Swansea in trouble: article

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Swansea in trouble: article

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:17 am

Interesting article on the dire financial situation Swansea are now in. Didn't realise how bad things are for them or how unpopular their American owners are.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... onary-tale
These 2 users liked this post: Jacko levraiclaret

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Re: Swansea in trouble: article

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 am

That makes frightening reading. I just hope those criticising our transfer policy take a long hard look at this article.
These 10 users liked this post: simonclaret bfcjg Bosscat FactualFrank Damo levraiclaret Colburn_Claret SussexDon1inIreland BertiesBeehole turfytopper

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:09 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:That makes frightening reading. I just hope those criticising our transfer policy take a long hard look at this article.
Is that our transfer policy of selling a player for 9 million and not buying anyone?

Or the policy of having 4 full transfer windows to sort things out and still be left needing?

Oh wait I'm one of those people who think we should spend 500 billion because there's no middle ground at BFC it's either no money or all the money.
These 2 users liked this post: summitclaret Murger

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 am

Theres an inevitability that smaller clubs will eventually get relegated its a fine balancing act between prudency and reclessness, to date as stats show we have it right.
I want a solvent solid club to bring my grandchildren on.
Last edited by bfcjg on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat LeadBelly levraiclaret Colburn_Claret SussexDon1inIreland

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:27 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Is that our transfer policy of selling a player for 9 million and not buying anyone?

Or the policy of having 4 full transfer windows to sort things out and still be left needing?

Oh wait I'm one of those people who think we should spend 500 billion because there's no middle ground at BFC it's either no money or all the money.
Sorry but what needs sorting out? We have stayed up, finished 7th and most likely stayed up again through the last 4 transfer windows. What needs fixing and where should our club be aiming?
These 8 users liked this post: Bosscat LeadBelly bob-the-scutter FactualFrank thomaspaine Damo levraiclaret BertiesBeehole

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 825 times
Has Liked: 1608 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:29 am

If the selling a player for £9 million refers to Sam Vokes then that was the best deal that Sean Dyche has made in his time here. Getting Peter Crouch in return.
These 7 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor clarethomer Buxtonclaret Bosscat bob-the-scutter levraiclaret SussexDon1inIreland

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 am

We've got the reserves to avoid the firesale that they have had to to go, but the more you splurge in Jan in an attempt to stay up, the worse it is if you go down.

There was an excellent article on Swansea a couple of years ago, warning that despite them being well run, the sheer cost of staying up was stretching even the PL money to its utmost.

Fulham will be in even worse trouble one would think if they go down as well.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 am

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:If the selling a player for £9 million refers to Sam Vokes then that was the best deal that Sean Dyche has made in his time here. Getting Peter Crouch in return.
Agree - a great bit of business. As much as I will always remember Big Sam for being a pivotal player in our recent history, he was becoming a benchwarmer for us and was used to come on and impact the game with 10 mins go. Crouch is perfect for doing this and has already demonstrated that by helping us rescue a point.

The deal was a win-win for all involved.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat DAVETHEVICAR levraiclaret

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 am

How many times will we see people on here assuming that spending money equals success?

How many examples do we need to find of club, in a similar position to ours, investing £20m, £30m, £40m (plus wages) on players who do nowt?

I'd much rather that we stuck with the model we have in place now that sold out to someone who is investing in the hope of making money. Even if it means relegation.
These 9 users liked this post: LeadBelly Bosscat FactualFrank bfcjg thomaspaine Damo gawthorpe_view levraiclaret SussexDon1inIreland

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 am

We have to remember when you sign player for £10 million the on costs are a lot higher. So an agent (as we have seen for the Sala incident) can expect a million plus. The player expects the transfer fee in wages over 3 to 4 years. Loans are touted at £5 million plus wages.

Then if you dig deeper there is the wages per income percentage. I think the last figure i saw for us was just under 70% which is a little high but ok.

This is where our problem lies, we can't push that figure up much higher as it puts the business in a difficult position financially. Bony on 4.5 million a year is 85k a week. 10 players on 40k a week is nearly 21 million a year.

Then there is harmony of the dressing room, if you have high earner they had better be invaluable.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am

Whilst I had my reservations about selling Sam Vokes, this window, and replacing him(in the short term at least) with Crouch, history may well yet prove it to be a sound move; certainly if we are to stay up this year.

I was largely critical of our past two transfer windows, but this story about Swansea is a cautionary one to us. Yes, we can be over cautious to the point of frustration, at times, but this surely shows the pitfalls of a Club akin to ours even momentarily throwing caution to the wind. It could take years and years for Swansea to fully recover from this blunder.
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret SussexDon1inIreland

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am

Here we go again. What bit of down to the bare bones in midfield don't you lot get?

We are in the fight of our lives and can't even find a sub across all of midfield, mainly due to poor recruitment.

And people compare us to massive overspenders.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:09 am

Think the manager merry go around doesn't help.

We messed up big time when Coyle left, and paid for it years till the contracts ran out, but we were saved by SD.

From what I've seen of Potter, they look to have someone similar which is a massive positive for them.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 am

steve1264b wrote:We have to remember when you sign player for £10 million the on costs are a lot higher. So an agent (as we have seen for the Sala incident) can expect a million plus. The player expects the transfer fee in wages over 3 to 4 years. Loans are touted at £5 million plus wages.

Then if you dig deeper there is the wages per income percentage. I think the last figure i saw for us was just under 70% which is a little high but ok.

This is where our problem lies, we can't push that figure up much higher as it puts the business in a difficult position financially. Bony on 4.5 million a year is 85k a week. 10 players on 40k a week is nearly 21 million a year.

Then there is harmony of the dressing room, if you have high earner they had better be invaluable.
The last figure you saw for Burnley was 51%.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 am

Oli McBurnie
Dan James

I’d take those two to help their troubles

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8427 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Is that our transfer policy of selling a player for 9 million and not buying anyone?

Stupid ill informed and yet another fishing post
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 am

summitclaret wrote:Here we go again. What bit of down to the bare bones in midfield don't you lot get?

We are in the fight of our lives and can't even find a sub across all of midfield, mainly due to poor recruitment.

And people compare us to massive overspenders.
I'm sorry - this needs calling out because it just isn't true.

We've got 8 players for the 4 slots across midfield. We've got 4 natural central midfielders (Cork, Westwood, Hendrick, Defour), plus 4 wide players (JBG, Brady, Lennon, McNeil). We've got a first team squad which is currently 25 strong. That's not a skeleton squad - it's bigger than most clubs in the division carry. If we're down to the bare bones in any particular position, it's because we've had a tough run with injuries. I'd have liked us to bring in another midfielder to help us with the short-term injury problems that we've got, but I can understand why that didn't happen, and the situation is completely different to 2014/15 when we had no cover at all in midfield even before Marney got injured.

We can debate our recruitment, and no doubt the comparison with Swansea has its limitations. But the broader point about Swansea stands. They're in the mess they are in for a range of reasons: overambition, selling out to outside investors who have a different perspective to the original board who got them their success in the first place - but also because for a couple of years they adopted a short-termist policy of doing whatever was necessary in the short-term to get them out of their particular fix. It's the latter in particular that we've got to avoid.
These 18 users liked this post: Bosscat Lancasterclaret LeadBelly Lord Beamish Buxtonclaret simonclaret claret wizard claretgimmer ClaretTony Ashingtonclaret46 Stalbansclaret gawthorpe_view levraiclaret Colburn_Claret Goobs Clarets4me SussexDon1inIreland BertiesBeehole

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:35 am

steve1264b wrote:We have to remember when you sign player for £10 million the on costs are a lot higher. So an agent (as we have seen for the Sala incident) can expect a million plus. The player expects the transfer fee in wages over 3 to 4 years. Loans are touted at £5 million plus wages.

As Roy says the last public figure was 51% (2016/17) the next is likely to be very similar - the one for the current season is likely to be higher - from a combination of Wage growth and significantly less TV revenue combined with not much growth in matchday and commercial income to breach the gap. This is the eternal problem of the smaller clubs who make extended stays in the Premier League. On last published figures wages as a % of turnover (It has long been believed within the game that a healthy ratio should be around 50%)
2016/17 Crystal Palace 78%
2016/17 Swansea 77%
2017/18 Everton 77%
2017/18 Stoke 74%
2017/18 Watford 67%
2016/17 Southampton 62%
2017/18 West Ham 61%
2016/17 West Brom 57%
2017/18 Brighton 56%
Last edited by Chester Perry on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: levraiclaret SussexDon1inIreland

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 am

claretspice wrote:I'm sorry - this needs calling out because it just isn't true.

We've got 8 players for the 4 slots across midfield. We've got 4 natural central midfielders (Cork, Westwood, Hendrick, Defour), plus 4 wide players (JBG, Brady, Lennon, McNeil). We've got a first team squad which is currently 25 strong. That's not a skeleton squad - it's bigger than most clubs in the division carry. If we're down to the bare bones in any particular position, it's because we've had a tough run with injuries. I'd have liked us to bring in another midfielder to help us with the short-term injury problems that we've got, but I can understand why that didn't happen, and the situation is completely different to 2014/15 when we had no cover at all in midfield even before Marney got injured.

We can debate our recruitment, and no doubt the comparison with Swansea has its limitations. But the broader point about Swansea stands. They're in the mess they are in for a range of reasons: overambition, selling out to outside investors who have a different perspective to the original board who got them their success in the first place - but also because for a couple of years they adopted a short-termist policy of doing whatever was necessary in the short-term to get them out of their particular fix. It's the latter in particular that we've got to avoid.
Some fair comments there but I think we can write off Defour. Seems unlikely he'll make any contribution this season

steve1264b

Post by steve1264b » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:45 am

I was using this which i think tells us how much costs spiral
Attachments
IMG_20190217_103711.jpg
IMG_20190217_103711.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 4251 times

steve1264b

Post by steve1264b » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:48 am

i go those from Kieran Maguire lecturer in football finance University of liverpool

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:49 am

claretspice wrote:I'm sorry - this needs calling out because it just isn't true.

Expecting any significant contribution from defour and brady this season was extremely optimistic. Also we know jbg is injury prone. Lennon is well known for inconsistency. The magnificent contribution from McNeil is probably a surprise even to SD.

All in all not to bring in a right-footed winger and a cm in august was crazy and boy have we suffered for it. We had plenty of money to do that with no real risk to our future. We were at the top of our game having finished 7th and in the EL.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:50 am

Steve..........that 67% ratio was for the financial year to Jun'16, when we had Championship accounts.

The figure was reduced to 51% to Jun'17 and, as Chester Perry says, will be the same or very similar to Jun'18, based on £70m Wages / £140m Turnover.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:33 am

summitclaret wrote:Expecting any significant contribution from defour and brady this season was extremely optimistic. Also we know jbg is injury prone. Lennon is well known for inconsistency. The magnificent contribution from McNeil is probably a surprise even to SD.

All in all not to bring in a right-footed winger and a cm in august was crazy and boy have we suffered for it. We had plenty of money to do that with no real risk to our future. We were at the top of our game having finished 7th and in the EL.
We can debate your assessment of each of those players. But the only one we signed knowing he had any sort of questionable injury record was Defour. Brady had a long-term injury and perhaps some cover last summer might have been helpful in the interim, but JBG neither JBG nor Lennon had a history of injuries that was out of the ordinary (so far as I'm aware). Even if you're right about that, the idea of signing lots of spare players as insurance policies is a bad idea - as the Swansea example shows. What we're better doing is replacing those players who maybe can't play a full role now - but that requires us to have willing buyers for them.

As for McNeil, whilst his contribution is certainly a surprise to supporters, I'd argue Dyche might well have a better insight on that. Was Fergie lucky when he flogged Kanchelskis and Ince in the mid-90s and put his trust in the Class of 92, or was it just a question of knowing the quality coming through the ranks?

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 am

I am not talking about the injury record of players when signing, rather what we knew or should have last summer. The glaring issues were the long term injuries to defour and brady our 2 most creative players.

12 points after 19 games from a team that performed as it did last season shocking and worse still we were creating nothing. Cork was out of form but we had to play him. Thank god we got knocked out of the EL early and even more for the emergence of McNeil.
Last edited by summitclaret on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 am

So basically theyre in the place we were when Dyche came in? Just get on with it.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 am

Swansea are a basket case, most people with half a brain could see it coming, just like we could with Sunderland etc

We didn't sign the list of players people were demanding because the club didn't feel the need to either overpay or they just didn't want to due to the players we had.

Spurs haven't signed anyone in the last two windows because their manager believes in his squad, maybe our manager has the same faith in our squad....
Yeah I know there are people on here wearing tin foil hats and are convinced it's the fault of *insert name here* or they're defrauding the club :roll:

In regards to costs, the deal for that lad at Cardiff is quite possibly going to be closer to £30 million after all the agents fees etc are paid for.

Other clubs around us don't appear to be much better off for splashing money, but the doomsayers don't seem to highlight that particular fact for some reason...
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:57 am

claretspice wrote:JBG neither JBG nor Lennon had a history of injuries that was out of the ordinary (so far as I'm aware).
I’m not sure about that.

JBG has had a history of niggles all through his time here and Lennon was just coming off a significant break for off the field issues when we signed him.

To my mind Swansea’s issues came about because they forgot who they were when they sacked Monk. Prior to that they had made consistent, sensible appointments and then got into a spiral of panic appointments which all demand panic buys - which you can see in their wage bill.

The culmination of that was paying £60k a week to the guy who used to put the cones out at Real Madrid and thinking he was some kind of genius in the making.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Swansea's issues came because they wanted to make the mythological "next step" combined with owners who were not in a financial position to push them forward/had enough of the public barracking being an owner (even one who saved the club from extinction and then got it to rise through the leagues playing very attractive football). They sold to foreign investors who have trod a well worn path of incredible naivety and stupidity with the usual result- heartbreak for the fan's - job losses for locals as the club shrinks to it's new level.

The sooner people realise that that "next step" is impossible without a "sports-washing" takeover funded by state backing, the better off clubs like ours will be.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:16 pm

summitclaret wrote:I am not talking about the injury record of players when signing, rather what we knew or should have last summer. The glaring issues were the long term injuries to defour and brady our 2 most creative players.

12 points after 19 games from a team that performed as it did last season shocking and worse still we were creating nothing. Cork was out of form but we had to play him. Thank god we got knocked out of the EL early and even more for the emergence of McNeil.
Look, I think everyone accepts we had a disappointing summer last summer and probably fell a couple short in the transfer market (in my opinion, which I expressed at the time, a bit more quality up front in a first choice striker, plus a midfielder for the future to serve as back up). But the fundamental point here is that we cannot ever afford to have a squad that caters for every contingency. The reality for clubs like ours is that a combination of injuries, plus a loss of form in one or two key players, will have us at the bottom of the league - just as a season where we overachieve and get a bit of luck might have us in the top half. To build a squad that is immune to the vagaries of fortune and form is impossible without the club selling out (which is one of the mistakes Swansea are now paying for) or without making lots of very short term signings (another of Swansea's mistakes).

Whatever we did or didn't do in the summer, we've got a midfield pool of 7 very established premier league performers, plus one starlet, for 4 berths. We can't really expect much more depth than that.
This user liked this post: Falcon

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:23 pm

We've been extremely lucky with the emergence of McNeil this season. And the people claiming getting rid of Vokes was a great move let's not judge it yet eh? If Wood or Barnes get injured at some point then it suddenly doesn't look quite so clever.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 pm

jrgbfc wrote:We've been extremely lucky with the emergence of McNeil this season. And the people claiming getting rid of Vokes was a great move let's not judge it yet eh? If Wood or Barnes get injured at some point then it suddenly doesn't look quite so clever.
If we don't have an issue the rest of the season will you accept it was a good deal or not want to mention it again?
Last edited by GodIsADeeJay81 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Socrates wrote:JBG has had a history of niggles all through his time here
Last season JBG only missed three PL games. Hardly a player with a history of niggles.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 pm

For me, we missed a trick last summer in particular.

Two key factors, the attractiveness we had as a Club having finished 7th and qualifying for the Europa League and secondly, most important of all, the Cash reserves from an incredible financial year were in place like NEVER before.

In the end, as ever, it's all about balance and we got things badly wrong before the season began.
These 2 users liked this post: summitclaret levraiclaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:For me, we missed a trick last summer in particular.

Two key factors, the attractiveness we had as a Club having finished 7th and qualifying for the Europa League and secondly, most important of all, the Cash reserves from an incredible financial year were in place like NEVER before.

In the end, as ever, it's all about balance and we got things badly wrong before the season began.
In reality we could never be regarded as an attractive proposition despite finishing 7th. The view was that is was more of an anomaly more than anything else. Playing in the qualifying stages of the Europa league was never going to get better players rushing to sign for us.

Even Leicester struggled to sign players, despite getting into the Champions League.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:If we don't have an issue the rest of the season will you accept it was a good deal or not want to mention it again?
If we do and go down I promise to mention it for years like marneygate. Point is why take the risk?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Leicester went out and signed some overpriced rubbish, then struggled the following season which resulted in the players downing tools and getting Ranieri fired.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:03 pm

summitclaret wrote:If we do and go down I promise to mention it for years like marneygate. Point is why take the risk?
Both ways is a risk, you have your preferred option, the club have theirs.
Based on previous experiences, the club are a safer bet at getting it right

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:09 pm

The most embarrassing relegation since the Premier League was formed could happen this season if Fulham go down. £100+ million on replacing the side that got them promoted and wages reportedly around 100k a week for those players.

As someone posted above - throwing money at the wall promises nothing. And Fulham are a perfect example.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:12 pm

I don't think we arelwed to use Fulham as an example, the naysayers don't like it.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:13 pm

" Whatever we did or didn't do in the summer, we've got a midfield pool of 7 very established premier league performers, plus one starlet, for 4 berths. We can't really expect much more depth than that."

But we haven't have we because at least 2 of those are hardly ever fit. It was and is clear that defour needs replacing and we should have at least brought in someone with potential in August.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Why was it clear he needed replacing last summer?
He started the season fit didn't he?

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:19 pm

FactualFrank wrote:The most embarrassing relegation since the Premier League was formed could happen this season if Fulham go down. £100+ million on replacing the side that got them promoted and wages reportedly around 100k a week for those players.

As someone posted above - throwing money at the wall promises nothing. And Fulham are a perfect example.
No one I repeat no one is suggesting throwing anything like that sort of money at anything. Why do people talk in extremes when balance and calculated risk taking are what gets success normally.

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Why was it clear he needed replacing last summer?
He started the season fit didn't he?
You sure?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:29 pm

summitclaret wrote:You sure?
Nope, hence the question mark, a lot has gone on for me since the season started.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:30 pm

summitclaret wrote:No one I repeat no one is suggesting throwing anything like that sort of money at anything. Why do people talk in extremes when balance and calculated risk taking are what gets success normally.
So you don't like the club taking the risks they're currently taking because it isn't what you want?

Is the balance wrong now despite it being fine previously?

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:36 pm

I just want what is best for the team. Its about opinions. We don't agree. So what?. I think investing in creative midfielders last August was the right thing to do.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:47 pm

We all want what's best, we just differ in how to achieve that :-)

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:47 pm

summitclaret wrote:" Whatever we did or didn't do in the summer, we've got a midfield pool of 7 very established premier league performers, plus one starlet, for 4 berths. We can't really expect much more depth than that."

But we haven't have we because at least 2 of those are hardly ever fit. It was and is clear that defour needs replacing and we should have at least brought in someone with potential in August.
If you're arguing that in the summer, we should have brought in one more midfielder for the future, then OK, we can agree on this. But that's not quite the same position as you started with, when you were blaming the total lack of established midfielders on the bench, and the fact we had to play Jack Cork despite him having lost form, on the recruitment strategy.

I think we all agree the summer was a bit of a missed opportunity (although as above I'm unconvinced reasonable recruitment in the summer would have got rid of all the problems we've had across midfield at different times this season). In fairness to the club, bringing in Rigg was a response to that. They've probably done the right thing in not jumping to a knee-jerk reaction in the winter window, and given an even break from now until the end of the season we should be plenty good enough to stay up and we can then reassess in the summer.

But even then, I don't expect the club to break from its long term strategy of carefully selected recruitment to avoid ending up with an inflated squad size, or individual wages, both of which could (as Swansea show) saddle the club in the future. We're probably at the point of selling to regenerate the squad given its size, so that's going to require some patience.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Ha, patience is an unknown thing to some people on here.