Standard of ref's in Prem v Championship

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Standard of ref's in Prem v Championship

Post by Spijed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Is it really any better?

Would a Championship ref be any worse than Anthony Taylor, for example?

Also, the linesman (AR) in last nights game seem to be guessing as to whether players were offside or nor.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Standard of ref's in Prem v Championship

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm

They certainly aren't as star struck in the Championship.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm

You would like to think that any professional linesman wouldn't find himself 3 yards ahead of play looking up the touchline at a possible throw in and miss a blatant offside. But last night's did.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Refs went professional in 2001... In that time standards have dropped.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm

The standard of refs in the Championship is far poorer (as unbelievable as that sounds). We just didn't realise as we didn't have such widely available footage of every incident.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32373 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Spijed wrote:Would a Championship ref be any worse than Anthony Taylor, for example?
Far worse, that's why Taylor is on the select group, he's one of the best we have.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Far worse, that's why Taylor is on the select group, he's one of the best we have.
In that case we are in trouble!

Put three Refs on the field, all wearing video cameras. Another camera to "run each line". Have the decisions made by A.I. :lol:

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Far worse, that's why Taylor is on the select group, he's one of the best we have.
If he's one of the best we have then it says a lot when he allows our own player to get hacked down in the penalty area without even a booking after a couple of minutes!

I couldn't image a Championship referee ever making a worse decision than that.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:54 pm

I am not for copying things American but there must be a case these days, with the fitness of players better than ever before, for a ref in each half of the pitch. How can refs keep up with what are really super fit sportsmen? Back in the day when refs were basically amatuers at least footballers were nowhere near at the fitness levels of today and even then I thought it was silly. The game can move from one end of the pitch to another in the blink of an eye almost (especially with us) so how is one man expected to keep up with play and make objective decisions? The game has moved on in terms of speed but alas officiating hasn't. VAR is one answer but two refs would make it even better, especially if there is doubt, the 'other' ref could be consulted.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1694 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:38 pm

The incident last Saturday was not as a result of fitness. He had an assistant just a few yards away,too and his apparent indifference wasn't down to fitness either. Three officials on the pitch, each with a modicum of competency, ought to be sufficient to provide an acceptable level of order for the 90 minutes or so. There was a distinct lack of competency on show at the weekend and as a result an unacceptable level of order (beginning early in the game with Slattery's dreadful lunge on Charlie Taylor going unpunished). Sadly and worryingly it appears Taylor and his crew have nothing to answer with the award of another high profile game at Anfield this coming weekend.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:The incident last Saturday was not as a result of fitness. He had an assistant just a few yards away,too and his apparent indifference wasn't down to fitness either. Three officials on the pitch, each with a modicum of competency, ought to be sufficient to provide an acceptable level of order for the 90 minutes or so. There was a distinct lack of competency on show at the weekend and as a result an unacceptable level of order (beginning early in the game with Slattery's dreadful lunge on Charlie Taylor going unpunished). Sadly and worryingly it appears Taylor and his crew have nothing to answer with the award of another high profile game at Anfield this coming weekend.
He considered that Slattery had slipped when making the challenge and he considered that Ashley was already on his way down when the keeper cleaned him out. They really should have gone to Specsavers ---there are other opticians available if required.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5643 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Taylor does European games, he had a nightmare at the weekend though

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:20 pm

You don't need to be right up with play. I recall research in The Netherlands some time ago showed that ten to twenty metres is ideal.

I think a two referee system was tried in the early days of football, and that UEFA have considered it occasionally. I'm not sure it would be any better then how we have it now. Referee's make mistakes, we know, and the current system should allow for their correction, in the case we are talking about, if the assistant can intervene. I get the impression that assistants aren't given as much authority over decisions as they could be and that might be the shortcoming - am I wrong?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:48 pm

Spijed wrote:If he's one of the best we have then it says a lot when he allows our own player to get hacked down in the penalty area without even a booking after a couple of minutes!

I couldn't image a Championship referee ever making a worse decision than that.
Well I've seen enough of those Championship referees to know they will make far more mistakes, and serious mistakes, than Anthony Taylor. There are some horror refs in the Football League. Basing the standard of a referee on one decision is where you are going wrong.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Well I've seen enough of those Championship referees to know they will make far more mistakes, and serious mistakes, than Anthony Taylor. There are some horror refs in the Football League. Basing the standard of a referee on one decision is where you are going wrong.
to be fair he did give us a penalty at Swansea when Vokesy hand balled it - he saves his best/worst for our games

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Sadly this is why we need VAR.

Like I’ve said before it’s a good job some of them are only in charge of a football league and not something more important.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Sadly this is why we need VAR.

Like I’ve said before it’s a good job some of them are only in charge of a football league and not something more important.
VAR certainly won't resolve incidents such as the penalty if the ref thought Barnes dived.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:to be fair he did give us a penalty at Swansea when Vokesy hand balled it - he saves his best/worst for our games
Awful decision that, as was the goal he allowed in stoppage time that won it for Swansea. He's a long way from being up with the best refs we've got but some of those refereeing regularly in the Championship are miles behind. You wouldn't swap him for getting Tim Robinson for instance. Quite how he referees at any level is beyond me.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Awful decision that, as was the goal he allowed in stoppage time that won it for Swansea. He's a long way from being up with the best refs we've got but some of those refereeing regularly in the Championship are miles behind. You wouldn't swap him for getting Tim Robinson for instance. Quite how he referees at any level is beyond me.
he's a looooooooooooooooooong way behind my all time favourite Mr Lynch !!!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Spijed wrote:VAR certainly won't resolve incidents such as the penalty if the ref thought Barnes dived.
Why not ?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:25 pm

TVC15 wrote:Why not ?
If the ref didn't think it was a penalty, nor did his linesman, there is also a good chance the VAR official watching the game coming to the same conclusion.

That's where the big flaw in VAR lies.

Like with hand ball, and interfering with play it often comes down to the opinion of the referee and VAR won't change that.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Spijed wrote:If the ref didn't think it was a penalty, nor did his linesman, there is also a good chance the VAR official watching the game coming to the same conclusion.

Like with hand ball, and interfering with play it often comes down to the opinion of the referee and VAR won't change that.
Yep I get that but if VAR does not overturn decisions like Barnes’ penalty on Saturday there will be a hell of a lot of criticism and somehow they will have to change - eg by involving ex players who people who understand the game better than some of the current referees

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1812 times
Has Liked: 1792 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Seems to me it is the notorious refs, not the best ones, who pass up from the Championship to the Prem.

I thought there were some pretty good ones in the Championship.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:58 pm

They have too much to lose, to make a decision. Easier to give any touch, than accept that it is a contact sport.

Prem league the very worst in the guidance to refs, ably now supported by hard bastards like Shearer, who now go along with, 'there was contact'.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Spijed wrote:If the ref didn't think it was a penalty, nor did his linesman, there is also a good chance the VAR official watching the game coming to the same conclusion.

The challenge on Barnes would 100% have resulted in a penalty if the officials had the use of VAR.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:11 pm

IanMcL wrote:They have too much to lose, to make a decision. Easier to give any touch, than accept that it is a contact sport.

Prem league the very worst in the guidance to refs, ably now supported by hard bastards like Shearer, who now go along with, 'there was contact'.
Does he - I always thought that Shearer was the closest aligned pundit to Dyche’s views. He’s regularly agreed with him and been very outspoken about diving.
I think they could do a lot worse than involve Shearer in helping formulate new guidelines and even change the laws to get back to a bit of sanity and penalise the systematic cheating

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:he's a looooooooooooooooooong way behind my all time favourite Mr Lynch !!!
Oh yes good old Lynchy not! from the never to be forgotten Barnsley away game, has to go down as one of most appalling refereeing performances I have seen involving Burnley how about you VC?
Last edited by South West Claret. on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: ten bellies

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:52 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Oh yes good old Lynchy not! from the never to be forgotten Barnsley way game, has to go down as one of most appalling refereeing performances I have seen involving Burnley how about you VC?
exactly the same, the single most horrific refereeing performance I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing ! I think it's all we talked about in the car on the way home !

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:exactly the same, the single most horrific refereeing performance I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing ! I think it's all we talked about in the car on the way home !
Yes one referee performance you will never forget.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1812 times
Has Liked: 1792 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Interesting to look at this to see how Mr Lynch talks about himself:

http://www.kevin-lynch.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I once saw him on a train and he said he didn't like Burnley -I bet he doesn't admit that in his after dinner speeches.

Isn't he from Wigan?

Edit - just read he works on the corporate entertainment side at Ewood, that explains a lot.
Last edited by dougcollins on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 pm

I don't think there's any doubt that the elite referees can learn something from the man management and game awareness of the likes of Darren Deadman and Trevor Kettle, these guys are respected throughout football in this country.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 pm

dougcollins wrote:Interesting to look at this to see how Mr Lynch talks about himself:

I once saw him on a train and he said he didn't like Burnley -I bet he doesn't admit that in his after dinner speeches.

Isn't he from Wigan?

Edit - just read he works on the corporate entertainment side at Ewood, that explains a lot.
As well as being a completely useless referee he now appears to be a right jobs worth basking in other people’s former achievements among other things.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 am

dougcollins wrote:Interesting to look at this to see how Mr Lynch talks about himself:

Isn't he from Wigan?

No he was from Knaresborough. I'll never forget his 'performance' at Barnsley either.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 am

I see refs coming in for a lot of criticism over these decisions but surely a lot of the blame has to be with the linesman because they are the ones closer to the action.

To be fair to Taylor he was a distance away from the Barnes incident because it was a long ball forward and no ref can run that fast but surely the linesman who was much closer should have advised him otherwise.

The same with Woods offside against Watford and Man U's second goal, it's the linesman who is in line with play and should be advising the ref because the ref is rarely in the ideal position.

Yes there is a lot of poor refereeing out there and obvious bias towards the bigger clubs but IMO the refs are being let down by their linesman who seem to afraid to to disgaree with refs or aren't capable of making an unpopular decision.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:27 am

Firthy wrote:I see refs coming in for a lot of criticism over these decisions but surely a lot of the blame has to be with the linesman because they are the ones closer to the action.

To be fair to Taylor he was a distance away from the Barnes incident because it was a long ball forward and no ref can run that fast but surely the linesman who was much closer should have advised him otherwise.

The same with Woods offside against Watford and Man U's second goal, it's the linesman who is in line with play and should be advising the ref because the ref is rarely in the ideal position.

Yes there is a lot of poor refereeing out there and obvious bias towards the bigger clubs but IMO the refs are being let down by their linesman who seem to afraid to to disgaree with refs or aren't capable of making an unpopular decision.
Yes that as well.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:33 am

Did any of you see the blatant hand ball by the Boro player against Newport last night, highlights can now be seen of all the replays last night on the BBC Sports tab now.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:55 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Did any of you see the blatant hand ball by the Boro player against Newport last night, highlights can now be seen of all the replays last night on the BBC Sports tab now.
This should have been seen by the AR, however, there was a player in his line of vision so this is possibly why he wasn't sure. From the referee's position, he was looking at the incident with the player side-on to him and he may well have thought that it hit the player in his hip area. He was not sure that it was a penalty and, without the help of his AR, he could not guess so he gave the player the benefit of doubt. Fortunately, it was not costly in the end.

No VAR involved, whereas there was a controversial call at Wolves v Shrewsbury which led to the winning goal for Wolves being reviewed by VAR and the goal stood, in spite of there having been a foul committed by a Wolves player in the build up!

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 pm

Spijed wrote:VAR certainly won't resolve incidents such as the penalty if the ref thought Barnes dived.
It would. The video clearly shows he didn’t.