Best Memory You Have Visiting A Small Ground

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Best Memory You Have Visiting A Small Ground

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:51 pm

I would Like to here some of your Excursions out of great days we frequented in our jolly dark days. I loved it to bits going to some of them small grounds theirs loads as we spent best part of 20 years travelling round them its a big chunk of my roller coaster ride supporting our teams fortunes.
York was up their but we knew what was likely to come in that game and guaranteed a excellent following as did Carlisle.
But my best one of my memory and goes down as a really fantastic day/night was
Barnet at Underhill on a Tuesday night match the volume of support we took down was over overwhelming.
I drove a minibus down and got to Potters Bar at 1 O'clock in the afternoon the pubs was neck to neck down the main street and all day they where filling up by 5 Oclock some where spilling out onto the main street as they were ramed packed I remember trying to get inside one of the pubs they were dancing on the tables the noise would have been heard up on seven sisters Rd.
Outside the pubs it was now vans cars coaches nearly every other vehicle seem to being clarets piping their horns in acknowledgement has they passed.
the local police had been informed by now as it was rush hour and the shear volume of fans pack flowing out on the main drag was obviously becoming a concern they just weren't prepared and neither was I to be honest
I recall the local constabulary trying to get into the pub really stupid thing to do with about 200 to 300 hundred in there that had started drinking since dinner and
yes you guessed it they came out hat less with big cheering has the hats were getting thrown about the establishment to the sound of "I went in an alehouse i use to frequent" every pub you went in it was the same i dont know but the buzz was growing all day and everybody well before just new that they never in there wildest dreams expected what was unfolding.
I we were walking down to the ground my thoughts were will we get in the ques were massive the Barnet and Barry Fry must have wondered what the hell had hit them.
It was getting silly now it was 7 35 and there were still hordes joining the ques we got inside at 7 45 and the players were out but i think they delayed it as they had to open another section of the ground up to accommodate the shear volume of support
we had took over half the ground on a Tuesday night down in London 4th division with the biggest bump you had ever seen in one of there goalmouth i wonder if thats how they named there ground from.
The match well to be honest there nowt to report about it finished up nil nil but back in them jolly days some might think jolly days whats he talking about they were brilliant and I know where I like to be and its not the Shitty Etihad Stadium :roll: that's for sure.
These 3 users liked this post: fatboy47 Colburn_Claret kritichris

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Re: Best Memory You Have Visiting A Small Ground

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:01 pm

All I can recall of that trip to Barnet was an awful game and us being shoved into an area that was nowhere big enough for the numbers we took.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 pm

The game never reflected the day one bit i think everybody was just stunned and astonished
Both teams were up the top of the league it could have been 1st and second in the league clash but i can not tell you anything about that game other than a uttermost droll 0 -0 you could wish for.And believe me I've been Hartlpool on a night match in the Johnstones paint Trophy or what ever it was called.
But in them days you could get thumped so 0-0 was a result but as Tony says I could not tell you a thing about it that's what makes it special I think

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 pm

I enjoyed going to Darlington down the cobbled backstreets to the ground on a nice sunny day.1..1 robbie painter? Might have scored.always enjoyed away games that took in the blubber-houses road....
This user liked this post: Dazzler

tybfc
Been Liked: 1303 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Would that Tuesday game been around Christmas time?

Dazzler
Been Liked: 874 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 pm

The old wigan ground...best memory of that day was getting a bit of a kicking outside woolworths…..we were a bit outnumbered 20-5 ;)

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:30 pm

tim_noone wrote:I enjoyed going to Darlington down the cobbled backstreets to the ground on a nice sunny day.1..1 robbie painter? Might have scored.always enjoyed away games that took in the blubber-houses road....
Did you used to travel with the Culvert crew?
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Yes do I remember thinking there is going to be trouble tonight with people being crushed on the way down to the away end.

I was in there little seated stand on the longside and could see the crowds at the back of the opposite standing side.

As an aside I do remember spotting that arrogant slimy vice Chairman of Arsenal David Dein at the turnstiles and remember thinking someone might have a go at him with him being influential in all things Premier League.

Dein's Role in developing the Premier League.

David Dein was one of the major architects of the formation of the Premier League in 1992, which would re-shape the structure and finances of English football. He was determined to help football's metamorphosis from struggling sport into a multi-million pound industry. "I felt football was really a sleeping giant and had a long way to go," Dein said. "After seeing how the Americans operated their sport, particularly American football and baseball and basketball, I felt we were light years behind. We had so much more to give as an attraction. In an interview with the Financial Times, Greg Dyke the current Chairman of the FA stresses the central role of David Dein in the creation of the Premier League when he states "David Dein was the most revolutionary bloke I've met in football. David Dein created the Premier League it was his idea.

In June 2015, David Dein's role in the formation, development and success of the Premier League was further acknowledged when he came 10th in a Daily Mail article entitled "Top 50 most influential people in Premier League History". While taking into account his leadership of Arsenal as a contributing factor, the article attributes his role as one of the 'gang of five' (figureheads from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur who were the architects of the Premier League) as the main reason for occupying a top 10 position alongside other influential figures such as Arsene Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson and Rupert Murdoch.

Today Dein continues to fly the flag for the Premier League representing English football's elite competition around the world in various gatherings as an official ambassador of the League.

Ed: This is the Barnet away game.
Last edited by South West Claret. on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Wigan and Mansfield you were always a sitting duck as we well know

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Dazzler wrote:Did you used to travel with the Culvert crew?
No......the wife in case I got chased :lol:

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:50 pm

tim_noone wrote:No......the wife in case I got chased :lol:
By other women I presume...? ;)

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Dazzler wrote:By other women I presume...? ;)
:lol: :lol: "The Ex Wife :?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Enjoyed going to Doncaster for some reason...awful ground.
I enjoyed Darlington aswell - or I did on the day the lad climbed the floodlight as for whatever reason it was a brilliant atmosphere.
Disliked Scarborough - went there 4 times and got beaten every time I think.

Loved going to Wrexham - not sure if that is clouded by being there for the 6-2 win but I always found the locals pretty friendly.

Of all the small clubs / grounds though Ewood was the worst !!

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 pm

A Barnet fan I know was there. He said that most Burnley fans were friendly and a good laugh. The pub he was in a had a very high ceiling and Burnley fans were apparently placing small stickers everywhere - would it have been 'Teasdale Out' perhaps. He was mighty impressed that somehow a sticker had been placed on this high ceiling.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Remember the Barnet game for the steward who was ribbed throughout because of his resemblance to Mr Bean. Another good away game for me (as it is only 45 miles from where I live) was the Maidstone game where I believe the home crowd were kept in and the away fans were allowed out first. Possibly my favourite away game though was winning 4 :1 against Southend to virtually guarantee promotion.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Torquay in a League Cup game, 1976-77 very early in the season.

Lovely day. Went by train from Paddington, beautiful journey. Must have got their quite early so we played a round of clock golf. As often the game was an anti-climax as we lost 1-0 to ex-Claret Willie Brown's goal. Then, on the way back we tried to get some sleep in the compartment train. There was ample space but unfortunately one of our party decided to take his shoes off - he had really smelly feet and I don't think anyone except him got any sleep.

Fenwick
Been Liked: 202 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by Fenwick » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Chesterfield was a good day out. The home fans marched down the ground at half time to get behind the other goal. I remember being at Bury (don't know if that counts as a small ground) when the wooden away terrace was literally bouncing.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:14 pm

The serving hatch being opened and the subsequent smell of bacon butties wafting over the Away End at the Abbey Stadium during Stan’s Promotion Season. A long Tuesday night drive down in my old shed of a van to see a scrappy game settled by a scrappy Andy Cooke goal.
Great bacon butties, too.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Seem to remember Rocky getting naked at Wycombe 94/95/96.

And I definitely remember some knobhead gobshite at Stockport standing up and giving it large to clarets in the away end when someone dropped him with a well aimed can of coke.

Ah, happy days.

todclaret
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by todclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:31 pm

I was at that Barnet game - 28/03/1992. The biggest 4881 crowd the world has ever seen. Never in the history of football has a crowd of so few been made up of so many.
The match took place shortly before a general election in April. A lot of those stickers referred to by Hipper in post 14 were "Vote for Jimmy Mullen's Going Up Party. You know it makes sense" as well as some Rovers themed ones. I seem to recall locals going about their business totally oblivious to stickers on their back.

The away terrace was accessed through a very narrow lane and after the match some lame head copper took his horse down there and almost caused an almighty crush.
Last edited by todclaret on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:51 pm

I was at Barnet..what a belter of an afternoon/evening.

Maidstone United though...played at Dartford..a sunny Saturday, in the 1980's..think we won 0-1.

Tons of Clarets there, all over the ground, pubs full...what tickled me was the announcement near the end that all the Burnley fans would be let out first, and a request for the Maidstone fans to sit tight, stay locked in, and they would be let out when we had dispersed.

A proper away day that was.

todclaret

Post by todclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:58 pm

[quote="bobinho"]Seem to remember Rocky getting naked at Wycombe 94/95/96.

Wycombe in April 1997. He challenged Selwyn to a bout of sumo wrestling. The only highlight to a miserable 5-0 defeat.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho TsarBomba

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I remember a trip to Doncaster in the 80s. My dad used to take me to most of the reasonably local games when I was still at school but he was a terrible navigator and we always got lost

About 15 minutes before the game we still hadn't found the ground but saw the floodlights in the distance. The day was saved!

Just before kick off we finally parked up and headed towards the lights, except it wasn't the ground it was the floodlights for a railway shunting yard!

Think we managed to find the place before the second half started

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 pm

I Went to the barnet game with my mates....I remember there had been a program about chelsea hooligans on tv and the main lad from that show had traveled across london on his own to watch the match...he bought us a round and we had a good natter about the footy....there were a lot there that night and its definitely the quickest I have ever got to london.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Fenwick wrote:Chesterfield was a good day out. The home fans marched down the ground at half time to get behind the other goal. I remember being at Bury (don't know if that counts as a small ground) when the wooden away terrace was literally bouncing.
Four grounds come to mind with those nonexistent heath and safety laws in building regs
Preston railway sleepers
Bradford had them payed the unwanted price
Readings Elm street had them
bury as you say and it was probably the FA cup game when in the late seventies bouncing got knocked out by a goal to nil and fans running over car roofs in the car park
Tottenham's main stand at white hart lane had them too

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote: Maidstone United though...played at Dartford..a sunny Saturday, in the 1980's..think we won 0-1. Tons of Clarets there, all over the ground, pubs full...what tickled me was the announcement near the end that all the Burnley fans would be let out first, and a request for the Maidstone fans to sit tight, stay locked in, and they would be let out when we had dispersed.

A proper away day that was.
23rd November 1991, I remember it well .... 4th Division title season, Andy Marriott in goal ...

The week before, I'd started on a two week course at the Gatwick Hilton, & the game was on the middle weekend. I was told to claim 2nd Class rail fare from Burnley to Gatwick return ( or mileage ), and a single to get down for the 2nd week, as, assuming we passed, we'd be driving home in our Company Cars, 18 month old Ford Sierra 1.8 GL's. I was 27, and buzzing, never had a Company Car....

I found out that the Manchester/Gatwick shuttle was £35 cheaper than rail, so booked that, flew down on the previous Sunday, did the first week. On the Friday morning, the instructors announced that the weather & roads were dreadful in the Midlands, Scotland and the North East, so we should try to get home ASAP, and " we'll catch up next week " ... at 9.20 I raced into the Terminal, caught the 10.15 shuttle, and met my wife for lunch in Burnley at 12.30pm. One bloke from Walsall, never got home, and stopped all weekend at his brother's in Stanmore ...

The next day, I caught the BFC Supporters Club Coach outside the Turf, travelled down on clear roads, watched the game, they kindly dropped me at Dartford Station after the game, I spent Sunday leisurely reading the papers as the 19 other attendees battled back down to Gatwick for the Monday early start ...Course duly passed, I drove home the following Friday in my first ever Company Car, happy days ... :D

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:All I can recall of that trip to Barnet was an awful game and us being shoved into an area that was nowhere big enough for the numbers we took.
Yea. You couldn't see the goal at the far end were I was stood.
But the support was brilliant.
Great season.
UTC

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Went to Swindon for a pre season friendly in a mini bus from the Waterloo.
It was 90 minutes of MMA meets WWF on the terraces. Must have been 1974?

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Wimbledon at Plough Lane. Div 4 days. Walked around the ground looking for the 'away' turnstiles and hearing "We can be a right set of bastards when we lose" eminating from inside the pubs. Half time, 0-0 I think, but any excuse for a bit of 'excitement' and a dozen or so climb the barrier and start walking casually to the Wimbledon end behind the far goal looking for a bit of half time diversion. It was quite a baffling spectacle. No intervention by police or stewards. I think I recall they got to the penalty box and then thought better of it.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Did the Friday night Roots Hall party Viscount Central Coach and in them days they was no stopping on the way back for a pub stop but on this occasion an exception

todclaret

Post by todclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Does anyone recall our FA Cup tie away at Nuneaton Borough?
I remember going to that game by train with Selwyn and having to avoid a mob of prowling Coventry fans

Stumbled across footage a while ago

https://youtu.be/cnk8KQvbb9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Oxford when 1-0 down with about 5 to play. Knew we were going up after that match. Started to really believe

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:All I can recall of that trip to Barnet was an awful game and us being shoved into an area that was nowhere big enough for the numbers we took.
Exactly what I remember. I think it was 0-0?

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Mine was at the Gay Meadow in the Fa Cup! What a finish to the game that was. Brilliant.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Barnet. Maidstone, Torquay, Stafford Rangers, still probably all better than Springfield Park was at Wigan

edit: didn't read the question properly - thought is was which small grounds where **** lol

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Think it was Plymouth away. Would be circa 92-94
Travelled with Accy clarets. Trusted by my mother to look after my little brother who cant have been more than about 12.
Got to the customary pub stop with a horrendous toothache. Nobody had any paracetamol. Asked at the bar and they had brought back some pain relievers from Turkey. Quick look at ingredients. One word looked like ibuprofen so thought a good bet. Tablets looked like flying saucers with the sherbet inside. Got a bit of stick for taking dodgy Turkish drugs. Couple pints later no pain at all.
Don't remember anything about the game other than a mate getting in for free.

Them were the days

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:17 pm

First visit to the brand new Diva Stadium saw four of us serving behind the bar cos the pub couldn't cope with the numbers.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Also another where we had a goal chalked off going for our 21 game unbeaten run losing 2-1 at St James park Exeter in the crappy open end behind the goal in the rain
Selwyn got to the first services and ran up Exeter football club and I shite you not asked to speak with the referee to tell him his feelings these things made them days
Does anyone remember Boothferry park in the rain silver jackets hypothermia ridden day
Last edited by Longside4evr on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Billy_Bumface
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Post by Billy_Bumface » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Exeter away late 80’s broke down twice on the way down.
Weather was awful, came to the end of an unbeaten run on a pigsty of pitch in a dour game.
The local scrumpy was amazing, never tasted as good before or since. It made the whole trip a very enjoyable day I’ll never forget.

Masham Ale
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Masham Ale » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Remember the night at Barnet, not the match but the police horses pushing their way through a packed little lane next to the ground. That was quite scary. Always thought it was funny walking onto Luton through the houses, seeing the washing lines and then seeing their hospitality 'boxes' down the length of the pitch. I 'm not good at remembering many matches but wasn't it Spicer who ended up in goal there and pulling off a couple of big saves as we won with 10 (or was it 9 men?). Aldershot ... that's all I remember! Shrewsbury. The grass terrace at Rochdale.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Billy_Bumface wrote:Exeter away late 80’s broke down twice on the way down.
Weather was awful, came to the end of an unbeaten run on a pigsty of pitch in a dour game.
The local scrumpy was amazing, never tasted as good before or since. It made the whole trip a very enjoyable day I’ll never forget.
It was the scrumpy that inflicted Selwyn into his exploits at on the way back from Exeter RIP to the Big man Good lad that never to be forgotten
This user liked this post: Billy_Bumface

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Masham Ale wrote:Remember the night at Barnet, not the match but the police horses pushing their way through a packed little lane next to the ground. That was quite scary. Always thought it was funny walking onto Luton through the houses, seeing the washing lines and then seeing their hospitality 'boxes' down the length of the pitch. I 'm not good at remembering many matches but wasn't it Spicer who ended up in goal there and pulling off a couple of big saves as we won with 10 (or was it 9 men?). Aldershot ... that's all I remember! Shrewsbury. The grass terrace at Rochdale.
Rotherhams Millmoore was the same these grounds were death traps when the hordes from us turned up

dales_claret
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Post by dales_claret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 pm

Espia wrote:Wimbledon at Plough Lane. Div 4 days. Walked around the ground looking for the 'away' turnstiles and hearing "We can be a right set of bastards when we lose" eminating from inside the pubs. Half time, 0-0 I think, but any excuse for a bit of 'excitement' and a dozen or so climb the barrier and start walking casually to the Wimbledon end behind the far goal looking for a bit of half time diversion. It was quite a baffling spectacle. No intervention by police or stewards. I think I recall they got to the penalty box and then thought better of it.
I was going to post the same it was a bizarre incident at half time....boiling hot day as I remember :)

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 pm

HB Claret wrote:Remember the Barnet game for the steward who was ribbed throughout because of his resemblance to Mr Bean. Another good away game for me was the Maidstone game where I believe the home crowd were kept in and the away fans were allowed out first.
I was going to mention the Maidstone game too... The game was played at Dartford's old ground.... It remains the only game I've ever been to, where it was announced on the PA before the game has ended, that the home sculptor terms will be held back to allow the traveling support to leave first.
Barnet was a bit of a squash for a Tuesday night...I think the number of Burnley supporters at the Underhill took the authorities by surprise.

Scarborough was a bit tasty on the summers day when we played there.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Oh yes Aldershot away in 1992. We won 2..1 (I think) . I took my two youngsters and sat them on the front row. Rocky was piszed and tried to get passed ... He ended falling in the direction of my 3 year old.....I had to jump across to save the poor mite......
If he'd have been seriously hurt it would all have been for nothing as the game was expunged from the records... Our 3 points were removed as Aldershot went bust.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Oxford United possibly 1982 when we were verbally abused by that old rogue Captain Bob (Robert Maxwell) the bouncing Czech for wolf whistling the girls throwing sweets into the crowd. I was also at Nuneaton Borough with my uncle. RIP John.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Remember the chants of "Mr Bean, Mr Bean, Mr Bean" at that Barnet steward the night of that 0-0 at Underhill and glad Hampstead mentioned Maidstone where I seem to remember the away end had the sort of wire fence behind it that you normally get around tennis courts. Didn't Tony Hancock make his debut that day or is my memory playing tricks ?
Also went to Aldershot that season and remember walking through a small park containing flower beds behind one end of the ground. We had a proper roofed terrace that day and remember Graham Lancashire scoring the winner but it all counted for nothing when Aldershot went bust in mid season and their results were erased.
More recently remember seeing us play the newly formed MK Dons at the National Hockey Stadium there .....I think Robbie Blake scored a couple that day and remember we had David May playing at centre back
This user liked this post: hampsteadclaret

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Went to Swindon and my mate who was with me was murder for the bandits as we were travelling through the town he so an arcade
As soon as he got off the coach ran about a mile back to gamble all his money and had to wait for the last twenty for the gates to open to see the game

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Scunthorpe at their 'new' ground late in the season of 1991 or perhaps 1992: I'd been living down south for several years and only ever watched BFC play in away matches around London and the SE, from 1984 the wife (a Leeds fan at the time) began joining me for perhaps three or four late or early season games - she never much fancied midweek matches in January! - so perhaps 20-25 games in total. A lovely warm sunny day and we beat the Iron 3 - 1, I was cock-a-hoop driving home, when into the conversation the wife casually dropped the comment: "Do you realise that's the first time I've ever seen Burnley win?"

I may not have achieved much with my life, but console myself with the knowledge that having saved and converted just that one poor soul from her devil-worshipping at Elland Road should be sufficient to pave my way to heaven.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Torquay (not the play off semi). It poured down just before kick off and we managed to lose 2-0 I think. Chris Pearce was sat beside us in the stand, but not sure who was in the nets in that case. We were garbage in those days and I can't even remember what was going through my mind when we set off at daft o'clock thinking Torquay away was good idea!!