Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:28 pm

summitclaret wrote:Cherry case lost. However another case tomorrow on asking the Scottish Court to send the letter if BJ doesn't. That's a BJ win either way really.
Its only lost because the Government specifically said they would obey the law.

You really need to start to see the difference between what they are saying, and what they are actually doing.

Its all talk for the election.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Spijed wrote:If there is a substantial delay how is he going to stop.losing votes to Nigel Farage?
And if it's "do or die" how is he going to explain why he's not dead yet?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:47 pm

AndrewJB wrote:And if it's "do or die" how is he going to explain why he's not dead yet?
He’ll come on tv and explain that he is in fact dead. His supporters will believe it and the Tory media will print obituaries and anyone who says ‘but hang on, he’s not dead. Look he’s still PM’ will be labelled a democracy’s denying remoaner traitor.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies AndrewJB

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its only lost because the Government specifically said they would obey the law.

You really need to start to see the difference between what they are saying, and what they are actually doing.

Its all talk for the election.
They had said many times that they would. This was a stupid case as I said the other day. Course it's about an election.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Spijed wrote:If there is a substantial delay how is he going to stop.losing votes to Nigel Farage?
A lot easier than Corbyn.

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:No

Certainly coming off the ships with correct paperwork, then what is it, 10% will be stopped (I think that is it at the moment) then it will be as normal as possible.

And with all the will in the world, when you said they would be "waved through", that isn't what you meant!

The backlogs/hold ups will be at the export end of both Calais and Dover I suspect, but hopefully we will never have to find out.
What I have consistently said is that there will be no shortage of essentials eg. medicine, because there is no obligation to stop every lorry and if there are vital shortages, the medicine lorries can be waved straight through.

You tell me 90% of wagons are waved straight through now; so does that not mean it's possible to wave through the vital supplies?

My point has always been that it is up to Customs & Excise to decide how much of the imports to check. If they want minimum disruption, they check nothing; if they want maximum accuracy, they check everything. It's a matter of finding the happy medium. That is how it is now, and that is how it will be in future. If they need to get medicines in quickly, they will check them less.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:25 pm

If people think that Johnson is moving heaven and earth to get Brexit through, then they will be less inclined to vote for Farage. If Brexiters believe that the main reason we haven't left yet is because Corbyn and friends are blocking it, and it's not Johnson's fault, then Johnson will get many of their votes.

Don't underestimate the "I'm sick of this, let's get it over with" lobby. There must be a lot of people in the middle with either no strong views at all, or mixed views seeing equal advantages both ways, but who want it all to be over. Which way are they going to vote? Conservative, who have a plan to try and end it? Or Labour, who want it to carry on? They won't vote Farage, but they might well vote for Johnson.
This user liked this post: KateR

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:32 pm

dsr wrote:What I have consistently said is that there will be no shortage of essentials eg. medicine, because there is no obligation to stop every lorry and if there are vital shortages, the medicine lorries can be waved straight through.

You tell me 90% of wagons are waved straight through now; so does that not mean it's possible to wave through the vital supplies?

My point has always been that it is up to Customs & Excise to decide how much of the imports to check. If they want minimum disruption, they check nothing; if they want maximum accuracy, they check everything. It's a matter of finding the happy medium. That is how it is now, and that is how it will be in future. If they need to get medicines in quickly, they will check them less.
French authorities estimated a 2 minute delay at the Calais border could lead to 27,000 vehicles queuing on both sides of the channel. If the roads are completely gridlocked for miles how do you propose we get those wagons from the back of the queue to the front of the queue to even make the decision to wave them through

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm

It's all doom and gloom, let's stay, I'm mean everyone was living in Utopia and had nothing to moan about, everyone should want to go back to the days when politicians never lied.
This user liked this post: Damo

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 pm

dsr wrote:If people think that Johnson is moving heaven and earth to get Brexit through, then they will be less inclined to vote for Farage. If Brexiters believe that the main reason we haven't left yet is because Corbyn and friends are blocking it, and it's not Johnson's fault, then Johnson will get many of their votes.

Don't underestimate the "I'm sick of this, let's get it over with" lobby. There must be a lot of people in the middle with either no strong views at all, or mixed views seeing equal advantages both ways, but who want it all to be over. Which way are they going to vote? Conservative, who have a plan to try and end it? Or Labour, who want it to carry on? They won't vote Farage, but they might well vote for Johnson.
Leave have done a good job in convincing people that No Deal will somehow bring things to a close rather than the reality of it just being the first step. The way that they've convinced people that after No Deal the EU will somehow forget about the divorce bill, Irish border, etc when they're negotiating a deal with the UK has been impressive.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:French authorities estimated a 2 minute delay at the Calais border could lead to 27,000 vehicles queuing on both sides of the channel. If the roads are completely gridlocked for miles how do you propose we get those wagons from the back of the queue to the front of the queue to even make the decision to wave them through
No idea. Probably we'll all die just like we all did the last umpteen times the French ports were on strike and the Kent motorways were turned into lorry parks. Except we didn't die, did we?
These 3 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo KateR Damo

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm

aggi wrote:Leave have done a good job in convincing people that No Deal will somehow bring things to a close rather than the reality of it just being the first step. The way that they've convinced people that after No Deal the EU will somehow forget about the divorce bill, Irish border, etc when they're negotiating a deal with the UK has been impressive.
Even if it was "only the first step", you still get closer to the finish by taking the first step than you do by sitting at the start line complaining that it's too hard.
This user liked this post: KateR

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:50 pm

dsr wrote:No idea. Probably we'll all die just like we all did the last umpteen times the French ports were on strike and the Kent motorways were turned into lorry parks. Except we didn't die, did we?
You made the claim certain lorry's could be easily waived through. I have highlighted your ignorance around this claim. You have then gone a bit loopy and started going on about people dying.

Well argued Sir!!

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:You made the claim certain lorry's could be easily waived through. I have highlighted your ignorance around this claim. You have then gone a bit loopy and started going on about people dying.

Well argued Sir!!
Thank you.

I suppose it is possible that the roads are so gridlocked that not a vehicle can get through. Let's hope no police or ambulances are needed either. The doomsayers may of course be right, it may be that there will be medicines thirty miles from the British coast and no-one can think of any way to get them to Britain. All ports closed, all helicopters out of action, all freight planes shot down, the Army unable to help. But I doubt it.

Or it may even be that things carry on as they are now in accordance with that government briefing. I'm sure things have changed in the past without it being a new apocalypse. Perhaps we'll apply the Dunkirk spirit and send a few hundred small boats.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:You made the claim certain lorry's could be easily waived through. I have highlighted your ignorance around this claim. You have then gone a bit loopy and started going on about people dying.

Well argued Sir!!
It won't be gridlocked as we won't be trading with each other according to the pessimistic remainers.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:06 pm

aggi wrote:Leave have done a good job in convincing people that No Deal will somehow bring things to a close rather than the reality of it just being the first step. The way that they've convinced people that after No Deal the EU will somehow forget about the divorce bill, Irish border, etc when they're negotiating a deal with the UK has been impressive.
Leave have done a good job of convincing some very gullible people from Day One of this whole farce.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It won't be gridlocked as we won't be trading with each other according to the pessimistic remainers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 pm

gullible, nice dig at people, you could also counter with the Remain group have done a fantastic job with project fear on the cowards that don't like change. I mean they don't like change why, was it because of the idyllic lives they were leading?

Some people believe there is a change in order to improve, others like things just the way they are/were.

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Imo Johnson's WA proposals are definitely the way forward. An EU single market across Ireland is a major compromise and an electronic customs border is the only medium/long term solution. Giving the NI 'government' the power to review the agreement every four years will be unacceptable to the EU/ROI and I can't see this proposal surviving the negotiations.

The EU now need to produce a detailed reply to Johnson's proposals listing their concerns in detail then negotiations can re-start asap.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:29 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It won't be gridlocked as we won't be trading with each other according to the pessimistic remainers.
Can you find any source anywhere for anyone having ever said this?
But even if you could find any evidence for this statement, we wouldn't necessarily need to be trading with France. Goods would still have to cross Europe and the channel in order to get here.

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:30 pm

dsr wrote:Even if it was "only the first step", you still get closer to the finish by taking the first step than you do by sitting at the start line complaining that it's too hard.
But taking the first step isn't the same as having a plan to try and end it. (Also, cheers for another crap brexit analogy, I reckon we must be in three figures with these now.)

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:43 pm

dsr wrote:Thank you.

I suppose it is possible that the roads are so gridlocked that not a vehicle can get through. Let's hope no police or ambulances are needed either. The doomsayers may of course be right, it may be that there will be medicines thirty miles from the British coast and no-one can think of any way to get them to Britain. All ports closed, all helicopters out of action, all freight planes shot down, the Army unable to help. But I doubt it.

Or it may even be that things carry on as they are now in accordance with that government briefing. I'm sure things have changed in the past without it being a new apocalypse. Perhaps we'll apply the Dunkirk spirit and send a few hundred small boats.
It's bizarre, isn't it? Really, really strange.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:52 pm

summitclaret wrote:They had said many times that they would. This was a stupid case as I said the other day. Course it's about an election.
Every time remain bring a court case, or some other such thing, three days later Tory poll ratings go up. I can't therefore fathom why remain keep doing this.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:53 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Can you find any source anywhere for anyone having ever said this?
But even if you could find any evidence for this statement, we wouldn't necessarily need to be trading with France. Goods would still have to cross Europe and the channel in order to get here.
You really want me to trawl through millions of posts on here to find it? Haha

My head spins after reading 5 or 6 posts on these threads.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:02 pm

aggi wrote:But taking the first step isn't the same as having a plan to try and end it. (Also, cheers for another crap brexit analogy, I reckon we must be in three figures with these now.)
I'm sure half the people on this board believe it's a plan that will fail. But nonetheless, the Tories' plan is trying to end the Brexit chaos and uncertainty.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 pm

dsr wrote:What I have consistently said is that there will be no shortage of essentials eg. medicine, because there is no obligation to stop every lorry and if there are vital shortages, the medicine lorries can be waved straight through.

That doesn't take into account any hold ups on the French side though.

The problem is once the hold ups start (and despite everyone saying that its all Project Fear) then the delays will cause more and more issues.

To pretend that a switch from a CM/SM to WTO overnight is going to cause no issues or result in trucks being waved through is disingenuous at best and downright stupid at worse.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 pm

dsr wrote:Even if it was "only the first step", you still get closer to the finish by taking the first step than you do by sitting at the start line complaining that it's too hard.
Depends which direction the first step is.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 pm

dsr wrote:I'm sure half the people on this board believe it's a plan that will fail. But nonetheless, the Tories' plan is trying to end the Brexit chaos and uncertainty.
It isn't though is it?

Its three years of trying to fit the perfect circle of Brexit into the square of reality and they are arguably no closer to understanding that now then they were in 2016.

Its delusion on an epic scale, which they only get away with because enough people in the country are equally deluded.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:33 pm

dsr wrote:No idea. Probably we'll all die just like we all did the last umpteen times the French ports were on strike and the Kent motorways were turned into lorry parks. Except we didn't die, did we?
The leave rhetoric now seems to be just this, "well it won't be the disaster everyone thinks it's going to be" or "I'm tired of it let's just leave".
I'm still waiting for a viable explanation of how leaving the EU will actually be a positive. I still haven't heard one good argument, but now it's reduced to "it won't be THAT bad"
This user liked this post: longsidepies

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm

willsclarets wrote:The leave rhetoric now seems to be just this, "well it won't be the disaster everyone thinks it's going to be" or "I'm tired of it let's just leave".
I'm still waiting for a viable explanation of how leaving the EU will actually be a positive. I still haven't heard one good argument, but now it's reduced to "it won't be THAT bad"
If you like the idea of political unionism and hate the idea of self governing nation states then there is nothing that will make you like Brexit and all its "positives" will be lost on you.

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Putting "positives" in inverted commas made sense. We are self governing already, the Brexit process has demonstrated that quite well while still being in the EU. The argument we leave the EU for that reason is total nonsense.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 pm

willsclarets wrote:The leave rhetoric now seems to be just this, "well it won't be the disaster everyone thinks it's going to be" or "I'm tired of it let's just leave".
That's because your mind is closed.

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:It isn't though is it?

Its three years of trying to fit the perfect circle of Brexit into the square of reality and they are arguably no closer to understanding that now then they were in 2016.

Its delusion on an epic scale, which they only get away with because enough people in the country are equally deluded.
Perfectly summed up by the Ireland question that people don't seem to understand is what is, to brexiters, the EU "refusing to negotiate".
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret longsidepies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Nice to see our back up plan of a trade deal with Trump is looking a really safe bet.

He's off the scale insane is that lad!
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:50 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:If you like the idea of political unionism and hate the idea of self governing nation states then there is nothing that will make you like Brexit and all its "positives" will be lost on you.

Three years and perfectly sensible people (well, apart from pretending to be in the FLA) still think this is actually true.

No wonder we are in a world of trouble.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Three years and perfectly sensible people (well, apart from pretending to be in the FLA) still think this is actually true.

No wonder we are in a world of trouble.
who pretended to be in the FLA? I don't remember that

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 pm

summitclaret wrote:That's because your mind is closed.
No, it really isn't. I'm just not blinded by misguided optimism based on no evidence whatsoever, and a willingness to make the biggest political decision in our lifetime that was based on vague notions of outdated nationalism, lies and now a dogged determination to see it through regardless of the cost. Not to mention a massive arrogance by British government to dismiss Northern Ireland in it's botched job of executing brexit.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:who pretended to be in the FLA? I don't remember that
Oh so, you don't remember pretending to be in it, or are you in it, but don't remember telling everyone that you weren't in it?

Neither is a good look CM

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:54 pm

willsclarets wrote:Perfectly summed up by the Ireland question that people don't seem to understand is what is, to brexiters, the EU "refusing to negotiate".
what is it you fail to understand, negotiation, 2 or more groups/people trying to come up with a mutually agreeable solution, for you it is EU have stated this therefore the UK must agree, that is categorically not a solution. If the UK say well we are not agreeing to your backstop and therefore we are leaving, will the EU and Ireland get exactly what they want?

It really is not difficult to understand

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:57 pm

KateR wrote:what is it you fail to understand, negotiation, 2 or more groups/people trying to come up with a mutually agreeable solution, for you it is EU have stated this therefore the UK must agree, that is categorically not a solution. If the UK say well we are not agreeing to your backstop and therefore we are leaving, will the EU and Ireland get exactly what they want?

It really is not difficult to understand
But the refusal of the UK to admit that the Irish border issue makes its Brexit options pretty narrow hasn't helped Kate.

In 2017, the UK Government guaranteed to the EU that it wouldn't put infrastructure in NI.

In 2019, it broke that promise to please 10 DUP MPs and about 30 ERG members.

Its not a good look at all

Its screams out "we are not serious" to everyone else. Only Brexiteers swallow the guff that the government is coming out with.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Reality
GFA.jpg
GFA.jpg (63.26 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
This user liked this post: willsclarets

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:08 pm

willsclarets wrote:Perfectly summed up by the Ireland question that people don't seem to understand is what is, to brexiters, the EU "refusing to negotiate".
The EU's withdrawal agreement has been rejected by parliament THREE times. The latest Johnson proposals seem to have a majority support in parliament and offer the opportunity for a negotiated compromise deal. If the EU don't attempt to negotiate seriously and in good faith then THEY will be responsible for a no-deal Brexit.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:But the refusal of the UK to admit that the Irish border issue makes its Brexit options pretty narrow hasn't helped Kate.

In 2017, the UK Government guaranteed to the EU that it wouldn't put infrastructure in NI.

Its screams out "we are not serious" to everyone else. Only Brexiteers swallow the guff that the government is coming out with.
You are trying to blame Boris for remainer May's promises.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Mala591 wrote:The EU's withdrawal agreement has been rejected by parliament THREE times. The latest Johnson proposals seem to have a majority support in parliament and offer the opportunity for a negotiated compromise deal. If the EU don't attempt to negotiate seriously and in good faith then THEY will be responsible for a no-deal Brexit.

All the UK parliament have done is essentially rehash the "Malthouse compromise" as in ignore what is possible but agree on something that might pass parliament.

Its pointless to do stuff like that without checking first that the basic premise is acceptable to the other side.

The reality of the Irish border meant we had a very narrow Brexit possibility.

Mays deal was that, but it wasn't acceptable to the Brexiteers because they had promised everyone something unattainable.

They are driving this "its all the fault of the EU" narrative and can only get away with it if people continue to refuse to accept the realities.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:17 pm

AndyClaret wrote:You are trying to blame Boris for remainer May's promises.

Its a UK government promise, made on a negotiated deal that took us out of the EU. Those types of things matter Andy, even if you don't want to think they do.

Its 100% the Brexit that possible and satisfied the referendum result.

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:But the refusal of the UK to admit that the Irish border issue makes its Brexit options pretty narrow hasn't helped Kate.

I completely agree that the Irish Border issue is the most complicated and the issue is around both sides of the argument wanting there own way, well unfortunately neither side will get it's own way. To me, and it's just me looking on, the EU have held firm and as it was in May's deal which we know 100% got blocked 3 times in parliament so no one should think it will be acceptable again.

BJ has not got what he asked for when he recently took office, since then he has modified, has presented something that was a line that would never be crossed in the last years. It's a change to help bring a deal, EU have 3 choices, if they just say no how does that help them of the UK? If they say yes, then you can logically assume we move to a deal and 2 years of negotiation, highly unlikely I agree. Finally they can say well ok we can accept this but not that and offer some constructive dialogue in try to get the what is not acceptable to something acceptable to both parties.

The EU stance whether you like it or not is irrelevant, but for me there stance is what is today stopping the deal everyone says they want and if it continues then it will result in a no deal. That bit is simple, well at least for me

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:20 pm

AndyClaret wrote:You are trying to blame Boris for remainer May's promises.
"Remainer May" - If this is what she is, that makes Johnson the most gullible idiot in the world for serving in her cabinet for as long as he did. No wonder he's unable to negotiate his way out of a paper bag, as we've seen over the last few months.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:22 pm

KateR wrote:I completely agree that the Irish Border issue is the most complicated and the issue is around both sides of the argument wanting there own way, well unfortunately neither side will get it's own way. To me, and it's just me looking on, the EU have held firm and as it was in May's deal which we know 100% got blocked 3 times in parliament so no one should think it will be acceptable again.

BJ has not got what he asked for when he recently took office, since then he has modified, has presented something that was a line that would never be crossed in the last years. It's a change to help bring a deal, EU have 3 choices, if they just say no how does that help them of the UK? If they say yes, then you can logically assume we move to a deal and 2 years of negotiation, highly unlikely I agree. Finally they can say well ok we can accept this but not that and offer some constructive dialogue in try to get the what is not acceptable to something acceptable to both parties.

The EU stance whether you like it or not is irrelevant, but for me there stance is what is today stopping the deal everyone says they want and if it continues then it will result in a no deal. That bit is simple, well at least for me
The Irish border can only be sorted if we accept that the customs border is in the Irish Sea. Even I know that is impossible for a Unionist and Conservative Party to accept, which is why May came up with the whole of the UK being in it.

Thats how to sort this, but its getting people to understand that and row back to it that is the problem.

You've seen Andys post a couple up. He calls her "remainer May" even though her deal delivered Brexit.

Its a completely mad way of looking at it, but that is why we are where we are.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 pm

martin_p wrote:Where did I mention Brexit news?

I struggling to comprehend what the relevance of your big 'he's got a German wife' reveal was. You don't seem to know yourself anymore.
I explained that in previous posts pal. It wasnt in layman's terms, so ill have another go for you...

So, combatclaret asked me (you were part of this conversation, so I shouldn't need to repeat it, but I will);
CombatClaret wrote:People have accepted there will be negatives only after the result. The campaign was fought on the pretense that

"There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside" - Former Brexit Secretary

So it is right we continue on even though what some people likely voted for has turned out to be untrue?
So I said;
"If anyone wants to hold up their hand and say the heard that, believed it to be true and voted to leave on the back of it, then I'm quite happy to have a conversation with them about brexit being scrapped"

Combat then came back with 2 examples of people who supposedly voted Leave, then changed their mind. Given that he quoted me, I assumed it was because they were lead to believe that "There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside"
I then had a really quick look at one of the people he quoted, and discovered that his wife was German.
Because of that (I do understand other brexiteers may have german wives, but i try to take each persons descision to vote the way they did on merit, and concluded that Farage had bigger factors than his wife's passport to consider when applying his vote) i concluded that the guy in question (James Mellor, not Nigel Farage) must have been lying or incredibly stupid. I did say I thought he was lying, but it turns out intact, that he was incredibly stupid for voting leave. Not just, as it turns out because his wife was an EU citizen, but also because it was a protest vote.

Hope that clears that up pal

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Mala591 wrote:The EU's withdrawal agreement has been rejected by parliament THREE times. The latest Johnson proposals seem to have a majority support in parliament and offer the opportunity for a negotiated compromise deal. If the EU don't attempt to negotiate seriously and in good faith then THEY will be responsible for a no-deal Brexit.
The reductive nature of this argument, essentially based on a numbers game, is just perfect. You just want to leave, and you don't care how. And I dare say you don't know why.