Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:44 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Thanks for the compliment, Genuinely appreciate it.

Corbyn , I agree, is from the eurosceptic labour Old Guard. There's clips, on youtube, of many of them making speeches that could be mistaken for pre referendum Farage arguments. Because of his stance on Europe I also have a suspicion that the establishment will make Corbyns position untenable too. We shall see.

However, Bercow is hardly proving his ability to be balanced by driving around in a motor with a "b******s to Brexit" sticker proudly displaying......
I believe that was put in his car by his wife for a joke... if I remember rightly. He certainly wanted out while he was an MP... and stated the reasons why quite openly from memory. He may have changed, but if the hatred for him on the center-right of the house is anything to go by he hasn't.

I'm really torn on Bercow myself btw. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of his politics, nor his reputation with staff but I can't really say I think he does a bad job as Speaker... in what are very trying conditions.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm

Why can't the remainers who want a second referendum or revoke understand that they are in the minority.
Do they really think that if there is a EU election that 16+ million citizens who voted remain are going to turn out and vote for candidates from parties who want to betray democracy.
Newsflash: It ain't going to happen.
Let me make it clear. It is the citizens who feel betrayed that are going to turn out at the EU election and vote for the Brexit party.
This message is for those duplicitous remain posters who pretended they want to see the referendum result honoured but now surprisingly are supporting a second referendum. The same posters when they currently post about the EU election talk as if they are neutral. You know who you are

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:52 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Thanks for the compliment, Genuinely appreciate it.

Corbyn , I agree, is from the eurosceptic labour Old Guard. There's clips, on youtube, of many of them making speeches that could be mistaken for pre referendum Farage arguments. Because of his stance on Europe I also have a suspicion that the establishment will make Corbyns position untenable too. We shall see.

However, Bercow is hardly proving his ability to be balanced by driving around in a motor with a "b******s to Brexit" sticker proudly displaying......
That a hell of a take Ringo

Labour under Corbyn have spent years telling everyone its a members led party now. The members want to stay in the EU and want to keep the nuclear deterrent.

Corbyn is struggling with the idea that some of his vision might not be shared by the vast majority of his party.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Is a partial Brexit (Labour's Brexit) better than no Brexit?

Labour's partial-Brexit policy appears to be:

Inside the EU customs union
Outside the EU single market (but closely aligned to it)
Involvement and voting rights on new EU trade deals
Independent immigration policy
Independent agricultural policy
Independent fisheries policy
Independence from the ECJ apart from CU and trade issues

Two questions:

Do you think that Labour's partial-Brexit policy (which would probably need a new political declaration document) could get through parliament?

Would a majority of the 17.4 million who voted leave be prepared to accept it as the only realistic compromise?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:32 pm

martin_p wrote:Same old crap, still haven’t answered my very simple question. If Bercow wasn’t speaker what would be different about Brexit today?
Apart from "changing the trajectory", according to the New Statesman. Apart from allowing a precedent destroying amendment that reduced the Governments timetable from 30 to 5 days. Crucially not allowing 2 amendments , Brady and the Malthouse, which were thought to have had a majority support. Your right Marty ! Bercows role has been totally irrelevant. So irrelevant Betty Boothroyd was wrong to describe his behaviour as "disgraceful". So irrelevant John Craig, sky news chief political correspondent was crazy to describe his role as " pivotal". So irrelevant he's tipped to be the first Speaker NOT to receive a peerage! So irrelevant he's facing an embarrassing vote of no confidence.

You weren't a script writer for the Life of Brian were you!?

"What did John "Just a facilitator" Bercow ever do for Brexit?"

:lol:

But fair play to you! :D More self flagellation for me to chuckle at!

Attempting to swerve answering the simple question of whether my prediction that Bercows role would be pivotal , has been proven right, "yes or no." With another, desperate, goal post shifting question!! :lol:

Martin p - simply unable to say those 4 little words -

"Ringo you were right."

Mystic McCartney - quietly content to say 4 of his own -

"Dry your eyes Marty"
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:14 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Apart from "changing the trajectory", according to the New Statesman. Apart from allowing a precedent destroying amendment that reduced the Governments timetable from 30 to 5 days. Crucially not allowing 2 amendments , Brady and the Malthouse, which were thought to have had a majority support. Your right Marty ! Bercows role has been totally irrelevant. So irrelevant Betty Boothroyd was wrong to describe his behaviour as "disgraceful". So irrelevant John Craig, sky news chief political correspondent was crazy to describe his role as " pivotal". So irrelevant he's tipped to be the first Speaker NOT to receive a peerage! So irrelevant he's facing an embarrassing vote of no confidence.

You weren't a script writer for the Life of Brian were you!?

"What did John "Just a facilitator" Bercow ever do for Brexit?"

:lol:

But fair play to you! :D More self flagellation for me to chuckle at!

Attempting to swerve answering the simple question of whether my prediction that Bercows role would be pivotal , has been proven right, "yes or no." With another, desperate, goal post shifting question!! :lol:

Martin p - simply unable to say those 4 little words -

"Ringo you were right."

Mystic McCartney - quietly content to say 4 of his own -

"Dry your eyes Marty"
More words, still no answer to a very simple question.

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Surprise surprise Labour bottle it on Brexit and to hear Kinnock who was non stop pushing a 2nd vote now says it would be divisive and not conclusive these people have the integrity of ticket touts ..I guess big Nigel as got them crapping themselves :lol: :lol:

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:55 pm

“the right of the Irish people to take whatever measures necessary in their struggle for freedom”.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed May 01, 2019 2:11 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Wed May 01, 2019 2:25 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Wed May 01, 2019 6:40 am

If it be your will wrote:With today's NEC decision, Labour have done just enough to end my flirtation with Farage and I will now be voting for Labour in the EU elections. (Phew! Can't believe how close I came to voting for that complete nutcase Farage!)
The EU elections are irrelevant to me and most leave voters but it’s good to see the panic the Brexit Party are causing,the real target is the GE if and when it comes I suggest this current crop of MPs start job hunting now! this has become bigger than just Brexit it’s about reclaiming the country..

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed May 01, 2019 7:11 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:The EU elections are irrelevant to me and most leave voters but it’s good to see the panic the Brexit Party are causing,the real target is the GE if and when it comes I suggest this current crop of MPs start job hunting now! this has become bigger than just Brexit it’s about reclaiming the country..
From who exactly?

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed May 01, 2019 8:12 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:The EU elections are irrelevant to me and most leave voters but it’s good to see the panic the Brexit Party are causing,the real target is the GE if and when it comes I suggest this current crop of MPs start job hunting now! this has become bigger than just Brexit it’s about reclaiming the country..
Sorry Smudge. In many respects I wish you were correct, despite my revulsion of just about everything Farage stands for and does.
Brexit Party won't get any seats, (or if they do it'll be low single figures), due to our out-dated FPTP system, but it suits both the major parties, so it's unlikely to change despite all the understandable frustration and campaigning by the smaller parties.

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Wed May 01, 2019 8:57 am

martin_p wrote:From who exactly?
Well if your in favour of overturning an historic democratic vote and result im afraid from YOU...
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 am

Wonderful

Can't wait for the Smudges of the world to take over.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 am

martin_p wrote:. If Bercow wasn’t speaker what would be different about Brexit today?
I'll answer your question.

Answer - neither you nor I know what would be different. It's a purely hypothetical question.

What we do know is.

1. He drove a coach and horses through the centuries of parliamentary procedural precedent and protocol. By chosing to table Dominic Grieves amendment that assumed the outcome of a parliamentary vote before it even took place.

He did this while claiming he "would not be bound by precedent "

3. Hes repeatedly refused to publish the advice he was given by the clerks he apparently chose to ignore.

2. This pulled the rug from under the Governments timetable, reducing it from 30 days to 3.

3, He simultaneously chose not to table a pro brexit amendment that would have put a "sunset clause" in the Irish Backstop that could have got a majority.

4. He made an announcement that ambushed her Government, by not allowing the government to try to have another meaningful vote.

This time, the Commons Speaker claimed parliamentary precedent stretching back to 1604 

5. He controversially simultaneously blocked an amendment, the "malthouse amendment" that was expected to get a majority.

The highly respected former Speaker , Betty Boothroyd, described Bercows behaviour as "disgraceful".

He's expected to be the 1st Speaker not to recieve a peerage for his blatant bias.

He's currently facing a highly unusual vote of no confidence.

I successfully predicted all this would happen following the QC lead independent parliamentary inquiry into bullying in Westminster. It recommended a root and branch reform of the culture in parliament . Beginning with the Speaker himself.

I said his role would be " pivotal "

Women's rights groups were left bewildered when the likes of Emily Thornbury, Jessica Philips and Margaret Beckett came running to defend Bercow and in doing so through decades of campaigning and principles out the window as they put thwarting brexit before equality.

This how the New Statesman saw it-

"If it is Labour MPs’ honest belief that they are actually so tactically inept that the only way they can guarantee not sabotaging their hopes of changing Britain’s trajectory over Brexit is to keep John Bercow in place:

Recently John Craig said his role had been "pivotal"

Another commentator said Bercow had become the " defacto prime minister as it he who is deciding parliaments business"

Who knows if it would have been different if another speaker has been in place

I don't know and neither do you.

I've answered you.

Stop the hypertheticals Marty.!

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 01, 2019 11:12 am

martin_p wrote:More words, still no answer to a very simple question.
I have now. So your turn.

I predicted back in October/ November that Bercows role would be pivotal

martin_p wrote:You do know it's not Bercow that will define what the vote is don't you? He's just the facilitator Wrongo
Has Bercow defined what MPs have been and not been able to vote on?

Yes

Or

No?

Has, as something which is pretty much universally accepted, Bercows role been, as I predicted, "pivotal"

Yes

Or

No?

Denial is not a River in Egypt.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Wed May 01, 2019 11:53 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:"Forced" was with hindsight, perhaps the wrong term to use.

Perhaps I should have said "be part of a well organised, extremely well financed establishment and disconnected political class operation to engineer the circumstances in which a 2nd referendum will be brought about"

Bercow is but a pawn. But when the chess game is over, all the pieces are returned to the same sinister box.

I see the War Criminal Tony Bliar has been in talks with EU official, tax and finance chief Pierre Moscovici The same EU officials that have been speaking to a certain Mr Soros at the billionaire boys club in Davos.

The EU has made public a heavily redacted report of the details of The War Criminals meeting. Hiding behind the "EU’s “concept of openness”.

The "concept of openness". That could be straight out of Orwell's 1984......

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11186 ... ans-latest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You see this is the issue. You're so proud of predicting how influential Bercow was going to be (and ultimately he's not been that influential, I don't think we'd be in a different place with a different speaker) but what you were saying was nothing like what happened. You were banging on about Bercow forcing a second referendum and the like which clearly hasn't happened. You can bang that "Ringo was right" drum all you like but we all know that what you were saying then isn't what you claim to have said now.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 01, 2019 1:56 pm

aggi wrote:You see this is the issue. You're so proud of predicting how influential Bercow was going to be (and ultimately he's not been that influential, I don't think we'd be in a different place with a different speaker) but what you were saying was nothing like what happened. You were banging on about Bercow forcing a second referendum and the like which clearly hasn't happened. You can bang that "Ringo was right" drum all you like but we all know that what you were saying then isn't what you claim to have said now.
I had the good grace to admit-

""Forced" was with hindsight, perhaps the wrong term to use.

Perhaps I should have said "be part of a well organised, extremely well financed establishment and disconnected political class operation to engineer the circumstances in which a 2nd referendum will be brought about"

Bercow is but a pawn. But when the chess game is over, all the pieces are returned to the same sinister box."

And you say he " hasn't been that influential.

1. He drove a coach and horses through the centuries of parliamentary procedural precedent and protocol. By chosing to table Dominic Grieves amendment that assumed the outcome of a parliamentary vote before it even took place.

3. Hes repeatedly refused to publish the advice he was given by the clerks he apparently chose to ignore.

2. This pulled the rug from under the Governments timetable, reducing it from 30 days to 3.

3, He crucially simultaneously chose not to table a pro brexit amendment that would have put a "sunset clause" in the Irish Backstop that could have got a majority.

4. He made an announcement that ambushed her Government, by not allowing the government to try to have another meaningful vote.

This time, the Commons Speaker claimed parliamentary precedent stretching back to 1604 

5. He controversially simultaneously blocked an amendment, the "malthouse amendment" that was expected to get a majority.

The highly respected former Speaker , Betty Boothroyd, described Bercows behaviour as "disgraceful".

He's expected to be the 1st Speaker not to recieve a peerage for his blatant bias.

I successfully predicted all this would happen following the QC lead independent parliamentary inquiry into bullying in Westminster. It recommended a root and branch reform of the culture in parliament . Beginning with the Speaker himself.

Women's rights groups were left bewildered when the likes of Emily Thornbury, Jessica Philips and Margaret Beckett came running to defend Bercow and in doing so through decades of campaigning and principles out the window as they put thwarting brexit before equality.

This how the New Statesman saw his role-

"If it is Labour MPs’ honest belief that they are actually so tactically inept that the only way they can guarantee not sabotaging their hopes of changing Britain’s trajectory over Brexit is to keep John Bercow in place:

Sky's John Craig recently described Bercows role as "pivotal"

Another political commentator said he'd become the unofficial Prime Minister!!!

If you genuinely don't think his role has been "that influential" rather than just saying you don't, simply cos it'd having to admit I've been proven right . Then you're just like mutton headed Marty in that you're flying in the face of what the vast majority of politicians, political commentators, the public and even fair minded posters on this message board agree.

Bercows role has been pivotal.

As I said previously, being proven right, and that being acknowledged on here , on numerous occasions has, by fair minded posters. Has given me a certain amount of satisfaction.

But not nearly as much as having the likes of Marty, and now you, huff and puff, distract, swerve, avoid and say anything apart from swallow their pride and simply say, "you were right Ringo"

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu May 02, 2019 11:27 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:I had the good grace to admit-

""Forced" was with hindsight, perhaps the wrong term to use.

Bercow is but a pawn. But when the chess game is over, all the pieces are returned to the same sinister box."

And you say he " hasn't been that influential.

3, He crucially simultaneously chose not to table a pro brexit amendment that would have put a "sunset clause" in the Irish Backstop that could have got a majority.

This how the New Statesman saw his role-

Sky's John Craig recently described Bercows role as "pivotal"

Another political commentator said he'd become the unofficial Prime Minister!!!

If you genuinely don't think his role has been "that influential" rather than just saying you don't, simply cos it'd having to admit I've been proven right . Then you're just like mutton headed Marty in that you're flying in the face of what the vast majority of politicians, political commentators, the public and even fair minded posters on this message board agree.

Bercows role has been pivotal.

As I said previously, being proven right, and that being acknowledged on here , on numerous occasions has, by fair minded posters. Has given me a certain amount of satisfaction.

But not nearly as much as having the likes of Marty, and now you, huff and puff, distract, swerve, avoid and say anything apart from swallow their pride and simply say, "you were right Ringo"
If only you put as much energy into learning to count.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu May 02, 2019 11:53 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:If only you put as much energy into learning to count.
Doe, a deer, a female deer

One, two three, two three four five.

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 pm

WOOP WOOP :lol:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 2739 times

SmudgetheClaret

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Fri May 03, 2019 7:15 am

Brexit easily explained..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 am

Leave parties: Labour (-32), Con (-39), UKIP (-11) : total -82
Remain parties: Lib Dems (+35), Green (+7) : total +42
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum JohnMcGreal

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1644 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Leave parties: Labour (-32), Con (-39), UKIP (-11) : total -82
Remain parties: Lib Dems (+35), Green (+7) : total +42
In the interests of balance the Brexit party are not contesting these elections, and UKIP are in crisis plus are only fielding candidates in around 15% of seats. That just leaves the Tories, and no self respecting Leave voter is going to vote for them currently (I didn’t).

I did chortle though at Labour being described as a Leave party, rather than a sit on the fence party.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 03, 2019 8:38 am

Why do those who want to leave the EU keep on saying BRITAIN voted to leave when it was an overwhelming vote by the working classes in Scotland to stay.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 am

Spijed wrote:Why do those who want to leave the EU keep on saying BRITAIN voted to leave when it was an overwhelming vote by the working classes in Scotland to stay.

Probably due to it being a vote held by all of Britain, not hard to work out

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:WOOP WOOP :lol:
image.jpeg
Enjoy your celebration but all that proves is what everyone already suspected: Brexit voters are a bit thick.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:In the interests of balance the Brexit party are not contesting these elections, and UKIP are in crisis plus are only fielding candidates in around 15% of seats. That just leaves the Tories, and no self respecting Leave voter is going to vote for them currently (I didn’t).

I did chortle though at Labour being described as a Leave party, rather than a sit on the fence party.
A lot of those Conservative and Labour losses are due to the incompetence of the ruling party in particular councils,Labour tanking in Bolton and Sunderland,and losing seats to all and sundry,UKIP will be kicking themselves that they didn't stand more candidates,the pattern seems to be at first glance,if any minor party is on the ballot or some form of independent,the voters are prepared to kick the big 2,hence why the greens are gaining,the climate change issue dominating the headlines may have helped.

The far right is emerging once more,For Britain,and the BNP splinter Democrats & veterans both making gains,in Hartlepool and Barnsley respectively.

Would hint that Burnley could be getting some surprises when the count happens later,if the Labour decline in Northern Brexit-voting areas continues,the council could go to NOC.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 785 times
Has Liked: 1011 times

Post by Guller Bull » Fri May 03, 2019 9:06 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Enjoy your celebration but all that proves is what everyone already suspected: Brexit voters are a bit thick.

There we go!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 am

Guller Bull wrote:There we go!

To be fair, Smudge is either the best troller ever or the thickest man on the planet.

He's clearly in a entire sub-class of his own for a brexit voter though

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am

Please don't tell me this poster is putting up evidence that the local election results so far are telling us that leave voters are on the wane
If so, such head burying in the sand.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri May 03, 2019 10:21 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 AndyClaret

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 am

If it be your will wrote:When your 'leave' parties (Labour/Con/UKIP/Brexit Party) get a combined 70% of the vote in the European elections, presumably you'll say: "Hmm. Yes. Clearly the electorate are still very committed to Brexit. We should respect that."

Doesn't work like that, think they call it cherry picking bits to suit your own narrative
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 03, 2019 10:31 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:In the interests of balance
Hahahahahha

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri May 03, 2019 10:47 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am

If it be your will wrote:When your 'leave' parties (Labour/Con/UKIP/Brexit Party) get a combined 70% of the vote in the European elections, presumably you'll say: "Hmm. Yes. Clearly the electorate are still very committed to Brexit. We should respect that."
Just put up a list of election results ITBYW. Nothing more than that.

Just to remind everyone, you'd vote for farage to get Brexit, which puts you right in the "off his ******* tits cos of Brexit" group
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 am

And the message is pretty clear, both the Conservatives and the Labour Party don't come out well, for whatever reason.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:And the message is pretty clear, both the Conservatives and the Labour Party don't come out well, for whatever reason.

Which is what should have happened, considering they are 2 cheeks of the same arse. These results count for little though in reality.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri May 03, 2019 11:01 am

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am

The biggest indicator for anyone pro Brexit will be the turn out.
Most sane brexiteers wont vote UKIP. Did the Brexit party field candidates anywhere?
The Tories reluctance to deliver Brexit, and the one they are in favour of is practically remain. Labour dont have a stance on brexit, so that leaves vote spoilers and people who feel that it's not worth voting, because the last vote they cast was'nt implimented.
Anyone pro remain will have voted Lib dem and Green.
If the country is as split as remainers say, then Lib dem and green should of won almost every constituency they had a candidate

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 11:12 am

If it be your will wrote:Why does everything I say make you so damned angry??
Whose angry? I'm laughing my cock off here as both parties just confirm that they are hopeless.

I'm a normal decent person with left wing inclinations who'd never vote for Farage under any circumstances.

You would.

Think you might be more angry about this than I am if you've convinced yourself thats the way to go.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Fri May 03, 2019 11:19 am

If it be your will wrote:It's interesting, but tactically Labour are in a bind every bit as bad as the Tories over Brexit. Having spent 3 years advocating internal party democracy, Corbyn is obliged to follow the will of its members, and lurch towards remain. But they also know that if they do that they'll be crucified outside the big cities, the centrists will retake the party, and the Corbyn project is decisively dead. So what on earth is Corbyn supposed to do?
There's a lot of debate on this element. There are quite a few stats that suggest that the crossover of Brexit/Labour voting in most of these constituencies probably isn't enough to lose Labour seats. In particular, it's unlikely that a lot of these votes would go to the Conservatives (more likely UKIP/Brexit party) so they may survive the loss of them. On top of that it may assist in picking up seats in remain constituencies from tories or lib dems.

It's not definitive but it's not as clear cut as many think.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 11:21 am

aggi wrote:There's a lot of debate on this element. There are quite a few stats that suggest that the crossover of Brexit/Labour voting in most of these constituencies probably isn't enough to lose Labour seats. In particular, it's unlikely that a lot of these votes would go to the Conservatives (more likely UKIP/Brexit party) so they may survive the loss of them. On top of that it may assist in picking up seats in remain constituencies from tories or lib dems.

It's not definitive but it's not as clear cut as many think.
You are a resident of the capital Aggi, would Lab have lost badly if there had been local elections there last night?

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 am

If it be your will wrote:No normal, decent person would ever vote for Farage in any circumstances? Well, I think we're about to discover there's an awful lot of abnormality and indecency in the UK then. So what do you suppose is the cause of all this? Just straightforward rank stupidity, or something more complex?

(Since the NEC meeting this week, I'm back with Labour in the Euros by the way, but a lurch to remain and I'll be back with the indecency party again.)
Yup, we are about to discover that the country is full of abnormality and indecency. I know this. You know this.

I see it as a problem that needs sorting because its bloody dangerous, you see it as a convoluted way to get some weird Lexit.

And explaining it?

You know its a lot of factors, of which absolutely none will be solved by leaving the EU.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri May 03, 2019 11:44 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri May 03, 2019 11:45 am

But you can't lump those parties together since they all have a different version of "leave means leave".
Labour favour a CU and (probably) a confirmatory vote, whilst theoretically Cons back May's "deal", so there's no current consensus on this, and this is the problem. But based on current voting intentions, only about 30% favour a "leave means leave" "walk away from everything brexit". Both Lab and Con favour a major compromise with the EU over the many issues.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am

If it be your will wrote:I know, it's a really tricky one. I appreciate they're a poor indicator, but these local elections definitely seem to be sending a signal that Labour will not be forgiven by leavers if they reverse Brexit.

To add to the complexity is the role of 'importance'. A large majority of Labour supporters/members favour remain - that much is obvious. But that is a blunt indicator. When these groups are asked the importance of 'remain', it scores much lower than other things. It seems most Labour members/voters want a Labour government much more than they want remain. That is, there's the possibility that Remain/Labour voters would be more forgiving of a firm 'leave' stance, than Leave/Labour voters would be of a firm 'remain' stance.

And most truly visceral remainers were never fans of Corbyn in the first place.
Then Corbyn can never win an election then.

He needs to be the sort of politician who can unite both sides, and he's miles away from having the slightest clue about how to do that.

And to be fair to him, people like me voted Labour last time, just like you did.

You won't vote for them if they don't back Brexit and I won't vote for them if they do.

I live in a Lab/Con marginal. My vote actually counts as well!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 am

Interesting as well that they does seem to be an attempt to, er, "polish" the results as a mandate for sorting out a deal.

Which is a hell of a take, even for where we have been for three years.