Best Memory You Have Visiting A Small Ground

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Re: Best Memory You Have Visiting A Small Ground

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:Mine was at the Gay Meadow in the Fa Cup! What a finish to the game that was. Brilliant.
Got knock out 1-0 and so did that hero copper not the John Bond One The promotion season 81 season

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Oldham 1 Burnley 4, F.A. Cup 4th round 1974.

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Stafford away in the cup was memorable....car full of us got there for 11 for a drink...all pubs shut on police advice but we saw regulars going round the back to get in....we knocked on window and landlord said we could have a drink....we goes in and had a drink and played darts...after a short time landlord arrives with a tray of cheese and crackers on the house which were well received....closer to the match there were loads of burnley fans trying to get in pub and landlord asked us what we thought....we told him there would be no bother so he opened the doors....he couldnt cope on the bar so us 5 helped him behind bar and got glasses etc....he said it was the busiest his pub had ever been and thanked us....he was good with us so returned the favour.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Siddo

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Norman Jones excursions was always an eventful experience plenty of mad heads looking worse for ware
Went to Chesterfield with his two coach crew pandemonium in town centre mad has all of the constabulary was out that day
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:35 pm

Pstotto wrote:Oldham 1 Burnley 4, F.A. Cup 4th round 1974.
Was you across the pitch?

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 pm

grandparents allotment

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Norman Jones excursions was always an eventful experience plenty of mad heads looking worse for ware
Went to Chesterfield with his two coach crew pandemonium in town centre mad has all of the constabulary was out that day
He was still at it ten years ago. Southampton away.

Pure coincidence that it was pure carniage that day but no doubt he thought it was his doing. Put a coach on. One of the most eventful away days ever. And i only got the coach back not there! :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20190214-224956_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190214-224956_Chrome.jpg (493.89 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Screenshot_20190214-225018_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190214-225018_Chrome.jpg (294.36 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Screenshot_20190214-225103_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190214-225103_Chrome.jpg (152.6 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:grandparents allotment
Take it you didn't like travelling that far then :lol:

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 pm

todclaret wrote:Does anyone recall our FA Cup tie away at Nuneaton Borough?
I remember going to that game by train with Selwyn and having to avoid a mob of prowling Coventry fans

Stumbled across footage a while ago

https://youtu.be/cnk8KQvbb9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was at that game. Kicked off a bit as we left the ground. I was on a coach run by Box Car and some other bloke. As we pulled away from the ground a brick came through the window in front of me. No fun all the way back to Burnley with no window in November.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 pm

In the Oldham away match in 74 I was one of the twenty or so Clarets in their end, who started to sing Burnley chants. Their boys came charging down at us, we got stuck in and chased them off onto the pitch, then the Burnley fans came over the pitch. I also remember going to Workington away in a cup game of some sorts as well as going to Northampton away at their old ground when it only had three sides: but, for the visit of the 'bigger' clubs in those days they put up some steel work terraces down the 'empty' side, to get more on. These make-shift terraces were actually quite dangerous and I recall some people falling off he back of them, only about a five foot drop though.

Apart from that I was at Hartlepool, Maidstone, Nuneaton, Stafford, Barnet...great days, great memories.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Bad has when the windows went through Central coach Coventry high field rd 82/83 season milk cup won two nil paul Mcgee brace
Bradford windows went
Train in 79 coming back from Ewood
Stoke Five windows left had to wait for a replacement coach
This user liked this post: Herts Clarets

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:23 pm

dougcollins wrote:First visit to the brand new Diva Stadium saw four of us serving behind the bar cos the pub couldn't cope with the numbers.
I went ..... first ever League game at that ground, full house, marching band, souvenir programme ..... we were the perfect vistors, played like the Washington Generals playing the Globetrotters, and lost ( 3-0 ) ??

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 pm

Was that at the Diva in the Fa cup won 1-0
just seen must have played a League game before that
Had fun at Sealand rd once in a night match when we broke through the segregation and cleared their end behind the goals and watched the rest of the match very proud from that vintage point

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 am

Vino blanco wrote:In the Oldham away match in 74 I was one of the twenty or so Clarets in their end, who started to sing Burnley chants. Their boys came charging down at us, we got stuck in and chased them off onto the pitch, then the Burnley fans came over the pitch. I also remember going to Workington away in a cup game of some sorts as well as going to Northampton away at their old ground when it only had three sides: but, for the visit of the 'bigger' clubs in those days they put up some steel work terraces down the 'empty' side, to get more on. These make-shift terraces were actually quite dangerous and I recall some people falling off he back of them, only about a five foot drop though.

Apart from that I was at Hartlepool, Maidstone, Nuneaton, Stafford, Barnet...great days, great memories.
We bailed you out at Oldham ...or maybe it was just an excuse to join you.. It was like British bulldog dodging the police on the pitch.it was Villa in the next round and they brought one or two that day if my memories up to speed.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 am

No, I watched it from the 'stands'... I was only twelve but hounoured to be scared of our own supporters.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 am

Longside4evr wrote:Also another where we had a goal chalked off going for our 21 game unbeaten run losing 2-1 at St James park Exeter in the crappy open end behind the goal in the rain
Selwyn got to the first services and ran up Exeter football club and I shite you not asked to speak with the referee to tell him his feelings these things made them days
Does anyone remember Boothferry park in the rain silver jackets hypothermia ridden day
I was at that game. It rained for 80 minutes, all the goals in the last 10, and a few of us got a lift back to the train station by the local plod in the back of a tranny van. The home fans thought we'd been arrested.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:49 am

Dark Cloud wrote:Torquay (not the play off semi). It poured down just before kick off and we managed to lose 2-0 I think. Chris Pearce was sat beside us in the stand, but not sure who was in the nets in that case. We were garbage in those days and I can't even remember what was going through my mind when we set off at daft o'clock thinking Torquay away was good idea!!
Goalkeeper would be David Williams.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:17 am

Dark Cloud wrote:Torquay (not the play off semi). It poured down just before kick off and we managed to lose 2-0 I think. Chris Pearce was sat beside us in the stand, but not sure who was in the nets in that case. We were garbage in those days and I can't even remember what was going through my mind when we set off at daft o'clock thinking Torquay away was good idea!!
Played between Christmas and New Year so maybe a few too many festive drinks convinced you it was a good idea.
I think Torquay were top of the league at that point too plus we'd picked up a few decent results leading upto that game including the 2-0 midweek win in the cup v Stoke City.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 am

Longside4evr wrote:Four grounds come to mind with those nonexistent heath and safety laws in building regs
Preston railway sleepers
Bradford had them payed the unwanted price
Readings Elm street had them
bury as you say and it was probably the FA cup game when in the late seventies bouncing got knocked out by a goal to nil and fans running over car roofs in the car park
Tottenham's main stand at white hart lane had them too
Notts County - at least the away end - also had a wooden terrace.
Espia wrote:Wimbledon at Plough Lane. Div 4 days. Walked around the ground looking for the 'away' turnstiles and hearing "We can be a right set of bastards when we lose" eminating from inside the pubs. Half time, 0-0 I think, but any excuse for a bit of 'excitement' and a dozen or so climb the barrier and start walking casually to the Wimbledon end behind the far goal looking for a bit of half time diversion. It was quite a baffling spectacle. No intervention by police or stewards. I think I recall they got to the penalty box and then thought better of it.
If that was a mid week game, I got to Wimbledon tube station but had no idea how to get to the ground from there. However it was dark and I saw the floodlights on so headed towards them. It turned out to be the railway marshalling yard!

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 am

AfloatinClaret wrote:Scunthorpe at their 'new' ground late in the season of 1991 or perhaps 1992: I'd been living down south for several years and only ever watched BFC play in away matches around London and the SE, from 1984 the wife (a Leeds fan at the time) began joining me for perhaps three or four late or early season games - she never much fancied midweek matches in January! - so perhaps 20-25 games in total. A lovely warm sunny day and we beat the Iron 3 - 1
April 1991 when Roger Eli hit a purple patch with I think 7 goals in 6 games. Beat Scunthorpe away, beat Aldershot away, beat Peterborough 4-1 (Peterborough went up automatic) and then Blackpool 2-0 all within the space of 10 days. Should have gone up but screwed it up at Maidstone and Rochdale!!!

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 am

Not as far back as many, but Stockport away in the early 2000s stands out to me, we seemed to have more there then they did, and iirc we beat them around 3-1?

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 am

If that was a mid week game, I got to Wimbledon tube station but had no idea how to get to the ground from there. However it was dark and I saw the floodlights on so headed towards them. It turned out to be the railway marshalling yard!

it wasn't the mid week game that was that Micky mouse cup we used to play in if your meaning that 82 or round a bouts it was the only match i missed that season.

We played them twice that season pretty close together we got hammered 4 something if that's the one under the floodlights.

No the match hes implying a bout is the League match with it being like a Summer and a few pints was the order of the day getting down pretty early and this was a top of the table clash with an healthy following.

What happened at half time was pretty surreal about 40 to 50 fans casually like all in sync no one said lets do this walked robot like as they just seemed to go on a stroll no running just casually walk the length of the pitch with no interference from the constabulary and believe me they where bad as if the London police got you in them days, some grounds they used to arrest you just for swearing and it was riff back then and very racist.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 am

Herts Clarets wrote:I was at that game. Kicked off a bit as we left the ground. I was on a coach run by Box Car and some other bloke. As we pulled away from the ground a brick came through the window in front of me. No fun all the way back to Burnley with no window in November.
Was I the other bloke you refer to? :D

It was horrendous after the game and I remember the brick coming through the window.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:05 am

I remember going to Springfield Park, Wigan in 92/93 and thinking it was a dump compared to most Div 4 grounds. We got promoted for this?!

John Deary scored a totally undeserved equaliser in the last minute and I accidentally ended up on the pitch for a moment.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 am

Bootham Crescent

Div 4 championship won in the last minute right in front of me.

Need I say more?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am

Got so many happy memories visiting the smaller grounds most on here have a memory of Springfield Park mine was the wasps in huge numbers liked being chased by gangs of nasty Watford fans also Northampton in Div 4 promotion year the Cobblers were in dire straits at the time and could only produce a photo copied folded match programme, I felt for them. That Div 4 glory season was brilliant we seemed to fill every ground it was a buzz driving down various motorways when every 3rd or 4th car had an Endsleigh man swinging in the back window I thought then you can stuff the idea of this new premier league it can't be as good as this. Think I still feel a bit that way, whatever UTC.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:44 am

Good contribution on this thread and it goes to show how united we was and even though it was a dark era they were jolly Days and some good memory's taken from it.

Remember another away game back then it was the last day of the season away at The vetch field Swansea 84 ish
We had an early start and we had been Circ ing it till the early hours after about an hour of no sleep set off to South Wales.
I remember something that stuck out we pulled up in one of the valleys local shop and their was a group of locals stood talking at the counter.
Has soon as they realised we were from across the boarder the language change to double dutch very common and the road signs was in English and Welsh the English writing was sprayed out its a good job we could read the double dutch as we were still intoxicated.
We pulled up about 5 miles out of the city for pre match at a place called Awnnyanaty or that how i perceived it to have said :lol: :lol: the pub was full as the locals weren't into football the rugby was on so we settled quite nicely and they wasn't a skittle ally in their either to my astonishment so after a few liveners on to the ground.
Well it was another one of them 0-0 boar fests so again cant report to much about the game, but by our following that day I dont think meany others were interested neither and the two sets of players certainly wasn't, be lucky if we had 150 supporters there that day
It was the experience what counts and doing some of these journeys was an achievement in its self.

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Didn’t we once play a pre-season game at Clitheroe? Oddly I seem to remember travelling to this game in a van (as I lived in Clitheroe). I’m pretty sure this was the game when we were stuck in the back of a van with a spilled can of bitumen tar or something slowly seeping towards a bunch of coughing and spluttering lads banging on the division to get the driver to stop.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Was I the other bloke you refer to? :D

It was horrendous after the game and I remember the brick coming through the window.
He paid more than passing resemblance to you!

I remember the brick too, it was the window in front of where I was sat. I often used to travel with Nelson Gasworkers back then and I think it may have had a different outcome if a brick had gone through their window. Some handy blokes used to travel on those trips....

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by expoultryboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Barnet and Southend were brilliant nights . Staying over in Torquay when winston scored and playing football on the beach next day . I was on one of Norman's buses to chesterfield which stopped at a pub on the way , the place was relieved of all its brass on the walls ! I thought the sleepers at deepdale were going to go in the sherpa semi final , when the whole end started bouncing to oghani we're going to Wembley . Queues to big at Halifax and Crewe , so in the end they opened the big exit doors to let us in . So many great memories and so many disappointments when the away end had run out of pies !!!

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by expoultryboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Herts : i used to sometimes travel on the gasworkers bus with andy Brennan . Never been so drunk as the wigan match when we stopped at the upper morris street club ( the wonderful era of John bond ) .

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm

the 2-1 win at Ballmouth last season.
shocking ground -stop serving beer in the ground 15 mins before kick off after pub near ground refused us entry.

probably the worst seaside resort ever for pubs and bars. that's why we stay in Southampton.

Wood's goal won us £219 from the bookies so we had to drink as much of it as we could and we were only going home on Friday!

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Not for the faint hearted but the Old Den was a daunting place or Cold Blow lane.

Just an aside i think their was a few grounds back then with two names for there ground Chesterfield Leeds Rd and Saltergate I am sure they was more.
My memory of the Den was the faces of the Millwall fans as we past their boozers it was like all of Wandsworth jailbirds and the scrubs had turned out as well as the pit bulls from Battersea dogs home had surfaced
I can hear it now they must have been old dockers they was about 40 to 50 pensioners banging the umbrellas to the toon of Millwall rap rap rap
We won 2-0 in the seventies 79 season and most the coaches had their windows put through its was worse than going Ninian Park and we all no what happened their

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Another memory was when we played three pre season friendlies in Folkestone - one game had to be abandoned because the floodlights failed. Think we played QPR and Folkestone but can’t remember the third team.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm

expoultryboy wrote:Herts : i used to sometimes travel on the gasworkers bus with andy Brennan . Never been so drunk as the wigan match when we stopped at the upper morris street club ( the wonderful era of John bond ) .
That was before my time - I started travelling with them around 1985. Though I was at the Wigan game with a few other lads from school. Was that the game when it kicked off during the match? When I was there the police rode a horse into the fans on the bank behind the goal and I got Booted by a stray hoof. Massive bruise on my thigh from that.

Andy Brennan was running the coaches when I travelled with NG. Cronnie used to travel with them, Bob from Nelson CC, bloke from Padiham called Mash amongst the characters I remember. I was talking to Brenno before the Charlton game - the one where we went 23 23 undefeated and recalling the trips. He got nicked at Crewe as soon as the bus door opened, as we had stopped in Sandbach for a few pre match liveners. Landlord invited us back after the game and would put sarnies on, but the Old Bill were having none of it. I often used to meet the bus on my motorbike and they used my crash helmet to do a collection for the driver. Some very enjoyable days out, if you remove the actual football from the equation. :D

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Herts Clarets wrote: Some very enjoyable days out, if you remove the actual football from the equation. :D
Why did that remind me of the 4-0 defeat at Chester in 85/86? We never saw Buchan again after that debacle.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Why did that remind me of the 4-0 defeat at Chester in 85/86? We never saw Buchan again after that debacle.
Ah that was a game I went to with the Gas. I went around the pubs of Chester with Elly (Andrew Short) for a few hours before the game. We went in the stand and nearly got nicked at full time for protesting when the players went off, especially Peter Devine who was laughing at the protests. Also recall hanging around the players entrance after the game to give them, the Manager and the Directors some of our views. That was the archetypal cracking day out until the debacle on the pitch got in the way.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 pm

HB Claret wrote:Another memory was when we played three pre season friendlies in Folkestone - one game had to be abandoned because the floodlights failed. Think we played QPR and Folkestone but can’t remember the third team.
Was the third team Maidstone? rumour had it that because we were loosing 1-0 to (Folkestone I think) and only about 10 minutes left to play Dave Burnley cut the power off :D

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:37 pm

What a fantastic thread! So many games I can recall mentioned above. It's strange how we actually relate our best memories to some truly horrendous away performances from the past. The Barnet one stuck out for me. I was working in London so travelling to the game was not bad on the tube. I had been bitten by something rather exotic at the hotel I was staying at (no, it wasn't a woman!) and I had a slightly sore lower leg. I went to the game and spent the entire game trying to see any of the match in amongst the very packed away end. Woke up in the morning to see my leg had swollen twice its size and was rushed in to hospital. Spent a week in hospital trying not to die of severe blood poisoning. To be fair, the actual game wasn't much better than the week which followed it :)

The 91/92 season probably provided my best away games though. Doncaster was fun - absolute boiling day I seem to remember and Billy Whitehurst saw red (literally, as he was a big unit by then). Wrexham was frustrating as I had been on holiday with the then girlfriend, off the plane early morning, back home by 10am so I said I was heading off to Wrexham - she said "no you ain't"! Couldn't believe I missed that game and Lanky's hat trick. She was binned shortly after :) The 2-2 at Scunthorpe was amazing. Davis' last minute equaliser felt like winning the cup. Not sure why but I remember that feeling, jumping around behind the goal, just fantastic! Obviously, Carlisle and York were the pinnacle - I'd witnessed my first promotion.

The thing is you think it isn't as good now as it was then but it really is. Winning at Chelsea, drawing at United and Liverpool. The away games have changed, sure, but there are some amazing days out.

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Goodclaret wrote:What a fantastic thread! So many games I can recall mentioned above. It's strange how we actually relate our best memories to some truly horrendous away performances from the past. The Barnet one stuck out for me. I was working in London so travelling to the game was not bad on the tube. I had been bitten by something rather exotic at the hotel I was staying at (no, it wasn't a woman!) and I had a slightly sore lower leg. I went to the game and spent the entire game trying to see any of the match in amongst the very packed away end. Woke up in the morning to see my leg had swollen twice its size and was rushed in to hospital. Spent a week in hospital trying not to die of severe blood poisoning. To be fair, the actual game wasn't much better than the week which followed it :)

The 91/92 season probably provided my best away games though. Doncaster was fun - absolute boiling day I seem to remember and Billy Whitehurst saw red (literally, as he was a big unit by then). Wrexham was frustrating as I had been on holiday with the then girlfriend, off the plane early morning, back home by 10am so I said I was heading off to Wrexham - she said "no you ain't"! Couldn't believe I missed that game and Lanky's hat trick. She was binned shortly after :) The 2-2 at Scunthorpe was amazing. Davis' last minute equaliser felt like winning the cup. Not sure why but I remember that feeling, jumping around behind the goal, just fantastic! Obviously, Carlisle and York were the pinnacle - I'd witnessed my first promotion.

The thing is you think it isn't as good now as it was then but it really is. Winning at Chelsea, drawing at United and Liverpool. The away games have changed, sure, but there are some amazing days out.
Slightly off topic, but the footage of the fans behind the goal on the Champions video when we equalised is something else!

That video! Gillingham game...
"Randall. Francis. What was that?? RANDALL!!!"
Great stuff!
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:11 pm

New years day about 8 mins late getting in at Chesterfield they were already two up
by time we payed the entry fee happy Days,
Halifax the Shay night match being chased off hundreds running up the streets with scaffold bars as we walked back to the train station
On arriving on the platform finding out that someone had been craft knifed across the face.
You had to really be on your toes in them days always expect the unexpected
Does anyone remember the incident after our famous victory at the lane i was their that night Milk Cup 82/83 season 1-4 one of our fans took a fatal stabbing walking through some flats after the game it was well dodgy at times.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Rochdale - what a sh!thole !

Brizzle - Let's all laugh at Burnley, until we beat them!

Sarfhampton - what a bunch of Neanderthals!

Barnsley 2013-14 season stands out as a good night!

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:01 pm

Zom Zom wrote:Slightly off topic, but the footage of the fans behind the goal on the Champions video when we equalised is something else!

That video! Gillingham game...
"Randall. Francis. What was that?? RANDALL!!!"
Great stuff!
I think the video sums up what went on in there. It was just mental. Perhaps we knew we were actually going to achieve something? There was just a "we've just won" feeling (I know we drew!), not sure why but it really sticks with me :)

Man of Kent
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Man of Kent » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:39 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:I was at Barnet..what a belter of an afternoon/evening.

Maidstone United though...played at Dartford..a sunny Saturday, in the 1980's..think we won 0-1.

Tons of Clarets there, all over the ground, pubs full...what tickled me was the announcement near the end that all the Burnley fans would be let out first, and a request for the Maidstone fans to sit tight, stay locked in, and they would be let out when we had dispersed.

A proper away day that was.
Me and my mate from here in Kent went to that Maidstone/Dartford game and deliberately went in the home end because we had to get away early for a wedding do in East London after the game. We thought we'd avoid being locked in at the end but as Burnley had three of the four ends of the ground, we (as we were in the minority) were locked in by Plod while the visitors from Burnley were let out first. We did win 1-0 and the humiliation of those Maidstone fans around us was hilarious, but I was also mildly peed off.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:47 am

Barnet 0 Burnley 0 1992:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKLMQO_KGb4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Longside4evr

Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by Cabbage » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:21 am

Goodclaret wrote:What a fantastic thread! So many games I can recall mentioned above. It's strange how we actually relate our best memories to some truly horrendous away performances from the past. The Barnet one stuck out for me. I was working in London so travelling to the game was not bad on the tube. I had been bitten by something rather exotic at the hotel I was staying at (no, it wasn't a woman!) and I had a slightly sore lower leg. I went to the game and spent the entire game trying to see any of the match in amongst the very packed away end. Woke up in the morning to see my leg had swollen twice its size and was rushed in to hospital. Spent a week in hospital trying not to die of severe blood poisoning. To be fair, the actual game wasn't much better than the week which followed it :)

The thing is you think it isn't as good now as it was then but it really is. Winning at Chelsea, drawing at United
and Liverpool. The away games have changed, sure, but there are some amazing days out.
I was living and working in Maidstone at the time of the Barnet game training to be an accountant. I was on an audit that day and told the client I had to go back to the office for an audit seminar. I hightailed it to North London. When I got to the office the next day my manager asked how the audit seminar had been. What were the chances of that? The office ringing to ask how I was getting on! He went on to say the first thing they said in the office was who were Burnley playing that night. 6 months later I’d qualified. At my training partner meeting I was asked where I saw my future. Burnley came the reply. The rest, as they say, is history. UTC.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:29 am

The Televised game that's on this evening reminds me of another away excursion back in South Wales Newports Summerton Park.
The results didnt mater it was the crack that made them we must have got so used to getting nowt we were all on the gravy train like hoping for a win on the football coupons
It was near to the end of the season as i seem to recall saying this without checking we where singing the national football anthem you know the one
This time more than any other time this time were going to find away :lol: :lol:

With Chris Pearce, Waddle, Seaman Beardsley and co in there shell suits :roll: :roll:
The Pubs were full as expected with the skittle alleys gleaming but the beer was just about drinkable after a few pubs i remember stood at the bar waiting to be served and the bar tender caught me off guard I was 21 or something over the drinking age anyway but looked young for a 21 year old
I asked me what i was having to drink but with all the noise i miss heared and replied I am old enough he look bemused stared back at me and said I didn't ask that I asked you what you was having.It must have been that Welsh accent :oops:
It was another game with nothing to report 0-0 score draw
But to use the toilets they was a mini version of the Longside segregation behind the goals separating the two sets off fans.
Every time you needed the toilets you had to ask one of the coppers to let you through the gate and wait for their fans to come back out so could use them it was bazaar. One of the lads we was with argued with one of the coppers manning the gate and got arrested for saying he **** on him if he didn't let him through.
That caused us a lengthily wait after the game as we had to collect him from the slammer after the match. I dont know what they done to him but he never spoke another word on the 160 mile trip back it was a blessing two.He was one of them if we had a bad game would never shut up and very argumentative on it points.
Just checked it was 1981/82 season
Season Date Home Score Away Competition
1987/1988 Sat 09 Jan Burnley 2 - 0 Newport County League
Sat 22 Aug Newport County 0 - 1 Burnley League
1984/1985 Tue 02 Apr Newport County 2 - 1 Burnley League
Tue 02 Oct Burnley 2 - 0 Newport County League
1983/1984 Sat 07 Apr Newport County 1 - 0 Burnley League
Tue 06 Sep Burnley 2 - 0 Newport County League
1981/1982 Sat 01 May Newport County 0 - 0 Burnley League
Sat 16 Jan Burnley 2 - 1 Newport County League
1980/1981 Sat 15 Nov Newport County 1 - 2 Burnley League
Sat 16 Aug Burnley 1 - 1 Newport County League
1946/1947 Sat 03 May Newport County 0 - 3 Burnley League
Mon 09 Sep Burnley 3 - 2 Newport County League

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:53 am

Old style clicky turnstiles at Yeovil Ings and Vokes goals and an og by us for a 2-1 win.
Really friendly folk who played in green like Burscough my home town team

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Not for the faint hearted but the Old Den was a daunting place or Cold Blow lane.

Just an aside i think their was a few grounds back then with two names for there ground Chesterfield Leeds Rd and Saltergate I am sure they was more.
My memory of the Den was the faces of the Millwall fans as we past their boozers it was like all of Wandsworth jailbirds and the scrubs had turned out as well as the pit bulls from Battersea dogs home had surfaced
I can hear it now they must have been old dockers they was about 40 to 50 pensioners banging the umbrellas to the toon of Millwall rap rap rap
We won 2-0 in the seventies 79 season and most the coaches had their windows put through its was worse than going Ninian Park and we all no what happened their
78 or 79, was it the last game of the season when we played at Millwall ?
I remember sitting in the main stand and across from us the Millwall fans with Klu Klux Klan headgear were battling with the old Bill !
After the the game Millwall fans were fighting to get on our Viscount Central coach, we managed to fight them off, think we only took the 1 coach down

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Aclaret wrote:78 or 79, was it the last game of the season when we played at Millwall ?
I remember sitting in the main stand and across from us the Millwall fans with Klu Klux Klan headgear were battling with the old Bill !
After the the game Millwall fans were fighting to get on our Viscount Central coach, we managed to fight them off, think we only took the 1 coach down
I have been to Millwalls Ground a few times but the memory I have was on the way back at the service stop around Watford Gap we were in with a couple more coaches who had also lost a window or two and the take was at least five coaches had been bricked We finished mid table that season and Millwall finished safe by a point as Blackpool lost and was relegated