Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by Mala591 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:37 am

Labour MPs seem to be genuinely appalled at the prospect of a no-deal Brexit and yet they are responsible (along with the ERG tories) for rejecting the (relatively soft) withdrawal agreement.

Probably too late for them to persuade Boris to give them one last chance to support a negotiated exit but I have a feeling that this option isn't quite as dead as some might think.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:39 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Why does it have to be one or the other? Do you not understand even slightly how these things work?
An agreement has been made to cover the first 12 months. One assumes that it will either be rolled over or a new agreement will be made beyond this. Flights can't take place without it. It would be too dangerous. That should be obvious.
Presumably you do understand from a safety point of view why we have to have joint protocols with the EU and the rest of the world in order to regulate air travel and minimise the risk of incidents?
Of course I do, but you presume that those protocols will be ripped up otherwise why even mention it.
All of the problems you raise could have been answered by now if it wasnt for May and the rest of the Remainers in cabinet, trying to undermine the vote to leave.
Boris, love him or hate him, has done more in 4 weeks to prepare this country for Brexit, than May did in 3 years.
All the points of joint interest could have been addressed and either agreed to maintain, tweaked or scrapped accordingly.
People, or Remainers ask, well what have they done to us that's so bad, and the answer is not a lot, so it should be easy to agree and maintain the vast majority of your 54 links. Where the EU is bad, is taking more and more of Westminsters power away and putting it in the hands of people in Brussels who we didn't select.
The Red Lines are still there. That doesn't mean we dont want to cooperate with the EU, it does mean that we have a voice to sit at the table with the 26's representatives and have our say, instead of being one of the 27 and having little to no say.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:Of course I do, but you presume that those protocols will be ripped up otherwise why even mention it.
It's not an assumption. It's a fact.
If you cancel, (or walk out of) or whatever you want to call it a treaty (which effectively our membership of the EU is), then it no longer exists. This is what happens on Nov 1st if we fail to agree on anything.
In a "no deal" scenario we cancel everything, and as I pointed out, the only thing that we currently have in place in binding terms is an interim agreement to keep planes flying that satisfies those who fly the planes that everything will continue safely as before.
I haven't said that this can't be rolled over or renegotiated after 12 months, but we have to do this in all the other 54 areas to a greater or lesser degree.
Obviously if we just roll them all over, then we've no brexit, so each of them has to be looked at negotiated and agreed.
It's really such a simple thing to understand that I can't believe that you have come back on the thread challenging me on this again.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:55 pm

What are the 55 areas? Presumably they're listed somewhere on t'net, but I can't find them.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Greenmile wrote:You’re not criticising Brexit there - you’re criticising the handling of Brexit, which is something even the most one-eyed brexiter would do.
Ok :roll:

You want me to criticise something that I don't have much of an issue happening, nor do I have much of an issue if it doesn't happen.

Problem there is it isn't really very central to my life because, as I've said before, little has changed and long term little will change.
There may be some short term changes but things never stay the same.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:It's not an assumption. It's a fact.
If you cancel, (or walk out of) or whatever you want to call it a treaty (which effectively our membership of the EU is), then it no longer exists. This is what happens on Nov 1st if we fail to agree on anything.
In a "no deal" scenario we cancel everything, and as I pointed out, the only thing that we currently have in place in binding terms is an interim agreement to keep planes flying that satisfies those who fly the planes that everything will continue safely as before.
I haven't said that this can't be rolled over or renegotiated after 12 months, but we have to do this in all the other 54 areas to a greater or lesser degree.
Obviously if we just roll them all over, then we've no brexit, so each of them has to be looked at negotiated and agreed.
It's really such a simple thing to understand that I can't believe that you have come back on the thread challenging me on this again.
I'm challenging you because you painted a picture whereby we would no longer be able to fly into Europe. I would eat donkey **** on the moon if that happened. Now you say it can be rolled over or renegotiated, which it patently, obviously will be.
You're just another remainer wanting to believe the worst, when common sense says you're wrong. Not wrong with your idea that it needs sorting, but definitely wrong in suggesting it wont be.

Accentuate the negative, eliminate the positive.
It's a theme that's been running through the remain campaign from day one.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Ok :roll:

You want me to criticise something that I don't have much of an issue happening, nor do I have much of an issue if it doesn't happen.
I don’t want you to do anything. I’m just pointing out that the post you implied was criticising Brexit was doing nothing of the sort.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I'm challenging you because you painted a picture whereby we would no longer be able to fly into Europe.
No he didn’t, he specifically said that that probably wouldn’t happen!
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile nil_desperandum

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Greenmile wrote:I don’t want you to do anything. I’m just pointing out that the post you implied was criticising Brexit was doing nothing of the sort.
Ok, well I'll wait until it happens so I can find something about it to complain about, that's what you're wanting me to do.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Ok, well I'll wait until it happens so I can find something about it to complain about, that's what you're wanting me to do.
The post you’ve quoted literally says I don’t want you to do anything. What are you trying to achieve by misrepresenting what I say like this?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 pm

martin_p wrote:No he didn’t, he specifically said that that probably wouldn’t happen!
I’m beginning to think brexiters actually see different words from everyone else when they read some of the posts on here. I’m struggling to think of a better explanation.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:43 pm

STOP BULLYING THEM

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:03 pm

Greenmile wrote:The post you’ve quoted literally says I don’t want you to do anything. What are you trying to achieve by misrepresenting what I say like this?
I can't be arsed, you're clearly on a wind up.

We can reconvene when Brexit happens and the dust has settled.
That's the time to decide what there is to criticise, not beforehand.

Have fun stressing about it :lol:

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:09 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I'm challenging you because you painted a picture whereby we would no longer be able to fly into Europe. I would eat donkey **** on the moon if that happened. Now you say it can be rolled over or renegotiated, which it patently, obviously will be.
You're just another remainer wanting to believe the worst, when common sense says you're wrong. Not wrong with your idea that it needs sorting, but definitely wrong in suggesting it wont be.

Accentuate the negative, eliminate the positive.
It's a theme that's been running through the remain campaign from day one.
Others have already pulled you up on this, but - out of interest, why do you persist in the false claim that I said planes wouldn't fly post Oct 31st in the event of "No deal", when this - in fact - is exactly the opposite of what I actually did write (presumably in post 11018)?
I specifically said that this was the ONLY area in which we actually have a binding agreement, albeit an interim one. (Interim I assume until we actually finally leave the EU and make a more permanent treaty).
It's currently just about the only thing that we can be certain about. So why do you keep coming back with the same nonsense?
"Not wrong with your idea that it needs sorting, but definitely wrong in suggesting it wont be."

I never made any such suggestion, in fact I said the opposite, and if there was any doubt I clarified it in later posts -11024, 11025 and 11027.
Last edited by nil_desperandum on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm

There's a certain irony about todays wonderful Brexit news

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Others have already pulled you up on this, but - out of interest, why do you persist in the false claim that I said planes wouldn't fly post Oct 31st in the event of "No deal", when this - in fact - is exactly the opposite of what I actually did write (presumably in post 11018)?
I specifically said that this was the ONLY area in which we actually have a binding agreement, albeit an interim one. (Interim I assume until we actually finally leave the EU and make a more permanent treaty).
It's currently just about the only thing that we can be certain about. So why do you keep coming back with the same nonsense?

I never made any such suggestion, in fact I said the opposite, and if there was any doubt I clarified it in later posts -11024, 11025 and 11027.
It wasnt the way I read it nils, but I accept it was my mistake, so apologies.
I still believe you look for the downside of everything Brexit, without looking for any positives, but I dont hold that against anyone, it's just a difference of opinion.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 pm

On the ballot paper brexiteers saw the word 'LEAVE', you saw the word 'REMAIN'
The word' LEAVE' was seen by most. Surely there is a message for you there.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Elizabeth wrote:On the ballot paper brexiteers saw the word 'LEAVE', you saw the word 'REMAIN'
The word' LEAVE' was seen by most. Surely there is a message for you there.
That there was a batch of dodgy ballot papers?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:38 pm

You post like one of those fed up supporters you hear going off after a close defeat, complaining about the ref and bad luck.
Of course all the complaining in the world won't change the fact that you were supporting the losing team. The opponents got the 3 points and nothing will change that. Nothing.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Elizabeth wrote:You post like one of those fed up supporters you hear going off after a close defeat, complaining about the ref and bad luck.
Of course all the complaining in the world won't change the fact that you were supporting the losing team. The opponents got the 3 points and nothing will change that. Nothing.
You post like someone with no sense of humour Wrongo.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:42 pm

You are never far away when I post so I can quite categorically recall you are never trying to be humorous

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:50 pm

AndrewJB wrote:You did this on the Owen Jones thread - attributed an incorrect meaning and motive to what I wrote, and proceeded to call me names over it.

So let's take this back to where I said; conmen look for the weakness in your character, and exploit it. What I meant by this is everybody has a vulnerability, and I'll go further to say that even people with the very highest of characters will have one virtue that stands out as only rating an eight, while all the rest are nines and tens. Nowhere have I said anyone has "a weak character" :lol:

If you want to understand my analogy about us being conned, think of it as the country as a whole. All the promises made by leave that have turned out to be bullshit, and now we've voted for leave they're insisting that just leaving the EU isn't good enough. Now we have to have the hardest possible exit. First they get you to make that initial investment (voting to leave - because we'll get a great deal, and if we don't we'll border Syria and Iraq, etc), and now if we don't want to lose that initial investment, we have to invest even more (a no deal exit). Do you follow? I'll accept "maybe" or "kinda".

:lol:

Dancing on a pinhead - "weak in character" as to the entirely different " weakness in your character"! Come of it Andrew, that's embarrassing! :lol:

So first you want to attempt to back track from implying leave voters were stupid, by saying they only were "weak in character" ! Now you want to backtrack from saying they were only "weak in character " if they were labour Leave voters , only when they voted Leave not when they voted Labour.!!

And this is your new attempt at explaining your contradiction-

Well ,conveniently for you, quite clearly, when they voted Leave vote they were conned. By "conmen who were looking for weakness in their character". (Its really cos they disagree with you!)

Whereas, when they voted Labour, presumably, they simply believed what, high minded, honorable and trustworthy people were telling them!!! ( thats because they agree with you!)

The leader of the labour party has been a brexiteer all his political life.

By your logic, that means Corbyn must be a high minded, honorable and trustworthy conman!!!

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:52 pm

You need to make it less obvious Wrongo, just 8 minutes behind your alter ego!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote::lol:

Dancing on a pinhead - "weak in character" as to the entirely different " weakness in your character"! Come of it Andrew, that's embarrassing! :lol:

So first you want to attempt to back track from implying leave voters were stupid, by saying they only were "weak in character" ! Now you want to backtrack from saying they were only "weak in character " if they were labour Leave voters , only when they voted Leave not when they voted Labour.!!

Well ,conveniently for you, quite clearly, when they voted Leave vote they were conned. By "conmen who were looking for weakness in their character". (Its really cos they disagree with you!)

Whereas, when they voted Labour, presumably, they simply believed what, high minded, honorable and trustworthy people were telling them!!! ( thats because they agree with you!)

By your logic, that means Corbyn must be a high minded, honorable and trustworthy conman!!!
I took my glasses off to read this post and its the most sense Ringo has made in years

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote::lol:

Why do you think people voting Labour at the last election were conned?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Elizabeth wrote:You post like one of those fed up supporters you hear going off after a close defeat, complaining about the ref and bad luck.
RingoMcCartney wrote:You predict that you'll never accept the result of the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed.

You, and people like you , are just like the guy in the pub after the game where a ref awarded a penalty that you didn't agree with. Whining on relentlessly, boring the life our of everybody else who has simply accepted the result and want to move on.

DEMOCRACY- IT MEANS SOMETIMES, YOU LOSE
Which ever of you weirdos has the time or inclination to create a tribute act , it really is about time your retired them/you.

Just sad.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:01 pm

martin_p wrote:You need to make it less obvious Wrongo, just 8 minutes behind your alter ego!
:roll:

Sad......

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 pm

martin_p wrote:Why do you think people voting Labour at the last election were conned?
Where did I say that Marty?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:04 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Which ever of you weirdos has the time or inclination to create a tribute act , it really is about time your retired them/you.

Just sad.
My favourite bit is how your ‘tribute act’ consistently predicts when you’re about to post and gets in a few minutes before you.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I took my glasses off to read this post and its the most sense Ringo has made in years
Then you need to take your glasses off more often.

Shouldn't have gone to specsavers......

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:09 pm

martin_p wrote:My favourite bit is how your ‘tribute act’ consistently predicts when you’re about to post and gets in a few minutes before you.
Its almost as if somebody has noticed I'm around at this time of the evening and spotted I'd logged on , and they got into "character" quick style! Weren't quick enough the rest of the time I've been on earlier this week eh!

Monday's and Tuesday's must not be a good day for "consistently predicting" eh Marty!?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:21 pm

I bid all goodnight.

As Oscar Wilde once is reported to have despaired 'There is no sin except stupidity`

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:33 pm

Toodle pip Marty.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:15 am

You couldn't make it up.
Martin with a little 'm' thinks I'm Ringo.
Ringo thinks I'm Martin with a little 'm'

While these 2 posters have the anonymity of the Internet on Uptheclarets to protect them, they must actually be people you might come across in the street. That is scary

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 am

The latest meetings just show that the EU is basically Germany and France who will dictate what happens . I note the PM hasn't visited any other leaders.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:16 am

bfcjg wrote:The latest meetings just show that the EU is basically Germany and France who will dictate what happens . I note the PM hasn't visited any other leaders.
Maybe it's because France and Germany, (along with ourselves) are by far the biggest net contributors to the EU budget, and are the countries who would be most adversely affected by a "no deal" brexit. They're currently at the "top table" along with us. He needs to get some agreement with them.
Germany in fact contributes more than 19 of the smaller economies put together.
Additionally most of these other countries export less to us than we do to them, so they will be relatively unscathed if there's no free trade deal.
Maybe it's also because France and Germany will be at the G7 this week, (admittedly along with Italy).
You may not have noticed, but Johnson has only a few weeks to deliver on some wild promises, so why would he waste his days jetting off to Estonia and Slovakia?

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:55 pm

The con goes on. Hilarious to read what rightwing newspapers claim Merkel and Macron have said, and what they actually said.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:12 pm

There are many words to describe this Brexit farce but I don't think 'hilarious' is one that the vast majority of the public would support.
It is generally accepted by those who may matter in Parliament that Johnson may be worth supporting for longer that some predicted, following his visit to Merkel and Macron.
Will be interesting how the MPs who want to thwart Brexit react to Johnson not being rejected in Germany and France.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:14 pm

AndrewJB wrote:The con goes on. Hilarious to read what rightwing newspapers claim Merkel and Macron have said, and what they actually said.
They know their audience. Thick *****.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Elizabeth wrote:There are many words to describe this Brexit farce but I don't think 'hilarious' is one that the vast majority of the public would support.
It is generally accepted by those who may matter in Parliament that Johnson may be worth supporting for longer that some predicted, following his visit to Merkel and Macron.
Will be interesting how the MPs who want to thwart Brexit react to Johnson not being rejected in Germany and France.
A correction: “hilarious to read” (what I wrote) newspapers lying, isn’t the same as finding the whole Brexit farce, and all the related pain hilarious.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Elizabeth wrote: Will be interesting how the MPs who want to thwart Brexit react to Johnson not being rejected in Germany and France.
Why would they reject him?
They're serious, intelligent, pragmatic politicians who have their eye on the ball. They've essentially given him a month to come up with a solution to the Irish border issue and therefore remove the need for the backstop.
Johnson's problem is that in 3 years we haven't come up with anything credible or workable, and there's nothing new on the horizon. Nothing's changed from the EU perspective, and now they've firmly put the ball into Johnson's court. Let's not forget that his solution to this a couple of years ago was something akin to the London Oyster Card system, and even his own party mocked him for that.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 pm

History reveals that many successful people were mocked and rejected beforehand.

Let me ask you a question.

If Johnson gets the withdrawal deal changed and passed by Parliament will you consider him successful?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 pm

These same serious, intelligent, pragmatic politicians who have their eye on the ball didn't give May the same respect as Johnson has received this week, at any time over the period you refer to.

I believe that was because they never believed May was serious about leaving without a deal. They know Johnson is serious.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:53 am

Elizabeth wrote:History reveals that many successful people were mocked and rejected beforehand.
Like who?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:54 am

Elizabeth wrote:These same serious, intelligent, pragmatic politicians who have their eye on the ball didn't give May the same respect as Johnson has received this week, at any time over the period you refer to.

I believe that was because they never believed May was serious about leaving without a deal. They know Johnson is serious.
What have they given Johnson they didn’t give May? May was given lots of time to come up with a backstop alternative.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:02 am

You don't have much knowledge of how many successful people in life have had to overcome people like you and those much better than you to have to ask that question do you?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:14 am

As you don't see any significance in Johnson's dealings with Merkel and Macron this week ,the same question I asked last night is put to you.
If Johnson gets changes to the Withdrawal Agreement which are accepted by Parliament, will you regard him as successful?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:16 am

11096....Elizabeth the first
11097....Elizabeth the second.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:28 am

Elizabeth wrote:You don't have much knowledge of how many successful people in life have had to overcome people like you and those much better than you to have to ask that question do you?
And you don’t have an answer to my question. Name one, in the political sphere. You said there were many.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:29 am

Elizabeth wrote:As you don't see any significance in Johnson's dealings with Merkel and Macron this week ,the same question I asked last night is put to you.
If Johnson gets changes to the Withdrawal Agreement which are accepted by Parliament, will you regard him as successful?
If it isn’t just a re-skinned May deal and it gets through Parliament then yes.