Now the dust has settled...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Now the dust has settled...

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:31 pm

A few weeks ago at the backend of 2018 I posted that if we didn't sign somebody who was good enough to walk into the starting 11, we'd go down.

We haven't done that, but since I posted it, two things have happened. Heaton has come back in and McNeil has emerged as one of the first names on the teamsheet. McNeil has saved the club what must be knocking on £20 million in a new signing.

So now the dust has settled and the transfer window has been closed, rewind 6 weeks and do you agree that Heaton coming back into the side and McNeil getting his starting place has been a significant improvement? Just look at our results since those 2 things happened. It's the difference between where we are now and where Huddersfield are.

We didn't get what most expected from the transfer window, but those 2 players coming into the starting side is massive.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Now the dust has settled...

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pismg8l57Rs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry Frank couldn't resist

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm

Chester Perry wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pismg8l57Rs
sorry Frank couldn't resist
It's more about what people think of the transfer window, going off how bad we were earlier in the season.

Rewind before McNeil and Heaton came in, we looked fecked and we were going down. Now those 2 have come in, does a poor transfer window matter as much?

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:45 pm

I believe that the most important single factor is the recall of Tom Heaton.
There was a real buzz in the ground before the West Ham game, quite different from the atmosphere during the Everton match, and this was because we had our captain back. I'm convinced that this transferred to the players, and of course we haven't lost since in the league.
There are other reasons, of which the emergence of Dwight McNeil is one, but I still think Tom has been the catalyst.
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank Rumpelstiltskin bob-the-scutter

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:49 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:I believe that the most important single factor is the recall of Tom Heaton.
There was a real buzz in the ground before the West Ham game, quite different from the atmosphere during the Everton match, and this was because we had our captain back. I'm convinced that this transferred to the players, and of course we haven't lost since in the league.
There are other reasons, of which the emergence of Dwight McNeil is one, but I still think Tom has been the catalyst.
I agree. I've always had the belief that morale is just as important as form. Have a team who are happy and smiling and they'll play just as good as when they're on form. Heaton coming in, to me, clearly upped the morale of the players. He's helped to organise the defence but both have improved us so much. If we stay up - that will be why. Those two players coming into the side.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Heaton and McNeil are 2 good reasons, but I'd also add Bardsley. His mental attitude since the Liverpool game has lifted all those around him.
Westwood has also become far more effective since the Everton game. Defending doggedly is great, but the biggest difference is our use of the ball when we get it. Far more pro active, and all down to a change of attitude rather than personnel.
These 3 users liked this post: basil6345789 Rumpelstiltskin tiger76

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Both Heaton and McNeil have lifted the atmosphere around the place - Heaton more so from the team's perspective - just the way he constantly organises the defence (personally think Keane misses this more at Everton than Mee alongside) - for all Hart's shot-stopping he was far too quiet for us and that was obvious early on. Dwight has raised the mood of the crowd - there is real anticipation when he get's the ball and he rarely loses possession as he ghosts past players at will. "Like a new signing" is a phrase often derided on here but those two have come into the first 11 in that way.
Last edited by Chester Perry on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Heaton seems to have made a difference and so has McNeil but maybe also the massive demotivation of being dropped for Europe may now have worn off and the reality of potentially losing their PL status has kicked in. If Mee and Tarks need Heaton behind them to play well then maybe they aren't the great players we think they are. I don't know of course but I don't like the idea that the team falls apart if the favourite goalie isn't playing.

McNeil of course has been like a new signing but this should be happening anyway, players SHOULD be coming through the system but it doesn't mean we don't need to buy experience.

We have improved greatly, for sure, but that doesn't take away from the fact that as a club we are just truly awful at dealing with the transfer market of late. If we stay up this season (and I do think we will) it will be down to Dyche making a silk purse from a sows ear and nothing to do with our penny pinching board.

Oh and by the way, yes, I am still p!ssed off with our transfer window 'activity'.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:09 pm

I didn't want us to sign Hart and I have never hidden that fact.

Watching the defence under Tom Heaton is like looking at a different team. Obviously, it is not the only thing that has changed but, it is an important factor.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:10 pm

You make it out like all is well now Frank. We have played well recently but haven't gone safe. One bad patch and we could be right back in the relegation mire.

A win at Brighton would be massive and bring them right into it.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:You make it out like all is well now Frank. We have played well recently but haven't gone safe. One bad patch and we could be right back in the relegation mire.

A win at Brighton would be massive and bring them right into it.
A shame that's how you see it. I'm making it out that we're in one hell of a better position and other than Man City we can pick up points against anybody. Rewind a few weeks back and I couldn't see us beating anybody. Now, I'm seeing we can pick up points against anybody.

A huge difference.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm

McNeil has been like a new signing. Hart to be honest fell apart in the Everton match. Heaton’s been excellent since he came back so that’s the end of the former’s Burnley career.

Much as anything though, glad we’ve accepted the 5-3-2 nonsense as the failure that it was always destined to be. No pre season work on it and just don’t have the players for that system. Bin.

Scary how much McNeil is relied upon to actually take a man on and beat him though. Manages it without a serious turn of pace too. But we could’ve done, and could still do with another winger.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm

SGr wrote:McNeil has been like a new signing. Hart to be honest fell apart in the Everton match. Heaton’s been excellent since he came back so that’s the end of the former’s Burnley career.

Much as anything though, glad we’ve accepted the 5-3-2 nonsense as the failure that it was always destined to be. No pre season work on it and just don’t have the players for that system. Bin.

Scary how much McNeil is relied upon to actually take a man on and beat him though. Manages it without a serious turn of pace too. But we could’ve done, and could still do with another winger.
The 5-3-2 were minutes away from getting a point at Spurs, so not sure that should be thrown in the wardrobe just yet. I was happy that Sean Dyche tried it. We often complain that he doesn't try new things but that's him experimenting and it's a good thing to see from a manager. It's healthy.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:46 pm

There's an all catalog of things that's happened Westwood being the main Hendrick going back into a position he's comfortable with
Natural captain back taking the owness off Mee, Bardsley making an impression with solid performances, McNeil coming of age and putting some shining showings in Wood and Barnes getting accomplished.
And of resent I have got to mention the new big man as of Saturday he had a big say in the point we achieved and caused pandemonium in that box so a big nice one to Crouch UTC

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 pm

FactualFrank wrote:The 5-3-2 were minutes away from getting a point at Spurs, so not sure that should be thrown in the wardrobe just yet. I was happy that Sean Dyche tried it. We often complain that he doesn't try new things but that's him experimenting and it's a good thing to see from a manager. It's healthy.
That was a 5-2-3 we had at Spurs, Brady and Lennon supporting the lone striker, so we had width. And I was fine with that at the time especially as given the team we were playing. Should’ve been straight back to 4-4-2 after that, IMO.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm

SGr wrote:That was a 5-2-3 we had at Spurs, Brady and Lennon supporting the lone striker, so we had width. And I was fine with that at the time especially as given the team we were playing. Should’ve been straight back to 4-4-2 after that, IMO.
I thought you were on about playing 5 at the back? That's the only major formation change that we've made this season. With 3 central defenders. We were doing ok, so I wouldn't rule it out.

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Longside4evr wrote:There's an all catalog of things that's happened Westwood being the main
I should’ve mentioned this. Westwood has been outstanding since the Everton game.

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:02 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I thought you were on about playing 5 at the back? That's the only major formation change that we've made this season. With 3 central defenders. We were doing ok, so I wouldn't rule it out.
5-3-2 specifically is the one I have a problem with. No wingers, two target men and the wing backs don’t have the athleticism for it, for me. Inflexible and leaves us with no width.

I don’t have a problem with experimenting with the system we used at Spurs, since we actually have wingers there.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

FactualFrank wrote:A few weeks ago at the backend of 2018 I posted that if we didn't sign somebody who was good enough to walk into the starting 11, we'd go down.

We haven't done that, but since I posted it, two things have happened. Heaton has come back in and McNeil has emerged as one of the first names on the teamsheet. McNeil has saved the club what must be knocking on £20 million in a new signing.

So now the dust has settled and the transfer window has been closed, rewind 6 weeks and do you agree that Heaton coming back into the side and McNeil getting his starting place has been a significant improvement? Just look at our results since those 2 things happened. It's the difference between where we are now and where Huddersfield are.

We didn't get what most expected from the transfer window, but those 2 players coming into the starting side is massive.
Mc Neil looked way off 20 million against Southampton.Bardsley along with Tom Heaton and Wood looking a little sharper have been a Bonus. IMO

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

tim_noone wrote:Mc Neil looked way off 20 million against Southampton.Bardsley along with Tom Heaton and Wood looking a little sharper have been a Bonus. IMO
I agree - more like £40M in today’s market ;)

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Along with Heaton coming back in, the emergence of Dwight, Bardsley has added something too.
Don't think it's that weren't trying on that dismal run, we just seemed to forget what we are.
Bards came in an gave us that decisive edge we'd lost.
Taylor has developed too. Turned in some cracking games.
Transfer window?
Pah. Who needs them.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:20 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I agree - more like £40M in today’s market ;)
Erm...yes that's what I meant :?
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Along with Heaton coming back in, the emergence of Dwight, Bardsley has added something too.
Don't think it's that weren't trying on that dismal run, we just seemed to forget what we are.
Bards came in an gave us that decisive edge we'd lost.
Taylor has developed too. Turned in some cracking games.
Transfer window?
Pah. Who needs them.
I still remember the thread I started, suggesting we signed Chris Wood. I also suggested we signed Charlie Taylor. Shot down on both counts yet they both make our starting 11. Both very good signings.
I agree with you regarding Bardsley - nobody wants to be facing him down left wing unless they want to lose a leg.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:36 pm

Results since the Everton debacle have moved us on from definite relegation candidates to having a 'fighting chance' of survival. That's where we stand currently. Heads just above water. I really can't even begin to predict any possible outcome but if it's grit and determination needed to survive then we'd be worth a bet; if it's going to require that little bit of extra quality then we may well fall just short.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Results since the Everton debacle have moved us on from definite relegation candidates to having a 'fighting chance' of survival. That's where we stand currently. Heads just above water. I really can't even begin to predict any possible outcome but if it's grit and determination needed to survive then we'd be worth a bet; if it's going to require that little bit of extra quality then we may well fall just short.
Certainly have more quality than Cardiff and more know-how.

As for the other teams Brighton look very nervous at the moment

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:09 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I still remember the thread I started, suggesting we signed Chris Wood. I also suggested we signed Charlie Taylor. Shot down on both counts yet they both make our starting 11. Both very good signings.
I agree with you regarding Bardsley - nobody wants to be facing him down left wing unless they want to lose a leg.
I wouldn’t say Wood was very good Frank. Doesn’t try hard enough for me and off side too often!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 357 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Good player is McNeil. Only lasts 70 mins, but he is still developing

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Heaton and McNeil are 2 good reasons, but I'd also add Bardsley. His mental attitude since the Liverpool game has lifted all those around him.
Westwood has also become far more effective since the Everton game. Defending doggedly is great, but the biggest difference is our use of the ball when we get it. Far more pro active, and all down to a change of attitude rather than personnel.
Bardsley and Barnes getting stuck in, has had a far greater impact on the team than Heaton and McNeill, but they too have had a positive impact.

I have said to my mate that I don't think we will get beaten again this season.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Carport wrote:I wouldn’t say Wood was very good Frank. Doesn’t try hard enough for me and off side too often!
Sorry, but that's a very "copy what other people say rather than watch and give my own opinion" type of response. A striker doesn't need to try so long as he scores goals. That's what he does. He's scored some very important goals for us this season and him and Barnes are a brilliant partnership. Both a pain in the backside for the opposition.
This user liked this post: SGr

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Frank sorry I’ve been to every home game and six away games this season ( eight including Istanbul and Athens) so don’t think you can accuse me of copying what others say. I’ve seen it with my owns eyes and am quite capable of formulating a view myself. I don’t doubt he’s scored some important goals. Really though a Dyche managed team and a striker doesn’t need to try?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Mad how Wood has attracted an almost cult opposition on here. Not every striker is supposed to spend 90 minutes with their back to goal taking down long balls - his movement and positioning is the best in the squad, would not surprise me if he finished top scorer, like he would have done last season if not for his injuries.

Edit: just checked - he was our top PL scorer last season despite the injuries. Makes you think.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:14 pm

FactualFrank wrote:A few weeks ago at the backend of 2018 I posted that if we didn't sign somebody who was good enough to walk into the starting 11, we'd go down.

Tend to agree with the OP. We look a much stronger team than we did a month ago. The emergence of McNeil and the return of Heaton appear to be massive factors in that, but I think you can also add to that a host of other factors: Taylor is now playing the best football of his career, Tarkowski is clearly now over his Hernia issues which evidently restricted him earlier in the campaign, we''ve returned to a tactical set up and formation which really suits us (4-4-2 with Barnes and Wood up front for a start) and there's a load of other players now playing with confidence and purpose they didn't have before Christmas. Certainly, by the end of January it wasn't obvious where the glaring vacancy was in the starting eleven which we desperately needed to fill, and we may have learned from the Hart experience that pushing aside players who can justifiably expect to start is not always a good move even if the incoming player is a good player.

With hindsight, therefore, perhaps most of us overestimated what we really needed to get out of the January window. I think a lot of talk about our squad lacking depth is overblown - we've got 25 senior players including McNeil, which is the classic equation of 2 for every position plus a third senior goalkeeper. There's literally not one position in which we're one injury away from being caught short - particularly with Dyche sounding very bullish today about the injury situation (he's essentially suggested we might have a clean bill of health, or very close, for the visit of Spurs). The squad has always looked strong enough to stay up on paper and given recent levels of performance (without taking anything for granted) I'm pretty confident we'll be OK.

That said, I think we've got a bit of a job on this summer. We need to start regenerating the squad because there are a few too many players around the squad - Bardsley, Ward, Defour, Lennon - who are getting on/becoming a bit too injury prone.This summer, there's no international tournament and so there's time to trade some of those players out as well bring replacements in, is the time to address that. At the same time, we're reaching the point where improving the first eleven is always going to be really tough - simply because we've got good players and it's hard to improve on them within our budget.

The trick will be signing players who are young enough and hungry enough to accept the challenge of competing with those who have the shirt, have the potential to improve and ultimately help us kick on to the next level, but who are already at a level where they can be trusted to do the job if we got a major injury to an established player. Bournemouth managed it 18 months ago and they're reaping the rewards now, but it's easier said than done.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:54 pm

When the dust settles we are 25% of a four horse race hoping to avoid relegation. Failure to strengthen may see us relegated. If we stay up it will not be down to anything more than the weaknesses of the three clubs that finish below us. In my humble opinion, of course. ;)

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 pm

boatshed bill wrote:When the dust settles we are 25% of a four horse race hoping to avoid relegation. Failure to strengthen may see us relegated. If we stay up it will not be down to anything more than the weaknesses of the three clubs that finish below us. In my humble opinion, of course. ;)
;)