Philippines

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Re: Philippines

Post by mkmel » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:31 pm

bfccrazy wrote:How far south is “south”?

I’m not white but my partner is so just wondering. Never expected a big problem there tbh before it got mentioned on this thread. Shows what the guide books avoid saying eh.
I think he was on about the far south with Isis and Muslims who are bad bad guys and he said avoid if you are white

And I say again check out when it is the typhoon season which I am told is worse in the north

My missus said it nearly blew their house down

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 pm

mkmel wrote:I think he was on about the far south with Isis and Muslims who are bad bad guys and he said avoid if you are white

And I say again check out when it is the typhoon season which I am told is worse in the north

My missus said it nearly blew their house down
Looking like we’ll be going In early Nov which is JUSTTTT after the typhoon season. I’ll be sure to look into the far south though a little more.
This user liked this post: mkmel

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I've been in the north during a monsoon and yes it's pretty scary, but you have to understand that most of the devastation is to buildings that are basically shacks. The main probllem is the loss of crops. I mentioned earlier that the Island of Mindanao is the main Isis hot spot. Stay in the north and you will fall in love with the place.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2053 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:25 pm

One place in the Manilla area that I'd recommend is the island of Corregidor. Fascinating place if you're interested in World War Two history
This user liked this post: bfccrazy

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:27 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:One place in the Manilla area that I'd recommend is the island of Corregidor. Fascinating place if you're interested in World War Two history
Was on the list - Thinking of doing the night tour but read that there is only one hotel on the island you have to stay at to do this?

What would be the best option to get on/off Corregidor onto the next place.

Would it be best going from Manila and then onto? (Where would you recommend carrying on to easily enough).

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Also, as a few have been over - what is the best flight option to take - looking at price difference between Manc/London makes it pointless to travel down and save a few quid.

Looked at Oman Air with a change in Muscat and also Cathay Pacific which is a couple of hours quicker.

_Soclaretes_
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by _Soclaretes_ » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:16 am

bfccrazy wrote:Looking at having a few weeks in the Phillipines later in the year and just wondering if anybody has a good itenary or any advice when planning the trip. Would probably fly into Manila and be off the next day to get around than stay in Manila too long.

Obviously want to spend lots of time around the many islands/beaches and also see any must see sights.

Any advice would be welcomed for travel within the country and also any tips/tricks from anybody who has been so I can start putting together an itenary.
Sanggat Island resort for diving and Coron Bay, in general. I would be hard pressed to remember anywhere more idyllic (tropical island stylee) than these two places. Absolutely beautiful

kesie
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by kesie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:29 am

I'm married to a lady from Baguio and I have travelled throughout the Philippines during the last twenty years.
Some knowledgeable people posting on this topic and I would recommend visiting the beaches of Pagudpud before they become overdeveloped, like Boracay and Palawan. Not all places in Mindanao are dangerous, provided you take the necessary precautions, including Davao where there is a sizeable expat community. I wouldn't encourage you to spend too much time in Baguio, which now suffers from pollution and overcrowding. Sarrat,Ilocos Norte, home of former president Ferdinand Marcos is definitely worth a visit. A helicopter ride to Mount Pinatubo is also highly recommended, but might be outside of your budget. My favourite place is Bohol, but that would require a separate trip.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:50 am

If you are a bit more adventurous and can't afford the helicopter trip then you could also take a tour which includes a drive almost to the top of pinatubo and then you walk the rest of the way to the crater lake.

How much you walk varies from year to year depending on how the weather has affected the various paths. A lot of tour groups offering 4x4s and guides for this.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2053 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:03 am

bfccrazy wrote:Was on the list - Thinking of doing the night tour but read that there is only one hotel on the island you have to stay at to do this?

What would be the best option to get on/off Corregidor onto the next place.

Would it be best going from Manila and then onto? (Where would you recommend carrying on to easily enough).
We did a tour in the day. We got a ferry across from the Manilla area fairly early in the morning and the tour was over by noonish. Had some lunch and then we got the ferry back across at about 3 (think that the crossing took around an hour).

Like other people on here i found Manilla to be quite grim so didn't spend much time there. We went to Corregidor the day after we flew in and then left Manilla again the next day (went to a lovely area called Tagatay up in the hills which was a few hours drive away).

Not sure if it has improved but Manilla airport was slightly chaotic when we were there about 6 years ago. You had to queue to pay to get into the airport and then queue again for your airline etc

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 am

New terminal 3 now. Moved into the 21st century. Also they have stopped the security tax for non-Filipinos.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe