Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

martin_p wrote:Ok, tell me what terms we’re leaving the EU on if there’s no Brexit uncertainty.

The uncertainty is caused by still Remaining, not Brexit.

Leave and the uncertainty ends.

Leave means out of the CU, SM, ECJ and ending free movement of People.

Final answer. Like it or lump it
This user liked this post: Damo

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:I've given you my answer.

It's my final answer.

Now. Whether you accept that it's my final answer is entirely upto you. However, given your unwillingness to accept the referendum result, I wont hold my breath Marty.
You haven’t answered the question I asked (because it will demonstrate uncertainty Brexit).

I’ll make it really simple for you in the style you like.

Are we leaving with a deal? Yes or No
Last edited by martin_p on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Greenmile wrote:Source?
Screenshot_20191010-182613_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20191010-182613_Samsung Internet.jpg (420.82 KiB) Viewed 1381 times

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:30 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:According to little Europeaners like you, the Sunderland Nissan plant should be shut by now!

How embarrassing for you all.
Well done at ignoring what the European Head of Nissan is saying.

Given that most people were aware that Nissan had negotiated support from the UK government it seems unlikely that people were saying that it would be shut by now. I'm sure you can break the habit of a lifetime and find evidence for that though. Can't you?

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Do you understand the full context of the quote in terms of the full content and the point in history? I think it contains some very good thinking as a reflection piece of how we went wrong to allow a second great war materialise following the lessons we should have learned from the first.

The fact that some of the ideas have proved a cornerstone for providing almost blanket peace and stability within Europe is something to be thankful for

Also I replied a few times to Ringo when he has highlighted this quote pointing out its full context which he always conveniently managed to avoid responding to

https://federalunion.org.uk/the-ending-of-armageddon/
I agree a strong federal Europe is good for mainland Europe, but not for us. We fell into Europe when the country was on its arse and we’ve been paying for it ever since. Heath new the money had run out... they left Callahan a note to say as much. Being part of the common market was needed AT THAT TIME... while it is still preferable to most people it is certainly not beyond questioning now. Like Churchill... I’m all for a strong federal Europe, also like Churchill I don’t see that we necessarily need to be in the middle of it.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 pm

summitclaret wrote:What do you want to confirm?
I want to confirm the 98.6% of polls this year that indicate Britain is now a majority remain country.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Damo wrote:
Or alternatively, something that isn’t two months old.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp

Tells a very different story.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 pm

aggi wrote:Or, people believe that an EU that has elections, has a council selected by democratically elected leaders, etc. is democratic.

Please try and explain exactly why you don't think the EU is democratic. What specific elements do you have issues with?
Everyone who sits at the top of the table are Federalists. They are selected for that very reason, not by you and me, but by other Federalists. The MEPs can then vote for who they want, and if they dont like any, they can replace them with another bunch of Federalists.
Imagine going into a polling booth at a GE and having a choice of 5 candidates, all Tories. No Labour, no Lib Dems, no Monster Raving Loonies, just Tories. People would go mad, but it's common practice within Brussels.
They have no manifesto, no opposition party, no alternative vision of Europe it's just their way. They might be good, and do a good job, BUT they might be crap, it makes no difference, because the agenda wont change and if they lost their jobs they will be replaced by more Federalists.
We as citizens of Europe have absolutely no say on which way the EU goes, or what it does, none. MEPs dont even have a say, they can vote against a proposal, but as history shows they just re word it and vote again, and again, until they get their way.
The EU commission dont even write policy, they just get paid a fortune to rubber stamp what the Federalist elite dictate.
Policy cant be brought from the floor of the European Parliament. Hilary Benns Surrender act wouldnt have been possible in Brussels because it's against their rules. The MEPs might get a vote, but they dont get to direct the EU in any shape or form.

When you are run by a government you have no control over, that you cannot remove, that you cannot replace, that has no opposition to offer an alternative future, you have no democracy.

They are taking more and more controls from sovereign states, unto itself, ALL for the greater good of course, but the more they take the less our voice becomes. That might seem fine if everything is hunky dory, but what happens when things stop going well, what do you do when you've made your bed and you have to lie in it, because as hard as it is to break free from the EU is today, it will only get more and more complicated in the future as more and more of our domestic policies are linked, tied in, dependent on one EU department or another.

If the last 3 years has opened my eyes to anything it's how much I hate the incumbents in the HOC , but I'd rather hate a government I can play my part in removing, then hate one I have no control over at all.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:42 pm

martin_p wrote:UK government departments very rarely balance the books.
It’s ok to lose billions then.

Silly me.

We lose a few thousand at work someone gets sacked.
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 pm

willsclarets wrote:It works absolutely fine for the principle point I was making, and you know full well it wasn't an analogy for the intricacies of Brexit as a whole. All analogies are reductive, and do me a favour and point out where it falls down before jumping on your high horse.

First of all I do not have a high horse, but you continue to shoot one liners as though you have thought of something insightful that may helps others think, ok fair enough I never thought of that.

There are so many places it falls down as an overview, first and foremost it smacks of elitism, which I would maybe wrongly thought you'd be against.

It helps the layman though in that there are so many other places he can go and play much cheaper than a members only club, which of course the EU undeniably is.

My husband as been a member of several clubs around the world and it has been family memberships, I play or should say used to, even within numerous clubs there were the elitists, ohhh yes my husbands on the committee don't you know, or I am on the ladies committee, I have heard them talking about who is suitable and who is not.

For another thought it will always be which club are you a member of, for example the club nearest to my husband in Houston TX has a joining fee of $100,000, then an annual fee which is ridiculous and excludes 99% of Houstonians, "The River Oaks Country Club" look it up if you don't believe me.

My husband and several of his friends when they first started living in Houston formed there own golf club but without a golf course, it was one of only 3 in the US that was a PGA approved golf club with no course, it was run out of a British Pub, with a committee, handicaps, and several annual tournaments. They funny thing is they had numerous members and found that the very clubs that were expensive to join were asking them to play there since there took over a course for a morning or afternoon really, but for a couple of major tournaments they held also for a full day, and yes weekends. The same clubs would also offer things like free breakfast or a free drink to every player upon completing the round, so in this regard your analogy is very weak and actually supports leaving more than staying in my mind but of course I would never hold it up as a rationale.

I really didn't want to write all this, it does not help you change your mind but banal analogies are not helpful.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 pm

aggi wrote:Crowing about Nissan today isn't really the strongest argument if you're supporting the possibility of No Deal:

Nissan's European chairman, Gianluca de Ficchy
The only message I can [give] is that if a no-deal will be associated with the application of 10% duties under the WTO rules, that will create an enormous problem for the overall European activities of Nissan Europe.

"If we will have to sustain 10% export duties on the vehicles that we export from UK to EU, knowing that those vehicles represent 70% of total production, the overall business model won't be sustainable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/busi ... rofit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nissan made clearer on Thursday the extent of its problems, after it disclosed a dramatic plunge in its financial results.

Nissan said its profit fell to 6.4 billion yen, or $59 million, in the April-to-June period from 115.8 billion yen during the same time last year. Its revenue fell nearly 13 percent.
Nissan has much bigger problems than Brexit to worry about, it will cause an issue but it won't even be the final nail in the coffin for it.

If Renault goes ahead with its proposal to ditch Nissan and go with Fiat Chrysler Automotives instead then Nissan will really be up a creek without a paddle to the extent I'd expect them to disappear.
Last edited by GodIsADeeJay81 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Damo wrote:We have accepted it. Its remainers who cannot accept it.
Now they are inventing new rules to force our prime minister to ask for a pointless extension.

The number of people in favour of no deal is growing by the day
But it isn't matched by the numbers who want to sack the whole thing off.

Again

If you insist on the harshest Brexit which has not enough support, then you won't get a Brexit at all.

Reality

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Stop trying to place the "context" game

The EU uses the statement

“National sovereignty is the root cause of the most crying evils of our times….The only final remedy for this evil is the federal union of the peoples.”

To justify its crushing of national sovereignty and independence in its aggressive drive to a federal europe with mission creep expansionist empire building , that only the other week the , near hysteria driven , Verhofstadt, was proudly boasting of , at the illiberal anti Democrats conference.

And I agree 100 % we do indeed, " see things differently you and I"

I believe that referendum results should actually be implemented.

I'm a bit old fashioned like that.
What you're saying, and showing to everyone else on here, is you don't understand the meaning of the statement you quoted, or you do and want everyone to misconstrue it to mean something else. Either ignorant, or trying to fool people.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 pm

martin_p wrote:Ok, tell me the terms of the deal then. Are we leaving with a deal? No deal?

Objection m'lord, argumentative!!

ohhh wait a minute, now I see a theme
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:54 pm

CombatClaret wrote:I want to confirm the 98.6% of polls this year that indicate Britain is now a majority remain country.
Interestly, I joined several polling sites.

For the first month they sent me polls asking my voting intentions.

Answer was leave or Brexit party.

For the last 8 weeks they have not sent me polling forms.

When I posted this on a Brexit site it’s happened to many brexiteers.

Please don’t be fooled by them manipulating the polls.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Everyone who sits at the top of the table are Federalists. They are selected for that very reason, not by you and me, but by other Federalists. The MEPs can then vote for who they want, and if they dont like any, they can replace them with another bunch of Federalists.
Imagine going into a polling booth at a GE and having a choice of 5 candidates, all Tories. No Labour, no Lib Dems, no Monster Raving Loonies, just Tories. People would go mad, but it's common practice within Brussels.
They have no manifesto, no opposition party, no alternative vision of Europe it's just their way. They might be good, and do a good job, BUT they might be crap, it makes no difference, because the agenda wont change and if they lost their jobs they will be replaced by more Federalists.
We as citizens of Europe have absolutely no say on which way the EU goes, or what it does, none. MEPs dont even have a say, they can vote against a proposal, but as history shows they just re word it and vote again, and again, until they get their way.
The EU commission dont even write policy, they just get paid a fortune to rubber stamp what the Federalist elite dictate.
Policy cant be brought from the floor of the European Parliament. Hilary Benns Surrender act wouldnt have been possible in Brussels because it's against their rules. The MEPs might get a vote, but they dont get to direct the EU in any shape or form.

When you are run by a government you have no control over, that you cannot remove, that you cannot replace, that has no opposition to offer an alternative future, you have no democracy.

They are taking more and more controls from sovereign states, unto itself, ALL for the greater good of course, but the more they take the less our voice becomes. That might seem fine if everything is hunky dory, but what happens when things stop going well, what do you do when you've made your bed and you have to lie in it, because as hard as it is to break free from the EU is today, it will only get more and more complicated in the future as more and more of our domestic policies are linked, tied in, dependent on one EU department or another.

If the last 3 years has opened my eyes to anything it's how much I hate the incumbents in the HOC , but I'd rather hate a government I can play my part in removing, then hate one I have no control over at all.
Why are we electing Federalists is the question that springs to mind when I read this. They're selected by the leaders of the member countries, how come all these federalists are getting elected to lead their countries?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Everyone who sits at the top of the table are Federalists. They are selected for that very reason, not by you and me, but by other Federalists. The MEPs can then vote for who they want, and if they dont like any, they can replace them with another bunch of Federalists.

If, as it sounds like, Boris has made a big concession, and we get a deal similar to the one by Teresa May, what would your view be of the current PM?

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 pm

martin_p wrote:Or alternatively, something that isn’t two months old.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp

Tells a very different story.
A poll of independence readers tells a very different story.
Of that you can be sure

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:But it isn't matched by the numbers who want to sack the whole thing off.

Again

If you insist on the harshest Brexit which has not enough support, then you won't get a Brexit at all.

Reality
The only people who are insisting on the harshest of brexits are the EU.
But I expect they will climb down now that it's a real possibility

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Damo wrote:The only people who are insisting on the harshest of brexits are the EU.
And the ERG, and Nigel Farage.

They do not want a deal under any circumstances.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:05 pm

CombatClaret wrote:I want to confirm the 98.6% of polls this year that indicate Britain is now a majority remain country.
So polls of a couple of thousand trump a poll of 35m. Polls are not reliable as proved in the referendum and in particular rhe last GE.

What question do you want to ask?

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Given todays news and as a follow up to what I previously asked, when we leave does it mean that Euro lottery tickets can no longer be sold in the UK?

If so that would be a lot bigger loss to my family & I than any of the other things posted such as waiting in line at passport control and being able to get a work visa in any EU country!!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Damo wrote:The only people who are insisting on the harshest of brexits are the EU.
But you know that is not true.

The No Deal lot are there and sabotaging a deal.

And yes, there are clearly remainers who can see that this could be on its last legs but this is the last chance for a deal.

Just don't mess it up

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:16 pm

KateR wrote:Objection m'lord, argumentative!!

ohhh wait a minute, now I see a theme
Ok then, do you deny there’s uncertainty over Brexit. You seem a sensible poster.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Damo wrote:A poll of independence readers tells a very different story.
Of that you can be sure

Where does it say it’s ‘independence readers’? (sic)

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 pm

But what about ‘the surrender bill’?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:But you know that is not true.

The No Deal lot are there and sabotaging a deal.

And yes, there are clearly remainers who can see that this could be on its last legs but this is the last chance for a deal.

Just don't mess it up
This is the last best chance of a deal at least.... The Irish government has towed the EU line, and good on them. I suspect that all Ireland is in danger of economic meltdown if things don’t change quickly; the point will only have been underlined in the meeting today. As Has been pointed out by the Conservatives for a long time further delay serves no one, unless it is nailed on the Tories will not going to get a majority next election... certainly not something I would be willing to gamble on.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 pm

KateR wrote:First of all I do not have a high horse, but you continue to shoot one liners as though you have thought of something insightful that may helps others think, ok fair enough I never thought of that.

There are so many places it falls down as an overview, first and foremost it smacks of elitism, which I would maybe wrongly thought you'd be against.

It helps the layman though in that there are so many other places he can go and play much cheaper than a members only club, which of course the EU undeniably is.

My husband as been a member of several clubs around the world and it has been family memberships, I play or should say used to, even within numerous clubs there were the elitists, ohhh yes my husbands on the committee don't you know, or I am on the ladies committee, I have heard them talking about who is suitable and who is not.

For another thought it will always be which club are you a member of, for example the club nearest to my husband in Houston TX has a joining fee of $100,000, then an annual fee which is ridiculous and excludes 99% of Houstonians, "The River Oaks Country Club" look it up if you don't believe me.

My husband and several of his friends when they first started living in Houston formed there own golf club but without a golf course, it was one of only 3 in the US that was a PGA approved golf club with no course, it was run out of a British Pub, with a committee, handicaps, and several annual tournaments. They funny thing is they had numerous members and found that the very clubs that were expensive to join were asking them to play there since there took over a course for a morning or afternoon really, but for a couple of major tournaments they held also for a full day, and yes weekends. The same clubs would also offer things like free breakfast or a free drink to every player upon completing the round, so in this regard your analogy is very weak and actually supports leaving more than staying in my mind but of course I would never hold it up as a rationale.

I really didn't want to write all this, it does not help you change your mind but banal analogies are not helpful.
All of that is an exploration into the specificities of golf club membership and the variables therein. None of it devalues the basic principle and analogy, that being a member of any club has to carry with it benefits and cost efficiencies that protect the integrity of that membership. On the back of a short conversation about the relative negotiation positions, all I was saying is that the EU was always going to negotiate in a way that preserved that integrity. Was it a mind blowing analogy? No. But it wasn't supposed to be representative of the whole debate.
And set against characterisation of democracy reduced to "sometimes you lose", I hardly think it was worth singling out.
These 2 users liked this post: AndrewJB Greenmile

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm

KateR wrote:Given todays news and as a follow up to what I previously asked, when we leave does it mean that Euro lottery tickets can no longer be sold in the UK?

If so that would be a lot bigger loss to my family & I than any of the other things posted such as waiting in line at passport control and being able to get a work visa in any EU country!!
And sewage free beaches.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:33 pm

martin_p wrote:Ok then, do you deny there’s uncertainty over Brexit. You seem a sensible poster.

Personally Martin I believe there is a certainty over Brexit, we had a referendum and voted to Leave, this was also (in my mind what Ringo was saying)

You have changed it slightly to is it with a deal or no deal, Ringo can not nor can any other person here or even in the EU or the UK answer that, it is still to be decided.

You could argue my initial point and say no it's not certain we are leaving and the Brexit referendum, you would not be alone if you took this stance, however for now I still believe there is a Brexit certainty, just not the details and minutia of how we will leave.

Hopefully this helps you understand my thought process, I am not of course speaking for Ringo and merely interpreted what he said and you answer, my comment "argumentative" was meant to be lighthearted as I see a few people getting agitated again when trying to demand others answer questions. I will admit to getting very frustrated with people who do not see my vision and point of view on numerous subjects, some that are glaringly obvious in my opinion, and I do not mean just Brexit.

And for total clarity I really do want a deal and not no deal, however I would prefer no deal over remain
Last edited by KateR on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:39 pm

willsclarets wrote:All of that is an exploration into the specificities of golf club membership and the variables therein. None of it devalues the basic principle and analogy, that being a member of any club has to carry with it benefits and cost efficiencies that protect the integrity of that membership. On the back of a short conversation about the relative negotiation positions, all I was saying is that the EU was always going to negotiate in a way that preserved that integrity. Was it a mind blowing analogy? No. But it wasn't supposed to be representative of the whole debate.
And set against characterisation of democracy reduced to "sometimes you lose", I hardly think it was worth singling out.

I obviously did think it was worth singling out, purely because it is such a poor analogy, you will have to forgive me for having an opinion that differs from yours, I should have known better than try to rationalize anything with you. Continue with your one liners they are so helpful, insightful and I am sure you have so many people thinking, maybe I was wrong in regard to Brexit.

regarding your missive above, "EU preserved that integrity", what integrity are you trying to describe because you lost me completely on that one?
Last edited by KateR on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

martin_p wrote:And sewage free beaches.

Sewage free beaches have always been my preferred option, so we agree on something, thank goodness :)

Just in case, are you eluding to a fact or prediction that when we leave the EU the UK will have beaches with sewage?

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Oh so you just want to overturn the last referendum then. How democratic of you. I thought you were going to say what Hillary Benn and lots of other labour mps are now saying, that we get a new deal agreed with the EU and then put that up against remain in about 6 months. As stupid as that sounds, if we can't get a new deal they want to put May's thrashed deal up against remain. I doubt they care what is put up as long as they can overturn the last vote.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:12 pm

AndrewJB wrote:I was referring to Johnson's direct authoritarian actions and words. Perhaps Bercow is deploying a smoke screen himself? Triggering gammon.

This was Corbyn today, trying to "divert attention from his own party" :) announcing policies to tackle inequality, and give young people hope for the future: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ther-upset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I’ve heard from Labour so far is the promise of a Henry 8th type asset stripping to pay for a comprehensive education system... as someone who was schooled during Labours last attempt at comprehensive education... What a treat awaits the young.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Economic disaster!!!??? :lol:

"A vote to Leave would lead to the Nissan plant in sunderland closing" - Remoaners and their project fear prior to the 2016 Peoples Vote

Sunderland and the country votes Leave anyway.

Fast forward to 2019

Today , production of the new Nissan Juke, aimed at the European market began and the new cars rolled of the production line

Lies lies lies.

How embarrassed about that are you!

Nissan begins manufacturing new Juke model at Sunderland plant - Chronicle Live
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... w-17063387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see you've gone for the fingers in your ears shouting "blah, blah I can't hear you" approach again.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:19 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:I see you've gone for the fingers in your ears shouting "blah, blah I can't hear you" approach again.

mmmmm, yes, pot calling kettle black me thinks.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:28 pm

KateR wrote:mmmmm, yes, pot calling kettle black me thinks.
It is not anti- Brexit news.... it HAS to be lies, surely you’ve worked out the modus operandi of this thread.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1650 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Spijed wrote:And the ERG, and Nigel Farage.

They do not want a deal under any circumstances.
Not the case - most of the ERG want a deal, Steve Baker is the Chair and I recently sat for an hour listening to him explain to us what kind of a deal he wants. Basically a free trade agreement after a transition.

There isn’t the desire for no deal that many Remainers like to pretend, but, far better that than Brexit In Name Only (BRINO) or no Brexit at all.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4261 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Damo wrote:
Your screenshot doesn’t show the results of the poll (unless I’m missing something).

I thought all opinion polls can be ignored anyway, or is that just the ones that don’t show what you want them to?

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 pm

summitclaret wrote:Oh so you just want to overturn the last referendum then. How democratic of you. I thought you were going to say what Hillary Benn and lots of other labour mps are now saying, that we get a new deal agreed with the EU and then put that up against remain in about 6 months. As stupid as that sounds, if we can't get a new deal they want to put May's thrashed deal up against remain. I doubt they care what is put up as long as they can overturn the last vote.
This "overturn" rhetoric is nonsense and really should stop. It won't stop, obviously, and I won't waste too much energy trying to appeal to brexiteer logic, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Any hypothetical referendum with the option for 'leave' being defined (as it would be, in accordance with the legislation that would be passed to hold the referendum) held in six-months time, a year, two years from now, next week, tomorrow - whenever - would supplant one 3+ year-old policy mandate with a better defined and more up to date policy mandate better reflecting the mood of the country as a whole right now. That isn't what 'overturning' means. It's essentially what brexiteers were arguing for years before the question of EU membership became mainstream.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 pm

summitclaret wrote:So polls of a couple of thousand trump a poll of 35m. Polls are not reliable as proved in the referendum and in particular rhe last GE.

What question do you want to ask?
Exactly.

Polling during chaos (actually Remainer led chaos, but that is by the by) is guaranteed to give a distorted short term result.

For example, if you poll today on whether Extinction Rebellion are a bunch of troublemaking tossers, a vast majority would say yes. If you poll in a years time, they may say no.

We cannot be taken in by Remainers deliberately manipulating polls to force a second referendum.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 pm

rhetoric on one hand hypothetical on the other hand. Why bother even trying at this juncture, there is not going to be a referendum well not another one on Brexit, it's a nonstarter a no argument today, it's just absolute nonsense that you even want to discuss it.

Maybe in a few months it might have some merit in discussing, and I say might as in slight chance.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:58 pm

On the main topic of the day, my hunch is that Ireland have blinked. I know I predicted that, so may be suffering from confirmation bias, but.....

The age old wisdom is that the person making the compromise is the one who has to spin it his way, so that he can sell it to his people as a joint thing. It’s Dublin who are doing the spinning. The other clue was Varadkar grinning like a Cheshire Cat at the start of the talks.

We’ll have to move a bit of course, but Boris’s lack of majority may come back to help him.

All speculation, but we will see.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Spiral wrote:This "overturn" rhetoric is nonsense and really should stop. It won't stop, obviously, and I won't waste too much energy trying to appeal to brexiteer logic, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Any hypothetical referendum with the option for 'leave' being defined (as it would be, in accordance with the legislation that would be passed to hold the referendum) held in six-months time, a year, two years from now, next week, tomorrow - whenever - would supplant one 3+ year-old policy mandate with a better defined and more up to date policy mandate better reflecting the mood of the country as a whole right now. That isn't what 'overturning' means. It's essentially what brexiteers were arguing for years before the question of EU membership became mainstream.
So you think that this remainer parliament is going to agree a fair question? There is only 1 - do you want to leave yes or no. Anything that takes no deal away from the table and means the EU stay in charge of negotiations.

Or if you want to define what leave means then do think that a remainder HOC can do that fairly or are you prepared to let lwave supporting mps do it because you have your option of remain already.

Or if we have agreed a deal with the EU, do you think it is reasonable to delay matters months just so you can have a second go at remaining? I don't .

Why should leavers have to win 2 refs to get what they want?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:09 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:On the main topic of the day, my hunch is that Ireland have blinked. I know I predicted that, so may be suffering from confirmation bias, but.....

The age old wisdom is that the person making the compromise is the one who has to spin it his way, so that he can sell it to his people as a joint thing. It’s Dublin who are doing the spinning. The other clue was Varadkar grinning like a Cheshire Cat at the start of the talks.

We’ll have to move a bit of course, but Boris’s lack of majority may come back to help him.

Ireland has to blink.... anything else is inviting potential economic disaster. Eire needs the British market, he has done very well to last this long. The last thing the EU needs is to have Ireland back to going cap in hand for major bailouts like the bad old days.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:On the main topic of the day, my hunch is that Ireland have blinked. I know I predicted that, so may be suffering from confirmation bias, but.....

But how does he win Brexit Party votes?

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Ireland has to blink.... anything else is inviting potential economic disaster. Eire needs the British market, he has done very well to last this long. The last thing the EU needs is to have Ireland back to going cap in hand for major bailouts like the bad old days.

I wish I was as sure as you two guys seem to be, I personally think there is a long and winding road ahead, mmmm maybe a song title in there :)

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:15 pm

martin_p wrote:Where does it say it’s ‘independence readers’? (sic)
Auto correct fail pal. I'll proof read when I retire, and brexit news makes or breaks my day

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Greenmile wrote:Your screenshot doesn’t show the results of the poll (unless I’m missing something).

I thought all opinion polls can be ignored anyway, or is that just the ones that don’t show what you want them to?
And I thought they were absolute proof. Unless they say something contrary to what you believe

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I notice no one is in the remote interested that the EU can lose 2.6 billion.

And it’s ok