Brexit: Uniting the Country Since 31/01/2020

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Brexit: The Naked Truth

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Greenmile wrote:Did many of the major media outlets actually call it “illegal”? Genuine question. A quick Google search only throws up one example (from “business insider” - I can’t say I’ve heard of them tbh)

(At the risk of adding grist to Kate’s mill, I believe I made that mistake myself, until you (maybe someone else) pointed it out, whereupon I corrected myself)
You did, on this very forum and I pointed out you'd gotten it wrong.
I think you apologized for the error when it was pointed out.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4263 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm

KateR wrote:To answer the other point, saying you'll kill a loved one, when they do something wrong, that's not really lying is it when in fact we don't kill said person?

Saying we'll leave by 31 Oct, do or die, I mean come one that doesn't really mean he will die/kill himself does it? However you will be on the front lines shouting about this lie when a GE comes around wont you? You will use it over and over again to try and prove you're point around he is untrustworthy, you could be right, but you are clearly in the same bracket aren't you?
Nope. I wouldnt use Boris’ failure to leave the EU by 31 Oct as evidence that he’s a liar - there’s plenty of other proof of that. I’ll just use it as evidence that he’s incompetent.

By way of analogy, you could use my Rambo mistake as evidence that I don’t know much about the oeuvre of Sylvester Stallone, but it would be disingenuous at best to use it as evidence that I’m a liar.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You did, on this very forum and I pointed out you'd gotten it wrong.
I think you apologized for the error when it was pointed out.
I suspect I probably did - that’s what an honest person would do if they realised they’d made a mistake.

I’d be surprised if many major media outlets made the same mistake though - they’re supposed to be better informed than the likes of me.

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Greenmile wrote:Did many of the major media outlets actually call it “illegal”? Genuine question. A quick Google search only throws up one example (from “business insider” - I can’t say I’ve heard of them tbh)

(At the risk of adding grist to Kate’s mill, I believe I made that mistake myself, until you (maybe someone else) pointed it out, whereupon I corrected myself)

Many on here (and I say this from memory so it's not a fact and no I wont check) said it was illegal and BJ was found guilty of lying not only to parliament but also to the Queen, neither were proven true but I have gone through that discussion numerous times and in reality it is behind us, no matter what anyone's thoughts are.

Which reminds we that we have the discussions and vote tomorrow around the Queens speech tomorrow I believe, more fun to look forward to :)

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:21 pm

KateR wrote:NO I am most definitely not, it's my perception

I see you did not highlight the "first" in your link did you, another misdirection that failed, the first Rambo if I remember was probably before you were born and was written and filmed as a movie about how poorly US Vet's were treated by the US population on there return home from a war most didn't want.
I searched my posts for the word “Rambo”. That’s why that word is highlighted. I don’t think searching for the word “first” would have worked.

I’m going to assume you didn’t know that, and therefore your accusation of “misdirection” is not a lie, but a mistake - do you see how this works?

I’ve never seen any of the Rambo films, but I think your summary is about right from what I’ve read. I’m not sure how that turned my interesting fact into an attempt to support any kind of argument you seem to think I was making, though.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:23 pm

KateR wrote:Many on here (and I say this from memory so it's not a fact and no I wont check) said it was illegal...
Correct. I was one of them. My point is that (perhaps naively) I expect more accuracy and fact-checking from major media outlets than from folk (including myself) posting on a messageboard .

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 pm

Greenmile wrote:I searched my posts for the word “Rambo”. That’s why that word is highlighted. I don’t think searching for the word “first” would have worked.

I’m going to assume you didn’t know that, and therefore your accusation of “misdirection” is not a lie, but a mistake - do you see how this works?

I’ve never seen any of the Rambo films, but I think your summary is about right from what I’ve read. I’m not sure how that turned my interesting fact into an attempt to support any kind of argument you seem to think I was making, though.

I definitely did not know that about the highlight, and I sincerely apologies about the misdirection, I was wrong.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I suppose it's similar to saying the recent prorogation of parliament was illegal when the supreme court actually stated it was unlawful.
Almost like they didn't understand the difference between the two but went ahead and stated it was illegal anyway.
if you are the PM of a country, doing unlawful or illegal things is a really, really, really, really bad look.

Thats what is important here.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:43 pm

martin_p wrote:Well no, I agreed to disagree, I didn’t have time for another circular argument. But if we’re using Hansard the PM’s first response after the programme vote included the words

‘Secondly, however, I will speak to EU member states about their intentions and, until they have reached a decision, we will pause this legislation.’
That quote goes a long way to explain the confusion and, given how people have overreacted, could arguably be put down as a Boris PR gaffe.

I'm not sure I can explain it any better than my posts above. The impression some people have is that parliament could have just carried on debating the bill last night (they could not because the result of the vote put the Bill in limbo so this had nothing to do with Boris's comment or any government decision) and that they could have carried on debating it today. Parliament could potentially have brought back a new timetable motion to enable the bill to be debated today (if passed). But the new timetable would have to go beyond 31 October in order for this parliament to approve it - so how could a Prime Minister propose a timetable beyond 31 October when the law currently says we leave on 31 October? Isn't it obvious he has to wait for the EU? Hence the decision not to try to reactivate the bill yet.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:47 pm

martin_p wrote:You’re right it does make a difference.
oops, productive test! ;)

"does" of course, was originally typed as "doesn't"

You knew that, of course.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm

AndrewJB wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/br ... 29171.html What we could have done ✅ stead.
Parliament has voted to leave the EU. The date of leaving is 31st October. Parliament has repeatedly voted not to agree a deal with the EU, has never voted for any way of leaving the EU other than "no deal", and has given up trying to make any other arrangement. Whether we leave on 31st October or not (ie. in 8 days' time) is entirely dependent on the leaders of the other 27 EU countries unanimously agreeing for us to stay.

And with that going on, there are people criticising the UK government for making preparations? Many of them the same people who have been saying all year that we can't leave because the government hasn't made preparations?

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:07 am

dsr wrote:Parliament has voted to leave the EU. The date of leaving is 31st October. Parliament has repeatedly voted not to agree a deal with the EU, has never voted for any way of leaving the EU other than "no deal", and has given up trying to make any other arrangement. Whether we leave on 31st October or not (ie. in 8 days' time) is entirely dependent on the leaders of the other 27 EU countries unanimously agreeing for us to stay.

And with that going on, there are people criticising the UK government for making preparations? Many of them the same people who have been saying all year that we can't leave because the government hasn't made preparations?
I think the ad campaign is a waste of money. Parliament have done a great job of reining in our duplicitous wannabe dictator.

Here’s Peter Osborne on Johnson’s nefarious practices. https://www.channel4.com/news/peter-obo ... -fake-news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:45 am

AndrewJB wrote:I think the ad campaign is a waste of money. Parliament have done a great job of reining in our duplicitous wannabe dictator.
You mean by making sure there isn't a general election? I'm glad we democrats have Parliament on our side.

The ad campaign may be a waste of money, with hindsight. But since Parliament has voted to leave the EU on 31st October and hasn't yet voted in a deal or been offered an extension, it would be foolish for the government not to prepare. You can criticise the government for stocking up on toilet rolls; you can criticise the government for not stocking up on toilet rolls. But when you criticise the government for both simultaneously, you just come across as someone who is criticising for criticism's sake.

Here's the question. How much should the government have spent in Brexit preparations? If £100m is too much, how much are we talking? Half that? Nothing at all?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:03 am

android wrote:That quote goes a long way to explain the confusion and, given how people have overreacted, could arguably be put down as a Boris PR gaffe.

I'm not sure I can explain it any better than my posts above. The impression some people have is that parliament could have just carried on debating the bill last night (they could not because the result of the vote put the Bill in limbo so this had nothing to do with Boris's comment or any government decision) and that they could have carried on debating it today. Parliament could potentially have brought back a new timetable motion to enable the bill to be debated today (if passed). But the new timetable would have to go beyond 31 October in order for this parliament to approve it - so how could a Prime Minister propose a timetable beyond 31 October when the law currently says we leave on 31 October? Isn't it obvious he has to wait for the EU? Hence the decision not to try to reactivate the bill yet.
Ok, although it’s very confused I’ll concede the point that it would have taken a new programme motion to restart the debate. However, that doesn’t really diminish the point I was making that it was worth continuing with the process of ‘getting Brexit done’ if that is what Johnson is really about. So present a new programme motion on Wednesday allowing maybe three or four weeks for the process. That would likely be passed (it only needed about 10 MPs to change from no to yes). Then you have a date somewhere mid November for passing the bill. That sends a clear message to the EU that we want to get this done, they currently don’t have a clue what our plans are. This would have given more weight to Macron’s arguments who seemingly wants as short an extension as possible and maybe the EU then only offer an extension until the end of November. Suddenly Johnson is in a position where he has the basis for a deal passed its second reading and has a new end date, unfettered by the Benn Bill, with the threat of no deal focussing the mind on getting the bill passed. Yes, he’s missed his do or die deadline, but he’d already had the embarrassment of having to send the letter and for the sake of a one month delay surely he could just suck that up.

But instead he’s taken his ball home, more intent in fostering the ‘people v establishment’ narrative he and his advisers think will win him an election. So you have to conclude this is what this is about, doing what’s best for keeping Boris Johnson in power rather than actually ‘getting Brexit done’.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 am

Its blatant electioneering by Johnson (cheers TP!)

Course, with all this control we now have we are less than a week away from falling off a cliff, and we are absolutely dependent on the EU giving us an extension long enough so we pass this deal or can have an GE/Referendum.

I for one am so impressed at all this control we have over our destiny and our future.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:19 am

I think Johnson's plan is:

Have an election. Win the election with a significant majority. Get Brexit done with the deal he has already got.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:24 am

Mala591 wrote:I think Johnson's plan is:

Have an election. Win the election with a significant majority. Get Brexit done with the deal he has already got.
Of course it is, but there are Tories in his government who are telling him "Johnson, an election might not result in what you want"

Course, Labour are continuing their role as "acceptable Brexit fall guys" by having the same argument when the only chance they will ever have under the Magic Grandpa is winning an election now.

The Tories strategy has been flawed for a while now, but its still light years behind how bad Labours is.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:32 am

dsr wrote:You mean by making sure there isn't a general election? I'm glad we democrats have Parliament on our side.

The ad campaign may be a waste of money, with hindsight. But since Parliament has voted to leave the EU on 31st October and hasn't yet voted in a deal or been offered an extension, it would be foolish for the government not to prepare. You can criticise the government for stocking up on toilet rolls; you can criticise the government for not stocking up on toilet rolls. But when you criticise the government for both simultaneously, you just come across as someone who is criticising for criticism's sake.

Here's the question. How much should the government have spent in Brexit preparations? If £100m is too much, how much are we talking? Half that? Nothing at all?
It’s been explained many times why parliament trusts Johnson so little, they're waiting until the extension has been granted before going ahead with an election. The level of trust in this PM are very low. Being devious, unprincipled, and pigheaded, Johnson is more dangerous to the country than May was. So while there is a real desire to get rid of him, the opposition are acting with caution.

Parliament hasn’t agreed a deal, but then has t had a decent one put in front of it, for all the time the government has had to negotiate.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:41 am

AndrewJB wrote:It’s been explained many times why parliament trusts Johnson so little, they're waiting until the extension has been granted before going ahead with an election. The level of trust in this PM are very low. Being devious, unprincipled, and pigheaded, Johnson is more dangerous to the country than May was. So while there is a real desire to get rid of him, the opposition are acting with caution.

Parliament hasn’t agreed a deal, but then has t had a decent one put in front of it, for all the time the government has had to negotiate.
I know why Parliament won't vote for an election, just as you do. All I'm saying is that many people including yourself are claiming he is or wants to be a dictator, when in fact he is trying to have a general election and Parliament won't let him. Which makes "dictator" epithets pretty daft.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:42 am

There will be new physical checks on goods (certainly agricultural or food based) between NI and GB under this deal

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1187080863323963393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its blatant electioneering by Johnson (cheers TP!)

Course, with all this control we now have we are less than a week away from falling off a cliff, and we are absolutely dependent on the EU giving us an extension long enough so we pass this deal or can have an GE/Referendum.

I for one am so impressed at all this control we have over our destiny and our future.
Johnson may want the EU to deny an extension, but there's no way they'll want to deal the decisive card. Any extension within reason will be accepted and probably be flexible ie a January deadline might be followed by an earlier one of a deal could go through.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:01 am

willsclarets wrote:Johnson may want the EU to deny an extension, but there's no way they'll want to deal the decisive card. Any extension within reason will be accepted and probably be flexible ie a January deadline might be followed by an earlier one of a deal could go through.
Think it has to be election/2nd ref based to get that sort of deal.

I'm not even sure that enough MPs on all sides want an election before a deal, and I'm not even sure that enough MPs on all sides want a deal before an election.

This proper mess is showing no signs of being sorted out, and stuff that seemed pretty sensible at the time (Ie Fixed Parliaments Act) turning out to be complete nightmares when you reach the stage where we are.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:09 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Think it has to be election/2nd ref based to get that sort of deal.

I'm not even sure that enough MPs on all sides want an election before a deal, and I'm not even sure that enough MPs on all sides want a deal before an election.

This proper mess is showing no signs of being sorted out, and stuff that seemed pretty sensible at the time (Ie Fixed Parliaments Act) turning out to be complete nightmares when you reach the stage where we are.
But I think the FTPA has done its job here in that it stopped Johnson unilaterally calling an election that he could have timed to make sure parliament wasn’t sitting during October.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:12 am

Only way out of this mess is a general election.

Free advice to Labour party - stop pretending that you want a customs union Brexit and announce that you are a 100% remain party. Lib Dem vote will be decimated and you might have a chance of another hung parliament.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:18 am

martin_p wrote:But I think the FTPA has done its job here in that it stopped Johnson unilaterally calling an election that he could have timed to make sure parliament wasn’t sitting during October.
Oh, its been largely pro than con but we need to stop pretending that continuing the way we are going is helpful or realistic.

Look, in a GE, its likely that the Conservatives will win, but they might not

In a referendum, its likely that remains wins, but they might not

In a government of National Unity, its likely that it will never get off the ground, but it might

We can't continue like we are though.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:24 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Oh, its been largely pro than con but we need to stop pretending that continuing the way we are going is helpful or realistic.

Look, in a GE, its likely that the Conservatives will win, but they might not

In a referendum, its likely that remains wins, but they might not

In a government of National Unity, its likely that it will never get off the ground, but it might

We can't continue like we are though.
Absolutely agree. But we seem to be leaving the decisions to the EU at the moment. Top quality leadership!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am

martin_p wrote:Absolutely agree. But we seem to be leaving the decisions to the EU at the moment. Top quality leadership!
Taking back control

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:26 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:There will be new physical checks on goods (certainly agricultural or food based) between NI and GB under this deal

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1187080863323963393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We already knew this when the DUP signed up to Boris 2 borders plan.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am

AndyClaret wrote:We already knew this when the DUP signed up to Boris 2 borders plan.
You mean the one they voted against?

Thats not signing up to it.

Essentially its splitting up the UK for the wishes of the English majority, which is why its going down like a bucket of cold sick in NI (and increasing the demands in Scotland for similar stuff)

It would have been anathema to the ERG and Johnson before they came to power as well.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am

Mala591 wrote:Only way out of this mess is a general election.

Free advice to Labour party - stop pretending that you want a customs union Brexit and announce that you are a 100% remain party. Lib Dem vote will be decimated and you might have a chance of another hung parliament.
But seriously, what guarantee is there that a GE will resolve this?
We may well end up with numbers pretty much as they are now. Who knows, especially as it will be dominated by brexit and tactical voting rather than necessarily voting for the party whose policies they generally support.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am

AndyClaret wrote:We already knew this when the DUP signed up to Boris 2 borders plan.
You need to tell Johnson and his government then, they continue to insist there will be no checks.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 am

Possibilities that such documentation might be unnecessary, which would certainly help Johnsons bill

https://twitter.com/RaoulRuparel/status ... 8131775491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only caveat I have with this is that I'm only seeing this blokes opinion on this backing this, none of the other trade bods agree with it.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 am

And Government confirm there is checks

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/stat ... 7081205763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:47 am

dsr wrote:I know why Parliament won't vote for an election, just as you do. All I'm saying is that many people including yourself are claiming he is or wants to be a dictator, when in fact he is trying to have a general election and Parliament won't let him. Which makes "dictator" epithets pretty daft.
The devil can cite scripture for his purpose. I can’t say he is or wants to be a dictator, but he’s acting like one.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:You mean the one they voted against?

Thats not signing up to it.

Essentially its splitting up the UK for the wishes of the English majority, which is why its going down like a bucket of cold sick in NI (and increasing the demands in Scotland for similar stuff)

It would have been anathema to the ERG and Johnson before they came to power as well.
No, Boris original plan.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:50 am

AndyClaret wrote:No, Boris original plan.
Is that the one agreed with the EU?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:54 am

The 2 groups:

1. Boris and Cummings want an election - they are bold and optimistic, and believe Labour voters in the blue collar areas would turn to them to get Brexit. They probably also think that if it goes wrong and Corbyn gets in, they have a second chance for Brexit in a second referendum (one I feel would be an easy one to win, on the "tell them again" and "people vs establishment" platform). Now Boris has a deal it would have to be on the ballot paper, that is the big game changer, even if a Corbyn government sticks a customs union on it too. We have to remember most of us post on this thread because we like politics - that is rare, so we are untypical.

2. The bulk of Tory MPs don't want an election first - they are fearful for their jobs, and naturally cautious. They would rather Brexit first by compromising over the length of the debate, even if this risks wrecking amendments.

My view is that the key to this is Farage - he is the only risk to Boris. I feel blue collar workers, of the type many of us know well, would vote for Farage and like Boris but still won't bring themselves to vote Conservative. If he is pursuing the "Boris has sold us out" message, that will resonate and my sense is that Tory MPs are right in this instance, we should get Brexit first to shoot the Farage fox, and hope blue collar voters still vote Tory afterwards as a thank you and a hope that infrastructure investment and the living wage hike follows.

Boris as we know is a born seducer, and has just done an amazing thing - he has united the Conservative Party over Europe. 100% of current Tory MPs voted for his timetabling and 2nd reading (just a few of the expelled ones didn't). I am sensing that unity this week in PMQs and the bill debate, he can probably get Brexit done before an election.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:01 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

My view is that the key to this is Farage - he is the only risk to Boris. I feel blue collar workers, of the type many of us know well, would vote for Farage and like Boris but still won't bring themselves to vote Conservative. If he is pursuing the "Boris has sold us out" message, that will resonate and my sense is that Tory MPs are right in this instance, we should get Brexit first to shoot the Farage fox, and hope blue collar voters still vote Tory afterwards as a thank you and a hope that infrastructure investment and the living wage hike follows.

Boris as we know is a born seducer, and has just done an amazing thing - he has united the Conservative Party over Europe. 100% of current Tory MPs voted for his timetabling and 2nd reading (just a few of the expelled ones didn't). I am sensing that unity this week in PMQs and the bill debate, he can probably get Brexit done before an election.
Farage vote has collapsed amongst Tory voters (down by 3/4th)

If he isn't attracting Tory voters, he's not a threat to Johnson. I'm pretty sure the only people worrying about Farage now with the current Tory position is Farage and the members of his Brexit Party ie how to avoid becoming completely irrelevant after Brexit

Johnson has only united the tories by forcing out all those who don't agree with him.

He's fully entitled to do that as the leader if he wants, but lets not pretend thats not going to alienate more moderate MPs and members.

That could hurt him in marginals, and that is where his strategy might blow up in his face.

he wouldn't be even close to getting this far if the main opposition party was even vaguely competent.

I fully agree with the point about the majority not being political savvy, and that might actually work against Johnson in an election campaign as the stuff he's actually done and would be highlighted a lot more in an GE.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:04 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:And Government confirm there is checks

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/stat ... 7081205763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The UK does not therefore intend to carry out checks on such movement of goods".

Doesn't that mean the government is confirming there will not be checks?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:09 am

dsr wrote:"The UK does not therefore intend to carry out checks on such movement of goods".

Doesn't that mean the government is confirming there will not be checks?
They’re using semantics to try and bury the fact by calling them ‘administrative procedures’. What’s filling in a form on the goods you are sending if not a ‘check’? If it’s not a check what’s the point of the form?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:12 am

Martin beat me to it.

Why acknowledge facts when you can engage in semantics eh dsr?

Three years of this has changed my opinion of you quite a lot.

Anyway, disagreements with trade bods on whether they need checks, proper checks, administrative checks, or whatever dsr wants to call them but they are still checks.

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status ... 0456317953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 am

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/stat ... 1815628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

George Osborne slaps down the Conservatives about whether the deal passed parliament or not.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:33 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Is that the one agreed with the EU?
No, but it's the one the DUP agreed to, which shows they are crying wolf now.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 am

martin_p wrote:They’re using semantics to try and bury the fact by calling them ‘administrative procedures’. What’s filling in a form on the goods you are sending if not a ‘check’? If it’s not a check what’s the point of the form?
And you're using semantics by calling them "checks". The recurrent complaint (one of many) about Brexit is that it would introduce a "hard border" in Ireland. There was never any complain that then, as now, you would have to fill in paperwork for every goods movement between the two parts of Ireland, because paperwork wasn't considered to be a "hard border".

I have said all along that using computer analysis of paper trails could be used to replace or at least partly replace the amount of physical checking at a border. This has been routinely sneered at by Lancaster in particular, and I dare say by you as well, as not being a valid check. Now suddenly, when you want to argue the other way, a Customs & Excise form becomes a check?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 am

AndyClaret wrote:No, but it's the one the DUP agreed to, which shows they are crying wolf now.
In what way?

The deal changed massively overnight from one the DUP agreed with to one they didn't.

I mean, its was widely reported at the time as a big change, and wrongly reported "by a source" that the DUP had agreed to it.

Credit to Johnson for realising that a deal was only possible if he sold somebody out, but the ones who position is completely undefensible here is Johnson and the ERG.

This deal would have been voted against by them in 2016, 2017, 2018 and the early part of 2019.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:41 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Farage vote has collapsed amongst Tory voters (down by 3/4th)

If he isn't attracting Tory voters, he's not a threat to Johnson. I'm pretty sure the only people worrying about Farage now with the current Tory position is Farage and the members of his Brexit Party ie how to avoid becoming completely irrelevant after Brexit

Johnson has only united the tories by forcing out all those who don't agree with him.

He's fully entitled to do that as the leader if he wants, but lets not pretend thats not going to alienate more moderate MPs and members.

That could hurt him in marginals, and that is where his strategy might blow up in his face.

he wouldn't be even close to getting this far if the main opposition party was even vaguely competent.

I fully agree with the point about the majority not being political savvy, and that might actually work against Johnson in an election campaign as the stuff he's actually done and would be highlighted a lot more in an GE.
A lot of the remoaners are stepping down, bercow has been replaced by a brexiteer.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:41 am

dsr wrote:And you're using semantics by calling them "checks". The recurrent complaint (one of many) about Brexit is that it would introduce a "hard border" in Ireland. There was never any complain that then, as now, you would have to fill in paperwork for every goods movement between the two parts of Ireland, because paperwork wasn't considered to be a "hard border".

I have said all along that using computer analysis of paper trails could be used to replace or at least partly replace the amount of physical checking at a border. This has been routinely sneered at by Lancaster in particular, and I dare say by you as well, as not being a valid check. Now suddenly, when you want to argue the other way, a Customs & Excise form becomes a check?
So what is it if it’s not a check then? What’s it for?

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:42 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:In what way?

The deal changed massively overnight from one the DUP agreed with to one they didn't.

I mean, its was widely reported at the time as a big change, and wrongly reported "by a source" that the DUP had agreed to it.

Credit to Johnson for realising that a deal was only possible if he sold somebody out, but the ones who position is completely undefensible here is Johnson and the ERG.

This deal would have been voted against by them in 2016, 2017, 2018 and the early part of 2019.
His original 2border plan had checks away from the border, the DUP signed up to this.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:43 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/stat ... 1815628805

George Osborne slaps down the Conservatives about whether the deal passed parliament or not.
Please don't keep calling Boris a liar and then quote that piece of **** Osborne.

Slightly contradictory.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Please don't keep calling Boris a liar and then quote that piece of **** Osborne.

Slightly contradictory.
If you'd like to tell me which bits of that tweet are a lie Quick I'll happily agree with you.