Had Barnes been sent off.....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Re: Had Barnes been sent off.....

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:36 am

WestMidsClaret wrote:No one likes us, no one likes us..........
Dunno

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:37 am

CnBtruntru wrote:Dunno
Nor me.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:41 am

claretspice wrote:Ty - if you think that rugby referees definitely make fewer mistakes than football ones - you're wrong.

To use one example, England were nearly cost the 2003 world cup because of a referee who didn't get what was happening in the scrum. But I didn't see a single England player lose his discipline towards a ref. Just as I've never seen a top class cricket go and do what Barnes did to an umpire - even, for example, when an umpire has turned down a claim from a fielder for a low catch (which is effectively the same accusation of cheating).

Whatever the provocation, Barnes has to keep his cool. Dyche as good as said this to the press, so you can be he made the point strongly behind closed doors.
If memory serves Martin Johnson disputed a referees call at the scrum and the ref awarded a penalty to Australia in return. That kick levelled up the scores and took us into extra time. Just saying.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:45 am

claretspice wrote:Taylor has been inevitably criticised for a really poor decision to deny the penalty and card Barnes for diving. However, I'm pretty sure the only reason Barnes remained on the pitch is that Taylor recognised from Barnes' (and others') reaction that he'd probably made a mistake, and decided that the only way to avoid compounding his original error was to take a liberal approach to the rules which strictly required him to send Barnes off.

In my opinion, the ref deserves a bit of credit for that, because he may well get himself into more trouble with the refereeing authorities for that than for his original mistake (which makes sense because one is a genuine mistake to an incident in real time, the other is a calculated decision taken with the benefit of thinking time following the tirade).

As for Barnes, his frustration and sense of injustice was entirely fair enough, but he's paid many thousands of pounds a week to keep control of his emotions and he's simply got to do better than that. You don't see that sort of reaction in any other sport and its rightly being clamped down on in football.
If it's true that he realised he may have made a mistake, then why did he not simply consult with the ref assistant to get his thoughts on the matter, give him some thinking time and then either confirm or change his decision. I suspect that Barnes rep had preceded him which led to the original decision and nothing was going to change the decision. That said, he was very lucky not to be sent off.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:00 pm

corporal jones wrote:If it's true that he realised he may have made a mistake, then why did he not simply consult with the ref assistant to get his thoughts on the matter, give him some thinking time and then either confirm or change his decision. I suspect that Barnes rep had preceded him which led to the original decision and nothing was going to change the decision. That said, he was very lucky not to be sent off.
They are miked up to each other aren't they? I had assumed it was the lino who had said dive. Ref was 60 yrs away and a poor view. Lino 12yds. Away and excellent view. So no need to go over and chat to each other. I was also convinced the ref had initially pointed to the spot....i was cheering.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:16 pm

corporal jones wrote:If it's true that he realised he may have made a mistake, then why did he not simply consult with the ref assistant to get his thoughts on the matter, give him some thinking time and then either confirm or change his decision. I suspect that Barnes rep had preceded him which led to the original decision and nothing was going to change the decision. That said, he was very lucky not to be sent off.
Probably because the lino is miked up and in communication with the ref from the outset, and it's entirely possible that this mistake by Taylor is in fact a decision that had in fact already been guided by the linesman. But in any event, a suspicion a decision may be wrong is certainly not grounds to overturn the decision - that would involve a massive amount of guesswork unless the linesman was indicating he disagreed with the call - and as you rightly say, the fact that the ref didn't see grounds to overturn it certainly doesn't justify Barnes' reaction.

As for Martin Johnson/2003 - the threshold for the ref to advance a penalty or reverse it in rugby is pretty damned low, which basically goes to the point about how much more respect is shown in rugby despite it being a sport that requires far more aggression from its participants. If they can flick the switch to deal with referees, there's absolutely no reason why footballers shouldn't.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:57 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:They are miked up to each other aren't they? I had assumed it was the lino who had said dive. Ref was 60 yrs away and a poor view. Lino 12yds. Away and excellent view. So no need to go over and chat to each other. I was also convinced the ref had initially pointed to the spot....i was cheering.
Match of the Day did a graphic that said the ref was 29 yards away; and if Turf Moor is the standard 74 yards wide, then it's 15 yards from the touchline to the edge of the penalty area. So the relative distance wasn't as far as you might think.

I think it was the lino who said dive, though. There was a vrief pause before the ref gave the free kick; it wasn't as quick as it would have been if it had been his own decision. If at least one of them hadn't been certain it was a dive, it would have been play on, no action taken.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 am

dsr wrote:Match of the Day did a graphic that said the ref was 29 yards away; and if Turf Moor is the standard 74 yards wide, then it's 15 yards from the touchline to the edge of the penalty area. So the relative distance wasn't as far as you might think.

I think it was the lino who said dive, though. There was a vrief pause before the ref gave the free kick; it wasn't as quick as it would have been if it had been his own decision. If at least one of them hadn't been certain it was a dive, it would have been play on, no action taken.
My apologies. Yes you are right the graphic did show ref at 29yds. Looks more to me, but hey ho.
I don't think anyone can argue that the linesman didn't have an excellent view of it......he couldn't be any nearer really.
Screenshot (62).png
Screenshot (62).png (829.14 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Screenshot (61).png
Screenshot (61).png (798.74 KiB) Viewed 427 times