Philippines

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Philippines

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Looking at having a few weeks in the Phillipines later in the year and just wondering if anybody has a good itenary or any advice when planning the trip. Would probably fly into Manila and be off the next day to get around than stay in Manila too long.

Obviously want to spend lots of time around the many islands/beaches and also see any must see sights.

Any advice would be welcomed for travel within the country and also any tips/tricks from anybody who has been so I can start putting together an itenary.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Re: Philippines

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Looking at having a few weeks in the Phillipines later in the year and just wondering if anybody has a good itenary or any advice when planning the trip. Would probably fly into Manila and be off the next day to get around than stay in Manila too long.

Obviously want to spend lots of time around the many islands/beaches and also see any must see sights.

Any advice would be welcomed for travel within the country and also any tips/tricks from anybody who has been so I can start putting together an itenary.
You should have a chat with Gordaleman on the Lancashire Blackburnegraph pages m8 he goes regularly.... he has a very good friend ;) out there if you know what I mean ;)
This user liked this post: bfccrazy

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 pm

I thought that reply was going to be about Dubai then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Hummmm it's been a long time since i was there but think of it this way the first time i was there Borocay had only 3 huts kind of places to stay on the island and now it's wall to wall 5 star hotels .
That's change for you .

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 pm

And how do most people get to the Philippines...they fly enough said.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 pm

It’s madness - I’m hoping to avoid some of the really busy spots in favour of just escaping for some solace in the sun.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:40 pm

South West Claret. wrote:And how do most people get to the Philippines...they fly enough said.
You’ve lost me mate :?

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:46 pm

bfccrazy wrote:You’ve lost me mate :?
It emits lots of rubbish that adds to climate change BFCC and the airlines don’t pay their proper level of tax.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Manila - average on 1 hour per mile flow of traffic!! Nowt much to see in terms of sightseeing. Very heavy on the 'entertainment' side of life though!

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:Manila - average on 1 hour per mile flow of traffic!! Nowt much to see in terms of sightseeing. Very heavy on the 'entertainment' side of life though!
Yeah, just looking it as a bed for the night for the first/last night being honest.

There’s nothing around there that makes me think “I HAVE TO SEE THAT” but there are so many other places that I want to see/experience which would be better.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm

The South West is nice this time of the year you know ;)

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Bfc crazy. I know the Philippines fairly well. Its a fantastic country and fantastic people. I do have a few questions for you.
1) Are you travelling alone?
2) How long exactly are you staying?
3) What are your plans cor accommodation. eg. How much are you prepared to pay?

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Boracay as stated is idyllic i believe.

A couple of gaffs worth visiting not too far from Manila are Pagsanjan, where they filmed Apocalypse Now where you get taken up river by a couple of locals in a canoe.

You can also visit Puerto Galera, get a bus from Manila to Batangas it's an experience and no mistake. You then get a ferry across to Puerto Galera, great beach and a fine nightlife.

If you like your history get a boat trip from Manila to the Malinta tunnel made famous by Macarthur in WW2.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 pm

rayzer wrote:Bfc crazy. I know the Philippines fairly well. Its a fantastic country and fantastic people. I do have a few questions for you.
1) Are you travelling alone?
2) How long exactly are you staying?
3) What are your plans cor accommodation. eg. How much are you prepared to pay?
1) Will be there with the missus
2) looking at 3 weeks+\-

Not looked into accom loads but not wanting to break the bank and also not stay in hostels. We are looking to be moving around rather than spend the whole time in in one spot as there is obviously so much to see. Not bothered about accom as long as it’s clean and has a private room for us.

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:23 pm

I have a house in La Union in Luzon. The area has not been exploited with tourism and it is the most relaxing way of life. The locals are so welcoming, unlike Manila which is so claustrophobic. If I was to give you a comparison it would be like living in London or living in the Lake District( without the tourists).

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 pm

I would recommend moving north when you arrive in Manila. Google Baguio. A must see place visited mainly by the locals. Also Vigan, its like going back to 19th century Spain. You could try all the tourist spots but it will cost you.Regarding accommodation, be careful when you get out of Manila airport. Make sure you have somebody from your hotel pick you up.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Try Palawan

watch your wallet

buy knockoff handbags

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:31 pm

rayzer wrote:I would recommend moving north when you arrive in Manila. Google Baguio. A must see place visited mainly by the locals. Also Vigan, its like going back to 19th century Spain. You could try all the tourist spots but it will cost you.Regarding accommodation, be careful when you get out of Manila airport. Make sure you have somebody from your hotel pick you up.
I was thinking of going that route - as I want to visit Sagada and also Mount Pulag for the sea of clouds. Then head back to Manila from there and fly south.

Any tips on arranging trips/transport or is it easy enough to do it once you land?

I’m looking at some island tours which I will probably arrange beforehand along with a few hotels along the way - November is the start of the season from what I can find out so just wondering if it’s already busy with tourists then or not as bad?

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Has its pros
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:56 pm

KateR wrote:Try Palawan

watch your wallet

buy knockoff handbags
Or Knocked off Wallets ;)
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:03 pm

well I was thinking if you like the ladies here and the females of your family you would be a great hit with giving them handbags, not so much so with wallets but there are plenty of knock off wallets and clothes.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:33 pm

KateR wrote:well I was thinking if you like the ladies here and the females of your family you would be a great hit with giving them handbags, not so much so with wallets but there are plenty of knock off wallets and clothes.
I’d get a slap giving knock off bags to females I know :lol:
Also probably return home alone.

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:36 pm

I think you are doing the right thing heading north. Sagada is a fantastic place, proper Philippines as I like to call it. Not too far from Sagada are the beaches of Pagupud which are breathtaking and unspoilt. There is slso one of the largest ziplines in the world which travels over the sea. The national bus company is called Partas. They literally will take you anywhere. There are thousands of them, but they don't really have a timetable. You just wait for one and they are the cheapest way to travel. It's easy to book an excursion when you arrivein the Philippines. November is their summertime so expect HOT!.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm

So Jeepneys and Busses are the best way to get about?
Will obviously cost more flying around but I think it’ll surely be the best option to have more time to actually enjoy the country than be stuck on busses and boats ... is why I want to start planning now so I can budget in costs of getting around to places - i’d rather spend a few more quid and see more than get back and wish I’d of done something else too.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Goodness Sagada is a super spot love the weaving gear they used to make . Kind of recall that the Rabbit bus was the only way north again so far back in time one trip the bus broke down and we had to sleep on the bus in the middle of the road / dirt road for the night .
The only thing that was poor was the food again I was a backpacker so wasn't eating anywhere near top end .

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Tribesmen wrote:Goodness Sagada is a super spot love the weaving gear they used to make . Kind of recall that the Rabbit bus was the only way north again so far back in time one trip the bus broke down and we had to sleep on the bus in the middle of the road / dirt road for the night .
The only thing that was poor was the food again I was a backpacker so wasn't eating anywhere near top end .
We’ll be semi backpacking as it’ll be the easiest way to get around. More backpacking without hostels etc and a little more than a backpackers budget.

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:56 pm

There are not that many airports in the Province so buses are your only option to see the places you want to go to. Obviously you can get a flight from Manila to a northen provincial airport which will save you a gruelling nine/ ten hour journey, but after that its buses Im afraid. Also Jeepneys only work in large towns or cities unless you privately hire one. You can get flights from the mainland to most of the large islands but they are not cheap. Also avoid Mindanao as there is a lot of ISIS unrest. Tribesman is also right about the food. When you're out in the sticks the cuisine is debatable.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 pm

rayzer wrote:Also avoid Mindanao as there is a lot of ISIS unrest.
I have enough dodgy looks at any immigration checks anyways with my passport history having Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey and Pakistan mixed with loads of little European cities so will definitely avoid that :lol:

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 pm

My wife is a Filipino and her family are from near Sagado so when she gets back from work tonight I will quiz her to give you a better idea of how to get around and then I will get back to you.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Rayzer are you from Aberdeen?

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes
This user liked this post: Loyalclaret

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:00 pm

I think I may have met you in a small bar by the Aberdeen Harbour, the Regent Bridge Bar? Drinking with a friend from Yorkshire.

Sorry to derail the thread bfccrazy!

Yeovil1951
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Yeovil1951 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Stop in at the Talk Talk call center

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm

I was down the harbour, but I was in apub called Aitchies.
This user liked this post: Loyalclaret

GordonvaleClaret
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 am

I'm currently in Manila, escaping the heat/humidity of Cairns at this time of the year. The other night, we got a cab home, distance on its GPS stated 1.61km to destination. That's 1 mile I thought to my clever self. Journey took 1 hour 10 minutes. As stated earlier, avoid Manila if possible.
Consider arriving at Clark (Angeles), north of Manila, or Cebu, south of Manila. Singapore Airlines fly Singapore to Clark. Good if you're planning to go north. Emirates fly Dubai to Cebu to Clark to Dubai. Good if you're planning to to go south then maybe afterwards north.
In the meantime get a bit of training in. Remove the bog seat and practice squatting on the rim. If you have difficulty reaching that plastic pan in the bucket of water, make sure you take plenty of bog rolls with you. A supply of soap is recommended too.

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Bfccrazy. Look this company up. They maybe what you are looking for. Happymove Trips, Travel and Tours. Email: Johnrey226@yahoo.com
Basically they run high class mini buses allover the Philippines. They have about 12 seats on them and if they are going to eg. Sagada, as soon as they have 12 seats booked then off they go. They are very popular so you would have to book in advance. I looked up one of their trips to Sagada and it worked out approx £40 from Manila and that includes 3 nights accomodation.
The minibuses have aircon , wifi, and believe it or not, karaoke. Hope this helps.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:47 pm

My fiancee is from Santiago City in the north

Do not go south of Philippines as infiltrated with shall we say unpleasant Muslim

I was told that by guy whose wife is from the south
His words not mine he said be very careful on south of you are white

Also stay clear of the Typhoon season as my fiancee family house nearly blown down last season
Worse in the north I believe

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm

mkmel wrote:My fiancee is from Santiago City in the north

Do not go south of Philippines as infiltrated with shall we say unpleasant Muslim

I was told that by guy whose wife is from the south
His words not mine he said be very careful on south of you are white

Also stay clear of the Typhoon season as my fiancee family house nearly blown down last season
Worse in the north I believe
How far south is “south”?

I’m not white but my partner is so just wondering. Never expected a big problem there tbh before it got mentioned on this thread. Shows what the guide books avoid saying eh.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 pm

rayzer wrote:Bfccrazy. Look this company up. They maybe what you are looking for. Happymove Trips, Travel and Tours. Email: Johnrey226@yahoo.com
Basically they run high class mini buses allover the Philippines. They have about 12 seats on them and if they are going to eg. Sagada, as soon as they have 12 seats booked then off they go. They are very popular so you would have to book in advance. I looked up one of their trips to Sagada and it worked out approx £40 from Manila and that includes 3 nights accomodation.
The minibuses have aircon , wifi, and believe it or not, karaoke. Hope this helps.
I will definitely have a look - thank you!

That seems too good price wise too.

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:27 pm

You wont even go

rayzer

Post by rayzer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 pm

You have to remember a living wage over there is approx 7000pesos. The price per person for the trip was 3000pesos. Divide 3000 × 12 people and they do alright out of one trip. I would imagine they make good tips also. P.S. The 7000 pesos is per month.(approx £125).

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:50 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:You wont even go
Great input mate :lol:

Send me a postcard from your annual trip to the canaries :lol:

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:51 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Great input mate :lol:

Send me a postcard from your annual trip to the canaries :lol:
But i know you. And i know you wont be going. Love the fake posts tho pal

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:51 pm

rayzer wrote:You have to remember a living wage over there is approx 7000pesos. The price per person for the trip was 3000pesos. Divide 3000 × 12 people and they do alright out of one trip. I would imagine they make good tips also. P.S. The 7000 pesos is per month.(approx £125).
I’ve seen the trips for the island hopping which came up at around £70/80 each for a couple of nights which included camping and food/drink and snorkelling etc ...

It is madness the cost of everything there but I still expect it to add up a fair bit after all the different bits are accounted for.
Last edited by bfccrazy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:52 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:But i know you. And i know you wont be going. Love the fake posts tho pal
And why would that be? :?

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm

SHAN must be goin off big time...

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:55 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:SHAN must be goin off big time...
Called it a day on that - was a cash cow .... shows how well you know me that I binned that off ages ago :lol:

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:56 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Called it a day on that - was a cash cow .... shows how well you know me that I binned that off ages ago :lol:
SHAN SPECIAL

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Don’t know if you’re trying for a bite here or are feeling bitter :?

Confusing.....

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Bosscat wrote:You should have a chat with Gordaleman on the Lancashire Blackburnegraph pages m8 he goes regularly.... he has a very good friend ;) out there if you know what I mean ;)
Yes hes very 'tight'with Imelda.