Gordon Banks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2053 times

Re: Gordon Banks

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 pm

Some very nice comments from Pele about him:

'I scored so many goals in my life, but many people, when they meet me, always ask me about that save. While it was indeed phenomenal, my memory of Gordon is not defined by that - it is defined by his friendship. He was a kind and warm man who gave so much to people.

'So I am glad he saved my header - because that act was the start of a friendship between us that I will always treasure. Whenever we met, it was always like we had never been apart.

'I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family he was so proud of. Rest in peace, my friend. Yes, you were a goalkeeper with magic. But you were also so much more. You were a fine human being'.
These 4 users liked this post: Vino blanco Paul Waine Bin Ont Turf mdd2

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:06 am

Watched some YouTube videos tonight and it's weird, because it was a different time with TV, how little footage there is of him.

There's a save in one of them , against Scotland and possibly Denis Law, where he's chipped and somehow gets back to flip it around the post. Amazing stuff.

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Aye. Bobby was fluent in Portugese :D
You know you often post some good, relevant comments.

But when you post things like this you just come across as one of the many trolls on here.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am

Some fantastic photos of the great man in action on the Guardian Website

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ga ... n-pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the paper itself, (but unfortunately it looks like it is not available on line) there is one of Banks making a save for Stoke and the only other player in shot is our very own Alex Elder in Stoke colours. Even if his head was chopped off, you would be able to identify him from the legs which look like two five hundred year old oak trees. Personally I would not like to have been a winger tackled by him in his heyday.
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 am

Tony - this is a thoroughly uplifting article to read and I would like to thank you for putting into words in such a concise and affectionate manner your tribute.

I was at the Leicester 5-2 match and had forgotten that Banks played that day.

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
In the paper itself, there is one of Banks making a save for Stoke and the only other player in shot is our very own Alex Elder in Stoke colours. Even if his head was chopped off, you would be able to identify him from the legs which look like two five hundred year old oak trees. Personally I would not like to have been a winger tackled by him in his heyday.
In the 5-2 home win v Leicester with Banks in goal referred to elsewhere on this thread, I seem to recall Elder scoring a screamer from outside the box. I was there that day and I haven't checked but I think the game was around March 67, poss 66. I'd been dragged to the Ideal Homes Exhibition at Mcr's Free Trade Hall in the morning and roped my Dad into taking me to the Turf in the aft.

BTW - Gordon Banks was a truly great 'keeper and a gentleman as well.

alf_resco
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by alf_resco » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:36 am

Hmm just checked. Oct 15, 1966. So I got the wrong month. I remember it was freezing. Haha.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am

alf_resco wrote:Hmm just checked. Oct 15, 1966. So I got the wrong month. I remember it was freezing. Haha.
We played Leicester again two weeks later, this time at Filbert Street, and lost 1-5. Remarkably Alex Elder scored our only goal that day.

Not only that, in the away game at Leicester in the previous season we won 4-2 and Elder scored again.