Ashley Barnes - don't read Oliver Kay in The Times

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Ashley Barnes - don't read Oliver Kay in The Times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:09 am

Oliver Kay, Chief Football Correspondent, in today's The Times:

"No wonder referees are living in fear."

It's a long article - and my online Times is "playing up" so I can't copy/paste.

Simple summary:

Zaha booked for sarcastic dissent, plus further ban and fine.

"Just go mad. Scream at the referee, or linesman, as Ashley Barnes. Such "passion" is fine according to a leading former Premier League official...."

But, in the semi-pro and amateur games this "passion" is copied - and a list of referees who've been assulted in lower leagues are quoted as examples.

Kay, of course, is not in support of Ash's "passion."

But, he ends with:

"A very small apology here to the Burnley player for singling him out, because you can be certain it will be another Premier League player today and next weekend and the one after that. And you can be equally certain that worse will be happening away from the cameras, on park pitches up and down the country, where referees live in fear not of verbal dissent but of far worse."

Somewhere in the article Kay does say that Ash's yellow card for diving was unjustified.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4022 times

Re: Ashley Barnes - don't read Oliver Kay in The Times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:15 am

There are many reasons I don't lime tabloid journalists and even more why I don't buy their rags. It would take too long to list them all. I suppose Mr Kay omitts from his article that it was one of the worst decisions in the history of the Premier League?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:15 am

Yep Barnes should not have done it but don’t think it happens now as much as it used to tbh.
Is it worse than what many of the big teams do when 6 or 7 of them surround the referee pushing and barging him knowing that there is no way of telling which one of them is doing it ?
Is it worse than the unfair influence the top managers have on referees or the tantrums they regularly throw on the sideline when unhappy about a decision 80 yards away ? They should use Dyche as an example here of good behaviour - but that’s not an interesting article is it ?

Bit of perspective would be good - far worse things happening on the pitch and sidelines than a one off incident like Barnes which was caused by a disgracefully incompetent ref and linesman

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1830 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am

Paul Waine wrote:Oliver Kay, Chief Football Correspondent, in today's The Times:

It's a long article - and my online Times is "playing up" so I can't copy/paste.

Simple summary:

"Just go mad. Scream at the referee, or linesman, as Ashley Barnes. Such "passion" is fine according to a leading former Premier League official...."

But, in the semi-pro and amateur games this "passion" is copied - and a list of referees who've been assulted in lower leagues are quoted as examples.

But, he ends with:

"A very small apology here to the Burnley player for singling him out, because you can be certain it will be another Premier League player today and next weekend and the one after that. And you can be equally certain that worse will be happening away from the cameras, on park pitches up and down the country, where referees live in fear not of verbal dissent but of far worse."

Somewhere in the article Kay does say that Ash's yellow card for diving was unjustified.
Yes, Ashley should not have reacted like he did, however, any referee on any park pitch up and down the country who made such a decision as Anthony Taylor did would have to expect some verbal dissent for the same reasons that Ashley expressed his opinions.
Any player who sarcastically applauds a decision made by an official just can't complain if the official takes exception to his actions. In Zaha's case, he had already received a yellow card for his tussle on the touch line, therefore, he left himself wide open to another by applauding the official for booking him.
Ashley had not received a caution at the time he erupted and, although he could have been dismissed for foul and abusive at an official, he received the caution for simulation.
I am still trying to work out exactly how Mister Taylor came to that decision.

As far as Oliver Kay is concerned, he is reporting that referees have been assaulted and I know this to be true because it has happened in my area. The problem then arises that not every County FA dishes out the harshest punishment which, if they did, would hopefully deter future offenders.
A lot of incidents which happen on local park pitches are down to the way that indiscipline has crept into society generally and there is very little respect from some players for anyone in authority, whether it is on the pitch or off it..

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am

Barnes should have gone for his reaction.

You shouldn’t be allowed to do that to officials no matter how useless they are.

ClaretPope
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Post by ClaretPope » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am

Kay's words: Walton was casting his eye, on BT Sport, over an incident at Turf Moor, where Barnes was aggrieved (justifiably, as it happened) that he and Burnley were denied a penalty against Southampton.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:33 am

You don't see players shouting at officials in rugby, maybe whatever process is used in rugby could be used in footy?

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 am

Some seasons ago it was decided that referees would clamp down on dissent, swearing, being touched and being surrounded by players

Great idea - wonder what happened to it

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1631 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 am

One of the most obvious penalties ever but I feel Ash has got away without any further action .
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 am

Barnes should issue an apology. It is ruining the game, just another way of cheating, trying to influence referees decisions.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:57 am

Paul Waine wrote:Oliver Kay, Chief Football Correspondent, in today's The Times:

Simple summary:

But, he ends with:

It's a very reasonable, balanced and true article.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo nil_desperandum

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Barnes should issue an apology. It is ruining the game, just another way of cheating, trying to influence referees decisions.
Cheating, you think Barnes was cheating??? I would say the referee was out of order, once when he didnt book the Southampton player for his foul on Taylor and then when he ludicrously did not award a penalty for Barnes. It was a shocking decision and he deserved to be told about it.

I can see your point but generally Burnley players do not abuse referees and do not waving imaginary cards like Sanchez did a few yaers back at Turkf Moor. he should have been booked for that but wasn't.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Stayingup wrote:Cheating, you think Barnes was cheating??? I would say the referee was out of order, once when he didnt book the Southampton player for his foul on Taylor and then when he ludicrously did not award a penalty for Barnes. It was a shocking decision and he deserved to be told about it.

I can see your point but generally Burnley players do not abuse referees and do not waving imaginary cards like Sanchez did a few yaers back at Turkf Moor. he should have been booked for that but wasn't.
He lost it with the linesman not the ref.

The ref was poor but we have to get away from officials taking abuse from players. From the top level to kids football.

They are scared of microphoning refs as it would damage the product showing how badly behaved these premier league players are.

Most teams pressure refs to try and get decisions, it worked for Burnley getting the 2nd penalty.

ALP
Been Liked: 1466 times
Has Liked: 388 times

Post by ALP » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 pm

No excuse for Ash, he should have gone. No matter how bad the decision was, there is no justification for tirades being aimed at officials. No wonder there is a lack of good officials, too few people want to go into it now, and without them the game dies.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:36 pm

All they have to do is get a card out every time. It would soon stop. Should have happened years ago.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:50 pm

That's fair enough but any inadequate or corrupt refs or assistants should also be punished.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:57 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:...corrupt refs or assistants should also be punished.
Have you any evidence they aren't? Have you any evidence there are corrupt officials? Or just a vivid imagination?

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:He lost it with the linesman not the ref.

The ref was poor but we have to get away from officials taking abuse from players. From the top level to kids football.

They are scared of microphoning refs as it would damage the product showing how badly behaved these premier league players are.

Most teams pressure refs to try and get decisions, it worked for Burnley getting the 2nd penalty.
We didn't pressure the ref for the penalty,he gave it straight away.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Shore claret wrote:We didn't pressure the ref for the penalty,he gave it straight away.
The idea is you pressure the ref so he thinks he owes you a decision so gives you the next one.
This user liked this post: thatdberight

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:04 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:There are many reasons I don't lime tabloid journalists and even more why I don't buy their rags. It would take too long to list them all. I suppose Mr Kay omitts from his article that it was one of the worst decisions in the history of the Premier League?
I think The Times would take issue with your description of them!
This user liked this post: Siddo

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:The idea is you pressure the ref so he thinks he owes you a decision so gives you the next one.
I'm assuming he'd been told how bad his decision was, we shouldn't of had to pressure him.
According to the refs on bt sport they never try to even things up, once a decision has been made that's it they don't try to rectify mistakes.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:22 pm

from BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47099270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They ended a 67-game wait for a Premier League penalty against Southampton, with Ashley Barnes winning and converting their first spot-kick in the top flight since April 2017.

Yes, I know, just careless BBC editing, or maybe the BBC do think that the "penalty that wasn't" in the first half won the "penalty that was" at the end of the game.

Keep you passion, Ashley, and keep your cool, like you did with the spot kick at the end of the game!

UTC

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Barnes should issue an apology. It is ruining the game, just another way of cheating, trying to influence referees decisions.
The ref should issue an apology. he's called Ash a cheat as well as denying us the penalty.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Simple summary:

But, he ends with:

As I have said before what do people expect when reading the gutter press...especially Murdoch gutter
Press.
These 2 users liked this post: Marty Dobson RoystonVasey

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Whatever your line of work, you shouldn’t have to put up with someone screaming in your face.

I was as livid with the incident as anyone else, but that kind of behaviour, however hard done to he’d been, is clearly a yellow card offence.

If one of my children did that to a referee or linesman I’d be embarrassed and disappointed.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:12 pm

agreenwood wrote:Whatever your line of work, you shouldn’t have to put up with someone screaming in your face.

I was as livid with the incident as anyone else, but that kind of behaviour, however hard done to he’d been, is clearly a yellow card offence.

If one of my children did that to a referee or linesman I’d be embarrassed and disappointed.
His behaviour towards the officials clearly warranted a second yellow card. However he hadn’t been shown the original yellow card which was coming his way so the referee couldn’t book him twice.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm

South West Claret. wrote:As I have said before what do people expect when reading the gutter press...especially Murdoch gutter
Press.
The Times gutter press? I find it difficult to agree with that description.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:24 pm

icu81b4 wrote:You don't see players shouting at officials in rugby, maybe whatever process is used in rugby could be used in footy?
They tried it (moving the kick forward 10m). Wasn’t a success, especially in countries with no rugby)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Barnes should have gone for his reaction.

You shouldn’t be allowed to do that to officials no matter how useless they are.
Great reaction on the penalty award today.... from Barnes. :D the Brighton players seemed to lose a little concentration just prior to him being fouled.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Ok...............

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:His behaviour towards the officials clearly warranted a second yellow card. However he hadn’t been shown the original yellow card which was coming his way so the referee couldn’t book him twice.
Genuine question. Surely it doesn't it say that in the rules?
Surely you can commit a yellow card offence, and then be booked again (or even shown a red) if you commit a 2nd bookable offence, even if the ref hasn't had time to pull the card out of his pocket for the first one?
What if he'd gone a little further and pushed the lino?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:37 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Genuine question. Surely it doesn't it say that in the rules?
Surely you can commit a yellow card offence, and then be booked again (or even shown a red) if you commit a 2nd bookable offence, even if the ref hasn't had time to pull the card out of his pocket for the first one?
What if he'd gone a little further and pushed the lino?
I asked Ashington (former referee) this and he said that a player can't be given a second yellow card for an offence committed before the first yellow is shown. What happens if a player tugs an opposition player back on a break away and the ref plays advantage and the same player does the same 10 seconds later. Two yellow card offences but the player in question isn't already on a yellow card so his behaviour/decisions would be different if he had already been cautioned.

If he had pushed the lino then that would have been a straight red for violent conduct.