Why Do They Wear a Moose on Their Badge?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Why Do They Wear a Moose on Their Badge?

Post by ontario claret » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Discussion about hornets on another topic has led me to ask myself about something else that has always confused me. Why do Watford FC wear a moose on their badge when they're nicknamed "The Hornets". I'm from Canada, and I know a moose when I see one. In fact, there were a couple in my backyard last night, doing moosie things, like eating water-born vegetation, and trying to create young moosum (or whatever young mooses are called). And it was after midnight. Have some respect for your neighbours, will you?!?

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Re: Why Do They Wear a Moose on Their Badge?

Post by Guitargeorge » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:19 pm

You’ve just answered your own question. That’s precisely why they do wear a moose, because Troy Deeney behaves like that most nights!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:27 pm

ontario claret wrote:Discussion about hornets on another topic has led me to ask myself about something else that has always confused me. Why do Watford FC wear a moose on their badge when they're nicknamed "The Hornets". I'm from Canada, and I know a moose when I see one. In fact, there were a couple in my backyard last night, doing moosie things, like eating water-born vegetation, and trying to create young moosum (or whatever young mooses are called). And it was after midnight. Have some respect for your neighbours, will you?!?
The cartoon charcters in the 60's Rocky and Bullwinkle were great fans of Watford FC so Elton Hercules John adopted a Moose as the badge in tribute.......

Thats absolute B*ll**ks :lol: :lol: I have no idea OC m8 google it lol

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:55 pm

ontario claret wrote:Discussion about hornets on another topic has led me to ask myself about something else that has always confused me. Why do Watford FC wear a moose on their badge when they're nicknamed "The Hornets". I'm from Canada, and I know a moose when I see one. In fact, there were a couple in my backyard last night, doing moosie things, like eating water-born vegetation, and trying to create young moosum (or whatever young mooses are called). And it was after midnight. Have some respect for your neighbours, will you?!?
It was late 70's when the Moose was adopted to the badge and in 2020/21 they are changing the badge again .... so I might be nearer the truth about Elton John in previous post ;)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 8773210658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2630 times
Has Liked: 6441 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:04 pm

The badge contains a Hart and represents Hertfordshire - according to Wikipedia...
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am

The guy who drew the "hart" must have been the worst artist of all time. I've been to the Toronto Zoo several times. That's a moose. Don't get the mooses mad. They get very angry when aroused, and have very good union representation.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:26 am

ontario claret wrote:The guy who drew the "hart" must have been the worst artist of all time. I've been to the Toronto Zoo several times. That's a moose. Don't get the mooses mad. They get very angry when aroused, and have very good union representation.
It might be a moose when it's in America, but when it's in the UK it's an elk. And the hart of Hertfordshire refers to any male deer, so :P .

;)

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:35 am

And Bosscat, the only time Rocky and Bullwinkle (possibly the funniest cartoon show of all time) were involved in any kind of sporting activity was when they played football (American version) for Wotsamatta U., and were nearly thwarted by Boris Badanov and Natasha, under the orders of the nefarious Fearless Leader. (Remember, this was during the height of the Cold War, before the Beatles single-handedly brought down the Iron Curtain.) Bullwinkle would toss Rocky into the air, and, long before Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, the winning touchdown would be scored. The American Way would be saved once again, at least until next week. It was always my favourite Saturday morning TV show.
These 2 users liked this post: AndrewJB Bosscat

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:38 am

Another good one was Beanie and Cecil, but I don't know if it ever made it across the pond.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 am

ontario claret wrote:And Bosscat, the only time Rocky and Bullwinkle (possibly the funniest cartoon show of all time) were involved in any kind of sporting activity was when they played football (American version) for Wotsamatta U., and were nearly thwarted by Boris Badanov and Natasha, under the orders of the nefarious Fearless Leader. (Remember, this was during the height of the Cold War, before the Beatles single-handedly brought down the Iron Curtain.) Bullwinkle would toss Rocky into the air, and, long before Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, the winning touchdown would be scored. The American Way would be saved once again, at least until next week. It was always my favourite Saturday morning TV show.
Rocky and Bullwinkle was a fave of mine too, and didn’t they also do REN and Stimpy ?

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:51 am

dsr, elk in North America are called caribou, and still have large annual migrations across the Arctic Circle. They forage mostly on moss and lichen, and are confined to the Barrens. Moose, the largest four-legged beasts on earth, next to musk oxen, live in or near lakes and streams, below the tree line. They exist on vegetation that live in said lakes and streams, and are usually very placid, except when rearing their young. I once passed a moose that was jogging alongside the Trans-Canada Highway near a place called Ignace, Ontario. I was afraid that it was going to make a left-hand turn and total my car. Moose are native only to northern North America.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 am

A different artist did Rem and Stimpy, back in the '90s, I believe. Much more avant garde. you never saw Rocky and Bullwinkle farting a green haze. R & B were a product of the '60s.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:27 am

The American moose (alces alces americana) is native only to America, but the moose in general (alces alces) is also native to much of northern Europe and formerly central Europe including the UK. It's known as the elk, or Eurasian elk, over here. The elk you have in North America is a different animal.

How big is an elephant? And how many legs? ;)

Covclaret
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Covclaret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:47 am

dsr wrote:It might be a moose when it's in America, but when it's in the UK it's an elk. And the hart of Hertfordshire refers to any male deer, so :P .

;)
Just wondered why its not called Hartfordshire then. Moosefordshire sounds much better.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:50 am

Covclaret wrote:Just wondered why its not called Hartfordshire then. Moosefordshire sounds much better.
Moose can be male or female. Harts are male. They weren't very politically correct when they named Hertford. (They couldn't spell very well either.)

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:07 am

ontario claret wrote:dsr, elk in North America are called caribou, and still have large annual migrations across the Arctic Circle. They forage mostly on moss and lichen, and are confined to the Barrens. Moose, the largest four-legged beasts on earth, next to musk oxen, live in or near lakes and streams, below the tree line. They exist on vegetation that live in said lakes and streams, and are usually very placid, except when rearing their young. I once passed a moose that was jogging alongside the Trans-Canada Highway near a place called Ignace, Ontario. I was afraid that it was going to make a left-hand turn and total my car. Moose are native only to northern North America.
Mooses are bigger than Elephants?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2630 times
Has Liked: 6441 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:18 am

Goobs wrote:Mooses are bigger than Elephants?
No, but they dont have wild elephants in North America... ;)

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 am

Goobs wrote:Mooses are bigger than Elephants?
The one from talksport is!!!

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 am

We can send em a Hart if they want one. He can go on their badge. :(

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am

I now have a picture in my head of OntarioClaret leaving his gate and front door open... then there is a Shout of...

"Theres a Moose Loose aboot this Hoose"

Or shouting to his Mrs "Looks like Reindeer"
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

not waving
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by not waving » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Football authorities are starting to tie together the badges to the name of the team:

Sunderland will have a sun

Swansea will have a swan

Cardiff will have a car

Arsenal haven't decided yet

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm

This is my favourite line today on this forum.....you never know what you’re going to read about......

“I’m from Canada and I know a moose when I see one”. Thank you!
This user liked this post: timshorts

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:47 pm

They asked one of their last 5 managers, "what symbol do you think would best represent your time at Watford?".

Unfortunately, the "N" is next to the "M" on the keyboard.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 pm

That reference to how Canadians pronounce the word "out" is a complete fabrication, made up by some American with nothing else to do in their spare time. But we DO use the word "eh" a lot.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 pm

And "Moosehead" Beer is the last major brand of suds in Canada still owned by Canadians. So, I'm proud to recognize my mooses.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:12 pm

ontario claret wrote:That reference to how Canadians pronounce the word "out" is a complete fabrication, made up by some American with nothing else to do in their spare time. But we DO use the word "eh" a lot.
I think bosscat might have been referring to the song "Hoots Mon" (Lord Rockingham's XI) and the Scottish pronunciation of "mouse". Jump to 40 seconds for the relevant (and very badly time synchronised) phrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIekZvhyrsk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 am

Lord Rockingham is no Average White Band. Pretty dreadful stuff.