Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm

martin_p wrote:Don’t get your hopes up!
For a moment I thought he actually understood what evidence is!! How disappointing.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
If it helps you - my comments are EVIDENCE yours are OPINION.
Nothing misleading

It's there in black and white!!

And now your backtracking on your own words!

But still, you've finally conceded that you only have an opinion like me so that's something I suppose.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 pm

I think we all agree that the case for Brexit is based on no evidence at all at least.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:Yes, you’re getting there!! I have an opinion based on the EVIDENCE!!!

Do I have to write the definition of evidence or are you going to provide one?
Now just so I can sign off a happy man.

Let's look at the 2nd part of your statement 

" I have an OPINION based on the EVIDENCE "

Provide it

Now remember it has to be EVIDENCE. 

Not any of the following-

supposition, presupposition, presumption, premise, belief, expectation, conjecture, speculation, surmise, guess, theory, hypothesis, postulation, deduction, inference, thought, suspicion, assumptions, projections, scenarios given varying criteria, predictions, assumptions and forecasts .

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:It is my belief (opinion) that the sun will rise tomorrow. To support that belief I have EVIDENCE that the sun has risen since the earth was formed and I present that EVIDENCE to support my belief that the sun will rise tomorrow.
You missed the key part of the post .

It's here again

Now just so I can sign off a happy man.

Let's look at the 2nd part of your statement 

" I have an OPINION based on the EVIDENCE "

Provide it

supposition, presupposition, presumption, premise, belief, expectation, conjecture, speculation, surmise, guess, theory, hypothesis, postulation, deduction, inference, thought, suspicion, assumptions, projections, scenarios given varying criteria, predictions, assumptions and forecasts .

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:It is my belief (opinion) that the sun will rise tomorrow. To support that belief I have EVIDENCE that the sun has risen since the earth was formed and I present that EVIDENCE to support my belief that the sun will rise tomorrow.
Now apply it to brexit .

Provide actual evidence that leaving the EU will have a negative impact on the uk. 

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:33 pm

martin_p wrote:Well it's certainly evidence that Brexit wasn't worrying them that much in 2017, a full year and three months before it was due to happen. We'd need 2018's figures (particularly the second half) to assess whether that's still the case. The evidence I gave is what is happening now, not 18 months ago, so it's certainly more relevant.
I didn't ask whether brexit was worrying investors.

I asked you whether it was EVIDENCE that brexit will have a POSITIVE impact on the U.K

Yes or no?

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Nothing misleading

It's there in black and white!!

And now your backtracking on your own words!

But still, you've finally conceded that you only have an opinion like me so that's something I suppose.
It’s right back to page 2 #95. My words, in full, were

Hasn’t the difference already been explained to you?

Evidence - the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

Opinion - a view or judgment formed about something not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

If it helps you - my comments are evidence yours are opinion.

You are just dishonest.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:18 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:I didn't ask whether brexit was worrying investors.

I asked you whether it was EVIDENCE that brexit will have a POSITIVE impact on the U.K

Yes or no?
No it isn't, there's no link to Brexit.

However if your next argument is 'well that's just the same as companies leaving for the EU' well no, that has a direct link to Brexit as the companies are leaving for the EU due to the uncertainties caused by Brexit (and before you argue, yes the uncertainties caused by Brexit are because of Brexit).

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:29 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ate-setter

More evidence that Brexit is damaging the British economy.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:38 pm

martin_p wrote:No it isn't, there's no link to Brexit.

However if your next argument is 'well that's just the same as companies leaving for the EU' well no, that has a direct link to Brexit as the companies are leaving for the EU due to the uncertainties caused by Brexit (and before you argue, yes the uncertainties caused by Brexit are because of Brexit).
Yes that's all good & well, but I'm sure had the remain vote won, we'd have been talking about companies leaving the UK due to uncertainties within the EU 2 years later, the only reason its the other way round is because leave was the majority vote. Whichever way the referendum result had gone, there was positives & negatives, the only reason the focus is on Brexit is because that's what the majority decided. Before the vote there was chaos within EU hence the very reason for putting it to the people, who weren't happy with things previously well 52% anyhow.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:38 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote: Provide actual evidence that leaving the EU will have a negative impact on the uk. 

evidence
noun
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

You really don't understand what evidence is do you...

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Yes that's all good & well, but I'm sure had the remain vote won, we'd have been talking about companies leaving the UK due to uncertainties within the EU 2 years later
And what uncertainties are they in the EU that you think may have made companies leave the UK for elsewhere in the EU?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm

martin_p wrote:And what uncertainties are they in the EU that you think may have made companies leave the UK for elsewhere in the EU?
Well we are talking more than 2 years down the line here, lots of things could have transpired in that time so it's guesswork, pretty much the same as me flipping a coin on the 23rd June 2016 & asking you the same question, let's not pretend everything was fine before the 23rd June 2016 because 52% of the country clearly didn't agree & since then I've seen nothing new to change that view.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Well we are talking more than 2 years down the line here, lots of things could have transpired in that time so it's guesswork, pretty much the same as me flipping a coin on the 23rd June 2016 & asking you the same question, let's not pretend everything was fine before the 23rd June 2016 because 52% of the country clearly didn't agree & since then I've seen nothing new to change that view.
Well no, not guesswork. Lots of companies were warning of the dangers of Brexit before the rreferendum never mind in the last two years. I don't remember many warning about the dangers of staying in the EU.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 pm

martin_p wrote:Well no, not guesswork. Lots of companies were warning of the dangers of Brexit before the referendum never mind in the last two years. I don't remember many warning about the dangers of staying in the EU.

Ultimately what matters is what the majority decided in terms of enacting, are you referring to george Osbornes warnings post result or other pro EU vested agenda warnings, the 52% clearly didn't pay heed it was there choice & something there are probably comfortable with.
People have choices in life that's the way things are.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:13 pm

"if remain had won we'd have been talking about companies leaving the uk because of uncertainties within the eu 2 years later."

"what uncertainties?"

"we're talking about more than 2 years down the line."

"what?"

"leave won and thats all that matters."

do you brexit lot actually read back any of your posts? surely you realise what a shambles they are?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:"if remain had won we'd have been talking about companies leaving the uk because of uncertainties within the eu 2 years later."

"what uncertainties?"

"what?"

do you brexit lot actually read back any of your posts? surely you realise what a shambles they are?
Some people seem to think some of the EU member states are in debt or was, but apart from that everything's tiptop & the 52% clearly agree.

https://www.rt.com/business/417594-euro ... lion-debt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:31 pm

CombatClaret wrote:evidence
noun
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

You really don't understand what evidence is do you...
I think he does. He’s just backed himself into a corner and can’t face losing yet another battle on here.

We are probably a few pages away from him either getting the thread pulled or claiming it was all a ruse to keep the thread at the top of the board.
He’s got form for both.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:47 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Like I said.

Drab.
This is cute. You saw Rowls accusing me of being "dull" a little while back, so you got out the thesaurus you got for Xmas, and found "drab".

Well done Ringo. Have a biscuit.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Some people seem to think some of the EU member states are in debt or was, but apart from that everything's tiptop & the 52% clearly agree.

https://www.rt.com/business/417594-euro ... lion-debt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost every state is in debt of some description. It's not really a huge problem.

And I'd avoid Russia Today if you're trying to find unbiased info on Brexit - the clue is in the name.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:"if remain had won we'd have been talking about companies leaving the uk because of uncertainties within the eu 2 years later."

"what uncertainties?"

"what?"

It's almost as if they're unwilling or unable to construct any kind of logically consistent argument.
Last edited by Tall Paul on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Greenmile wrote:This is cute. You saw Rowls accusing me of being "dull" a little while back, so you got out the thesaurus you got for Xmas, and found "drab".

He’s done alright reading all the way through to the ‘d’s since Xmas. He clearing hasn’t got through the ‘e’s yet though.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Greenmile wrote:Almost every state is in debt of some description. It's not really a huge problem.

And I'd avoid Russia Today if you're trying to find unbiased info on Brexit - the clue is in the name.
You don’t think debt isn’t a huge problem OMG, all debt is a problem, At some point if debt is allowed to spiral out of control it has the potential to make a economy cataclysmically implode, I’m absolutely astounded at such a blasé attitude.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:28 pm

All countries are in debt. We are in debt, despite shafting the country for seven years with austerity for example.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:All countries are in debt. We are in debt, despite shafting the country for seven years with austerity for example.
So that make things ok? Acceptable.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:You don’t think debt isn’t a huge problem OMG, all debt is a problem, At some point if debt is allowed to spiral out of control it has the potential to make a economy cataclysmically implode, I’m absolutely astounded at such a blasé attitude.
Blasé ?

Nothing to do with that - it’s called having a bit of understanding and intellect.

How much do you think the US debt currently stands at ?
This will be the same US economy that drives every other stock market in the world.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:34 pm

TVC15 wrote:Blasé ?

Nothing to do with that - it’s called having a bit of understanding and intellect.

How much do you think the US debt currently stands at ?
This will be the same US economy that drives every other stock market in the world.
That’s a complete cavalier attitude, no wonder the countries in a mess, how about some responsibility, you know this big buzz word you was preaching about the other day, remember?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:That’s a complete cavalier attitude, no wonder the countries in a mess, how about some responsibility, you know this big buzz word you was preaching about the other day, remember?
Do you think Brexit will increase or reduce the UK's national debt? Please explain your answer.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Greenmile wrote:Do you think Brexit will increase or reduce the UK's national debt? Please explain your answer.

I read yesterday that it's already costing us £800m/week :lol:

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:That’s a complete cavalier attitude, no wonder the countries in a mess, how about some responsibility, you know this big buzz word you was preaching about the other day, remember?
WTF are you talking about ? Still making stuff up I see.

You have zero idea about world economics - infact i’m being kind - it’s less than zero.
If ignorance really is bliss then you must be the happiest man in the world.

The US debt is currently a record high of 22 trillion - how does that impact on the man in the street you think ? Do you think it impacts their daily lives ? The debt has increased under Trump yet they seem pretty happy with how their economy is performing.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Greenmile wrote:Do you think Brexit will increase or reduce the UK's national debt? Please explain your answer.
Even if I do answer there’s zero chance of you remembering it or not repeating the question, nevermind agreeing with the answer, I can’t believe the other comment, I’m in shock, night.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Loving this new tactic to avoid answering difficult questions.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Even if I do answer there’s zero chance of you remembering it or not repeating the question, nevermind agreeing with the answer, I can’t believe the other comment, I’m in shock, night.
You don’t know, do you?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Brexiteer answering a question

What’s the capital of France?

Brexiteer - it’s six of course

Brexiteer - I’ve already answered that question!
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile CombatClaret

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Loving this new tactic to avoid answering difficult questions.

It's not new. The Brexiteers have been using it for years.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 pm

martin_p wrote:Brexiteer answering a question

Brexiteer - it’s six of course

Brexiteer - I’ve already answered that question!
To be entirely fair, I don’t think Jakub and Ringo are representative of all brexiters, but there do seem to be more of that type on that side than on the remain side.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:Yes, you’re getting there!! I have an OPINION based on the EVIDENCE!!!

Do I have to write the definition of evidence or are you going to provide one?
This is you conceding you only have an opinion on what you claim is evidence.

It could prove you believe what may turn out to be short term or reversible business decisions not EVIDENCE that brexit will have a negative impact on the uk.

So now it's over to you to provide EVIDENCE

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:58 pm

martin_p wrote:No it isn't, there's no link to Brexit.

How do you know that the record levels of foreign investment into the uk, are not because of the opportunities that the investors see in Brexit?

How do you know they aren't because we're leaving the EU?

However, If I were to point to record levels of foreign investment into the uk as EVIDENCE that brexit will have a POSITIVE impact on the uk.

You'd be quite right in saying, just as I'm saying to you,

"Ringo, they may just turn out to be short term or reversible business decisions. They are not EVIDENCE of a positive of Brexit on the uk. It's just your OPINION that they are. Until we actually leave the European Union you cannot provide EVIDENCE as to whether brexit will have a negative or positive impact on the uk, until we've actually left"

And for once Marty, you'd be right!
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:This is you conceding you only have an opinion on what you claim is evidence.

It could prove you believe what may turn out to be short term or reversible business decisions not EVIDENCE that brexit will have a negative impact on the uk.

So now it's over to you to provide EVIDENCE

Ringo, have you EVER expressed an evidence-based opinion on Brexit? On anything?

If you have can you link it?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Greenmile wrote:This is cute. You saw Rowls accusing me of being "dull" a little while back, so you got out the thesaurus you got for Xmas, and found "drab".

How many different people have described your posts as drab or dull? 

What do you think that tells us what an uninspiring and beige poster somebody is?!

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:This is you conceding you only have an opinion on what you claim is evidence.
How many times does it need repeating- evidence supports opinion, that’s how you form an opinion, based on the evidence. I can’t be added to repeat the Sun rising analogy, but one last time - why do you believe the sun will rise tomorrow? All the available evidence supports that opinion. It’s as simple as that.

Your opinion on Brexit is formed by the evidence you choose to believe, People who don’t have the same opinion challenge the validity of that evidence in the same way you challenge the validity of their evidence.

Evidence only has a meaning when it’s used to support a belief.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Have a great, 3 points for the clarets, and evidence -free weekend ladies.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:07 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Have a great, 3 points for the clarets, and evidence -free weekend ladies.
You can't even get that right, we don't have a game this weekend.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
If it helps you - my comments are EVIDENCE yours are OPINION.
You've all weekend to provide it.

Toodle pip

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:How many different people have described your posts as drab or dull? 

What do you think that tells us what an uninspiring and beige poster somebody is?!
Far fewer than the number of people who have told you you don’t know what evidence means.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You can't even get that right, we don't have a game this weekend.

Is there a more fitting description of Ringo than "evidence -free"?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You can't even get that right, we don't have a game this weekend.
If Wrongo believes we have a game we can get three points from this weekend that’s his opinion and there’s no evidence to prove him wrong until Monday morning!
These 5 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle Bordeauxclaret Burnley Ace Greenmile longsidepies

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm

martin_p wrote:If Wrongo believes we have a game we can get three points from this weekend that’s his opinion and there’s no evidence to prove him wrong until Monday morning!
And then on Monday it'll be our fault we didn't get 3 points.
This user liked this post: martin_p

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm

I hold my hand up! I was looking forward to spurs. And I'd knocked back the chance to take my lad to that indoor ski thing near Trafford centre. He'll be well chuffed. Happy days!