Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Cheerful wrote:The wishes of The People in the 2017 GE were that we should not leave without a deal.

And 498 of the MPs that were returned to parliament following that GE , voted to trigger Article 50. That put into law that the uk would leave the EU on 29th March 2019. WITH OR WITHOUT A DEAL.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:What has Ian Hislop said?
That basically the backstop is nonsense. There are loads of laws for Northern Ireland, that they do not share with the rest of the UK. They just pick and chose. E.g. abortion etc.

He’s a remainer but he doesn’t do apolitical bullshit

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 pm

AndrewJB wrote:The people I've called stupid are the politicians who failed to deliver what they promised. Either stupid, or they lied to you.

Anyone can be scammed. The con artist looks for the weaknesses in your character and plays on them. There is no shame in being scammed, just like there is no shame in being mugged or your house broken into. You are the unfortunate victim and it could happen to anyone. What I've been trying to point out with this is how the narrative has changed from being positive about getting a great deal (and how anyone suggesting differently was scaremongering) to now looking at leaving without a deal at all. From having a great relationship with our European partners, to cutting all ties. This is a huge shift.

I've said before that I despised the way Cameron and Osborne campaigned for remain, using fear and negativity. Other remain parties - Greens, Labour, SNP - were a lot more positive.

If we just left the EU, and stayed within the other structures (even if we did this with the eye to cutting more ties in the future) then there would be less disruption, but they've now shifted things to the hardest possible brexit, and the government study shows that this will bring issues. It's hardly alarmist to point this out, and it doesn't make one a conspiracy theorist to wonder why things have been steered this way. The Tories have form for using a crisis to push through unpalatable legislation (austerity?).
When 5 million labour voters, voted Leave in 2016, were they "weak in character" so they were conned?

Yes or No?

When the same 5 million voted Labour voted labour in 2017 , " weak in character " so they were conned?

Yes or No?
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm

elwaclaret wrote:That basically the backstop is nonsense. There are loads of laws for Northern Ireland, that they do not share with the rest of the UK. They just pick and chose. E.g. abortion etc.

He’s a remainer but he doesn’t do apolitical bullshit
Have you got a link please? I like Hislop and enjoy listening to his take on things (agree he isnt full of any sh*t) but Ive searched the internet and cant find any reference of Hislop talking about the backstop.

Nearest thing I could see was an express article by a Brexit Party MEP which matches some of your post and within it the Express linked a story about a 2003 anti EU rant by Hislop coming to light but I assume it cant be this story you are on about?

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Nobody has mentioned cutting all ties, just you.
We'll still trade with the EU just under different terms.
Boris has already said any EU nationals residing and working in Britain are welcome to stay. Any more that are thinking of coming can also come, providing they meet a points style criteria , similar to Australia. You're acting like a typical Remainer exaggerating myths.
Fifty-five areas of co-operation - all of which (except flights for one year) come to an abrupt end on 1st November. This is what I mean by “cutting all ties”

Leaving without a deal is stupid, and a pointless waste of money. It won’t be just the same but trading on different terms. Tariffs will price some firms out of Europe , and increase prices here. As for Johnson allowing EU citizens to stay - how is he going to know who came when? Irish border, and twenty years of peace - yeah whatever, who cares? And what do we get out of it? The “ability to strike trade deals with whomever we wish”? If I were a betting man I’d stake my left nut on us never getting a trade deal as good as the on we have in the EU. Never. And this control we’re “taking back”? It’ll be negotiated away as the government desperately attempts to sign new deals. They’re already laying the groundwork for chlorinated chicken (“ we already have chlorinated water, so why not?” - as though we’re all stupid).

There is a way to honour the referendum result, keep the Good Friday Agreement intact, stay in the 55 areas of co-operation, and not subject our economy to a huge shock. Leave the EU but remain in everything else.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:When 5 million labour voters, voted Leave in 2016, were they "weak in character" so they conned?

Yes or No?

When the same 5 million voted Labour voted labour in 2017 , " weak in character " so they were conned?

Yes or No?
Everyone has weaknesses in their character.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:16 pm

bfcmik wrote:Farage - (when he thought Remain was going to narrowly win): "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way" And so it is.
Rees-Mogg - "We could have 2 referendums. As it happens, it might make more sense to have the second referendum after the negotiation is completed." Pains me to say it but he could be right, you know!
If remain had won 52 to 48, because we were already in the EU, the result would have been implemented immediately. That's democracy.

In a democracy, Nigel Farage would have been quite within his rights , to continue to campaign to leave the EU.

The 2016 referendum has to be implemented, that's democracy. And the europhiles will be quite within their rights to campaign to join the EU, once we've left. That's democracy.

However, anti Democrats like Jo Swinson, have brazenly admitted that if there was a 2nd Peoples Vote, and Leave won a 2nd time. She would still not accept the result!!

And, Mick, why should I, as a leave voter have to have won TWO referenda , for my view to be implemented. Whereas a Remain voter would only have to have won ONE referendum to have their view implemented. ?

How is that democratic or fair?
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Have you got a link please? I like Hislop and enjoy listening to his take on things (agree he isnt full of any sh*t) but Ive searched the internet and cant find any reference of Hislop talking about the backstop.

Nearest thing I could see was an express article by a Brexit Party MEP which matches some of your post and within it the Express linked a story about a 2003 anti EU rant by Hislop coming to light but I assume it cant be this story you are on about?
Can’t do any more than suggest the last weeks Have I Got News for you... sorry can’t even tell you the episode, but it has been shown in the last few days... caught my attention though.
Edit - think it’s a couple of years since first broadcast though.
Last edited by elwaclaret on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Everyone has weaknesses in their character.
That's an answer to a different question Andrew.

I'll try again-

When 5 million labour voters, voted Leave in 2016, were they "weak in character" so they were conned?

Yes or No?

Yes or No?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:23 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Can’t do any more than suggest the last weeks Have I Got News for you... sorry can’t even tell you the episode, but it has been shown in the last few days... caught my attention though.
Edit - think it’s a couple of years since first broadcast though.
Ok sounds very much like that 2003 clip from HIGNFY which is doing the rounds in the media though obviously the Backstop isnt mentioned.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:24 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:The 1975 referendum was to join the Common Market. It has morphed into the European union. But I'll let that go. The 1975 referendum result was implemented. That's democracy.

The 2016 referendum result is yet to be implemented. That's democracy denial.

By all means, campaign for another referendum. But not before the 2016 Peoples Vote is implemented, then campaign to rejoin the EU.
We joined in 73. The 75 referendum was to stay or leave.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Siddo wrote:We joined in 73. The 75 referendum was to stay or leave.
True. The point I was making was ,that the result was actually implemented

The 2016 referendum hasn't.

You could argue that the British People never actually voted to "join" what morphed into the EU. They only actually voted to remain in the Common Market, having already been taken into it. But that's a bit of a side issue to be fair.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Ok sounds very much like that 2003 clip from HIGNFY which is doing the rounds in the media though obviously the Backstop isnt mentioned.
Could be I just saw it was on and better than the alternatives lol

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:True. The point I was making was ,that the result was actually implemented

The 2016 referendum hasn't.

You could argue that the British People never actually voted to "join" what morphed into the EU. They only actually voted to remain in the Common Market, having already been taken into it. But that's a bit of a side issue to be fair.
You could argue that a lot of people in 2016 voted to leave with a deal, as every single politician told them they would get, and an easy, amazing one at that, which has now morphed into the complete absence of any deal with potentially grave ramifications. But that's a bit of a side issue to be fair.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:45 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Could be I just saw it was on and better than the alternatives lol
Could be but probably you saw the express article which is pretty much what your post describes, saw the Hislop link to it and thought the article was based on his comments when really it was not related and was the opinion of a Brexit MEP instead.

We cant be sure but sounds a lot more likely to me

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:48 pm

CombatClaret wrote:You could argue that a lot of people in 2016 voted to leave with a deal, as every single politician told them they would get, and an easy, amazing one at that, which has now morphed into the complete absence of any deal with potentially grave ramifications. But that's a bit of a side issue to be fair.
I fully understand you point, and even have some sympathy for it. This became an issue as soon as May became leader... as long as I live a decision I will never understand. One can only assume they thought it the path of least resistance....

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:11 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:If remain had won 52 to 48, because we were already in the EU, the result would have been implemented immediately. That's democracy.
Well no, it’s the existing position and therefore not ‘implementing the result’ would have been impossible.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Could be but probably you saw the express article which is pretty much what your post describes, saw the Hislop link to it and thought the article was based on his comments when really it was not related and was the opinion of a Brexit MEP instead.

Sounds a bit like the time Elwa saw a documentary (which nobody else appears to have seen) which proved austerity was just a result of the Tories failing to realise that some war debt repayment was due to end.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... &start=629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:And 498 of the MPs that were returned to parliament following that GE , voted to trigger Article 50. That put into law that the uk would leave the EU on 29th March 2019. WITH OR WITHOUT A DEAL.
Yet when it came to the possibility of leaving without a deal on 29th March 2019 the same set of MPs (give or take a few) voted not to so it didn’t happen.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Could be but probably you saw the express article which is pretty much what your post describes, saw the Hislop link to it and thought the article was based on his comments when really it was not related and was the opinion of a Brexit MEP instead.

No I don’t really do scouring the papers, I’m aware of the different views they hold and that is about it. I find journalistic license far to liberally applied to form views based on them, unless they are pointed out for discussion. It was definitely a recently broadcast episode, that I saw.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:24 pm

CombatClaret wrote:You could argue that a lot of people in 2016 voted to leave with a deal, as every single politician told them they would get, and an easy, amazing one at that, which has now morphed into the complete absence of any deal with potentially grave ramifications. But that's a bit of a side issue to be fair.
The tory manifesto said , on page 35 I think . "No deal is better than a bad deal." Every sitting Tory MP was elected on that basis.

498 MPs voted to trigger Article 50. That put into law that the uk would leave the EU on 29th March 2019. WITH OR WITHOUT A DEAL.

Teresa Mays withdrawal Treaty, that's what it is, has been rejected by parliament three times.

Consequently, we should leave on 31st of October with or without a deal.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Greenmile wrote:Sounds a bit like the time Elwa saw a documentary (which nobody else appears to have seen) which proved austerity was just a result of the Tories failing to realise that some war debt repayment was due to end.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... &start=629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don’t see the relevance... and I’ve attempted to provide a reference when asked. But if you feel superior good for you, old boy.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 pm

martin_p wrote:Well no, it’s the existing position and therefore not ‘implementing the result’ would have been impossible.
Pure pedantry.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Don’t see the relevance... and I’ve attempted to provide a reference when asked. But if you feel superior good for you, old boy.
The relevance is that there appear to be two TV shows you’ve dreamed about and mistaken for reality, which you’ve then come on here to tell everyone about whilst being singularly unable to link to any supporting evidence for the existence of said shows.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:31 pm

martin_p wrote:Yet when it came to the possibility of leaving without a deal on 29th March 2019 the same set of MPs (give or take a few) voted not to so it didn’t happen.
And when the EU looks at that, it emboldens their intransigence and makes their willingness to having a mutually beneficial trade deal even less likely.

Who needs negotiators on the EU side, when you've got treasonous, duplicitous, democracy denying snakes in parliament eh!?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Greenmile wrote:The relevance is that there appear to be two TV shows you’ve dreamed about and mistaken for reality, which you’ve then come on here to tell everyone about whilst being singularly unable to link to any supporting evidence for the existence of said shows.
...and you reference everything you say on a message board? I watched a programme, when asked referenced it as broadcast probably on the BBC in the last week.... hence available on I-player or Dave at worst. I see no reason to reference any further, but then neither do you because you already know better, so... happy days

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 pm

elwaclaret wrote:...and you reference everything you say on a message board? I watched a programme, when asked referenced it as broadcast probably on the BBC in the last week.... hence available on I-player or Dave at worst. I see no reason to reference any further, but then neither do you because you already know better, so... happy days
Yet the only thing a Google search brings up is the clip DA references which is from 2003 and doesn’t mention the backstop, so why did you claim that he said ...
elwaclaret wrote:That basically the backstop is nonsense...

Either you imagined he said that, or you’re just making it up. Just like the weird war debt repayment thing you were adamant you’d seen.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Greenmile wrote:Yet the only thing a Google search brings up is the clip DA references which is from 2003 and doesn’t mention the backstop, so why did you claim that he said ...

Either you imagined he said that, or you’re just making it up. Just like the weird war debt repayment thing you were adamant you’d seen.
Ok...

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Ok...
Ok you imagined it, or ok you lied?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Greenmile wrote:Ok you imagined it, or ok you lied?
Ok. You mean nothing more to me than a name on a message board to me, yet you expect me to spend my evening researching something I commented on chat room / messageboard? Out of courtesy I recollected to the best of my ability where I’d seen it. If you would like my professional research rate you will find I’m competitive, though warn you my specialism is historical rather than political research.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Ok. You mean nothing more to me than a name on a message board to me, yet you expect me to spend my evening researching something I commented on chat room / messageboard? Out of courtesy I recollected to the best of my ability where I’d seen it. If you would like my professional research rate you will find I’m competitive, though warn you my specialism is historical rather than political research.
Thems are the rules as laid out by the Turtle himself.

No links = you've lied :lol:

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Ok. You mean nothing more to me than a name on a message board to me, yet you expect me to spend my evening researching something I commented on chat room / messageboard? Out of courtesy I recollected to the best of my ability where I’d seen it. If you would like my professional research rate you will find I’m competitive, though warn you my specialism is historical rather than political research.
You made it up didn’t you? Why would a recent episode of hignfy not come up on a Google search? I don’t need to pay you anything to type “Ian Hislop Brexit backstop” into Google.

Why not just admit you misremembered or weren’t watching properly? You’d look a lot less stupid if you did - much like the last time you made up a documentary you’d seen (which nobody else saw and couldn’t be found on the internet either).

All I expect of you or anyone else on here is not to lie about stuff, or to accept that you will be pulled up as and when you do

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Thems are the rules as laid out by the Turtle himself.

No evidence on the entire internet + unwilling to countenance the idea you might be mistaken = you’ve lied.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Thems are the rules as laid out by the Turtle himself.

:D I alright, cos I’ve nothing better to do than lie about politics on a football... nay Burnley fan site... :shock:
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Greenmile wrote:No evidence on the entire internet + unwilling to countenance the idea you might be mistaken = you’ve lied.
Unfortunately not every interview I hear on the radio or see on TV leaves a trail on the internet, so I've just found it easier not to mention them on here, it ain't worth the aggro of being called varying names.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm

elwaclaret wrote::D I alright, cos I’ve nothing better to do than lie about politics on a football... nay Burnley fan site... :shock:
Here are a couple of links to prove the truth of this statement

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... tart=10900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Greenmile wrote:You made it up didn’t you? Why would a recent episode of hignfy not come up on a Google search? I don’t need to pay you anything to type “Ian Hislop Brexit backstop” into Google.

Why not just admit you misremembered or weren’t watching properly? You’d look a lot less stupid if you did - much like the last time you made up a documentary you’d seen (which nobody else saw and couldn’t be found on the internet either).

All I expect of you or anyone else on here is not to lie about stuff, or to accept that you will be pulled up as and when you do
I think Wrongo would call this ‘pedantry’, in Wrongo speak ‘the facts not backing up my view’. Although i’ll probably get pulled up for pedantry for pointing out the incorrect use of the word ‘pedantry’.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:16 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Unfortunately not every interview I hear on the radio or see on TV leaves a trail on the internet, so I've just found it easier not to mention them on here, it ain't worth the aggro of being called varying names.
If you can’t find a clip from a recent BBC programme where someone is talking about Brexit, or the fact that austerity was solely the result of an accounting error, then you might want to try this cool new site I’ve found called Google.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Greenmile wrote:Here are a couple of links to prove the truth of this statement

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... tart=10900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don’t know how else to say it... ok.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Do they keep a full transcript of all TV programmes on Google, or just quotes related to Brexit?

Just wondering so as to point rows in the right direction.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Do they keep a full transcript of all TV programmes on Google, or just quotes related to Brexit?

Just wondering.
You can get video on the internet nowadays. Happy to help.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Don’t know how else to say it... ok.
Ok you’ve nothing better to do than lie about politics on a football... nay Burnley fan site?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Maybe elwa is suffering from a particularly localised version of the Mandela effect

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mandela_effect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Do they keep a full transcript of all TV programmes on Google, or just quotes related to Brexit?

Rest assured, any quote from an avowed remainer that supports a Brexiteer position will be on the Internet in seconds and there forever. The same will be true with positions reversed.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 pm

I’d look at recent Have I Got (old) News for you, recently shown. Think that would be easiliest, and entertaining too.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Greenmile wrote:You can get video on the internet nowadays. Happy to help.
So he just needs to sit through all the episodes of HIGNFY to find the correct episode just to appease you?

Is that you admitting you’ve made a mistake when referring him to google or have you lied?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:27 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I’d look at recent Have I Got (old) News for you, recently shown. Think that would be easiliest, and entertaining too.
Or read the Express and pretend that Hislop said what some Brexit MEP has written.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Darthlaw wrote:So he just needs to sit through all the episodes of HIGNFY to find the correct episode just to appease you?

Is that you admitting you’ve made a mistake when referring him to google or have you lied?
No. He just needs to do what I did and Google “Ian Hislop Brexit backstop”. It’s really not difficult. Google links to videos as well as text.

Happy to help.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 pm

Greenmile wrote:If you can’t find a clip from a recent BBC programme where someone is talking about Brexit, or the fact that austerity was solely the result of an accounting error, then you might want to try this cool new site I’ve found called Google.
Ok so in that case the interview I heard on 5live today about the person with 9 personalities isn't online as yet and yeah I've had a quick look because I've posted about it..

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Greenmile wrote:Or read the Express and pretend that Hislop said what some Brexit MEP has written.
Assumption.... Ah that explains a lot. I cannot remember the last time I saw an Express, and I have never once visited their site other than through a link on here.

Just when you thought you were doing so well too...