Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Murger » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:33 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Hahahahaha!

Dynamite if there is owt in it!

Yeah, wonder why this being made up now?

Johnson is in deep ****

Seriously, is there anything you won't believe?
I no longer believe in Father Christmas or the Tooth Fairy. Does that count?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:33 pm

Murger wrote:Image

Dynamite if there's owt in it.
Is this in case Johnson decides to break the law and not send the letter himself or is there more to it? If its just contingency to gaurd against a rogue PM then dont see the fuss.

Talking about colluding with foreign countries to go against our own county whats Daniel Kawczynski up to these days?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:44 pm

There is nothing in the article.

Nothing.

If they had anything, they'd print it.

I cannot believe, even after three years of this kinda stuff that people are still willing to shut down their brain functions just be because they want so desperately to believe stuff like this.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:20 am

Why would they print anything if there is an ongoing investigation?
That's a genuine question btw and I fully expect others on here to ask you the same thing, because we shouldn't expect the media to reveal anything sensitive IF our politicians have been colluding against our government with politicians from other countries.

IF this is true then it's quite a big issue and will be interesting to watch unfold and to see what powers the government has to act against the British politicians who've been involved with this.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:23 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:A fairer society.

Going back to 16 year old girls seeing having having loads of kids a career choice .

Where two adults were earning more money having 6 kids than two parents with two kids holding down 3 jobs and earning less than people on benefits.

Councils having to build 7 bedroom houses for people with six kids.

Who the hell is going to pay for all this massive give away.

Oh yes people like me who earn a good living are going to be taxed to death to pay for the sick, lame and lazy.

Whilst I am more than happy to support those who really need it, under Labour it would return to the abuse than happened before.
Erm, the teenagers having kids "as a career choice" was happening under the Tories and carried on with Labour.

Neither party has ever really tried to tackle the issue.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:25 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:Corbyn is offering the moon on a stick.

Less hours.

More and more and more and more spending.

For us who were around in the 70’s 80’s.

It’s like second coming of the devil.

For those born after 1990’s, what’s not to like.
What about the millions and millions Boris has been promising for our hospitals, schools, railways etc? Or is it only reckless when its Labour making the pledges?

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:41 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:There is nothing in the article.

Nothing.

If they had anything, they'd print it.

I cannot believe, even after three years of this kinda stuff that people are still willing to shut down their brain functions just be because they want so desperately to believe stuff like this.
Not exactly that far fetched, with what has been going on lately is it?
In fact it wouldn't surprise most people if they invented a new law allowing it to happen

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:20 am

summitclaret wrote:Surely leave is entitled to define what leave means?
Leave has been trying define what leave means for over three years now, but still hasn't come close to actually doing it.

The reality is that leaving the EU means the withdrawal agreement. The only thing we're arguing over is whether we ratify it now before we leave, or whether we sign up to the key components of it when we're back at the negotiating table after a No Deal exit.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:47 am

Kate's new voice has dynamite in it?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:10 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Why would they print anything if there is an ongoing investigation?
That's a genuine question btw and I fully expect others on here to ask you the same thing, because we shouldn't expect the media to reveal anything sensitive IF our politicians have been colluding against our government with politicians from other countries.

IF this is true then it's quite a big issue and will be interesting to watch unfold and to see what powers the government has to act against the British politicians who've been involved with this.
Problem we are going to have to that what you think is collusion and what I think is are two completely different things.

To me, asking the Polish or Hungarian governments to block an extension so EU blocks our parliament from doing it's job is exactly that.

Problem for you is that the people who have done that are Brexit Party MEPs and a Conservative MP for Shrewsbury who used to be in the ERG.

To me, that is defo worthy of investigation because it's pretty much what people who want other countries to have a real say in our affairs do.

Farage has a word for it as well that he's very fond of using.

Agree?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 am

No mention of any of that in the actual article.

Well, I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

This sums it up best

https://twitter.com/JMPSimor/status/1178085494825144320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They know that you will believe anything that backs up your point of view.

We see it on here every day.

While you do that (consciously or unconsciously) then we are going nowhere fast.

Now Sid (and others), why do you think there 13 page scoop (with no evidence in, just lots of exhortations about remainer traitors (again, its a shock isn't it?)

Why now?

Could it be anything to do with the last week that Johnston just had?

Could it? Could it?

It couldn't be just to take peoples minds of the reality of last week?

I mean, the Conservatives and the Mail on Sunday would never do that, would they?

Wake up and smell the coffee eh?

They are treating you like idiots.

Don't let them.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:38 am

Daily Mail is an appalling newspaper only slightly better than the Express.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:39 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:Leave has been trying define what leave means for over three years now, but still hasn't come close to actually doing it.

The reality is that leaving the EU means the withdrawal agreement. The only thing we're arguing over is whether we ratify it now before we leave, or whether we sign up to the key components of it when we're back at the negotiating table after a No Deal exit.
It's been rejected 3 times and yet people think it can be the middle option in a ref question in an approach that is biased towards remain.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:41 am

Some interesting new polling out from Lord Ashcroft, people prefer No Deal to Corbyn as Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status ... 6355591169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:43 am

They know that you will believe anything that backs up your point of view.
Think you've just described yourself there mate.
This user liked this post: KateR

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:49 am

summitclaret wrote:It's been rejected 3 times and yet people think it can be the middle option in a ref question in an approach that is biased towards remain.
It isn't a middle option. It is the only credible leave option available. That is what Brexit looks like. Don't like it? Don't vote for it.

The really important point that needs to be stressed, is that there's no getting away from that withdrawal agreement even in the event of leaving with no deal. The key contents (financial settlement, Irish border, citizens rights) will still be sat there waiting to be resolved before any talks of a future trading relationship can begin. Which is another reason why 'No Deal' is a complete nonsense.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:54 am

AndyClaret wrote:Think you've just described yourself there mate.
I haven't though have I?

Evidence free 100% conviction is defo not my thing!

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 am

AndyClaret wrote:Some interesting new polling out from Lord Ashcroft, people prefer No Deal to Corbyn as Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status ... 6355591169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour leavers prefer Boris to Corbyn.
Attachments
4.PNG
4.PNG (112.68 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
3.PNG
3.PNG (99.75 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
2.PNG
2.PNG (87.96 KiB) Viewed 2438 times

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:17 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:Leave has been trying define what leave means for over three years now, but still hasn't come close to actually doing it.

Leave means what it always has, that we control our own money, trade, borders and laws. It suits remain to muddy the waters. Yes there is a debate about how to leave but what it is us clear in.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:42 am

AndyClaret wrote:Some interesting new polling out from Lord Ashcroft, people prefer No Deal to Corbyn as Prime Minister.

That is all pretty devastating for Labour and for remain also. There are few surprises for me. Any further delays in sorting brexit will only make it worse for both.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:54 am

Interesting speech, well worth a listen.

Daniel Hannan - Germany no longer needs Europe

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 am

AndyClaret wrote:Labour leavers prefer Boris to Corbyn.
I’m not a Corbyn fan, but if the choice is him or Johnson, I’ll be voting for Labour.

Johnson is an embarrassment to this country.

Using a poll from the Mail isn’t really proof of anything, the mail wouldn’t know the truth if it smacked them in the face.

Johnson and his rhetoric whipping up the masses, bribing the country with promises of spending on the NHS and the police and being believed, if it wasn’t so frightening it would be hilarious.

Billions to be spent on new hospitals if Johnson is in power, I wonder where that money will be coming from, the USA perhaps.

The man is a liar and we all know it.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am

Heathclaret wrote:I’m not a Corbyn fan, but if the choice is him or Johnson, I’ll be voting for Labour.

Johnson is an embarrassment to this country.

Using a poll from the Mail isn’t really proof of anything, the mail wouldn’t know the truth if it smacked them in the face.

Johnson and his rhetoric whipping up the masses, bribing the country with promises of spending on the NHS and the police and being believed, if it wasn’t so frightening it would be hilarious.

Billions to be spent on new hospitals if Johnson is in power, I wonder where that money will be coming from, the USA perhaps.

The man is a liar and we all know it.
Attacking the poll because you don't like the results is a bit Trumpian isn't it ?

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 am

AndyClaret wrote:Attacking the poll because you don't like the results is a bit Trumpian isn't it ?
Especially when it is a respected source. He/she seems to think that the Mail has just made it up.
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

Lord Rothbury
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Lord Rothbury » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:06 am

summitclaret wrote:Especially when it is a respected source. He/she seems to think that the Mail has just made it up.
Lets have a 2nd poll we could call it the "Peoples Poll"

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:09 am

Lord Rothbury wrote:Lets have a 2nd poll we could call it the "Peoples Poll"
Is that the best you can come up with?

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:13 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:Corbyn is offering the moon on a stick.

Less hours.

More and more and more and more spending.

For us who were around in the 70’s 80’s.

It’s like second coming of the devil.

For those born after 1990’s, what’s not to like.
How is it "moon on a stick" when it's being paid for by increased taxes? He's not promising big spending increases and big tax cuts like Johnson is.

If we want idiotic and reckless economic policy, look no further than the last nine years. Deficit caused by financial crash? Let's get the poor to pay that one off. The richest thousand people here see their wealth double in just five years to half a trillion pounds, misery is caused for the poorest, everyone else suffers through stagnating wages, and underfunded services, and our national debt doubles. Rank incompetence.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:17 am

AndrewJB wrote:How is it "moon on a stick" when it's being paid for by increased taxes? He's not promising big spending increases and big tax cuts like Johnson is.

If we want idiotic and reckless economic policy, look no further than the last nine years. Deficit caused by financial crash? Let's get the poor to pay that one off. The richest thousand people here see their wealth double in just five years to half a trillion pounds, misery is caused for the poorest, everyone else suffers through stagnating wages, and underfunded services, and our national debt doubles. Rank incompetence.
You didn't like cuts in public spending and the debt doubling. There's a conflict here.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:25 am

It's probably to keep newspapers from reporting on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ouse-grant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While not as much money is involved here as was with the Garden Bridge debacle (forty million of taxpayers money and nothing to show for it), this one lifts the veil on how the PM thinks as an entitled toff. "Rules don't apply to me"

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:30 am

taio wrote:You didn't like cuts in public spending and the debt doubling. There's a conflict here.
There actually isn't. The government cut taxes for the wealthy while they were cutting spending for everyone else. "We are all in it together" was simply a lie. It was their choice to balance our books on the backs of our poorest, the disabled, single mothers, the sick, the old, the unemployed - rather than making it the responsibility of the banking sector, for example.

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:35 am

AndyClaret wrote:Attacking the poll because you don't like the results is a bit Trumpian isn't it ?
Didn’t the polls have Milliband beating Cameron.

Also, the poll is dependent on who was asked the question.

What does trumpian mean?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:45 am

Various polls (including Lord Ashcroft’s) before the last GE were claiming a clear Tory majority would be the outcome.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:47 am

AndrewJB wrote:There actually isn't. The government cut taxes for the wealthy while they were cutting spending for everyone else. "We are all in it together" was simply a lie. It was their choice to balance our books on the backs of our poorest, the disabled, single mothers, the sick, the old, the unemployed - rather than making it the responsibility of the banking sector, for example.
Indeed. Another corporation tax cut this year too.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 am

Swizzlestick wrote:Indeed. Another corporation tax cut this year too.
But there's a good argument and evidence that cutting corporation tax has been invaluable for the economy and increasing revenue for the government.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:55 am

taio wrote:But there's a good argument and evidence that cutting corporation tax has been invaluable for the economy and increasing revenue for the government.
Depends what you read I suppose https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48885496

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:03 am

Swizzlestick wrote:Depends what you read I suppose https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48885496
I'd be concerned about increasing corporation tax while exiting the EU.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:11 am

taio wrote:I'd be concerned about increasing corporation tax while exiting the EU.
Even if we increased it 3%, we’d still have one of the lowest rates in the EU. Not that I’m saying we should, just that it’s scandalous that corporate tax rates are being cut at the same time as public services being slashed under the guise of “austerity” or whatever they’re calling it now. Especially as it’s not been proven that it does increase revenues into the public purse. Not like Boris to be misleading, is it?

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:14 am

Swizzlestick wrote:Even if we increased it 3%, we’d still have one of the lowest rates in the EU. Not that I’m saying we should, just that it’s scandalous that corporate tax rates are being cut at the same time as public services being slashed under the guise of “austerity” or whatever they’re calling it now. Especially as it’s not been proven that it does increase revenues into the public purse. Not like Boris to be misleading, is it?
On the flip side corporation tax shouldn't be increased, without unequivocal evidence that it would improve the economy, just for the sake of hitting businesses.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:01 pm

taio wrote:On the flip side corporation tax shouldn't be increased, without unequivocal evidence that it would improve the economy, just for the sake of hitting businesses.
Even going back to 2010 there was no good economic argument for cutting corporation tax, because many companies were sitting on big cash piles that they were unwilling to invest because the economic outlook wasn't good. If the government taxed these companies more, the money could have been used to invest in the economy, and that would have provided a stimulus. We have the choice of leaving money with a corporation and letting them spend it as they wish - which could mean just moving it offshore, or handing it out to shareholders (who may or may not live here), or buying property with it (which doesn't have a positive impact on the economy); or taxing it and using the money for a definite public good. Even increasing welfare spending will do the economy more good than a company handing out dividends, because the money is spread more evenly across the economy, and goes right back in.

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:35 pm

AndrewJB wrote:There actually isn't. The government cut taxes for the wealthy while they were cutting spending for everyone else. "We are all in it together" was simply a lie. It was their choice to balance our books on the backs of our poorest, the disabled, single mothers, the sick, the old, the unemployed - rather than making it the responsibility of the banking sector, for example.
Aye, .... and who were responsible for deregulating the UK banking system?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Led by Regan across the pond but it was Thatcher who embraced the free market ideals in the 80s that led to the deregulation of the UK banking system as well as leading us down the path of privatisation and foreign ownership

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:35 pm

Hmmm, according to a Guardian article in 2012 covering banking collapse Nigel Lawson toyed with the idea under Thatcher govt but it was actually Brown & Balls who went ahead with the deregulation in 1997.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:46 pm

atlantalad wrote:Hmmm, according to a Guardian article in 2012 covering banking collapse Nigel Lawson toyed with the idea under Thatcher govt but it was actually Brown & Balls who went ahead with the deregulation in 1997.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_(financial_markets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Up until 2007 not only were Cameron and Osborne pledging to maintain Labour’s spending plans, but they were also urging Labour to deregulate more. There is also a speech in which Osbourne said Britain needed to emulate Ireland’s success - just before their economy crashed.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:48 pm

The Tories raised the income tax rate from £6000 to around 12000, taking over two million low paid workers out of paying any income tax.
43% of people now pay no income tax.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote: 43% of people now pay no income tax.
Or to put it another way - 43% earn less than £12,500 a year. At least employment figures are up though, eh.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:59 pm

atlantalad wrote:Hmmm, according to a Guardian article in 2012 covering banking collapse Nigel Lawson toyed with the idea under Thatcher govt but it was actually Brown & Balls who went ahead with the deregulation in 1997.
Im guessing the Gaurdian article you are referencing is the one which pretty much just lays out Philip Booth of the IEA views

The IEA describes itself as a freemarket think tank and is regarded as having a heavy right wing bias. In fact this year it has received a formal warning for political bias from the regulator in the area it published its new paper in.

I think you just need to be careful what you read and look up sources and try to find multiple articles. Out of about 5 or 6 articles ive just looked at this is the only one with this view whereas everything else points to the 1980's government.

There is no doubt since 96 Labour could have done more and those who support the Labour Corbyn represents can fairly have a go at Blair and Brown but this approach was fully supported and backed by the Tory's who probably would have taken things further than the New Labour govt did

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:01 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:Or to put it another way - 43% earn less than £12,500 a year. At least employment figures are up though, eh.
Surely you still think increase in the lower threshold to such an extent is a good thing along with the statutory minimum wage.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:01 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:The Tories raised the income tax rate from £6000 to around 12000, taking over two million low paid workers out of paying any income tax.
43% of people now pay no income tax.
Everybody started paying tax at £11,800, so when you spin this as “for lower earners” that’s not true. For anyone earning £6000pa or £8000pa they would see no benefit at all.

Let’s not forget that along with his tens of billions of pounds of extra spending, Johnson is also promising a tax cut to higher earners (as well as focusing another at lower income people), and so far nothing has emerged as to how all of this will be paid for. We get establishment media fury at Corbyn’s costed plans, and establishment media silence at the establishment’s poster boy’s slipshod economics. Funny that.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:05 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Everybody started paying tax at £11,800, so when you spin this as “for lower earners” that’s not true. For anyone earning £6000pa or £8000pa they would see no benefit at all.

Let’s not forget that along with his tens of billions of pounds of extra spending, Johnson is also promising a tax cut to higher earners (as well as focusing another at lower income people), and so far nothing has emerged as to how all of this will be paid for. We get establishment media fury at Corbyn’s costed plans, and establishment media silence at the establishment’s poster boy’s slipshod economics. Funny that.
They will borrow money.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:Or to put it another way - 43% earn less than £12,500 a year. At least employment figures are up though, eh.
So is that not a good thing.

Or do you think they should be on welfare and not bothering going to work.