Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:21 am

martin_p wrote:Ah, the old 'a prediction was wrong, so all predictions are wrong' argument!
QUESTION-

When does "evidence" of a future event. Later become, something that is then glibly passed off as just a "prediction"?

ANSWER-

After the event......

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:31 am

martin_p wrote:Well if you can point out where I said it was definitely right that'd be useful for a start. But the difference with the PREDICTIONS now are we at least have some actuals to plug into economic FORECAST MODELS. So, if we have 'no deal' we know the terms on which we'll be trading for example (i.e. WTO) and a whole host of EU related things we'll no longer have access to. I'm prepared to buy the 'project fear' theory on lots on the post referendum predictions as essentially nothing was immediately going to change. This time it's different.
What happened to the EVIDENCE Marty?

You said you had EVIDENCE?

Now it's all opinion based on forecasts and predictions. Just as I said.

You said you could provide evidence of a future event.

I said that, ending free movement of people could help prevent people trafficking, exploitation and modern day slavery.

You said that was only my "opinion" but you had "evidence" that it would not. You've yet to produce that evidence.

I said that as it hasn't happened yet you couldn't possibly have any evidence.

Time to fire up the delorean marty.

Again.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:00 am

Greenmile wrote::lol:

About as honest as the rest of Rowls’ posts on this thread.
Hello Greenmile

You are possibly the dullest poster on this entire forum.

Sincerely

Rowls

LeuvenClaret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by LeuvenClaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
I said that as it hasn't happened yet you couldn't possibly have any evidence. .
Don’t you mean proof?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:54 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:These threads are ace when you just turn up occassionally and read through what people actually put.

Claretandy - everything that Carney says is "Project Fear" until he says something good about free trade and suddenly, its all worth listening to.

Colburn - no evidence of any of the ******** you are talking. Mate, you'd look daft on here if it wasn't for the hilarious post by Jakub!

Jakub - I'm starting to think (like with Ringo) that you are a brilliant parody account. No one could come out with what you have done without a little giggle

**** funny it has to be said.

And of course, a national tragedy that people actually post stuff like this and think its alright.
I've never claimed there's any evidence for what I've stated, only common sense and logic, which is still far removed from yourself who hasn't responded to any of my points.
I'm waiting with bated breath for you to tell me where my logic falls down. Which of my comments is a lie or a misunderstanding.
You've mentioned me half a dozen times, in other posts, but keep ignoring or deflecting any answer.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:23 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:These threads are ace when you just turn up occassionally and read through what people actually put.

Claretandy - everything that Carney says is "Project Fear" until he says something good about free trade and suddenly, its all worth listening to.

Colburn - no evidence of any of the ******** you are talking. Mate, you'd look daft on here if it wasn't for the hilarious post by Jakub!

Jakub - I'm starting to think (like with Ringo) that you are a brilliant parody account. No one could come out with what you have done without a little giggle

**** funny it has to be said.

And of course, a national tragedy that people actually post stuff like this and think its alright.
It's not daft to essentially need something implies you would die without something, I've already ceded in the modern world we need it as we are all accustomed to all our mod cons ect & for some people medically unfit would struggle without it, the monks & nomadic goat herders who use wood & animal dung for lighting fires (cooking) manage to get by without it, in my mind to essentially need something means you would die without it, which clearly isn't the case for some people. The idea is absurd that we don't need it because of what we are & where we are has conditioned that thought that robustly it's almost impossible to imagine a life without.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 am

Rowls wrote:Hello Greenmile

Sincerely

Rowls
Did I upset you snowflake?

I’d rather be dull than a pompous patronising liar.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:54 am

Looks like Ringo was on the sauce again last night.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:56 am

Colburn

You haven't said anything on here that you haven't said before. You haven't said anything on here that is new for two years on Brexit.

In that time, thousands of academics, business leaders, trade experts, journalists have written realms of columns about Brexit. But you've not read any of them unless they include the words "remainer conspiracy, Brexit means Brexit, Its all the fault of the EU etc etc etc.

Its painfully obvious that you don't have a scooby doo what you are talking about

But keep posting away in reply to me. It just highlights even more that you don't.

And "common sense and logic" needs facts, evidence and a bit of knowledge about what you are talking about to be acted on, so whatever you are using, its certainly not "common sense and logic"

I wouldn't mind half as much to be honest if you were like Ringo and Jakub, who just don't like immigration and link the problems in East Lancs to the EU. They are obviously wrong, but at least they are not pretending about why they voted Brexit.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:00 am

We have now moved on from we won't be able to fly anymore to possible doubts about having electricity FFS some on here really need their hand holding through life.

Again though with any negative there is a positive, with no electricity it puts an end to the BBC which puts an end to them trying to make people own a TV licence. Pros and cons in everything.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Your fixation with the definition of "evidence" , and who provides it is clearly clouding your ability to absorb information.

For time immemorial the sun HAS risen in the morning. It has done for millenia. These PAST events allow us to PREDICT it will do the same tomorrow. These past events are not in themselves evidence that it will rise tomorrow but they allow us to BELIEVE, (in reality we KNOW, barring planetary catastrophe) that it will. But only when it's happened will you be able to provide evidence that it actually did.
As long as you continue to misunderstand the uses of the word evidence you'll continue to get this wrong and continue to look a fool. I even tried helping you by posting some dictionary examples of how to use 'evidence', please read them.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:As can be seen by the above quotes.

I said nothing of the sort Marty.
Correct, but it's easy to put words in peoples mouths that they've never said. I thought you'd understand that.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:15 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
You said you could provide evidence of a future event.
Look at the words very carefully, then point out where I've said them (clue - I haven't)

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:16 am

Rowls wrote:Hello Greenmile

Sincerely

Rowls
Says the man posting about Brexit on a football messageboard at 2am!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:16 am

Might as well remind ourselves why Colburn et al thinks like he does

- There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside - David Davis 10 Oct 2016
- The Day after we vote leave, we hold all the cards, and can choose the path we want - Michael Gove 9 April 2016
- Getting out of the EU will be quick and easy, the UK holds most of the cards - John Redwood July 17 2016
- The FTA that we will do will be one of the easiest in human history - Liam Fox 20 July 2016

There are some even better ones from UKIP politicians, but they are loonies so I assumed everyone ignored them.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:17 am

Hello Rowls

Just like to 100% endorse Greenmiles tweet

Can I add to that he's completely nailed you on here?

I can?

Great!
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 am

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... long-delay

So how are the ERG/DUP going to react to this?

Seems May knows she hasn't a chance of renegotiating the Withdrawal Agreement (as has been apparent for weeks) and just intends to wait until the last week in March and present the deal again with the only other option being 'a long delay' to Article 50 in an attempt to scare Brexiteers into backing it.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 am

Vote Leave posters from 2016

Absolutely no mention of a "No Deal"

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status ... 9613810689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:05 am

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/0172867e ... c481009c6d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enough said.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:28 am

martin_p wrote:Says the man posting about Brexit on a football messageboard at 2am!
Hahaha martin_p - It might be just 2am for you but for me it was the end of my shift and I was having a sit down and a rest before bed. :)

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:28 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Colburn

You haven't said anything on here that you haven't said before. You haven't said anything on here that is new for two years on Brexit.

In that time, thousands of academics, business leaders, trade experts, journalists have written realms of columns about Brexit. But you've not read any of them unless they include the words "remainer conspiracy, Brexit means Brexit, Its all the fault of the EU etc etc etc.

Its painfully obvious that you don't have a scooby doo what you are talking about

But keep posting away in reply to me. It just highlights even more that you don't.

And "common sense and logic" needs facts, evidence and a bit of knowledge about what you are talking about to be acted on, so whatever you are using, its certainly not "common sense and logic"

I wouldn't mind half as much to be honest if you were like Ringo and Jakub, who just don't like immigration and link the problems in East Lancs to the EU. They are obviously wrong, but at least they are not pretending about why they voted Brexit.
I'm sorry but you're getting more and more feeble.
You still aren't quoting me in your replies, so that other people can see how clever you are, but hoping I don't see it and respond.

I'll ask again. You claim that Brexit is damaging for us, no problem with that, but I've pointed out several times, why it is more damaging to the rest of Europe.
I gave half a dozen reasons to you and nil d, neither of you have yet said I'm wrong, more specifically why I'm wrong. What have I missed in my post that you can see, but don't want to tell me and the rest of the world.
You either agree or disagree, but if you disagree then tell me why, because unless you do your hissy fitting is just vacuous.
It's my ball and I'm going home.....

As for your claim I don't read about Brexit, your right, I don't. I know why I voted leave, I don't need any academic, journalist or politician telling me what I see, and what I believe.
There are academics, journalists and politicians on both sides of the argument, they can't all be right, so why should I listen to one side over another. I think for myself.

Common sense and logic don't always require evidence.
When you have so many AJPs justifying opposite points of view the only thing we have to separate the wheat from the chaff is common sense and logic.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:I'm sorry but you're getting more and more feeble.
You still aren't quoting me in your replies, so that other people can see how clever you are, but hoping I don't see it and respond.

I'll ask again. You claim that Brexit is damaging for us, no problem with that, but I've pointed out several times, why it is more damaging to the rest of Europe.
I gave half a dozen reasons to you and nil d, neither of you have yet said I'm wrong, more specifically why I'm wrong. What have I missed in my post that you can see, but don't want to tell me and the rest of the world.
You either agree or disagree, but if you disagree then tell me why, because unless you do your hissy fitting is just vacuous.
It's my ball and I'm going home.....

As for your claim I don't read about Brexit, your right, I don't. I know why I voted leave, I don't need any academic, journalist or politician telling me what I see, and what I believe.
There are academics, journalists and politicians on both sides of the argument, they can't all be right, so why should I listen to one side over another. I think for myself.

When you have so many AJPs justifying opposite points of view the only thing we have to separate the wheat from the chaff is common sense and logic.
I'd be interested in which of your arguments you think are applying logic.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 am

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/w ... o-achieve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:56 am

I'm not clever Colburn. I read a lot of stuff though which means that I can spot someone who hasn't bothered a mile away.

But I deal with reality. You don't.

You keep going on about common sense and logic. Nothing you speak about on this thread is anything to do with either.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:58 am

"I think for myself"

Just a complete coincidence that what you think is pretty much every Brexiteer mantra for about twenty years eh?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:00 pm

followed the very next paragraph by
I rest my case my lord. You are making this up as you go along.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote: I gave half a dozen reasons to you and nil d, neither of you have yet said I'm wrong, more specifically why I'm wrong. What have I missed in my post that you can see, but don't want to tell me and the rest of the world.
I explained in clear and logical terms why the EU would be less concerned than we should be, (basically because their hit is divided by 27 and they will continue to trade as a "bloc" on one landmass, whilst we are cut off by the English channel, initially have no agreements in place and take the full hit ourselves).
This is why those in authority, not just the govt. are having to spend money on emergency short term measures such as stockpiling food and drugs, turning motorways in Kent into a car park with portaloos, and chartering ferry companies that don't have vessels or a port to operate from. When you replied you simply ignored my point - so I've basically moved on. There's no point in simply repeating the same realities, (no disrespect to those on here that obviously have a little more time than me and continue to do so.)

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 pm

I assume we've had the latest bit of Project Fear
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKCN1Q12SK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I explained in clear and logical terms why the EU would be less concerned than we should be, (basically because their hit is divided by 27 and they will continue to trade as a "bloc" on one landmass, whilst we are cut off by the English channel, initially have no agreements in place and take the full hit ourselves).
So, when Italy (who contribute 12% to the EU's budget) take a hit on the £22bn we import from them, 18 countries in Denmark, Ireland, Finland, Portugal, Czechia, Greece, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Estonia, Cyprus and Malta (Who between them contribute 12% to the EU's budget) will pick up the slack? That is assuming none of them take a hit, obviously.

Will Ireland be jumping to Italy's aid, considering they'll take a hit on the £21bn we import from them?

Or is it any wonder Italy are in a scramble to get a free trade agreement with the UK outside of the EU.
Last edited by Darthlaw on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 pm

aggi wrote:I assume we've had the latest bit of Project Fear
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKCN1Q12SK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I assume it's all to do with diesel and the Chinese economy in reality.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Got a link to that Italy story Darth?

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:55 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/108 ... teral-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Nothing at all in there about what you claim.

Come on Darth, you are better than that.

Just say what it says, that Italy are worried about a "No Deal" because they don't want to take the hit. That a perfectly understandable position to be in and it might help us get a deal with the EU, but even that article states that the problem is at our end at the moment.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So, when Italy (who contribute 12% to the EU's budget) take a hit on the £22bn we import from them, 18 countries in Denmark, Ireland, Finland, Portugal, Czechia, Greece, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Estonia, Cyprus and Malta (Who between them contribute 12% to the EU's budget) will pick up the slack? That is assuming none of them take a hit, obviously.

Or is it any wonder Italy are in a scramble to get a free trade agreement with the UK outside of the EU.
After midnight on March 29th we will will need to start trying to make trade deals around the world since in a "no deal" brexit we will have nothing in place. (Making a separate trade deal with Italy, or any individual EU state is not possible so far as I'm aware. [It's one of the reasons given for leaving].)
As Lancs pointed out on the previous page, Davis, Redwood, Fox, and others all told us in 2016, making these deals would be "very easy", so we shouldn't be worried, but based on what has been achieved so far, it's highly unlikely that we'll be seeing major trade deals concluded overnight.
Meanwhile as I said the rest of the EU will continue to trade as they are doing now.
In any case as has been pointed out on many occasions in a "no deal" scenario, (that means "no deal" on March 29th, not a managed "no deal", which is a contradiction in terms), trade might well be the least of our concerns.
It's interesting also that virtually no-one on this board was saying that "no deal" would be a good outcome for the past two years. It's only now that it's looking like it might actually happen that a lot of brexiteers on here are suddenly saying that it will be a good thing.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Sorry Lancs - If there's nothing in that, then there's nothing in the 'overheard' conversation from Olly Robins reported today either. They're both very realistic if not proven scenarios though.

Nil - Lancs has also pointed out in this thread earlier that we can make deals now (some, albeit minor ones have already been done). You're also correct that Italy are not allowed, under EU rules, to make separate trade deals however thats the point I'm illustrating.

You stated
nil_desperandum wrote:I explained in clear and logical terms why the EU would be less concerned than we should be, (basically because their hit is divided by 27 and they will continue to trade as a "bloc" on one landmass, whilst we are cut off by the English channel, initially have no agreements in place and take the full hit ourselves).
Granted, the EU (as an entity) probably can't care less, however certain individual countries within might not be so happy to rely on the smaller members to 'share the hit'.

Realistically will Italy tolerate such a loss to their economy (or risk that others will share in the hit) based on the EU's need to ward off others from leaving the protection racket, sorry, ahem... Union.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 pm

But there isn't anything in that about an FTA within the framework of the EU? (which would be illegal anyway!)

Which is what your post implied.

FTA when we are outside of the EU? No problem with that, that is what we will both be doing.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:28 pm

And by using terms like "protection racket", your post flips my "Ringoradar" which auto generates this reply

It protects its members. Thats what it does. We are no longer a member. So it won't protect us. Its is beyond mental to suggest that we can have the same benefits that members have.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Oh, this is not good. The deal with Switzerland isn't as clear cut as it first looked. Certainly looks not as good in a "No Deal" scenario.

https://twitter.com/CoppetainPU/status/ ... 8560724992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Nil - Lancs has also pointed out in this thread earlier that we can make deals now (some, albeit minor ones have already been done). You're also correct that Italy are not allowed, under EU rules, to make separate trade deals however thats the point I'm illustrating.
Precisely, you make my point perfectly. We can indeed set up deals now, but if it were as simple as Davis, Fox et al made out in 2016, then surely we would have lots of potential deals lined up now, and our Trade Minister would be boasting about them?
This is where we are after over 2 years, so why do you think the trade deals will suddenly start to roll in in the next month?
The only really important trade deal is the massive one that we currently have with the EU. No sound business would simply tear up this agreement and walk away without having a proper contingency in place.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:09 pm

nil_desperandum wrote: After midnight on March 29th we will will need to start trying to make trade deals around the world since in a "no deal" brexit we will have nothing in place.
So not your point at all, seen as we won't be starting on March 29th and we do already have some agreements in place. Aside that, you got it correct.

More importantly, as has already been said on this thread, what sound business would sign up to an agreement without a start date? The EU is trying to stop us leaving, prominent remainers are trying to stop us leaving and even some moderates are trying to delay our exit.

Ask yourself a question, would you commit to buy a house from a family who didn't know when they would be leaving and that some members of the family were still arguing that they shouldn't move?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:14 pm

We have three Darth (four if you count the NZ one)

The leave date is irrelevant to be honest. Current EU rules apply to when we leave, and then they don't.

The Sun are reporting that we are only ready to roll over 6 out of 20 other deals as well by the deadline.

As we've had an entire department working on this for two years, its Chris Grayling levels of incompetence.

Just for these deals to be sorted in time is a reason to extend Article 50 if we are being honest.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Just for these deals to be sorted in time is a reason to extend Article 50 if we are being honest.
Will the EU allow a 'can we have some more time whilst we get our affairs in order' extension though? I can't see it.

What we can agree on is the shitshow that all in charge of this debacle have made of the process.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I think we all agree on that!

From what I've been reading (Colburn take note!) the EU are willing to extend, but only if we have a plan.

The lack of a plan is the problem!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm

This might explain it all better than I can

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status ... 0465219586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 pm

This is why those in authority, not just the govt. are having to spend money on emergency short term measures such as stockpiling food and drugs, turning motorways in Kent into a car park with portaloos, and chartering ferry companies that don't have vessels or a port to operate from. When you replied you simply ignored my point - so I've basically moved on. There's no point in simply repeating the same realities, (no disrespect to those on here that obviously have a little more time than me and continue to do so.)
Their hit isn't divided by 27 countries , as 20+ of them are on their knees. It will be up to about 5, to find the missing £39billion. Economies , even in Germany are going backwards, they can't afford it, or not without hitting their own people, many of whom are already upset by the EU.
We have a trade deficit with Europe, therefore tarrifs will cost more for businesses to export, but our government will make more than businesses lose on the tarrifs we collect. We could supplement businesses until the mess is sorted, and still be in pocket. We are also free to make deals elsewhere in order to keep businesses moving.
Germany and France having a trade surplus, will lose a lot more than they gain, another hit. They can't go looking elsewhere for new deals to keep businesses going, because they are already tied to the EU trade contracts.
Cars parked on the M20 is another of those scaremongering stories. There will probably be an initial slow down, but I doubt it will last long at all. Calais has already said it foresees no problems.

The bottom line is Westminster doesn't give a **** about the people, and Brussels doesn't give a **** about the people, nor Germany and France, but businesses care about business, and it will be businesses, both sides of the channel which will be screaming loudest if it's hitting them. Businesses dictate to governments in the end, because that's where governments get their funding.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm

martin_p wrote:I'd be interested in which of your arguments you think are applying logic.
Lancaster has a theory, sorry facts and evidence, that Brexit will hit Britain hard, I'm not arguing with that. But I've pointed out several times in several ways, why it will hit Europe even harder.
He just directs me to read his facts wherever they are, but won't tell me how or why I'm wrong.
If I am I'll be the first to stick my hand up, I've got broad shoulders, but no he just keeps deflecting.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So not your point at all, seen as we won't be starting on March 29th and we do already have some agreements in place. Aside that, you got it correct.

More importantly, as has already been said on this thread, what sound business would sign up to an agreement without a start date? The EU is trying to stop us leaving, prominent remainers are trying to stop us leaving and even some moderates are trying to delay our exit.

Ask yourself a question, would you commit to buy a house from a family who didn't know when they would be leaving and that some members of the family were still arguing that they shouldn't move?
I think Lancs has part answered this, but I don't understand your point at all about the date, since that date has been enshrined in law for the best part of 2 years, so any future deal can be negotiated on the basis of "from March 30th or following any brief transition period".

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:50 pm

I've showed you an article in the New York Times that says it will hit us harder than anyone. Completely neutral in this as I'm sure you will agree.

Where is your evidence that it won't?

And its not my theory you silly old fart, its the considered opinion of thousands of economists and trade experts. Who know more about it than me and you. They are paid to make these calls. Uniformity in this field is so rare for this to be unique.

Again, where is your evidence?

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Their hit isn't divided by 27 countries , as 20+ of them are on their knees. It will be up to about 5, to find the missing £39billion. .
Not going to come back on the rest of your post as it's been covered so often, but I wouldn't put much weight on the "£39 billion" argument that Davis and members of the ERG have claimed, (but not the govt.).
There's a strong legal argument that says that we owe it so we pay it - whether we have a deal or not, and it would almost certainly go to the International Court for arbitration (not the ECJ) if we reneged on our financial obligations. Most likely we would lose.
Even if we decided to fight this and won, there is a strong political argument for paying our dues. After all we are going to be looking for new trading partners. Would you go into a partnership with a company who had just defaulted on their previous partner and left them owing a lot of money?
I don't think so.
This isn't just my view. Mrs May and other senior figures have said that we will fulfil our financial obligation, (without reference to whether we leave with a deal or not.)
This article sums it up pretty well, but you can reaad about it in more detail if you do a bit of research.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... vorce-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Lancs - curiously the New York Times is nowhere near as neutral on Brexit as you would like to think. They have a big anti-Brexit bias. I read one of their articles recently that was so far out there it could have been written by a UN envoy! I think they link the forces of Brexit with the forces of Trump - hence their agenda.

We all see / hear what we want to see / hear. The Carney speech yesterday was a case in point. According to the BBC it was another warning of Armageddon and according to the Telegraph it was the end of Project Fear and signalling the birth of global free trade.

And so it goes on.
Rowls had the right idea to just laugh in the face of it all as none of us know what is going to happen - even you Lancs!