The Future Of The Club Is ThroughThe Roof I mean Youth

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

The Future Of The Club Is ThroughThe Roof I mean Youth

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Its a foregone conclusion that our best years is down to that fact
With what happened to it before and while i blame a lot on Howe he left this part of our blue print like a scrapyard
We are fashioning it in the right direction quicker than i expect and the results are showing
All though at that level it can quickly change things look positive and especially with a player like McNeill possess it can only breath coincidence into all levels get a few more coming though this route and it will really be something.
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret bfcjg

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Re: The Future Of The Club Is ThroughThe Roof I mean Youth

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Well said sir

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:00 pm

I think there is a lot of mileage in us keeping a very close eye on the young lads who don’t quite make it at MUFC, MCFC, and Liverpool.. of course we’ve been doing that..
( Trippier. Mee. Keane. Dunne?)

More of the same please.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 pm

All well and good i am on about through the academy them players you mention
Trippier. Mee. Keane. were already bench ready its good and yes its great we pick those sort off but they get harder by the season to find and its been fantastic bit of bussiness with fees
We have Benson, Massanka as fallen back a bit but theirs nothing like singing,
hes one of our own hes one of our own Dwight Mcneil is one of our own see theirs a diffrence to that

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Tripps Mee and Keane were paid transfers and already well on their way to first team football whereas McNeill and Dunne were "cast offs" and the attrition rate is much higher when young players who are released by clubs come to us. Benson and the lad now on loan at Swindon also seem to be prospects but not sure if they have been let go by our bigger neighbours. There is a lad who is ex-Arsenal, not sure if that is Benson.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:53 pm

There is also another way of getting players from those bigger clubs and I know at least one who was so ambitious he left one of those clubs to get 1st team football here.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:I think there is a lot of mileage in us keeping a very close eye on the young lads who don’t quite make it at MUFC, MCFC, and Liverpool.. of course we’ve been doing that..

More of the same please.
Exactly this. Those clubs will have plenty of good young players good enough for us but not quite for them. The other thing is we’re only an hour away. They won’t need to move and get settled in a new area. We’ve got a great opportunity being the only north west club in the PL.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 am

You have to be extremely lucky to bring a youth player all the way through to first team football. There's too many vultures circling for any good prospects.
We got lucky with JRod being a late bloomer.

Bringing in cast offs from the top academy's is the way to go. Some won't look up to it compared to the very best youth players but improve with more game time at Burnley.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:07 pm

South West Claret. wrote:There is also another way of getting players from those bigger clubs and I know at least one who was so ambitious he left one of those clubs to get 1st team football here.
Joe Hart or Aaron Lennon are the only 2 1st team squad players I can think of who came to us from a top 7 club. Or do you mean Taylor and Wood who joined us from the world's biggest club who don't play in a top division?

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Koiki came to Burnley via the Kinetic Foundation set up by Harry Hudson in the Croydon Area in response to the riots in 2012

https://www.facebook.com/kineticfoundat ... 927606742/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 pm

good links with the bigger clubs is helping as well. When Man Utd release players even at age 8, they give Burnley the heads up

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:42 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:I think there is a lot of mileage in us keeping a very close eye on the young lads who don’t quite make it at MUFC, MCFC, and Liverpool.. of course we’ve been doing that..

More of the same please.
We are still doing that. Marley Blair, Anthony Glennon & Matty Rain have all come in from Liverpool while Josh Benson was released by Arsenal.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Its a excellent step to get these players in relatively young and develop them to the way we set up and grain them into our culture.
i find it exciting when you can see a bunch of players with potential striving to breakthrough.
Especially when theirs talk about some of these players being loned out to the championship.
Even better when they make the step to grace our bench i thought we were years away from what McNeill as brought to the table.
The only thing that needs aligning now is a good scouting system but that will take time and i know the club is working hard in this area and I think we have had to start from scratch to get this much need area up and running.
I very much appreciate Tony's input on all he does with the information he delivers about grassroots levels as I would be as green as the grass on it all living a far
But I have always been interested in what happens under the water level of the club following its progress, as this tells you to an extent how strong we really are and i feel we are getting there now UTC.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:58 pm

I was brought up with the interest. My dad never used to
miss reserve and Youth Cup ties on the Turf and he dragged me on with him.

It’s really good when you see a young player with real potential. I recall the first time I saw a 16 year old Trevor Steven and went to work in Preston the following day telling all the Nob Enders that we had a future international. It wasn’t like that with Jay & Dwight though initially but you could see them improve all the time.

I still enjoy going to the games every bit as much. Whether there’s another first team player in there I don’t know but both the u18s & u23s are recovering and improving.

We seem to be covering all bases. I was talking to Pash on Monday evening and he’s doing a lot of work now scouting players from 17 to 21. We are also bringing in players from other clubs at 16 and younger as well as trying to bring our own kids through.

Youth development is a slow process but no doubt things are improving again. Being in the Premier League helps of course as does moving up to Cat 2.

Hard to believe now that just three years ago the youth team was as bad as it had been in years. Long may the improvement last.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Who was in charge of the Youth Setup when we signed McNeil and then Dunne and Koiki?

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:13 pm

I have lived more than 100 miles from the Turf since 1966, however, I have attended youth matches whenever I could tie them in with first team games. I have always been interested in youth development and I have to agree that, under Eddie Howe, we stagnated and then started to go backwards and this was very sad to see.
Over the last two or three seasons we have started making progress and, having seen Dwight McNeil play at Under 18 level and then quickly moved into the next age group, I was pleasantly surprised when he got his chance this season in the Europa League, followed by the Man United game and Carabao Cup at Burton.
I wondered whether he would feature more, however, with other players coming back, he was overlooked until his sub appearance against Everton on Boxing Day. I am so pleased that he took his chance and that he is fulfilling the promise which the club must have felt he showed..

I am disappointed that, because of the various changes to our PL fixtures, I have been unable to see any youth games at all this season at Burnley, although I have seen plenty of other youth team games in the north east with the clubs up here.
I am hoping that the small steps we have taken recently will develop into something special in the future and we find a few more gems.