Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1649 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 am

CombatClaret wrote:Tariff free, friction less trade to 33 out of the 39 advanced economies in the world. Those probably include a few ones you think of as "poor countries"
eg: Greece, Lithuania, Slovenia, Slovakia etc.

But yes glad we're taking back control of our money, well the 0.3% of GDP which goes to Europe. We get control of that back.

"We can do deals with Africa" we were told! Africa, that vast continent who's entire GDP of all countries combined amounts to half the GPD of France!
Those things we can get with a Free Trade Agreement.

What I was on about is the “layer” inside that, the pros and cons of full membership as the EU expands. We pay extra money to poorer nations (on top of trading with them) and in return we get cheap labour. I’m arguing that those two things do not benefit the poor and middle people in the UK but do benefit the rich.

That’s why I made the point in reference to an economic modelling post by saying the models are deceptive because they do not show the impact on people in this way.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4256 times

Post by Greenmile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:50 am

AndyClaret wrote:I see your mate O'Brien is being eviscerated on Twitter by Peter Hitchens, this is what happens when you tell lies and play with the big boys.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/ ... 5464560640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By implying that, because they’re not specifically prohibited by the GFA, there’s nothing wrong with customs checks on the Irish border, even though they would lead to the return of the Troubles?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:53 am

Andy, check out the video I put on this thread.

It will infinitely improve your knowledge of the Irish border, as I'm getting the impression its currently zero.

Seriously though, its a good watch, if only for the DUP supporting ex-UDR veteran. It will reinforce the dangers that are all too possible there.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:54 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Those things we can get with a Free Trade Agreement.
Sounds nice and simple. When will that happen then?
CrosspoolClarets wrote:What I was on about is the “layer” inside that, the pros and cons of full membership as the EU expands. We pay extra money to poorer nations (on top of trading with them) and in return we get cheap labour. I’m arguing that those two things do not benefit the poor and middle people in the UK but do benefit the rich.

That’s why I made the point in reference to an economic modelling post by saying the models are deceptive because they do not show the impact on people in this way.
We also get a more developed market to sell to, and as I’ve repeatedly tried to explain to Jakub, any labour in this country, indigenous or foreign, is only as cheap as our govt chooses to make it.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:55 am

I'm handing you the baton here Greenmile, off to play football with the kids!

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:55 am

AndyClaret wrote:And for a second time, who is going to put up a hard border ? it's not a trick question my friend.
You are absolutely right. There won’t be a hard border.

The only mistake in the article is that the paper assumes May is trying to save £39bn. Actually I think she is trying to get her deal passed, nothing more.

First of all, the article which some (well, one) conveniently say means there will be a hard border actually says it will be a hard border or leaving the Single Market. A nation’s first duty is the safety and security of it’s citizens. Let’s not assume they will choose the hard border.

Secondly, a border would take weeks or months to erect. There won’t be one on April 1st. The only fools on that day are those trying to tie our negotiators hands. We will get a deal agreed by the first week in April even if we leave with no deal. The backstop will be reworded. Or, our MPs will vote to extend A50 (a huge mistake). So no, there won’t be a hard border.
Last edited by CrosspoolClarets on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am

Greenmile wrote:He did answer. Twice.

Reality and international law will mean a border is mandatory under a no deal scenario. As to who exactly will put it up, the answer is “some builders” probably. If your question is who will employ those builders, the answer is the uk govt. if your next question is why would the uk govt do that, the answer is reality and international law.
The UK gov has said we are not putting up a border, so again who is going to pay for putting a hard border in ?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 am

AndyClaret wrote:The UK gov has said we are not putting up a border, so again who is going to pay for putting a hard border in ?
You might believe everything the uk govt tells you. I don’t.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:07 am

AndyClaret wrote:So you can't answer, that's fine, just say so.
Like you, I've no idea who'd be building it, but like everything else brexit related , I'm damn sure I know who'd end up paying for it.
Our "independence" and "sovereignty" comes at a massive financial cost.
However it's all hypothetical as MPs and the Tory party n particular, will not permit a "no deal" exit for which they would very quickly be held to account at the next election.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2898 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:13 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote: A nation’s first duty is the safety and security of it’s citizens
We will get a deal agreed by the first week in April even if we leave with no deal. The backstop will be reworded.
It’s OT but who has written the list prioritising a nations futy?

If we are going to get a (trade?) deal by the first week in April then there is no need for a backstop as that only comes into effect if we get no deal?

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:20 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Like you, I've no idea who'd be building it, but like everything else brexit related , I'm damn sure I know who'd end up paying for it.
However it's all hypothetical as MPs and the Tory party n particular, will not permit a "no deal" exit for which they would very quickly be held to account at the next election.
Agree with this. Don't for a moment think "no deal" will be allowed to happen. Felt for a while Article 50 will be extended to allow more time for a resolution. Always going to be twists and turns - it's what happens in negotiation especially something so complex. That's also why no deal needs to be kept on the table even though it seems very unlikely to me it will happen. And given all the uncertainty and lack of resolution it's amusing how some people claim to be absolutely right and others absolutely wrong. What's even more amusing is what appears based on a quick skim read a high amount of posts over several days arguing about what evidence is or isn't.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Like you, I've no idea who'd be building it, but like everything else brexit related , I'm damn sure I know who'd end up paying for it.
It's a fairly fundamental question, The EU have told Ireland either you put up a hard border or we will kick you out of the single market.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 am

martin_p wrote:Looking at the treasury report the 3.6% is the maximum variance from the baseline during the two year period, whereas the 2% recently reported is the position as of now, so I’m not quite right in directly comparing the figures. Looking at some analysis where the treasury report didn’t quite get it right is that they thought the initial post referendum fall would be big (the 3.6%) but then recover slightly in the second year. The actuality has been a steadier fall, however the end result isn’t to far off being on forecast.

I posted this link earlier in the thread that gives the detail on the accuracy of the post leave vote GDP forecast from the treasury.

https://fullfact.org/economy/how-accura ... eferendum/
Thanks, martin. That's good info. So, no big fall in growth in the year after Jun-2016 and then bigger fall in the following year - and 4.4% forecast v 4.9% actual over the period. I think it's reasonable to think that the nature of the Brexit debate, particularly into the second year will have slowed things down in the UK - more uncertainty, less investment, less spending, more saving, more caution - we should all expect that. I wonder if the models can isolate the impact of Trump-China trade wars for the second year - which is also slowing down the economies in the EU?

If I was running any of these models I wouldn't be sitting on my laurels and saying that we were mostly getting it right and forecasting reasonably accurately. I'd be saying let's keep working on our understanding of the economy and aiming for continuous improvement.

Meanwhile, I'd also step up efforts to get the media to understand and report what our models are and aren't telling us.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:05 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Mate, this isn't a debate with an easy answer.

I would have thought you'd have worked that out by now.

And no, I've no idea who will build it, or even what it will look like. All I know is that there will be a border that is different to the one that is there now (ie you only know because the signs change!) and that is something that is an added complication is an already very complicated issue.
Hi Lancs, if I can be so bold, the message in the Irish Independent isn't your message, it's not about "your brexit." It's the Republic of Ireland commenting on how Ireland is being treated by Brussels. It's not "your reality" - it's a different reality - and, I believe is one that you are "afread to face."

You post something a little above about you, and some others, being "always right." I'm sorry, Lancs, that just isn't so. And, the reason it isn't so is because you aren't thinking of the world outside the UK. It just isn't the only thing that matters is the UK and that "the UK is doing all this to itself" etc. etc. etc.

We have got to think about the world "beyond Dover" - and the Swiss border - and we've got to think beyond the "us and them, remain v leave" divisions that you appear to suggest is the only discussion.

Come on, Lancs, do yourself a favour and think about the world beyond the UK - and beyond a perception of the EU that doesn't exist. Take a look at the rest of the EU from someone elses perspective - and take a look at the rest of the world at the same time. That's where you will find the realities.

I don't know Crosspool, Andy and others - and, I'm sure I can also find areas to debate with them. If I was an outsider coming to this board for the first time - I'd be thinking this brexit thing is a good idea because there are more reasonable posts on the leave side than there are reasonable posts on the remain side. (Of course, I'm discounting the guys who choose to argue about the meaning of "evidence").

Open your mind, just a little and have a great day - and, enjoy the football with your youngsters.
These 6 users liked this post: Jakubclaret summitclaret bfcmartin AndyClaret CrosspoolClarets RingoMcCartney

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:20 am

Trade deal in the 1st week of April?

That's pie in the sky thinking.

That will take years.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:27 am

Greenmile wrote:Sounds nice and simple. When will that happen then?

We also get a more developed market to sell to, and as I’ve repeatedly tried to explain to Jakub, any labour in this country, indigenous or foreign, is only as cheap as our govt chooses to make it.
Businesses dictate to the government, there isn't the appetite to increase the minimum wage due to immigration being freely available, you have explained this to me & I keep repeating this back, you have remembered this this time, so well done that much is true, a impasse still remains as I don't agree with our government or any government having much of a say on choosing to make this happen, whilst under the heavy influences businesses dictate to the government to keep costs manageable especially labour usually labour the biggest overhead a large business would usually expect.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:30 am

AndyClaret wrote:And for a second time, who is going to put up a hard border ? it's not a trick question my friend.
Seabourne fencing?
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:31 am

Maybe we can pay a company to build an imaginary wall. Perhaps that company with the imaginary ferries. I hear walls solve everything.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:40 am

Jakubclaret wrote:Businesses dictate to the government, there isn't the appetite to increase the minimum wage due to immigration being freely available, you have explained this to me & I keep repeating this back, you have remembered this this time, so well done that much is true, a impasse still remains as I don't agree with our government or any government having much of a say on choosing to make this happen, whilst under the heavy influences businesses dictate to the government to keep costs manageable especially labour usually labour the biggest overhead a large business would usually expect.
But you've yet to explain why buisnesses won't dictate our immigration policy to the govt post-Brexit (despite being asked numerous times), so your argument doesn't stand up at present.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:44 am

Paul Waine wrote:...If I was an outsider coming to this board for the first time - I'd be thinking this brexit thing is a good idea because there are more reasonable posts on the leave side than there are reasonable posts on the remain side...
Come on Paul. You know this isn't true.There are a few fairly reasonable voices (like yourself) on the leave side, but they are presently being drowned out by the likes of Ringo and Jakub, who clearly don't know what they're talking about.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:54 am

Greenmile wrote:But you've yet to explain why buisnesses won't dictate our immigration policy to the govt post-Brexit (despite being asked numerous times), so your argument doesn't stand up at present.
I’ve already said immigration will still happen & immigration will come on that basis, implying they still will, this is pretty much word for word what I’ve already said, I think overall immigration will be lowered due to leaving the EU, I’m not being arsey or trying to deflect or avoiding difficult questions, if anything I find the questions very easy, the difficult bit is having to repeat the same answers to the same questions over & over, & then having to explain really simple things as if I’m a carer in a retirement home or a teacher in a kindergarten.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:I’ve already said immigration will still happen & immigration will come on that basis, implying they still will, this is pretty much word for word what I’ve already said, I think overall immigration will be lowered due to leaving the EU, I’m not being arsey or trying to deflect or avoiding difficult questions, if anything I find the questions very easy, the difficult bit is having to repeat the same answers to the same questions over & over, & then having to explain really simple things as if I’m a carer in a retirement home or a teacher in a kindergarten.
So business will continue to dictate our immigration policy after Brexit (and will presumably still have the same appetite for low cost imported labour) but immigration will still fall? How will that work then?

The closest you’ve come to answering this previously relied on you taking a joke from Aggi seriously, and saying immigration will fall as businesses will leave the uk, so demand for labour will reduce, but how does this help our indigenous low-skilled workers?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Greenmile wrote:So business will continue to dictate our immigration policy after Brexit (and will presumably still have the same appetite for low cost imported labour) but immigration will still fall? How will that work then?

The closest you’ve come to answering this previously relied on you taking a joke from Aggi seriously, and saying immigration will fall as businesses will leave the uk, so demand for labour will reduce, but how does this help our indigenous low-skilled workers?
I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse, immigration will be compromised satisfied halfway to level it was previously I think, due to fall already post referendum if the figures are correct & as aggi said some businesses will be moving abroad to facilitate the cheap labour (disputed by aggi to a obvious inference) Regarding jokes I think I do ok for having a sense of humour after all “debt isn’t a huge problem” what! Really? I’m not answering the 2nd part as I’ve answered this before same with the 1st part but offered more explanation. It’s coming to the stage now really when I can accept somebody agreeing or disagreeing, but I can’t continue answering the same questions, you disagree not a problem, asking me again & again the answers will remain the same, let’s agree or disagree & then move on.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse, immigration will be compromised satisfied halfway to level it was previously I think, due to fall already post referendum if the figures are correct & as aggi said some businesses will be moving abroad to facilitate the cheap labour (disputed by aggi to a obvious inference) Regarding jokes I think I do ok for having a sense of humour after all “debt isn’t a huge problem” what! Really? I’m not answering the 2nd part as I’ve answered this before same with the 1st part but offered more explanation. It’s coming to the stage now really when I can accept somebody agreeing or disagreeing, but I can’t continue answering the same questions, you disagree not a problem, asking me again & again the answers will remain the same, let’s agree or disagree & then move on.
I’m happy to give up trying to get an answer out of you,but I won’t let the lie that you’ve already answered go unchallenged.

You’re making statements like “immigration will be compromised satisfied halfway to level it was previously I think, due to fall already post referendum if the figures are correct” which, besides not really being comprehensible English, are entirely contradicted by your other statement that “businesses dictate policy to the govt” (presuming you mean what I think you mean - it’s a little difficult to tell).

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Your answers don't make sense though Jakub

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Your answers don't make sense though Jakub
There do to me as there are my answers, just disagree & then move on, I’m as keen as the next man in having a adult debate about politics or anything else, but this isn’t the way to go about it, I’m signing off now.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi Lancs, if I can be so bold, the message in the Irish Independent isn't your message, it's not about "your brexit." It's the Republic of Ireland commenting on how Ireland is being treated by Brussels. It's not "your reality" - it's a different reality - and, I believe is one that you are "afread to face."

You post something a little above about you, and some others, being "always right." I'm sorry, Lancs, that just isn't so. And, the reason it isn't so is because you aren't thinking of the world outside the UK. It just isn't the only thing that matters is the UK and that "the UK is doing all this to itself" etc. etc. etc.

We have got to think about the world "beyond Dover" - and the Swiss border - and we've got to think beyond the "us and them, remain v leave" divisions that you appear to suggest is the only discussion.

Come on, Lancs, do yourself a favour and think about the world beyond the UK - and beyond a perception of the EU that doesn't exist. Take a look at the rest of the EU from someone elses perspective - and take a look at the rest of the world at the same time. That's where you will find the realities.

I don't know Crosspool, Andy and others - and, I'm sure I can also find areas to debate with them. If I was an outsider coming to this board for the first time - I'd be thinking this brexit thing is a good idea because there are more reasonable posts on the leave side than there are reasonable posts on the remain side. (Of course, I'm discounting the guys who choose to argue about the meaning of "evidence").
Thats a big post telling me to believe in the UK more Paul, with the greatest respect.

Now, which markets can we access that we don't already access in the world? I mean, there isn't a single country that we don't trade with already. Its a massive failure on our part that we don't utilise the networks we already have. To pretend we can get better ones is mis information on an epic scale.

I do look at it from an EU point of view. But only to counter balance those who keep repeating the lies and misinformation of the past two years. I want us to get a good deal out of this, I'm also well aware that it won't be as good as the one we have now.

If you'd like to give me someone within the EU who looks at us differently from what we read, then feel free. All I know is that a 27 nation bloc is more united at the moment on this than we are.

And again, I can make Brexit sound ace by lying and making things up. That is what Crosspool, Jakub, Andy, Ringo are doing. its not hard.

What is hard is to try to explain reality, UK trade, WTO etc etc to an audience who don't want to understand anything that might be a problem.

I like your posts mate, but "do yourself a favour and think about the world beyond the UK" is patronising to the nth degree. Its what I look at when I'm commenting on stuff like this.

This will be bad whatever we do, but it will be a lot worse if we ignore the reality.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Thats a big post telling me to believe in the UK more Paul, with the greatest respect.

Now, which markets can we access that we don't already access in the world? I mean, there isn't a single country that we don't trade with already. Its a massive failure on our part that we don't utilise the networks we already have. To pretend we can get better ones is mis information on an epic scale.

I do look at it from an EU point of view. But only to counter balance those who keep repeating the lies and misinformation of the past two years. I want us to get a good deal out of this, I'm also well aware that it won't be as good as the one we have now.

If you'd like to give me someone within the EU who looks at us differently from what we read, then feel free. All I know is that a 27 nation bloc is more united at the moment on this than we are.

And again, I can make Brexit sound ace by lying and making things up. That is what Crosspool, Jakub, Andy, Ringo are doing. its not hard.

What is hard is to try to explain reality, UK trade, WTO etc etc to an audience who don't want to understand anything that might be a problem.

I like your posts mate, but "do yourself a favour and think about the world beyond the UK" is patronising to the nth degree. Its what I look at when I'm commenting on stuff like this.

This will be bad whatever we do, but it will be a lot worse if we ignore the reality.

"with the greatest respect" which means none at all. "lying and making things up" which means destroying your narrative.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Thats a big post telling me to believe in the UK more Paul, with the greatest respect.

Hi Lancs, sorry, no, you've not understood what I said. I'm suggesting that we can all learn more by putting aside any "UK perspective" and, in it's place look at what is going on in the world away from the UK. (Try and forget we were born in the UK, are UK citizens and are living in the UK, if that clarifies my meaning). So, the Irish Inependent editorial is about Ireland and Brussels, try and think of it in those terms only. Similarly, because we were discussing, New Zealand think about what NZ has achieved over the past several years. Similarly, think about what has happened in India since the early 1990s and China from a similar period. And, we can learn stuff by putting ourselves in the place of lots of other countries in the world. Simply put "it's not all about the UK" and equally, "it's not all about the UK and the EU."

When you've tried all that, then try and put aside your current views about brexit and try and put aside your current views about the EU. It's intersting that you chose to state "All I know is that a 27 nation bloc is more united at the moment on this than we are." I'm far from claiming that the UK is united, far from it. As you've said many times, the divisions in this country are a big contributor to why we are where we are more than 30 months after the referendum. But, I think you are only thinking of the EU in terms of how the EU is responding to brexit. What about all the other stuff that is going on in the EU? Are the EU27 united on all those things or are there many, many, splits and divisions?

I saw a report during the week where George Soros is quoted as warning that the EU is heading for collapse just like the Soviet Union. "Europe please wake up" - Soros, http://www.project-syndicate.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Most of us assume that the future will more or less resemble the present, but this is not necessarily so. In a long and eventful life, I have witnessed many periods of what I call radical disequilibrium. We are living in such a period today."

I'm not saying I share Soros's view point - but he may be speaking of another "reality" - and he's lived longer and seen more of life than I have.

Are you with me now?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Andy, you lie and you make things up.

That is what you do. Up to you to educate yourself. I'm kinda getting sick of explaining that if you continue to lie and make things up, then I'll continue to point that out.

What have you contributed to this on Ireland for example?

- an article that proves Project Fear is Project Reality when it comes to the border, and an inability/unwillingness to understand that its impossible to tell right now what that border will be.

Up to you mate

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Not really.

No one is denying that the Asian economies will grow more than the EU will.

No one is denying that the world could change massively in ten years, in fact its probably almost a certainty with instability at the moment.

That is all a given really.

Now if that instability happens, i'd rather be part of a larger economic block (or at the very least, on much better terms with it than we are at the moment!)

All this messing around will damage the UK around the world, and if you think the world isn't going to take advantage of our haplessness, then you need to look at the world outside the UK.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Andy, you lie and you make things up.

That is what you do. Up to you to educate yourself. I'm kinda getting sick of explaining that if you continue to lie and make things up, then I'll continue to point that out.

What have you contributed to this on Ireland for example?

- an article that proves Project Fear is Project Reality when it comes to the border, and an inability/unwillingness to understand that its impossible to tell right now what that border will be.

Up to you mate
See you've just done it again "lie and make things up" examples please.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 pm

The ways things are heading in Ireland is that will be no border or wall, there's growing popularity & momentum developing on a referendum for unification despite the vast chasms historically, more & more people are becoming to like the idea you could call it luke warm the current feeling, then that thorny issue wouldn't be apparent & any separate arrangements with the EU would be none of our concern.

https://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/ot ... on-the-way" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:04 pm

On this page already andy.

If you want, I can just call them mis information and an approximation of factual events that haven't actually happened.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:On this page already andy.

If you want, I can just call them mis information and an approximation of factual events that haven't actually happened.
so that's a no then.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:54 pm

So much intolerance going on in this thread. I hope Tiao is feeling ok.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:It’s OT but who has written the list prioritising a nations futy?

If we are going to get a (trade?) deal by the first week in April then there is no need for a backstop as that only comes into effect if we get no deal?
Evening. The trade deal will take 2 years. What I mean is the transition deal, a.k.a. The Withdrawal Agreement. That is what May is trying to get agreed currently. That will happen imminently even if it is April - but the more we hold our nerve the better the final wording will be, as the Irish newspaper opinions are suggesting.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:23 pm

With reference to Paul’s above deluge of common sense I would say that in the last year or two there has been a lot of rational argument on the Remain side, whereas the Leave side has been rational but quite idealistic given we are having to make some big assumptions about the future (which may be correct, that’s why we voted Leave).

Currently however, as Lancs epitomises on here but it is relevant nationally, the Remain argument is turning into name calling and hysterics. Look at Parliament this week - Tory Remainers calling for Tory Leavers to be chucked out of the party because they are re not true Tories - despite the fact that Remainers like Soubry have voted against the government far more times.

It’s time to grow back up and start debating rationally again. That cracks are starting to show in the EU united front is a fact as the aricle showd - it doesn’t make the Remain argument wrong, but let’s accept it as a fact and debate the consequences.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6385 times
Has Liked: 8730 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Now FlyBMI gone bust.....because they have been shut out of European routes and as UK does not get the benefit of Euro carbon trade.

LeuvenClaret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by LeuvenClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:25 pm

IanMcL wrote:Now FlyBMI gone bust.....because they have been shut out of European routes and as UK does not get the benefit of Euro carbon trade.
What a shame, I do feel for all the people who worked there that have now lost their jobs, the people who have planned holidays who now can't go and the business people who have had all their trips cancelled. What a load of **** to deal with. Shame about the reason as this was all avoidable.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6385 times
Has Liked: 8730 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Yes. Just the start of the crippling of the UK.
Brexit voting places will be hit the worst. Irony.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:31 pm

IanMcL wrote:Now FlyBMI gone bust.....because they have been shut out of European routes and as UK does not get the benefit of Euro carbon trade.
:lol:

All going swimmingly

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Name calling?

Hysterics?

Fact based arguments beat pie in the sky ideas and unicorn theory every day of the week.

You should try it sometimes Crosspool. You might learn something.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Name calling?

Hysterics?

Fact based arguments beat pie in the sky ideas and unicorn theory every day of the week.

You should try it sometimes Crosspool. You might learn something.
Why are you being so intolerant? Stop disagreeing.

ColonelCool
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by ColonelCool » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:00 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Why are you being so intolerant? Stop disagreeing.
Imploding Turtle wrote:So much intolerance going on in this thread. I hope Tiao is feeling ok.
Put the alcohol down and have an early night.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:09 pm

Lancaster? ah yes I have very fond memories of that place I bid on eBay for a very nice big old solid corner desk that was up for sale because the Company had gone belly up.

I bid the minimum of 99p and forget about it but to my great surprise I received an email informing me that I had won it.

Drove up and it was at a small outfit on a trading estate in Lancaster, one man only just clearing things up at a desk he said well here it is and I duly dismantled it and just about fitted it into the back of the Astra salon.

He said I was also welcomed to take a couple of office chairs as well but didn’t think one would fit in the passenger foot well so then drove home and put the desk up.

Still got it today and still have to pinch myself sometimes when I’m sitting behind it.

The motto of this story is it’s always were making a cheeky low bid because you don’t always know the circumstances of the sale.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:43 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Evening. The trade deal will take 2 years. What I mean is the transition deal, a.k.a. The Withdrawal Agreement. That is what May is trying to get agreed currently. That will happen imminently even if it is April - but the more we hold our nerve the better the final wording will be, as the Irish newspaper opinions are suggesting.
No, if we leave with no deal on 29th March then that’s it we’ve left. We then can’t pretend we haven’t left and come up with a transition deal because there’ll no longer be anything to transition from!

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Those big trade deals are going to roll in with this shower in charge!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:28 pm

martin_p wrote:Those big trade deals are going to roll in with this shower in charge!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
So you want the UK to keep quiet about China's behaviour to safeguard trade. Because the exact opposite argument is made about Saudi Arabia and their misbehaviour is mostly internal and a not a threat to UK interests. Which is it?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:You are absolutely right. There won’t be a hard border.

The only mistake in the article is that the paper assumes May is trying to save £39bn. Actually I think she is trying to get her deal passed, nothing more.

First of all, the article which some (well, one) conveniently say means there will be a hard border actually says it will be a hard border or leaving the Single Market. A nation’s first duty is the safety and security of it’s citizens. Let’s not assume they will choose the hard border.

Secondly, a border would take weeks or months to erect. There won’t be one on April 1st. The only fools on that day are those trying to tie our negotiators hands. We will get a deal agreed by the first week in April even if we leave with no deal. The backstop will be reworded. Or, our MPs will vote to extend A50 (a huge mistake). So no, there won’t be a hard border.
Provisions & future amendments, adjustments post leaving date will still be ongoing for this simple pure reason, there's too much trade exchanged between the UK & the EU in the event of any deal forthcoming, people are creating false urgency in order to rush things which is not beneficial in any shape or form for both parties, after the 29th without the official A50 even coming into play, most of the agreement would have been completed, negating the A50 for all intent & purposes.