Dyche - tactical genius

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Dyche - tactical genius

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Heaton back in. Ok most saw that.
Bardsley. Made a huge difference. Fight when and where we needed it.
Taylor. Persisted with him when many wouldnt.
Mee. As above. But with a record signing highly rated contender in the wings.
McNeil. Big call. Earnt his shirt in every game though. Many wouldve done two things. Played it safe by playing him in front of a more experienced full back. And played him on the wrong side. Hes let him play wide and drift.
Hendrick out right. Nobody couldve called that. But hes like a more physical Arfield and has been incredible.
Westwood and Cork. Westwood is THE unsung hero of the season. And has got tge best out of Cork.
Wood and Barnes. Last seasons amazing partnership just keeps on delivering. When many wouldve dropped wood.

So many partnerships all over the pitch. All crucial in our recent form.

Dyche has dropped the right players. And kept the right ones.

Today has reminded me of west ham last season. Bit of luck but absolutely clinical.

No other manager would have got us on this run with this squad after Everton. Granted wrle shouldnt have been down there. But when the chips are down. Dyche is the man.
These 4 users liked this post: claretfern Guller Bull whiffa 4:20

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Dyche - tactical genius

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

No way...we have a dyche out brigade on here.though on taking their shirts off they did look dyche fit.....

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Agree with you on most of that. But for Wood ... it's a thin between having a 'mare' and being the glory man. Hit his first more or less straight the keeper. Telegraphed his 2nd in terms of where it was going .... and then missed one even I could've tapped in when Barnes was brought down.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Espia wrote:Agree with you on most of that. But for Wood ... it's a thin between having a 'mare' and being the glory man. Hit his first more or less straight the keeper. Telegraphed his 2nd in terms of where it was going .... and then missed one even I could've tapped in when Barnes was brought down.

Ha first was emphatic. He was great today like he has been for the last 7 games
Last edited by claretcarrot93 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 4 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR Ashingtonclaret46 cricketfieldclarets JohnDearyMe

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:03 pm

He's done OK, I think he's better with his back against the wall.
Some of the decisions above are forced on him, but he has done well largely thanks to the return of Tom Heaton

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1631 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Wood has been immense
Scores two today and some posters still find fault
These 5 users liked this post: JohnMac cricketfieldclarets JohnDearyMe Il Duce tiger76

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Hard to think that just a few weeks ago half this board wanted him out and thought Hart was some kind of a Saint!!! :lol: :roll:
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:11 pm

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:Wood has been immense
Scores two today and some posters still find fault
I was a critic more than most...but December onwards he's been very good and the one I'd back to score!
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets DAVETHEVICAR

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Espia wrote:Agree with you on most of that. But for Wood ... it's a thin between having a 'mare' and being the glory man. Hit his first more or less straight the keeper. Telegraphed his 2nd in terms of where it was going .... and then missed one even I could've tapped in when Barnes was brought down.
Ridiculous. He smashed the first leaving the keeper no chance and he finished the second first time excellently.

On Dyche = genius, switching McNeill to the right was a master stroke. Gave Taylor better cover in the form of Hendrick and let McNeill cut in on his right foot which led to the second goal.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Joe14 wrote:Hard to think that just a few weeks ago half this board wanted him out and thought Hart was some kind of a Saint!!! :lol: :roll:
Saint joe ...has a ring to it. :D
This user liked this post: Joe14

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Joe14 wrote:Hard to think that just a few weeks ago half this board wanted him out and thought Hart was some kind of a Saint!!! :lol: :roll:
Still don't think that Joe was the problem however Heaton has added to the solution. Add Bardsley, McNeil and our strikers scoring to the mix and it has changed the look of the team Tarky and Mee have gained in confidence Taylor looks like he is thinking more in defence. But yeh the Dyche out brigade have been silenced yet again.
Last edited by ClaretRock on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets AfloatinClaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm

On Wood though, he did look to miss a sitter resulting in Barnes’ penalty!! I thought the ref was going to signal that he had played the advantage. On second viewing I think Barnes’ fall got in Wood’s way.

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeh Wood is abit dodge still however at least he is hitting the net now.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Still not sure what to make of Chris Wood. He makes great runs into the channels but struggles to control anything given to him, he doesn't look particularly convincing in front of goal but has a very respectable goal return for us.

The only thing I'm sure of with him is that he's much better with Barnes next to him.

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 pm

ClaretRock wrote:Still don't think that Joe was the problem however Heaton has added to the solution. Add Bardsley, McNeil and our strikers scoring to the mix and it has changed the look of the team Tarky and Mee have gained in confidence Taylor looks like he is thinking more in defence. But yeh the Dyche out brigade have been silenced yet again.
No no no the 5 goals he used to leak every game were all other people’s fault. :lol: As long as he made a couple of good saves it didn’t matter that we were sinking faster than titanic :roll:

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:28 pm

I was among the hart fans. And personally wouldnt have dropped him up to the evertom game.

At the everton game i said he wont start the next one. Despite personally feeling he had done little wrong.

Its clear now that Heatons the man. And Dyche has to be credited with making that change.

Most fans wouldve made it earlier in fairness.
These 2 users liked this post: Joe14 ClaretRock

ClaretRock

Post by ClaretRock » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Joe14 wrote:No no no the 5 goals he used to leak every game were all other people’s fault. :lol: As long as he made a couple of good saves it didn’t matter that we were sinking faster than titanic :roll:
To be fair alot of other players were under performing. I don't disagree Heaton has made a massive difference but I won't agree that Hart was the sole reason we were losing. Dyche changed alot when he brought Tom in and together it changed things around.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am

I would be very interested to see the number of shots per game against with Hart and the average number with Heaton in goal. I always thought the problem was twofold: Hart staying on his line and secondly him often palming shots back towards the attackers, giving them another chance for a follow up shot at goal............

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:58 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Heaton back in. Ok most saw that.
McNeil. Big call. Earnt his shirt in every game though. Many wouldve done two things. Played it safe by playing him in front of a more experienced full back. And played him on the wrong side. Hes let him play wide and drift.
Hendrick out right. Nobody couldve called that. But hes like a more physical Arfield and has been incredible.
Westwood and Cork. Westwood is THE unsung hero of the season. And has got tge best out of Cork.
Wood and Barnes. Last seasons amazing partnership just keeps on delivering. When many wouldve dropped wood.

Today has reminded me of west ham last season. Bit of luck but absolutely clinical.

No other manager would have got us on this run with this squad after Everton. Granted wrle shouldnt have been down there. But when the chips are down. Dyche is the man.
A lot of the posters on here were calling for these changes months before they happened....
This user liked this post: HiroshimaClaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:02 pm

ClaretRock wrote:To be fair alot of other players were under performing. I don't disagree Heaton has made a massive difference but I won't agree that Hart was the sole reason we were losing. Dyche changed alot when he brought Tom in and together it changed things around.
Not the sole reason, no. But had that been the only change, I still think it would have meant more points on the board than what we'd have had otherwise.

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:35 pm

I think the improvement has been a collective one, from the manager right throughout all of the team and everyone taking ownership to continue to improve on where they are at this current moment. We won't be lacking in fight or desire, one just needs to look at the reactions of Dyche on the touchline on Saturday and compare that to Hughton. Burnley wanted to win that game more on Saturday and it showed. Keep playing with that approach and mindset and that will help a lot in the remaining games.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:41 pm

leelad wrote:I think the improvement has been a collective one, from the manager right throughout all of the team and everyone taking ownership to continue to improve on where they are at this current moment. We won't be lacking in fight or desire, one just needs to look at the reactions of Dyche on the touchline on Saturday and compare that to Hughton. Burnley wanted to win that game more on Saturday and it showed. Keep playing with that approach and mindset and that will help a lot in the remaining games.
You saw the confidence on dyches face to the fear on hughtons right at the off when shaking hands.
These 2 users liked this post: leelad cricketfieldclarets

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:45 pm

No doubt about the gaffers' tremendous achievements so far and his ability to keep on motivating this group to give their all and punch above their level.

As for a tactical genius, I however think he still needs to add some more strings to his bow, such as the ability to use his substitutes at the right time.

Although I might seem hypercritical, and don't want to take anything await from the great fella, I think he sometimes waits to long to bring on fresh legs and ideas when chasing a game, and sometimes to break the flow of the game and win vital seconds when leading in the dying minutes and seconds of the game.

Greetings from the self proclaimed greatest armchair manager ;)

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:07 pm

I think that might be a bit of an overstatement. I don’t know / or have not met anyone who has ever really thought it said they wanted Dyche should go. I think folks need to wise up about uptheclarets being somehow representative of Burnley supporters generally. The ‘Dyche Out brigade’ is / was a tiny fraction of people who spend too much time inside their own heads or one their phones.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:The ‘Dyche Out brigade’ is / was a tiny fraction of people who know absolutely nothing about football.

Totally agree ;)
This user liked this post: Stockbrokerbelt

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 pm

FFS..........moan on!

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 pm

tim_noone wrote:You saw the confidence on dyches face to the fear on hughtons right at the off when shaking hands.
To be fair to Hughton, if Brighton lost (as they subsequently did) on Saturday and do so a few more times, he's likely to be out of his job, whereas perhaps short of getting beaten in every game from Saturday through to the season's end, SD's job's secure.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2104 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:To be fair to Hughton, if Brighton lost (as they subsequently did) on Saturday and do so a few more times, he's likely to be out of his job, whereas perhaps short of getting beaten in every game from Saturday through to the season's end, SD's job's secure.
I’d say Dyche job would be more secure if he lost every match from now til end of season tbh.

My biggest qualms with people saying “DYCHE OUT” was that if we got another manager in and went down anyway - would you want anybody but Dyche in charge of a promotion push from the Championship?
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:To be fair to Hughton, if Brighton lost (as they subsequently did) on Saturday and do so a few more times, he's likely to be out of his job, whereas perhaps short of getting beaten in every game from Saturday through to the season's end, SD's job's secure.
Yes that was my view of hughtons situation.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 am

Really surprised and absolutely delighted seeing the result upon waking up yesterday - a HUGE win!

For anyone to claim, however, that Dyche is a tactical genius, is in my opinion, happily cruising in Hindsight Harbour. Of course he should be applauded for the team again having found the strong jaw for which we had become synonymous, but this was (again in my opinion) because he had backed himself into an increasingly dark corner and had no choice but to step outside his comfort zone - Sarri at Chelsea may well have to do this if his own brand of `***** ball` doesn`t soon get him the sack full of golden coins.

I find it hard to believe that anyone thought we were going to get ourselves out of the pickle of our own making after the home defeat by Everton. Up until that point we had been dire and more importantly, Dyche`s stubbornness was blinding him to the truth that the choices he was making had us firmly setting sail for the Championship.

Dyche has, of course, been the best manager in my lifetime (I`m 45) but that doesn`t mean he is above criticism when things ARE going horribly wrong. Up until that Everton game we didn`t have a bloody clue on the field and I certainly was in the dark as to what we were doing watching from the `sidelines`. Thankfully, we have finally put ourselves back on course to see another season in the Premier League but I firmly believe if we hadn`t been pummelled by Everton (as we were by Hull back in the day), the team changes would not have taken place and we would still be right in the mire (we are by no means clear but by George it`s looking a hell of a lot brighter).

Heaton wouldn`t be here any more if not for the Everton game.
McNeil would more than likely have been shipped out on loan if not for the Everton game.
Barnes would very likely have been sold were it not for that Everton game.
Wood would not be reaping the rewards he is now were it not for that Everton game.

Dyche knew he had to make changes and mercifully he did - for which he has to be applauded. I wouldn`t say he made `the call`. He also deserves great credit for seeing the influence Bardsley would have on the team (what a revelation he has been!)

Anyway, just my twopenneth for what it`s worth. I just find this "ne ne told you so!!!" stuff a little churlish and people need to keep in mind how appalling we had been upto and including the Everton game. That defeat was truly a blessing in disguise.

Really hope we can keep this going (anything against Spurs would be great!) and pull away from the bottom.

Up the Clarets!!!!!
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 jrgbfc

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:08 am

All well and good but we did tell you that Dyche - and nobody else - was the man who would turn it round. If he'd have been canned, as quite a number of our bright sparks suggested, survival would not have as been as likely. That's not being churlish, merely intelligent and having had experience of watching the Clarets for more than a few years.....
UTC

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 am

I have a great admiration for Sean Dyche . He is the most successful of all English Managers .He has the knack to choose the right players who are giving satisfaction . We are proud

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:11 am

Great post.

To add to the tactical genius it is also abundantly clear how Dyche and his coaches improve players. The prime example being my favourite Charlie Taylor. Watch a re run of the Wolves fiasco and compare to the last 7 or so games. Night and day. Lots of kudos to the players that have improved but the coaching is absolutely brilliant.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:All well and good but we did tell you that Dyche - and nobody else - was the man who would turn it round. If he'd have been canned, as quite a number of our bright sparks suggested, survival would not have as been as likely. That's not being churlish, merely intelligent and having had experience of watching the Clarets for more than a few years.....
UTC
All well and good but...

`nobody else...` - pure conjecture
...survival would not have as been as likely` - pure conjecture
`merely intelligent` - an irrelevance

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1186 times

Post by 4:20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 am

This period since boxing day is up there with the best since Dyche has been here as manager. Given that we looked nailed on for a catastrophic season, to go 7 games unbeaten in this league (could have been 7 wins on the trot) is remarkable. We really were awful for half the season barring the odd game here and there, we fully deserved to be in the position we were in and now it seems we're well on the way to leaving those dark days in the past. Well done Sean and well done to the team for digging in and sorting it out (thus far) against my expectations.
This user liked this post: HiroshimaClaret

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 am

As far as Hart is concerned what would you have had Dyche do? One clown on the BBC website who called himself a Burnley fan said Hart was a useless signing and the worst we have ever had. Ha ha what nonsense. He was asking why we signed him when we had Heaton and Pope, ignoring the fact that at the time we DIDN'T have Heaton or Pope as they were both long term injured. Hart did a job and we should be grateful because without him we may well be in a worse position than we are now. I'm glad Heaton is back as he is better and more vocal and arranges his defence better but let's not knock Hart for a job well done as a stand in.
As for someone saying earlier that thanks to Heaton Wood has improved - I fail to see that connection. It's a bit like Animal Farm where anything good happening was accredited to Napoleon.