Pope: Warm up, hands football to young boy.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bop
Been Liked: 244 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Pope: Warm up, hands football to young boy.

Post by Bop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Pope at the end of the pre- match warm up, closing minutes, climbs into our end - over several rows of seats - and personally hands a football to a Burnley youngster. Lovely to see, risked injury.....smile on the recipient kids face was priceless. Just wanted it noted if there is any club representatives who read the forum. More please - just like the carefully passed over shirts to kids at the end of the game - that’s the kind of gesture that brings players and supporters closer. ALongside better performances and effort. Thank you. Small token gestures that mean a lot and build loyalty.
These 5 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor ropecatchmonkey longsidepies basil6345789 The Enclosure

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Re: Pope: Warm up, hands football to young boy.

Post by paulatky » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 am

Yes noticed that too
Great gesture by Pope

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 am

Not his ball to give a away! :o :lol:

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 am

A while ago they were firing t-shirts into various tiers of the stands during home games.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

Garlicks been on the phone he wants the ball back.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 am

Bop wrote:Pope at the end of the pre- match warm up, closing minutes, climbs into our end - over several rows of seats - and personally hands a football to a Burnley youngster. Lovely to see, risked injury.....smile on the recipient kids face was priceless. Just wanted it noted if there is any club representatives who read the forum. More please - just like the carefully passed over shirts to kids at the end of the game - that’s the kind of gesture that brings players and supporters closer. ALongside better performances and effort. Thank you. Small token gestures that mean a lot and build loyalty.
I saw Pope hand the football over but I'm not so sure it is accurate to suggest he climbed over several rows of seats.

The shirts at the end, it happens occasionally and used to be when Joey Barton led the way. Not seen them do that for a while, but it is brilliant for the kids. I do remember Rhys Williams, while on loan, handing his over after one match and the club billed him for it.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 am

"The shirts at the end, it happens occasionally and used to be when Joey Barton led the way. Not seen them do that for a while, but it is brilliant for the kids. I do remember Rhys Williams, while on loan, handing his over and the club billed him for it"

That is unbelievable Tony.that sounds like a Garlick trick,could never imagine Barry Kilby sanctioning that.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 am

The Enclosure wrote:"The shirts at the end, it happens occasionally and used to be when Joey Barton led the way. Not seen them do that for a while, but it is brilliant for the kids. I do remember Rhys Williams, while on loan, handing his over and the club billed him for it"

That is unbelievable Tony.that sounds like a Garlick trick,could never imagine Barry Kilby sanctioning that.
Barry Kilby would have been the chairman then.
And we were skint.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 am

[quote="ClaretTony" I do remember Rhys Williams, while on loan, handing his over after one match and the club billed him for it.[/quote]
I find that quite staggering, no wonder we couldn't sign him on a permanent deal.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 am

I don't find it unbelievable, if it wasn't sanctioned then why should a player not be asked to pay for it? Unless things have changed the shirts the players wear are not the same as the replicas sold to fans (that used to be the case) and so the club would have to replace the first team shirt not just get one from the club shop.

Not saying its not a lovely gesture, but if I'd handed out work kit I'd expect to pay for it at any job I've ever done, it was a gesture Rhys Williams chose to make not the club.

Bop
Been Liked: 244 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I saw Pope hand the football over but I'm not so sure it is accurate to suggest he climbed over several rows of seats.

The shirts at the end, it happens occasionally and used to be when Joey Barton led the way. Not seen them do that for a while, but it is brilliant for the kids. I do remember Rhys Williams, while on loan, handing his over after one match and the club billed him for it.

It was a nice gesture wasn’t it CT. I’d had a few scoops but would have thought Pope levitating up to where the boy was with his father would possibly have drawn more attention.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:00 pm

With Pope it was the hoardings and a couple rows of seats and the lad leaned over for it

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm

He did the same at home to Southampton to a young lad in the Hargreaves lower, the steward went and got the ball back