Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:10 pm

summitclaret wrote:It wont say no deal in the way you say. It will say we want a free trade deal but if the EU continue to be unreasonable (by not moving from something that our HOC has rejected 3 times), then we will leave without a deal if necessary.
And as I said, or implied, there's absolutely no way that a significant number of current Tory MPs will stand on a manifesto that states we "will leave without a deal".
Additionally, how would the Tories standing aside in Burnley help them achieve an overall majority?
And if you start arguing that the Brexit Party would support everything in the Tory manifesto and would support them in Parliament, then why would the average Burnley voter vote for that?

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:What about the backstop / good friday agreement, how do you think that will be settled as part of the deal?
It will be fudged on the basis that the PD makes clear that we will be getting a FTD. The main thing is that it is a brexiteer leading phase 2 and not May. There's about 30 Labour mps ready to vote for something like that

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:14 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:And as I said, or implied, there's absolutely no way that a significant number of current Tory MPs will stand on a manifesto that states we "will leave without a deal".
Additionally, how would the Tories standing aside in Burnley help them achieve an overall majority?
And if you start arguing that the Brexit Party would support everything in the Tory manifesto and would support them in Parliament, then why would the average Burnley voter vote for that?
Because it sorts Brexit.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:16 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I speculate but only within a sensible remit. I have no doubt it is being looked at seriously, if belatedly.
Ok but if you think a deal will happen then you must think some agreement will have been reached around the Irish border. Either you've got some thoughts how that will be achieved or your statement you think there will be a deal is widely speculative as it speculates with no thought out logic that somehow the Irish border issue will be resolved.

Im not trying to have a go at you with the above but so many people seem to state belief in things with such confidence I assume there must be well thought out logic beneath it.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:19 pm

summitclaret wrote:It will be fudged on the basis that the PD makes clear that we will be getting a FTD. The main thing is that it is a brexiteer leading phase 2 and not May. There's about 30 Labour mps ready to vote for something like that
Fudged in what way and im probably just having a brain freeze but what does PD stand for?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:20 pm

summitclaret wrote:Because it sorts Brexit.
But how could a Brexit MP represent the people of Burnley on other issues if they won, such as schools, Burnley General Hospital, policing etc.?

It's all well and good saying it sorts Brexit, but what about day-to-day issues if your MP hasn't got a clue about them?

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Ok but if you think a deal will happen then you must think some agreement will have been reached around the Irish border. Either you've got some thoughts how that will be achieved or your statement you think there will be a deal is widely speculative as it speculates with no thought out logic that somehow the Irish border issue will be resolved.

Im not trying to have a go at you with the above but so many people seem to state belief in things with such confidence I assume there must be well thought out logic beneath it.
The logic is the radio 4 interview with Gerard Schroeder.... it really is worth listening too, for a real considered view of Brexit and what it means to the member nations as well as Britain.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Spijed wrote:But how could a Brexit MP represent the people of Burnley on other issues if they won, such as schools, Burnley General Hospital, policing etc.?

It's all well and good saying it sorts Brexit, but what about day-to-day issues if your MP hasn't got a clue about them?
About as well as Julie Cooper has done.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Fudged in what way and im probably just having a brain freeze but what does PD stand for?
Political Declaration.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 pm

elwaclaret wrote:The logic is the radio 4 interview with Gerard Schroeder.... it really is worth listening too, for a real considered view of Brexit and what it means to the member nations as well as Britain.
Ok but for now im accepting your premise in good faith that there is a desire from the EU to get an agreement and not go down the No Deal route but the Irish Border system still needs a proper solution and not just wanting it to be ok.

Based on the interview and your other considerations you must have some thought / ideas how you think both sides will overcome the issue and im interested to get your thoughts on this.

If you really haven't thought about it more thank thinking a way will be found because both sides want a deal to happen then fair enough I'll stop with the 20 questions

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:28 pm

summitclaret wrote:Political Declaration.
Thanks and have you any ideas on how it will be fudged or just confident that the two sides will just find a way?

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Spijed wrote:But how could a Brexit MP represent the people of Burnley on other issues if they won, such as schools, Burnley General Hospital, policing etc.?

You're correct, but as I implied, (but Summit claret didn't address): if they were standing - effectively as joint Tory / BP candidates then to give Johnson a majority in Parliament on they would have to vote with the Tories on every issue
So whilst they might not personally have any clue or interest in education or the NHS, they would be voting with Johnson and the Tories on everything.
Conversely, if they truly represented Burnley people then as soon as brexit" was "sorted" (if there is such a thing), then Johnson would lose his majority, so why would the Tories make a pact with the Brexit Party?

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Its not this simple , but if we have a free trade deal ways can be found to sort the border. Its a serious issue but it's basically been a construct to keep us half in by May and Hammond etc from day 1.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Ok but for now im accepting your premise in good faith that there is a desire from the EU to get an agreement and not go down the No Deal route but the Irish Border system still needs a proper solution and not just wanting it to be ok.

Based on the interview and your other considerations you must have some thought / ideas how you think both sides will overcome the issue and im interested to get your thoughts on this.

If you really haven't thought about it more thank thinking a way will be found because both sides want a deal to happen then fair enough I'll stop with the 20 questions
You should spot by now when this discussion gets too Party or Brexit extreme I leave it for a few days. I like serious politics, and listen to those who challenge views sensibly. Why I often do not reply to your naughtier posts.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:32 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:You're correct, but as I implied, (but Summit claret didn't address): if they were standing - effectively as joint Tory / BP candidates then to give Johnson a majority in Parliament on they would have to vote with the Tories on every issue
So whilst they might not personally have any clue or interest in education or the NHS, they would be voting with Johnson and the Tories on everything.
Conversely, if they truly represented Burnley people then as soon as brexit" was "sorted" (if there is such a thing), then Johnson would lose his majority, so why would the Tories make a pact with the Brexit Party?
Because Brexit has to be sorted. There may gave to be a second GE not long after to address the wider agenda.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:34 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:You're correct, but as I implied, (but Summit claret didn't address): if they were standing - effectively as joint Tory / BP candidates then to give Johnson a majority in Parliament on they would have to vote with the Tories on every issue
But doesn't a MP tend to hold regular surgeries for their constituents?

Could you imagine the Brexit MP for Burnley faced with a local resident complaining about a leaking roof on their council house?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 pm

elwaclaret wrote:You should spot by now when this discussion gets too Party or Brexit extreme I leave it for a few days. I like serious politics, and listen to those who challenge views sensibly. Why I often do not reply to your naughtier posts.
Im not trying to challenge your views but trying to really understand where your views are routed in. You think there will be a deal, which means there must be a resolution to the Irish Border issue so surely you have a view on how that will be resolved

I dont think there's anything wrong with my line of questioning and ive deliberately tried not to counter argue your points but instead just push you for explanation.

To suddenly start playing the man like youve just done is a bit poor and probably highlights a weakness in your arguments that they do not stand up to scrutinty.

Anyhow I dont want to get in to a tit for tat argument so I'll leave it there

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Spijed wrote:But doesn't a MP tend to hold regular surgeries for their constituents?

Could you imagine the Brexit MP for Burnley faced with a local resident complaining about a leaking roof on their council house?
Well I agree, but my broader point is that if it's a "devil's alliance" between Johnson's Tories and a Brexit Party candidate then an agreement would have to be made before the candidate was adopted that the BP MP would take the Tory Whip once elected, if not then it wouldn't help Johnson command a majority.
So it wouldn't actually matter that much how good the MP was, or how concerned he / she was about your leaking roof, they would be signing up to all the Tory policies and (theoretically at least) whipped to vote with the Tories on every issue. That's not likely to go down well with a lot in Burnley.
This user liked this post: Spijed

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Im not trying to challenge your views but trying to really understand where your views are routed in. You think there will be a deal, which means there must be a resolution to the Irish Border issue so surely you have a view on how that will be resolved

I dont think there's anything wrong with my line of questioning and ive deliberately tried not to counter argue your points but instead just push you for explanation.

To suddenly start playing the man like youve just done is a bit poor and probably highlights a weakness in your arguments that they do not stand up to scrutinty.

Anyhow I dont want to get in to a tit for tat argument so I'll leave it there
No sorry, if you’ve got that impression that was not my intention in the least. I merely react to the information that is available to me. The best advocate of my position is former German Chancellor Gerhart Schroeder (sp) who was interviewed at some length on radio four. I try to tell it I currently see it unfolding, more to how this may play out in the history books of the future as much as anything. If I give the impression of trying to be a smart ass, I can only apologise. Just interested.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:44 pm

summitclaret wrote:Because Brexit has to be sorted.
And what happens if there is still no overall majority?
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 pm

elwaclaret wrote:No sorry, if you’ve got that impression that was not my intention in the least. I merely react to the information that is available to me. The best advocate of my position is former German Chancellor Gerhart Schroeder (sp) who was interviewed at some length on radio four. I try to tell it I currently see it unfolding, more to how this may play out in the history books of the future as much as anything. If I give the impression of trying to be a smart ass, I can only apologise. Just interested.
No need to apologise and I dont think you come across as a smart ass at all. Like I said I think you have a considered style of posting but I dont tend to agree with your thinking so was interested to explore it and really wasnt trying to be arsey. If I get time over weekend I'll have a listen to the interview and explore opinions of it from different sides

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:49 pm

elwaclaret wrote:The logic is the radio 4 interview with Gerard Schroeder.... it really is worth listening too, for a real considered view of Brexit and what it means to the member nations as well as Britain.
Why do you keep referencing Schroeder who has been out of office for more almost 15 years; who describes Putin as a "flawless democrat", who is a strong advocate of Turkey joining the EU, who is seriously implicated in the "Paradise papers", and who controversially helped Horst Mahler, (a founding member of the Baader-Meinhof terrorist group), to secure both an early release from prison and permission to practice law again in Germany.
Surely it's what the German politicians of today are saying that we should be most concerned about?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:50 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:No need to apologise and I dont think you come across as a smart ass at all. Like I said I think you have a considered style of posting but I dont tend to agree with your thinking so was interested to explore it and really wasnt trying to be arsey. If I get time over weekend I'll have a listen to the interview and explore opinions of it from different sides
Think you’ll enjoy it. About twenty minutes + long if memory serves, quite frank and honest I thought.

As for not agreeing, people died to give you that right. So no probs.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Depends who the BP candidate for Burnley is,his name is Stewart Ian Scott,but i can't find much else out about him.

His Twitter account looks relatively normal by BP standards and he lives locally as far as i can judge.

A boost for the BP in burnley will be the defection of the 3 UKIP councillors to their fold,Burnley is clearly a target seat for them,so you'd expect a fair amount of activity in the coming months.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:01 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Why do you keep referencing Schroeder who has been out of office for more almost 15 years; who describes Putin as a "flawless democrat", who is a strong advocate of Turkey joining the EU, who is seriously implicated in the "Paradise papers", and who controversially helped Horst Mahler, (a founding member of the Baader-Meinhof terrorist group), to secure both an early release from prison and permission to practice law again in Germany.
Surely it's what the German politicians of today are saying that we should be most concerned about?
Purely based on that one interview. Which deals at length with the issue from a perspective far removed from my experience, and is far closer to people ‘on the scene’ in Germany than either me, or I suspect you.

I can vaguely remember him but couldn’t ‘t tell you if I agree with ANY of his policies, or even if he was right or left leaning and frankly don’t care.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:06 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Purely based on that one interview. Which deals at length with the issue from a perspective far removed from my experience, and is far closer to people ‘on the scene’ in Germany than either me, or I suspect you.

I can vaguely remember him but couldn’t ‘t tell you if I agree with ANY of his policies, or even if he was right or left leaning and frankly don’t care.
I don't claim to be much of an expert on Schroeder, but something tells me that I wouldn't be wanting to put much faith in such a dubious character who is openly such a supporter of Putin.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Have you any link to the interview. Searched Google, BBC website, YouTube & Twitter and cannot find the interview or anything to do with Schroeder relevant to Brexit?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:12 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I don't claim to be much of an expert on Schroeder, but something tells me that I wouldn't be wanting to put much faith in such a dubious character who is openly such a supporter of Putin.
Fair enough, didn’t strike me particularly politically leaning and it was daytime radio 4 so I suspect it wasn’t too outrageous.

Just thought provoking musings really.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 pm

I suspect there will be a string of spending announcements immediately Parliament returns. A global recession is expected, anytime and I expect Boris will see it as the perfect time to spend big... it is the American way to fight recession, borrow big while the pound is poor, pay it back once it’s strong. It wouldn’t shock me for some major infrastructural work to get the green light, maybe even H2 to keep money changing hands while it’s bad and stronger to bounce back when it ends.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Driving through burnley, it strikes me that it's well worth giving some unknown character a chance to fix the leaking roofs.
Given the terrible job that labour, the lib dems and the tories have done at making the town such a utopia

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 pm

tiger76 wrote:Then again Boris might think it's worth a throw of the dice,he doesn't have a majority just now,and the Conservatives polling numbers are improving,depends how much of a gambler he is?
I think Boris would be better served by waiting. If he loses a vote of confidence, it won't be seen as his fault, and the Tory party minus its malcontents will be seen as a lot more united than the (expected) shambles of the smaller parties trying to cobble together a coalition.

Anyone Tory who votes against the Tories to bring down the government will not be standing as a Tory at the resulting election. That's a given.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:So leave voters wanted out to get our democracy back and you want to take it away?

What you seem to be advocating is a dictatorship.
No it isn’t. A dictatorship is where one person, a dictator, says what happens and nowhere have I said that. As there are more remainer MPs than leavers we can’t leave without the remainers screwing the deal up. They want to keep ties with the EU and the stronger the better whereas ‘the People’ just want to get out. The MPs who voted to leave have ‘the People’s’ best interest at heart and it should be left to them to get us out and No Deal is an essential bargaining chip in that process. As for the ‘democracy’ bit, it’s the leavers who are trying everything to deny democracy for ‘the People’ by trying every tactic to keep us in.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:53 pm

BennyD wrote:. As for the ‘democracy’ bit, it’s the leavers who are trying everything to deny democracy for ‘the People’ by trying every tactic to keep us in.
Totally agree, if the ERG had voted for May's deal, (which by the way Johnson voted for,) we'd have been out on March 31st, and we could now be getting a trade deal sorted.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm

tiger76 wrote:Corbyn couldn't win an election in 2017,despite the Conservatives running the worst campaign in living memory,so there's no chance he'll win an outright majority next time,he might with some luck see Labour emerge as the largest single party,but he'll have to rely on the Lib Dems and possibly the SNP for support,the likely cost of any such support will almost certainly be a 2nd EU ref,and Sturgeon will demand a section 30 i'd imagine.

Whatever the result i can't see either of the 2 main parties carrying a majority in the HOC,so it's very likely we'll still be in a stalemate situation.

I agree regarding Corbyn,his peak was in 2017,and he's now a drain on Labour's potential vote,Keir Starmer would have a much better chance of becoming PM,but Labour's ideology won't allow a centrist to take the reins,until that changes they'll be stuck in opposition.
There's a lot of heavy duty revisionism here. When the 2017 election was called, most pundits predicted a Tory landslide. On the prediction thread on this site my prediction of a Labour minority was probably one of the closest to how it actually turned out. Labour started off twenty point behind in the polls, and many people thought they'd have fewer than a hundred seats. And they had most of the print media behind them. May's campaign was run by Lynton Crosby, who ran the previous two Tory campaigns (the previous one winning them a majority, as you know), as well as Johnson's successful mayoral campaigns. May's campaign was little different to those campaigns, and I'd say it was the fact Labour ran a completely different style of campaign that showed the Tory one up to be empty guff, and this is what gave Corbyn so much momentum to overcome the twenty point difference. Afterwards (as you might recall) the election was seen as a terrible defeat for May, as throwing away a majority should be seen, and I think had the election continued for another two weeks, Corbyn would have gained a Labour majority (considering he won a number of solid Tory seats).

What happens this time will be interesting. What has Lynton Crosby learned from the last defeat?

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:41 pm

AndrewJB wrote:What happens this time will be interesting. What has Lynton Crosby learned from the last defeat?
I'm fairly sure he won't be able to make Boris look as boring as Theresa May!

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:23 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... llowhammer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Something for us all to look forward to.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:31 pm

AndrewJB wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... llowhammer Something for us all to look forward to.
A lot of it is utter bilge. Remember, it was written by someone who foresees a situation where there are some vital medicines needed in the hospitals, and these medicines are in a truck at Dover, and yet he cannot imagine how the problem of getting the medicines from Dover to the hospitals can be solved.

Here's the answer - there are two easy ways. The queue could be jumped, or the paperwork could be skimped. Any Remainer (or anyone else) who genuinely believes that the medicines will be left on the harbour side is probably a little less than honest, or a little less than bright.

I don't know for sure if the EU would watch people die rather than change the rules. I'm pretty sure the UK government wouldn't choose that policy.

And if they want to argue that food prices will go up, then fine, make that argument. But don't waste our time arguing that there will be food shortages, because the rich (which the UK is) can always afford food.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Mystic McCartney strikes, yet again.

Brexit - no medicine!

BRING OUT YER DEAD....BRING OUT YER DEAD.....

:lol:

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:21 am

dsr wrote: Here's the answer - there are two easy ways. The queue could be jumped, or the paperwork could be skimped. Any Remainer (or anyone else) who genuinely believes that the medicines will be left on the harbour side is probably a little less than honest, or a little less than bright.
If medicine skips the queue how do you get the medicine to the front of the queue, do we build a medicine lane, or use an already existing lane and decrease the current queue capacity by 50%?
How does the driver inform anyone that they're carrying medicine at the back of the queue, a pre-check check, where would that take place?

Do we really want drugs to be the one thing we skimp on paperwork for, easy to look at tomatoes and say 'yeah they're tomatoes', do you know what Dextroamphetamine looks like compared to say TicTacs?

Simple "oh we'll just do X" statements are great until you actually think about how they might operate in detail.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:49 am

dsr wrote:A lot of it is utter bilge. Remember, it was written by someone who foresees a situation where there are some vital medicines needed in the hospitals, and these medicines are in a truck at Dover, and yet he cannot imagine how the problem of getting the medicines from Dover to the hospitals can be solved.

Here's the answer - there are two easy ways. The queue could be jumped, or the paperwork could be skimped. Any Remainer (or anyone else) who genuinely believes that the medicines will be left on the harbour side is probably a little less than honest, or a little less than bright.

I don't know for sure if the EU would watch people die rather than change the rules. I'm pretty sure the UK government wouldn't choose that policy.

And if they want to argue that food prices will go up, then fine, make that argument. But don't waste our time arguing that there will be food shortages, because the rich (which the UK is) can always afford food.
It’s the government’s own study, not taking into account a worst case scenario. I don’t see how you can airily wave it away as rubbish.

For people who are already living close to the bread line, a rise in food prices will push them closer to penury. But I suppose they can console themselves that they’re hungry, but now more free?

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:07 pm

AndrewJB wrote:It’s the government’s own study, not taking into account a worst case scenario. I don’t see how you can airily wave it away as rubbish.

For people who are already living close to the bread line, a rise in food prices will push them closer to penury. But I suppose they can console themselves that they’re hungry, but now more free?
Of course it's a worst case scenario. And a worst case scenario dreamed up by someone who was anti-Brexit, at that.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm

CombatClaret wrote:If medicine skips the queue how do you get the medicine to the front of the queue, do we build a medicine lane, or use an already existing lane and decrease the current queue capacity by 50%?
How does the driver inform anyone that they're carrying medicine at the back of the queue, a pre-check check, where would that take place?

Do we really want drugs to be the one thing we skimp on paperwork for, easy to look at tomatoes and say 'yeah they're tomatoes', do you know what Dextroamphetamine looks like compared to say TicTacs?

Simple "oh we'll just do X" statements are great until you actually think about how they might operate in detail.
How does the driver inform anyone they are carrying medicines? I don't know. Maybe they will try and use drivers who have mobile phones, or something. Or use trucks with a registration plate so they can see which ones are expected and are priority. Possibly create a government department concerned with the NHS that can facilitate things.

If the government has special deliveries coming in, they will be able to find a way of waving them through customs. That's a feeble argument.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:18 pm

From "£350m per week to the NHS" to "I'm sure we can come up with a system that allows medicine to enter the country".
These 2 users liked this post: CombatClaret nil_desperandum

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:47 pm

AndrewJB wrote:It’s the government’s own study, not taking into account a worst case scenario. I don’t see how you can airily wave it away as rubbish.

Food prices have risen steadily for as long as I can remember, along with fuel.
It's just a fact of life and they'd rise without Brexit happening.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:10 pm

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-deal ... es-france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dover and Calais will continue to work smoothly after Brexit, according to man in charge of the French Channel ports, who described concerns about the crossing as “bullshit”.

Jean-Marc Puissesseau insisted that no problems will arise at the ports, which are vital to British trade with Europe.

Remoaners- "the actual man in charge of the ports definitely doesn't know what he's talking about!"

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Food prices have risen steadily for as long as I can remember, along with fuel.
It's just a fact of life and they'd rise without Brexit happening.
I've taken in water for as long as I can remember. If I try to drink the entire sea, though, I'll probably drown.

Scarcity increases prices. If no-deal creates scarcity (a realistic possibility) those price rises won't be steady. Nobody on this thread is simple enough to not know that, but here we are, with purity blinding folk to basic common sense.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Spiral wrote:I've taken in water for as long as I can remember. If I try to drink the entire sea, though, I'll probably drown.

Scarcity increases prices. If no-deal creates scarcity (a realistic possibility) those price rises won't be steady. Nobody on this thread is simple enough to not know that, but here we are, with purity blinding folk to basic common sense.
I'm well aware of what's being said, thanks, but I also know people don't like things like continual prices rises being pointed out :roll:

The government will probably sort something out, if they do then remainers will swiftly forget this and grab hold of the next perceived disaster.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Spiral wrote:I've taken in water for as long as I can remember. If I try to drink the entire sea, though, I'll probably drown.

Why would "no deal" create scarcity? The world isn't short of food, even if it isn't shared out very well. Rich countries will still be able to buy food and plenty of it. It's possible that tariffs and supply changes will make it more expensive; argue for that if you like. But as long as the UK can outbid most of the rest of the world, there will be no food shortage.

Remember that world total food production won't be affected by Brexit.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:38 pm

3 years in and people are still disputing supply chain disruption? Really?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 pm

I liked the recent interview with the pro-Brexit boss of Next who was confident that there'd be no disruption from a no-deal Brexit (but has moved his company's imports away from Calais).