Climate strike: schoolchildren walk out to protest

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Re: Climate strike: schoolchildren walk out to protest

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:18 year old voting is pretty scary. 16 year olds is frightening. The people pushing for it are gerrymandering pure and simple.
It might be “pretty scary” over there but not here and if you want to talk bout gerrymandering I suggest you look up what went on in the borough of Westminster in the 60s and 70s with people like Lady Porter... I say lady but I use that word very loosely.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:55 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Because if they are”living” over here they will be consuming more than in their own Country.
How do you arrive at that conclusion?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Nuclear reactors - they are safe when built correctly, maintained correctly and staffed with staff trained correctly

Wind - slack taken up by nuclear, hydro and tidal power

Tidal - expensive and certainly needs some more research, but the tides are renewable and there is loads of power there. I get the arguments against river barriers, but its better for the enviroment long term I think

Hydro - not sure we can dam anymore rivers, but we should maximise it where we can.

If you think fracking is a good idea, then fine, but its an eyesore and I'm far from convinced about its safety, and IT IS NOT A LONG TERM FIX, ITS AN ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE AND INCREASES CARBON EMISSIONS.

The only way to cut carbon emissions and improve the climate is to reduce the number of people living on the planet or stop the people who do live here destroying it. If we can't organise a cull like we tried back in the day to take out the padiham lot, then limit cars to one per household or introduce a tax for a second car and let the rich pay for it, or stop paying £189 for a dryer on amazon to be delivered over 250miles because the one in your local town is £199, or increase road tax for domestic vehicles by 1000% or make a mandatory charge by the mile for air travel so you can't funnel a horrible family with **** kids to benalmadena for a week for £70, or make modern day necessities like a fridge or oven last longer than 18 months before they become beyond economical repair. Stop making things that are inherently BER, there is so much waste because of it. People talk about plastic and the damage it causes....it's all well and good stopping drinking fizzy pop, but are you stopping using your fridge/washer/car/phone etc? Of course not!

This is all hyperbole of course. But we have the power within ourselves, as consumers, to change both the economy and the environment, yet we're always looking for someone to do it for us.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Self explanatory really because consuming more over here because of their extra spend will be greater therefore more immissions then where they came from.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Self explanatory really because consuming more over here because of their extra spend will be greater therefore more immissions then where they came from.
That doesn’t make sense.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:45 pm

Rileybobs wrote:That doesn’t make sense.
Have you considered that people taking this line of attack actually couldn't give a toss about the climate?

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:33 am

Clarets4me wrote:Beat me to it, " Bleeding Claret " ...
Oh so let's not bother trying to change anything!.........".Kids going to school in cars" in my day .....etc etc!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 am

Good post Duncan!

Well, we already only have one car.

But every little thing helps.

But of course it looks fairly pointless if the rest of the world continues to catch up. Like everyone else, I hope that science and recycling continue to find solutions, and like everybody else, hope that there is the political will to enact them.

I'm not confident of the last bit!

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 am

It's funny how the same people who want 16 year old's to have the vote, are the same ones who thinks 15 year old's don't know what they're doing when joining ISIS.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 am

Rileybobs wrote:How is stopping immigration going to impact climate change? Those potential immigrants will still be living on the same planet.
Immigration will became a major issue as the climate changes. Now liveable areas will become uninhabitable. It's probably true that other areas, like Siberia perhaps, may become liveable in time, but my guess the pressure on the UK will increase significantly. Yes they will still be somewhere on this globe so they either find somewhere else or die.

As I already said, we can't feed what we have here.

My attitude is that the climate change disaster will happen - it's too late to stop. We should accept that and do our best for all of us here in the UK. And we should start now.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 am

I can't quite get my head round this strike :shock:
How can they strike (Remove their labour effectively) if they are not employed? Real description is a "boycott of state funded education." Try explaining that to kids in countries where there is no state funded education.
Should the authorities fine their parents for their non-attendance? The country is broke so a pretty good idea IMO.
In a real strike the company involved has the right to sack all the strikers. Shall the schools expel the strikers? A Bit harsh. They're only kids so don't know what they are doing. That's the argument for letting the IS bride back into the UK.

I can understand their concerns but as many people have already pointed out would they really take a stand by walking to school etc? It would be more compelling than a march and banner waving IMHO but of course would inconvenience their lifestyles massively and therefore I doubt any of them would be prepared to do it.
These 2 users liked this post: basil6345789 dsr

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:35 pm

60+ posts on a football messageboard about the protest strike suggests your argument is pish, and you tripping up over the semantics like clippy the paperclip's neurotic, autistic cousin doesn't change the fact that they've done a job by putting the issue into the news cycle.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2236 times
Has Liked: 2142 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Aye, nothing like manufacturing new, electric cars that produces a **** ton more emissions than simply buying a used diesel car

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Surprised va yoof managed to get out of bed in time.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:17 pm

CoolClaret wrote:Aye, nothing like manufacturing new, electric cars that produces a **** ton more emissions than simply buying a used diesel car
Are you suggesting people should buy used diesel cars because the manufacturing process for an electric car emits carbon? What happens when the used diesel becomes so old and worn out it's undrivable and there are no cars left to drive?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Spiral wrote:Are you suggesting people should buy used diesel cars because the manufacturing process for an electric car emits carbon? What happens when the used diesel becomes so old and worn out it's undrivable and there are no cars left to drive?
I'm suggesting people don't need a brand new car on lease every two years, more mindless consumerism backed up with just ******** like 'it's better for the environment'.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:23 pm

But electric cars generally are better for the environment. I don't get your point about diesels solving the problem of rampant consumerism?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm just saying it's villafied - where using a car for its full longevity should be seen as a good thing.

Also how's the electric used in the car being generated?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Can't we all just die quietly for **** sake

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 pm

If there's one thing that terrifies the stuffy old conservative types, it's young people becoming politically engaged and active.

Which is why we've seen a stream of embarrassing comments and articles from those stuffy old conservative types in the last 24 hours. This thread is just another example of that.

A decent portion of the older generations despise the young, which is why they consistently vote against their interests at every possible opportunity. Voting to strip them of their EU citizenship was the biggest F*** Y** of all.

Fair play to them for taking a stand and fighting back. It's their future at the end of the day.
These 10 users liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris Bordeauxclaret longsidepies Imploding Turtle Rileybobs RoystonVasey South West Claret. Claret-On-A-T-Rex Greenmile Taffy on the wing

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1621 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Detention at the absolute minimum for the snotty little toe rags.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:34 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:Detention at the absolute minimum for the snotty little toe rags.

Tiao. Where are you? This guy's calling for punishment of people he disagrees with. Where are your whines of intolerance now?

BurnleyFC. I disagree with your opinion. How oppressed do you feel right now?

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:A decent portion of the older generations despise the young, which is why they consistently vote against their interests at every possible opportunity. Voting to strip them of their EU citizenship was the biggest F*** Y** of all.

Fair play to them for taking a stand and fighting back. It's their future at the end of the day.
Is it just childless old people who despise the young, are are you saying that people with children and grandchildren are deliberately taking actions which they know will hurt their children, and doing it for the reason that they want to hurt their children?

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Rileybobs wrote:That doesn’t make sense.
In that case get someone else to explain it for you.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:38 pm

dsr wrote:Is it just childless old people who despise the young, are are you saying that people with children and grandchildren are deliberately taking actions which they know will hurt their children, and doing it for the reason that they want to hurt their children?

Don't expect an answer, the man is pretty irrational when it comes to the way folk voted and pretty much everything else to do with it.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Spiral wrote:60+ posts on a football messageboard about the protest strike suggests your argument is pish, and you tripping up over the semantics like clippy the paperclip's neurotic, autistic cousin doesn't change the fact that they've done a job by putting the issue into the news cycle.
I guess this is their main aim,i have seen people making the argument that they could have marched over the weekend/holiday periods,correct they could have done that,but would their actions have gained such widespread news coverage,probably not so in that respect their campaign has been a success.
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Don't expect an answer, the man is pretty irrational when it comes to the way folk voted and pretty much everything else to do with it.
It's ironic that you accuse another of irrationality while replying to someone who doesn't believe the science behind climate change.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:29 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:It's ironic that you accuse another of irrationality while replying to someone who doesn't believe the science behind climate change.
Aye, because it's exactly the same as someone who believes that older people completely disregard what they believe and feel when voting, just to spoil it for younger people in years to come.

That's proper f***ing mental what he has said (not for the first time), which you have obviously 'liked'.

Mental sandal wearers everywhere.
This user liked this post: Damo

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:13 am

Hipper wrote:Immigration will became a major issue as the climate changes. Now liveable areas will become uninhabitable. It's probably true that other areas, like Siberia perhaps, may become liveable in time, but my guess the pressure on the UK will increase significantly. Yes they will still be somewhere on this globe so they either find somewhere else or die.

As I already said, we can't feed what we have here.

My attitude is that the climate change disaster will happen - it's too late to stop. We should accept that and do our best for all of us here in the UK. And we should start now.
Excellent post, certain people are trying to make this happen, but it's not easy to do.

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:02 am

Clarets4me wrote:It's half term for most next week anyway, so it probably was a " charity " non uniform day, bring in a book or your playstaion day ...

On Monday week, the parents should confiscate their mobile phones, " in solidarity with the appalling conditions " that miners endure in digging out the precious metals required to make them, buy them 2nd hand clothes & trainers " in support of the low wages paid in the 3rd world factories that produce the majority of them " , advise them that they'll all be walking to school, as parents will now only drive if absolutely necessary to " reduce emissions ", and boycotting buses for the same reason ! No more central heating, in their bedrooms to " preserve the world's natural resources ", and no baths, only a weekly shower. No more make up for teenage daughters, due to the plastics involved and the past experimentation on animals ...

Their holiday to Spain/Disneyworld/Majorca has not been booked, as I'm sure you kids wouldn't want to be responsible for the aeroplane emissions involved. Instead, we'll all be cycling to Blackpool or taking a train to Kendal where we'll be walking for a week, exploring our own Country ...

Let's see how keen young Harry & Hermione are on that, the little baskets !!!! :D :D
Another Daily Mail reader!......You can spot 'em a mile off!

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:04 am

basil6345789 wrote:First they're all mentally ill, now they're on strike - whatever next?
The parents should have their kids taken off them, be fined and buggered senseless.
Congratulations!............The stupidest post EVER.

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:17 am

South West Claret. wrote:Good on them, pity more "adults" in this Country don't start to get active and actually do something about some other things like more money and support for our NHS among others services.

I heard today that someone had to wait 8 hours for an ambulance whilst lying on her kitchen floor unable to move her legs and hands, this useless good for nothing excuse for a Government need kicking out... and keeping out.

Fed up with listening to these idiots criticising people like Jeremy Corbin, half of them probably don't even vote either.

Put your party colours to one side and Vote tactically to get them out!
A great post, by someone who is paying attention to what is really going on!..

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 am

Paul Waine wrote:The best thing these youngsters can do is to get back to school and work hard in their science and technology and geography classes - science, not just so that they can learn about "climate change" but also so they can learn about the things that can be done to reduce carbon emissions - and geography so that they can learn about the rest of the world and start to have some idea of what trade offs are currently required to reduce carbon emissions.

If the kids are really serious about the UK contributing to reducing the world's emissions then they could make a start by supporting fracking, not opposing it. If fracking is successful it will displace coal fired power generation and natural gas imported from other countries to generate power and heat our homes in the UK - and the nat gas we don't import can be used to displace coal burning power generation in other European countries, including Germany that, oddly, has a "green political agenda" but still burns "brown coal" to fire a large part of the country's power generation.

Make an interesting lesson in the schools to really study some of these issues.
Yes , just poison the vast underground water reserves for 'future generations'!.........great idea!
As for the Germany using brown coal?..............they've done massive GREEN projects and are well ahead of most other countries!

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:36 am

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Lancs, come on you are brighter than this (is that how I should respond)? ;)

Don't you think if we knew how to extract power from the tides we would be doing that already? It's one of the areas that all the kids learning things at school may be able to help with in future.

However, I understand there are a lot of countries that don't have extensive tidal oceans around their coasts. How will they contribute to cutting GHG emissions?

Wind power, we are giving it a go - but how will we manage for the times when there isn't enough wind to turn all the turbines?

Solar, pv - we also are doing what we can.

An enormous amount of science and technology learning opportunities for all the school kids, don't you think?

There's also efforts going into CCUS: "carbon capture, usage and storage" - because the work done around "carbon capture and storage" alone has learnt that "usage" is also required to have half-a-chance of making it viable at the stage of science we are currently at.
RIGHT.........BUT the kids are striking because they realize, we need to act NOW and on a global scale!

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:40 am

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Lancs, as I said above -

1) tides - how are we going to generate power from the tides?
2) wind - and what do we do when the wind doesn't blow?
3) hydro - how much hydro capacity have we in the UK? how many villages do you want to drown to add additional hydro capacity?

4) Nuclear - how do we turn nuclear "base load" generation into peaking power - without suffering the occasional nuclear disaster?

As I've said above - best thing the youngsters can do is keep learning at school.

Meantime, the USA has made the highest percentage contribution of any country in cutting its carbon emissions - and all done by substituting nat gas from fracking for the much more carbon intensive coal generation they used to depend on. (making this statement w/out any fact checking - let me know if I've got something wrong here).
Fracking is going to be looked back on as a HUGE mistake!

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:57 am

CoolClaret wrote:Aye, nothing like manufacturing new, electric cars that produces a **** ton more emissions than simply buying a used diesel car
MMmmm......This is definitely a contender for stupidest post!

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:00 am

Spiral wrote:Are you suggesting people should buy used diesel cars because the manufacturing process for an electric car emits carbon? What happens when the used diesel becomes so old and worn out it's undrivable and there are no cars left to drive?
Then he'll be back sleeping in the stable, with his mates from Blackburn....

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:46 am

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -agreement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:Yes , just poison the vast underground water reserves for 'future generations'!.........great idea!
As for the Germany using brown coal?..............they've done massive GREEN projects and are well ahead of most other countries!
As I've said Taffy, I recommend the youngsters spend their time in school.

Yes, Germany has built a lot of renewable generation capacity - but they are still using the dirtiest, most polluting brown coal for a very large part of their elec needs - and they are still struggling to work out how they will stop doing it. Meanwhile, following the Japanese nuclear disaster, Germany is shutting down its nuclear generation.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:21 am

Paul Waine wrote:As I've said Taffy, I recommend the youngsters spend their time in school.

Yes, Germany has built a lot of renewable generation capacity - but they are still using the dirtiest, most polluting brown coal for a very large part of their elec needs - and they are still struggling to work out how they will stop doing it. Meanwhile, following the Japanese nuclear disaster, Germany is shutting down its nuclear generation.

Yes. Germany are well ahead of us in terms fo green energy despite having fewer renewable resources. But you'd rather talk about the fact that they still use some coal.

No wonder we can't get anything done when this is the way the discussion goes.

"They're doing more than us. We should do more"
" but what about what they're not doing?"
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

bobinho
Been Liked: 4098 times
Has Liked: 6573 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:If there's one thing that terrifies the stuffy old conservative types, it's young people becoming politically engaged and active.

Which is why we've seen a stream of embarrassing comments and articles from those stuffy old conservative types in the last 24 hours. This thread is just another example of that.

A decent portion of the older generations despise the young, which is why they consistently vote against their interests at every possible opportunity. Voting to strip them of their EU citizenship was the biggest F*** Y** of all.

Maybe it’s because the young always seem to fall for the romance of “let’s make everything better and fairer for EVERYONE” yet lack the experience of age to realise it all needs to be paid for by those who actually get off their arses and do something. Just out of nappies and they suddenly know that EVERYTHING is soooo unfair.

Some older people DO despise the young. It’s possibly because they are seen to be trying to change the world for the better (nothing wrong with that) but lack the knowledge and experience to do it without upsetting those people who have worked hard all their lives, who now see themselves as a meal ticket for those who can’t and those who won’t.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:Another Daily Mail reader!......You can spot 'em a mile off!
Couldn't be more wrong, Taffy ! :lol:

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Couldn't be more wrong, Taffy ! :lol:

It should bother you that you can be so easily mistaken for one.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:It should bother you that you can be so easily mistaken for one.
Why ? At least the Mail had the courage to name Stephen Lawrence's killers, and then challenged them to sue. The paper's has currently corralled 17,000 readers to take part in a " Great British litter pick ", after doing a similar thing last year .I'm sure many kind decent hard working people read the " Daily Mail " as I'm sure they do " The Guardian " ...

You and taffy must stop dealing in lazy stereotypes ... :D

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Don't you just love these man made climate change lunatics ? first of all they had to change the name from global warming as it turns out there wasn't any :lol:

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:29 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:Don't you just love these man made climate change lunatics ? first of all they had to change the name from global warming as it turns out there wasn't any :lol:

Smudge, do you actually believe the dumb **** you post? Or are you just trolling? Like, no one changed the name of anything. You do know that, right?

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:37 pm

bobinho wrote:Maybe it’s because the young always seem to fall for the romance of “let’s make everything better and fairer for EVERYONE” yet lack the experience of age to realise it all needs to be paid for by those who actually get off their arses and do something. Just out of nappies and they suddenly know that EVERYTHING is soooo unfair.

Some older people DO despise the young. It’s possibly because they are seen to be trying to change the world for the better (nothing wrong with that) but lack the knowledge and experience to do it without upsetting those people who have worked hard all their lives, who now see themselves as a meal ticket for those who can’t and those who won’t.
Once again!....the kids are protesting because they know the World is approaching a 'Point of no return'! Where no matter what we do we won't be able to stop the catastrophic melting of Greenland and the polar caps, permafrost etc etc!
That 'Window' is only 5 to 10 yrs away......action NOW is the only real option!

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Why ? At least the Mail had the courage to name Stephen Lawrence's killers, and then challenged them to sue. The paper's has currently corralled 17,000 readers to take part in a " Great British litter pick ", after doing a similar thing last year .I'm sure many kind decent hard working people read the " Daily Mail " as I'm sure they do " The Guardian " ...

You and taffy must stop dealing in lazy stereotypes ... :D
PROOF!

Hipper

Post by Hipper » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:48 pm

bobinho wrote:Maybe it’s because the young always seem to fall for the romance of “let’s make everything better and fairer for EVERYONE” yet lack the experience of age to realise it all needs to be paid for by those who actually get off their arses and do something. Just out of nappies and they suddenly know that EVERYTHING is soooo unfair.

Or perhaps it's because the old have forgotten to 'make everything better and fairer for EVERYONE'.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Yes. Germany are well ahead of us in terms fo green energy despite having fewer renewable resources. But you'd rather talk about the fact that they still use some coal.

No wonder we can't get anything done when this is the way the discussion goes.

"They're doing more than us. We should do more"
" but what about what they're not doing?"
Hi IT, what do you mean about "having fewer renewable resources?" Does the wind not blow in Germany? Does the sun not shine in Germany more than it does in the UK - particularly in the south?

This blog, Jan-2016 has some stats on energy in Germany. I don't know the guy authoring the blog - I'm sure you'll let us know if he's on the "right" side.

https://energytransition.org/2016/01/ge ... power-not/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that renewables is 30% of German power generation (or perhaps it's capacity - not clear on the chart).

Note that coal in total is 44% - of which lignite (brown coal) is 24%.

And, in case you've not researched my point, take a look at what wikipedia has to say about lignite:

"Lignite, often referred to as brown coal, is a soft, brown, combustible, sedimentary rock formed from naturally compressed peat. It is considered the lowest rank of coal due to its relatively low heat content. It has a carbon content around 60–70 percent. It is mined all around the world, is used almost exclusively as a fuel for steam-electric power generation, and is the coal which is most harmful to health."

As I've posted the best way for the youngsters to progress the discussion is to keep studying hard.

EDIT: Wiki also includes a table of lignite mined in 2015: 1st Germany 178 million tonnes, 2nd China 140, 3rd Russia 73.2.
Last edited by Paul Waine on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.