Chris McCann given free transfer.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Chris McCann given free transfer.

Post by depechedingle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:24 am

I'm not for one minute saying we should sign him back here at Burnley, but seems a bit harsh on Chris.

When I think of Chris, I always think of what could have been in his career.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/02/09 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Re: Chris McCann given free transfer.

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:01 am

As an unattached player he can sign in the UK but PL days are a long way behind him.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 am

depechedingle wrote:I'm not for one minute saying we should sign him back here at Burnley, but seems a bit harsh on Chris.

When I think of Chris, I always think of what could have been in his career.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/02/09 ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's all we ever heard on here (clarets mad)…. how good he was and how he would be a world beater once he'd realised his potential. We heard it year on year.

Think we got 18 months of a half decent player in the end, nothing more. How long was he here, 10 years ish?

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 am

He was crap way back when

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2311 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am

McCann wasn't all that.

He was bummed to high heaven on here because he was seen , debateably, as a product of our youth system.

Had he not been he'd have been long long forgotten.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 theroyaldyche THEWELLERNUT70

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 am

I liked him and thought he was a good footballer.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie turfytopper boatshed bill

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 am

He was a super player until his injury and he was never as good again.
I thought he should have gone back to CH, where the play was in front of him, instead of the twisting and turning in MF. After seeing him play a brilliant match against Ipswichs Alan Lee from there in emergency. He even found time to score a last minute winner.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:48 am

He had a really good spell for us, but didn't he do his knee ligaments and had a long spell out? I seem to remember him coming back from injury and not quite being the same player.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:53 am

Chris was a cracking player.
Proper box to box, with a lot of power and a good finish. IF Sunderland hadn't crocked him I'm certain he would have gone on to be a Burnley legend. He was never the same when he got back.
A great shame for him and us.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am

Not a patch on marney

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:57 am

McCann was never up to much to be fair. He lacked heart and passion, and was a bang average championship footballer.

I remember the day he signed for Wigan he was celebrating with his bird at Costa coffee in Haslingden, I thought myself good riddance. He really was a nothing player who promised lots but offered nothing
This user liked this post: theroyaldyche

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am

There was a decent player in there but had a habit of going missing which is not a trait you want in a midfielder. As someone else says, he wasn’t a patch on Marney and he certainly doesn’t compare to any of our current crop of midfielders.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 am

McCann was an excellent player for us, but crucially he was in the form of his life when Turner crocked him for Sunderland. In those three games against Man Utd, Everton and Sunderland, he was playing brilliantly. I’m absolutely sure that Dyche would’ve done a great job with him, had he had the chance but he would never have reached the heights of his pre-injury form.
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud elwaclaret

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:He was a super player until his injury and he was never as good again.
I thought he should have gone back to CH, where the play was in front of him, instead of the twisting and turning in MF. After seeing him play a brilliant match against Ipswichs Alan Lee from there in emergency. He even found time to score a last minute winner.
Agree with the bit about playing at centre half. He always seemed a bit rushed on the ball to me in a midfield role if he picked the ball up from the back he quite often ended up lumping hopeful balls forward. At centre half he seemed to be able to see what was happening in front of him. I remember an away match - Leicester I think it was - where he had to step in at centre half part way through the game and he was brilliant.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 am

A move to CH might well have prolonged his career with us. As it was, when he left both parties looked like a separation was the best way forward, as his midfield performances had become predictable and lethargic. Not sure how he got on at Wigan after that as Coyle departed as swiftly as he arrived.

He was absolutely brilliant in the 08-09 season though, and made a great start to PL life before the Sunderland clogger robbed him of his mobility.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 am

He was a good player for us at the time. Shame how things worked out with the injury/injuries but he's still not had a bad career. We've just moved onwards and upwards, thankfully.

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am

I don't think anyone need feel too sorry for him if he picked up over half a million dollars last year. If he's managed to earn anywhere near that throughout the majority of his career he must surely be set up for life if he's been careful with his money.
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:24 am

Him and Kyle Lafferty were both keen on clubbing to the detriment of both their Burnley careers
They promised much and delivered spasmodically both players lacked discipline and desire to work at becoming top players
This user liked this post: Belgianclaret

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:Him and Kyle Lafferty were both keen on clubbing to the detriment of both their Burnley careers
They promised much and delivered spasmodically both players lacked discipline and desire to work at becoming top players
Yes I think that just about sums most of the fellas career up.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 am

Top Claret. wrote:I remember the day he signed for Wigan he was celebrating with his bird at Costa coffee in Haslingden, I thought myself good riddance.
Bloody footballers, flaunting their wealth!

Anyway, not sure I agree with all the criticism on here. Judging him after his injury is harsh, he was never the same again, and he didn't ask to get crocked.

Before that he'd improved continuously and for a fleeting spell before his ACL he looked like he might make it in the Prem, although admittedly that's not much to go on. But he spent most of his time in the Championship with us anyway, where he was alright mostly, sometimes excellent. Undoubtedly his best spell was 08-09 and you could say that about every member of the squad then pretty much.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 pm

I thought he came into his own, in the Prem...and then got the bad injury.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Perhaps Michael Duff will add him at Cheltenham!

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm

He could have been a good player if he had had the right coach to improve him. His choices of clubs since leaving us could have got him a job as a downhill skier he went downhill so fast

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm

As stated above, many people tend only to remember him post injury when he really did struggle and wasn't worth his place. Pre injury he was excellent for us bearing in mind where we were as a club. Whether he could have made a full on PL career I'm not sure and we'll never know, but it would have been interesting to find out. Shame tbh.

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Him and Kyle Lafferty were both keen on clubbing to the detriment of both their Burnley careers
Wouldnt call it clubbing down burnley

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:23 pm

There are some proper wrong uns who post on here it has to be said.

Struggled after his injury. Before that? Pretty good to be fair (and Lafferty was as well)

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Top Claret wrote:McCann was never up to much to be fair. He lacked heart and passion, and was a bang average championship footballer.

I remember the day he signed for Wigan he was celebrating with his bird at Costa coffee in Haslingden, I thought myself good riddance. He really was a nothing player who promised lots but offered nothing
Haslingden really is a den of iniquity. I wonder how many other players have been caught 'giving it large' there and seen their careers spiral downwards as a result. Glad I managed to get out in 1974 when the Buccaneers was enticing so many innocent victims through its doors.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:36 pm

McCann was outstanding at the start of the Premier League season in 2009 and his performance against Everton was simply outstanding. He'd played so, so well in the promotion season and he looked like a player who was going to grab his chance at the top level but then came the injury against Sunderland that kept him out of the game virtually for two years.

After that, he had his good games, but was never anything like as good as he'd been, and certainly not as consistent, as he'd been previously. Why on earth he was given the captaincy too was beyond me, he was definitely not captain material.

But, we've moved on significantly now and McCann at his best wouldn't enhance the squad we've got now. But, for a time, he was a very good player for us.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 pm

At the time he was a good player at the level he was at. Not his fault fans had silly expectations of what he should have been and their views he should of been a world beater. Not bothered about the clubbing as players have always done that regardless of level they are playing at, as long as its not before a game.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Like Chaplow before could have been a good player for us. Had he stayed injury free. Post injury a fraction of the player.

He did have all the attributes you want when he came through. Strong. Athletic. Pretty good on the ball. But he often seemed weak mentally and physically. And nev3r a captain.

As bad as people are saying he was, name a centre midfielder to come through since...

People mention that spell at the start of the prem. But even better than that was his comeback vs derby. Ironically though that performance probably did more harm than good.

I think ten years on. The way the games changed. And with a manager like Dyche he wouldve thrived.

ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 123 times

Post by ClaretFelix » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Now signed for DC United to link up with Rooney after being waived by Atlanta. General feeling amongst Atlanta fans are that they are sad to see him go. Not a world beater but a reliable pro who has played as part of a 3 at the back, left back, left midfield and in the centre throughout his time there, allowing flair players such as Newcastles new signing Miguel Almiron, Hector Villalba and Josef Martinez to do their thing at the top end of the pitch.

Likely to play a similar role at DC, with Rooney, rumoured PSG target Luciano Acosta and Paul Arriola the main creators

I wish him well
Last edited by ClaretFelix on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Some short memories on this thread I think.

McCann, from about (I would say) 2006 to 2009, was one of our very best players most weeks. A true box to box midfielder who was getting 5 or 6 goals a season and won a lot in the air in the middle. He was also still only 22/23 when we got promoted to the Prem in 2009 and looked at home there before his injury.

I think I am right in saying we turned down a big bid for him in the January of the promotion season from Stoke City for around £6m, such was the desire for him to help get us up under Coyle (who really rated him, as evidenced by re-signing him for Wigan).

I thought Lafferty was gash mind, to add a bit of balance as I agreed with Lancaster until he mentioned him! I could not believe we got £3m+ for him with his goals ratio for a centre forward, regardless of his age (and yes, I know he sometimes played out wide but he was awful there too - I will never forget the time he could have passed it across the box for someone to have a tap in and instead attempted to score from a ludicrous angle and missed terribly, think it was Leicester at home?).

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 pm

McCann was gash.,his career is not a patch on Laffertys.

Lafferty was far better, he has gone onto have a far better career, playing for Norwich, Hearts and twice with Rangers. Lafferty has also been a Northern Ireland regular

How anyone can compare them is beyond me

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I remember talking to a Rangers fan when Lafferty was there. He didn't think much to him and reckoned we'd got a very good price.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm

ClaretFelix wrote:Now signed for DC United to link up with Rooney after being waived by Atlanta. General feeling amongst Atlanta fans are that they are sad to see him go. Not a world beater but a reliable pro who has played as part of a 3 at the back, left back, left midfield and in the centre throughout his time there, allowing flair players such as Newcastles new signing Miguel Almiron, Hector Villalba and Josef Martinez to do their thing at the top end of the pitch.

Likely to play a similar role at DC, with Rooney, rumoured PSG target Luciano Acosta and Paul Arriola the main creators

I wish him well
Not bad company for him.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 pm

ClaretFelix wrote:Now signed for DC United to link up with Rooney after being waived by Atlanta
See link from yesterday morning
http://www.uptheclarets.com/mccann-joins-dc-off-waivers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;