Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:21 am

If it be your will wrote:I agree. The absolute best scenario for Brexit Party is the Tories passing a Brexit-in-name-only deal. Even if the deal is without an exit clause, like May's (rendering it illegal to ever fully leave), Farage wouldn't think twice about campaigning on a 'rip up the deal' ticket. This is precisely the path that leads to a Farage PM - and the end of the Conservative Party.

That's why I don't think it will happen.
Please enlighten all of us why its illegal to ever fully leave in the event of Mays Deal?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:21 am

If it be your will wrote:I agree. The absolute best scenario for Brexit Party is the Tories passing a Brexit-in-name-only deal. Even if the deal is without an exit clause, like May's (rendering it illegal to ever fully leave), Farage wouldn't think twice about campaigning on a 'rip up the deal' ticket. This is precisely the path that leads to a Farage PM - and the end of the Conservative Party.

Why does May’s deal ‘render it illegal to ever fully leave’.

Edit - snap!!

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:23 am

Mala591 wrote:Lest we forget what all this is about:

Independent international trade policy
Free trade/tariff free trade deal with the EU
Independent legal system
Independent immigration policy
Independent agricultural policy
Independent fisheries policy
No more net payment into the EU

Free travel and movement around Europe is a major loss
Even with a fta there will be more trade friction at EU/UK borders

Anything else?
State Aid Rules, Public Procurement Rules, Vking/Laval Judgments, 4th Railway Package, 3rd Energy Package, mass labour arbitrage, Stability and Growth Pact (aka 'The endless austerity pact')...

Lots to gain for us lefties too, you know!
This user liked this post: Mala591

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 am

martin_p wrote:Why does May’s deal ‘render it illegal to ever fully leave’.

Edit - snap!!
Look, you already know this - unless an agreement is reached with the EU in the transition period, we will be subject to all the EU rules forever, without having any say in them. There was no unilateral exit clause in the WA. That's what all this backstop stuff is about, for crying out loud!

Okay, I'm a tiny bit wrong. It says the transition period could be extended to '31st December 20xx' (remember that?), so I suppose the WA agreement would legally expire on 1st Jan 2100. Not quite 'forever' then, I guess. It's still 'forever' for anyone reading this, though.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 am

I think you're vastly overestimating how concerned a lot of people are about the details of Brexit. Any deal to leave will win over a large number of the "sod it, let's just get it done" crowd and if Johnson can get a few papers like the Sun on board (which is very possible) the deal will be enough for the majority.

The people that need to be won over aren't the likes of the ones on this thread who have strong opinions and have put a lot of though into it, they're not really going to change their mind, it's the man in the street with only a passing interest.
This user liked this post: KateR

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 am

aggi wrote:I think you're vastly overestimating how concerned a lot of people are about the details of Brexit. Any deal to leave will win over a large number of the "sod it, let's just get it done" crowd and if Johnson can get a few papers like the Sun on board (which is very possible) the deal will be enough for the majority.

The people that need to be won over aren't the likes of the ones on this thread who have strong opinions and have put a lot of though into it, they're not really going to change their mind, it's the man in the street with only a passing interest.
Your guess is as good as mine. This isn't what the Euro elections suggested, though.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am

If it be your will wrote:Your guess is as good as mine. This isn't what the Euro elections suggested, though.
But it is exactly what by-elections for Parliament suggest though.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:38 am

If it be your will wrote:Look, you already know this - unless an agreement is reached with the EU in the transition period, we will be subject to all the EU rules forever, without having any say in them. There was no unilateral exit clause in the WA. That's what all this backstop stuff is about, for crying out loud!

Okay, I'm a tiny bit wrong. It says the transition period could be extended to '31st December 20xx' (remember that?), so I suppose the WA agreement would legally expire on 1st Jan 2100. Not quite 'forever' then, I guess. It's still 'forever' for anyone reading this, though.
Thats not true either though is it?

The backstop only exists till the tech solutions are in place to replace it.

Once the backstop goes, then we go.

It might take a lot longer than some people want, but there will be a tech solution to NI at some stage.

Hell, we might have reached it yesterday.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:38 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:If you think that about Mays deal then you have to think that about Johnsons as well.
Yes fair enough but it only needs to remove the trapstop because the real prize is clarity now on a Canada style ftd now and not May's everything to everyone PD. That's what all put the extreme ERG members gave been fighting for.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Thats not true either though is it?

It might take a lot longer than some people want, but there will be a tech solution to NI at some stage.

Well, until the EU is satisfied we have the tech solutions! It's 2100, mate...

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am

If it be your will wrote:Look, you already know this - unless an agreement is reached with the EU in the transition period, we will be subject to all the EU rules forever, without having any say in them. There was no unilateral exit clause in the WA. That's what all this backstop stuff is about, for crying out loud!

So when an agreement was reached we could ‘fully leave’ then. Seems it wouldn’t be illegal after all.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am

I'm really not clear.
Other than the technical issue of the Irish border / backstop,(which isn't really a part of the Withdrawal Agreement), how is Johnson's "deal" so different to the "May Deal" that the ERG and many posters on here thought was worse than remaining?
Last edited by nil_desperandum on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am

If it be your will wrote:State Aid Rules, Public Procurement Rules, Vking/Laval Judgments, 4th Railway Package, 3rd Energy Package, mass labour arbitrage, Stability and Growth Pact (aka 'The endless austerity pact')...

Lots to gain for us lefties too, you know!
Then Labou should vote for a deal and then try to convince the public abiut its policies in a GE.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:43 am

If it be your will wrote:Your guess is as good as mine. This isn't what the Euro elections suggested, though.
Yep, neither of us can really know.

The Euro elections was a pretty low turnout (not far off half of the 2017 GE turnout) which you could argue supports my position that far fewer people care that much.

Also, there were plenty of polls at the time that had people saying they wouldn't vote the same way in a GE. My view has always been that the Brexit party will get a handful of seats at best in a GE. The only way I can see that changing is if Article 50 is unilaterally revoked.
This user liked this post: KateR

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:43 am

martin_p wrote:So when an agreement was reached we could ‘fully leave’ then. Seems it wouldn’t be illegal after all.
Yes, we can legally leave once the EU says we can. That's correct, yes.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 am

Spijed wrote:Wonder what Labour voters will do who were happy to vote for the Brexit party in places like Burnley?

Is that good for the Tories?
It's not worth my 10 minute walk to the polling station to vote Labour while Cooper and Corbyn are there.

If it's not worth voting for the Brexit party I will leave it at least 4 years and reassess if it's worth voting again.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 am

If it be your will wrote:Yes, we can legally leave once the EU says we can. That's correct, yes.
Well when there was agreement on both sides. They couldn’t just chuck us out with no deal like they can at the moment. But at least you’ve admitted you misrepresented the deal.
Last edited by martin_p on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am

You missed the bit about until the EU say the solutions exist. That's been the point all along.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am

On a separate note, Im' surprised we haven't seen a larger amount of Northern Ireland bashing up until now.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

If it be your will wrote:Well, until the EU is satisfied we have the tech solutions! It's 2100, mate...
And in the meantime, NI has the best investment opportunities in both the UK and the EU. Its a goldmine for NI (which would still be part of the UK, and therefore a goldmine for the UK)

Only someone who won't admit they are wrong is going to think that the EU are going to keep that any longer than they have to.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:47 am

nil_desperandum wrote:I'm really not clear.
Other than the technical issue of the Irish border / backstop,(which isn't really a part of the Withdrawal Article), how is Johnson's "deal" so different to the "May Deal" that the ERG and many posters on here thought was worse than remaining?
Unless he's removed the backstop, it isn't. And I think Leavers will react accordingly.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am

martin_p wrote:Well when there was agreement on both sides. They couldn’t just chuck us out with no deal like they can at the moment. But at least you’ve admitted you misrepresented the deal.
!

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:53 am

Mala591 wrote:Lest we forget what all this is about:

Independent international trade policy
Free trade/tariff free trade deal with the EU
Independent legal system
Independent immigration policy
Independent agricultural policy
Independent fisheries policy
No more net payment into the EU

Free travel and movement around Europe is a major loss
Even with a fta there will be more trade friction at EU/UK borders

Anything else?
You've listed all those things in a way that they're not interlinked or co-dependent, and making the assumption many of these are positives when they are in many expert's opinion, inferior outcomes to the ones we currently enjoy. Is an independent trade policy from scratch better than the collective bargaining power of the world's largest economy? Is an FTA with the Uk's biggest market in any way comparative to the benefits of full EU integration? Is the (over-exaggerated) net payment to the EU offset by economic gains we make by being in the EU? Making something "independent" from an economic point of view doesn't make it better by proxy does it?

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:57 am

summitclaret wrote:Then Labou should vote for a deal and then try to convince the public abiut its policies in a GE.
Labour should be doing a lot of things they are abjectly failing to do.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:04 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:All Cummings was doing was firing a shot across the bows.

Classic “good cop bad cop”. It hasn’t done it in isolation, it is part of the diplomatic package. And, of course, we aren’t assuming it is done yet.

This could have been resolved in 2016 if the Tories hadn’t stitched up Johnson out of spite and put May in power. He is (allegedly) a womanising liar, but he is far more intelligent than May and far more able to play the tough line when needed (look at him evicting so many MPs from the whip, whereas she had them rebelling left right and centre).

I said last week that Steve Baker told us that Boris could be our greatest ever peacetime PM. That seems a bit rich, but there is a huge gap between that and what some think of him - he is likely to surpass their low expectations.
If a source "close to Barnier" made overt threats to the UK, of dealing directly with Scotland and Wales, for example, and of a trade embargo against British goods, you would be spluttering with outrage. You would not accept that it was "just part of a diplomatic package". Hypocrisy.

As for Johnson, he served in May's cabinet. He and many other prominent leavers were an integral part of May's government, which you rightly judge a failure. Johnson was his own failure as Foreign Secretary as we all know, but even though he resigned, he was in post for two years. May's failure is also his. Is he really "far more intelligent" than May? What evidence do you have for that? The artificial airport scheme he had that was in the middle of a bird sanctuary? The bridge across the channel? The one across the Irish Sea? The garden bridge across the Thames that cost the public £40 Million and was never built? Tough line when needed, removing the whip from 21 Tory MPs? Discharging his pistol while it was still in the holster more like! What was he thinking? "I know, I'll goad the opposition into throwing me the lifeline of a general election by accusing them of cowardice!" Johnson is nothing more than a plastic fork at a gun fight.

"Greatest peacetime PM"? Baker forgot to add (or perhaps said under his breath), "for comedy value"
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile Devils_Advocate

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4256 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:14 am

Jakubclaret wrote:So true though, (common sense is) a priceless attribute to possess & all the brexiteers I've encountered have it in spades, sets some of us apart from some of the remain camp.

“Common sense” is just what stupid people claim to have when they have no facts to back up their beliefs. “Common sense” tells us that the sun revolves around a flat Earth. It tells us that a roulette wheel which has come up red 20 times in a row is bound to come up black next time.

Einstein is alleged to have said “Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.”

I would agree that many brexiters appear to have “common sense” in spades.
This user liked this post: Tall Paul

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:18 am

aggi wrote:On a separate note, Im' surprised we haven't seen a larger amount of Northern Ireland bashing up until now.

Daily Telegraph reporting on Brexit is unreal.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:20 am

willsclarets wrote:Daily Telegraph reporting on Brexit is unreal.
Its not "unreal"

Its basically Brexit propaganda

If it wasn't for the excellent analysis by PM Foster, they'd be no better than the Canary or Guido Fawkes.
This user liked this post: willsclarets

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1648 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:41 am

The backstop only exists till the EU agrees that tech solutions are in place to replace it.

Adding those extra words makes all the difference.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:49 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The backstop only exists till the EU agrees that tech solutions are in place to replace it.

Adding those extra words makes all the difference.
See my previous answer to ITWYW

The fact he hasn't answered it speaks volumes CC

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:55 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:All Cummings was doing was firing a shot across the bows.

Classic “good cop bad cop”. It hasn’t done it in isolation, it is part of the diplomatic package. And, of course, we aren’t assuming it is done yet.

This could have been resolved in 2016 if the Tories hadn’t stitched up Johnson out of spite and put May in power. He is (allegedly) a womanising liar, but he is far more intelligent than May and far more able to play the tough line when needed (look at him evicting so many MPs from the whip, whereas she had them rebelling left right and centre).

I said last week that Steve Baker told us that Boris could be our greatest ever peacetime PM. That seems a bit rich, but there is a huge gap between that and what some think of him - he is likely to surpass their low expectations.
I think you're pretty safe without the allegedly in there.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:59 am

I'm happy to say on here that he's a womanising liar.

He hasn't spoken to me about it like, but thats could enough for 100% of normal people*

*not for one poster on here obviously

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 pm

katya adler

@BBCkatyaadler
· 31m
I hate to be the thrower of cold water but when it comes to new UK proposals, whatever they might be, if PM moves towards EU position on customs, he’s likely to lose most/all DUP +ERG support. New deal must be agreed not only by PM + EU but also by majority of MPs /1

katya adler

@BBCkatyaadler
EU diplomats also sceptical Boris Johnson would want to be seen to be ‘conceding’ to EU ahead of elex, with Brexit Party breathing down his neck. EU fear is the PM might enter intensive negotiations, get a concession from EU and then pull out.. /2

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:26 pm

AndrewJB wrote:If a source "close to Barnier" made overt threats to the UK, of dealing directly with Scotland and Wales, for example, and of a trade embargo against British goods, you would be spluttering with outrage. You would not accept that it was "just part of a diplomatic package". Hypocrisy.

As for Johnson, he served in May's cabinet. He and many other prominent leavers were an integral part of May's government, which you rightly judge a failure. Johnson was his own failure as Foreign Secretary as we all know, but even though he resigned, he was in post for two years. May's failure is also his. Is he really "far more intelligent" than May? What evidence do you have for that? The artificial airport scheme he had that was in the middle of a bird sanctuary? The bridge across the channel? The one across the Irish Sea? The garden bridge across the Thames that cost the public £40 Million and was never built? Tough line when needed, removing the whip from 21 Tory MPs? Discharging his pistol while it was still in the holster more like! What was he thinking? "I know, I'll goad the opposition into throwing me the lifeline of a general election by accusing them of cowardice!" Johnson is nothing more than a plastic fork at a gun fight.

"Greatest peacetime PM"? Baker forgot to add (or perhaps said under his breath), "for comedy value"
The trouble with lefties is that they talk sense one minute then lurch into a silly rant that contains no reality - Extinction Rebellion are perfect examples, as is this reply to me.

First of all, Barnier is not part of a sovereign nation, that is a big distinction, but I have already said on here that I don’t agree with the Cummings approach to public threatening.

On Johnson - trying to accuse him of being thick. His French teacher called him a gifted child. He won a scholarship to Eton entirely on merit (despite disruptive family trauma in the preceding years, and yes, he was otherwise privileged). He is clearly a very clever guy but one who doesn’t conform to many of societies norms and which some folk cannot see past. Even if he goes ahead with his plans to leave the EU in an orderly manner, pile money into the north and raise the living wage massively, people still won’t accept it.

He also has that rare face to face ability to make (almost all) others feel special, as Bill Clinton did, and if he manages to keep putting the UKs interests first, rather than making selfish decisions that backfire (a risk I confess), he could do very well.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Breaking news... We are entering the tunnel.

https://twitter.com/DanielBoffey/status ... 3420244992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:28 pm

EU27 now approve Barnier to commence “tunnel” negotiations.

That means a deal is close.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:34 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:EU27 now approve Barnier to commence “tunnel” negotiations.

The big sticking point is the ERG & DUP to get it through, as always.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:39 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:EU27 now approve Barnier to commence “tunnel” negotiations.

It means its not dead and a deal is possible

Lets be honest here, if the UK have compromised on something to do with NI, the sliding scale of DUP support has to be counter balanced by Lab support.

Once the deal is announced (if it is), then it will get scrutinised and (like Mays deal) there will be stuff in there that will be deeply unpopular to the various factors.

Thats the balancing act he's got to somehow get through.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Spijed wrote:The big sticking point is the ERG & DUP to get it through, as always.
A lot of the ERG are in Government now, there will be 1 or 2 Spartans, at least 18 Labour MP's wrote to Barnier wanting a deal.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2011 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Cuts both ways that though

Richmond the only major industrial town in the south, with the biggest armaments works.

They could no more fight without that than they could without the food.

Doomed from the start unless they could win a decisive battle and capture Washington and so convince the world that they could survive.
Big thing was the salt Petre mines around Virginia, many of which continued to be mined throughout the war literally under the fleet of the Federal troops at times.

There was quite a Peace Platform building up to Sharpsburg. Had Antietam not been a pirot victory, for the North Little Mac would have stood for election on the peace ticket, with the avowed intention of ending the conflict by recognising the Confederacy... and he was favourite to win for quite a time. So again , it got a lot closer than a lo might, at first flush, to independence.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Spijed wrote:katya adler

@BBCkatyaadler
· 31m
I hate to be the thrower of cold water but when it comes to new UK proposals, whatever they might be, if PM moves towards EU position on customs, he’s likely to lose most/all DUP +ERG support. New deal must be agreed not only by PM + EU but also by majority of MPs /1

katya adler

@BBCkatyaadler
EU diplomats also sceptical Boris Johnson would want to be seen to be ‘conceding’ to EU ahead of elex, with Brexit Party breathing down his neck. EU fear is the PM might enter intensive negotiations, get a concession from EU and then pull out.. /2
In some ways the ERG + DUP can be made irrelevant. Even with their support the Tories don't have the numbers to get a deal through, they're going to need some others on board and given how fine the margins are the more likely route could be to get labour on board.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Big thing was the salt Petre mines around Virginia, many of which continued to be mined throughout the war literally under the fleet of the Federal troops at times.

There was quite a Peace Platform building up to Sharpsburg. Had Antietam not been a pirot victory, for the North Little Mac would have stood for election on the peace ticket, with the avowed intention of ending the conflict by recognising the Confederacy... and he was favourite to win for quite a time. So again , it got a lot closer than a lo might, at first flush, to independence.

Yeah, but Sharpsburg should have been a complete Union victory.

Only McClellan's complete failure to move decisively when he had the chance saved the Confederacy

To me, only thing that saves the Confederacy is a capture of Washington, and they never even got close to that.

AlargeClaret
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:48 pm

AndyClaret wrote:A lot of the ERG are in Government now, there will be 1 or 2 Spartans, at least 18 Labour MP's wrote to Barnier wanting a deal.
I think Boris is hoping he’ll get enough cross party support to ignore the DUP ( if he absolutely must) . With an election very soon I think much of the ERG may play softball simply as a means of very likely securing their seats in what could be a big Tory victory with surely Farage’s lot melting away?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:50 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I think Boris is hoping he’ll get enough cross party support to ignore the DUP ( if he absolutely must) . With an election very soon I think much of the ERG may play softball simply as a means of very likely securing their seats in what could be a big Tory victory with surely Farage’s lot melting away?
Remember though, many people in places like Burnley or Sunderland said they would vote for the Brexit party because they wanted to leave. They are unlikely to vote for the Conservatives if there is no other alternative to Labour.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 pm

CombatClaret wrote:I want to confirm the 98.6% of polls this year that indicate Britain is now a majority remain country.

The only poll that matters is the one from 2016.

That you lost.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Must be fake news. We’ve been told that the ‘surrender bill’ has made a deal impossible.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Spijed wrote:Remember though, many people in places like Burnley or Sunderland said they would vote for the Brexit party because they wanted to leave. They are unlikely to vote for the Conservatives if there is no other alternative to Labour.
The Tories will never win Burnley.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

AlargeClaret
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Spijed wrote:Remember though, many people in places like Burnley or Sunderland said they would vote for the Brexit party because they wanted to leave. They are unlikely to vote for the Conservatives if there is no other alternative to Labour.
That’s a fair point, but the fact is more Tory potential votes than Labour make up the Brexit party . Though I’d say maybe 5% of the “ 14%” poll support wouldn’t vote for another party anyway. Labours problem will simply be Corbyn, though a rout will surely see him and his ilk purged and a credible opposition in place .

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:56 pm

AndyClaret wrote:The Tories will never win Burnley.
I just can't see it either.

But I also can't believe that until very recently, we had a Lib Dem MP as well so if they pick the right candidate, it might happen

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 pm

They may still vote BP to spite Labour and especially the LD. The former for its fence sitting and the latter for it's ******** to brexit.