateR

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Serious question Lowbank but when you sit down to understand something do you do so in context of trying to get your conclusion to be what you want to hear rather than what the evidence points to?

What have you read or heard that has made you conclude the EU wont give us an extension (they may not) because the only argument I can see in your stance is that it means you arrive at the outcome you want to happen?
Being honest NO.
But it is where it’s points to.
Serious question back.

Do think the EU will extend with no agreed deal in sight.

No election or vote in sight.

Conclusion I came to was , probably not.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Watched a clip of him on Peston.

He was absolutely clear he would obey the law but absolutely clear we would leave on the 31st.

Parliament will 100% agree to an election once the extension is granted and the EU will know this.

Im sure Boris and Cummings have some other underhand tactic to try and get round the Benn bill and the extension but every plan they have put into action so far has been a disaster so dont pin too much hope on whatever this one is.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Being honest NO.
Serious question back.

But I thought the EU were so scared of no deal that ‘keeping it on the table’ was our only bargaining chip to get a good deal? But now the EU are going to choose no deal over a three month extension during which there’ll be a general election?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Being honest NO.
Serious question back.

Yes I am very confident they will agree.

They know as does pretty much everyone that the opposition will push for an election once we have the extension.

An election then opens up potential for a whole new approach to negotiation with the EU and the possibility of consensus around a deal to leave

And if it his Johnson and his politics that still come out on top then the EU know we will leave with No Deal because of the decisions we make as a country and not because the EU didnt give us an extension (this is a subtle but important point for the EU)

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Some great pictures of the angry faces yesterday of Labour MPs can be found this morning.
The opposition parties went into Parliament yesterday baying for Johnson's blood.
Well done Boris , you did something yesterday that only the people wanting the referendum result honouring will understand.
Keep it up!

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:00 pm

It only needs one of the EU 27 to agree to 'bring phase 1 of the Brexit chaos to an end' for us to leave on Oct 31st. Maybe Boris has some sort of secret agreement in place? He does seem extremely confident that we will leave.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Johnson has apparently rejected a call for an electoral pact with the Brexit Party at the 1922 Committee meeting this morning. Seems it’s a step too far even for Johnson.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:11 pm

Mala591 wrote:It only needs one of the EU 27 to agree to 'bring phase 1 of the Brexit chaos to an end' for us to leave on Oct 31st. Maybe Boris has some sort of secret agreement in place? He does seem extremely confident that we will leave.
It won’t happen. The EU are an object lesson to our own government on how sticking together makes you stronger.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Watched a clip of him on Peston.

The only way we won't be having an election between 1st of November and 31st January would be if Parliament somehow manages to get a government of national unity to work long-term (which seems unlikely) and I'm sure the EU can see that too.

Whether it's the election or the GNU they're both enough of a game changer for the EU to extend.

Most people who've been following the politics rather than the front pages of the tabloids are aware that there are very good reasons not to have an election until the extension is confirmed but I can see it being announced very shortly afterwards.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:26 pm

I see Jess Phillip's has embarrassed herself again.
Using Jo Cox's murder to try and score cheap points
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:32 pm

martin_p wrote:Johnson has apparently rejected a call for an electoral pact with the Brexit Party at the 1922 Committee meeting this morning. Seems it’s a step too far even for Johnson.
No way Boris would publically do a deal with Farage,though I’d imagine behind the scenes they may HAVE to get into bed with Farage in order to win convincingly. The BP could wreak havoc in 100’s of seats for the Tory’s.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:34 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:No way Boris would publically do a deal with Farage,though I’d imagine behind the scenes they may HAVE to get into bed with Farage in order to win convincingly. The BP could wreak havoc in 100’s of seats for the Tory’s.
How do you not have candidates in seats where the BP may do better in secret?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:43 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:No way Boris would publically do a deal with Farage,though I’d imagine behind the scenes they may HAVE to get into bed with Farage in order to win convincingly. The BP could wreak havoc in 100’s of seats for the Tory’s.
If he publicly refuses to do a deal (yet does one behind the scenes) how does he get round the issue of having to field candidates in every seat at the next election (those where the BXP have a better chance) without making it look like both parties are working together?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Damo wrote:I see Jess Phillip's has embarrassed herself again.
Using Jo Cox's murder to try and score cheap points
By highlighting she has received death threats?