Jimmy Dunne

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleytom
Been Liked: 16 times

Jimmy Dunne

Post by burnleytom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Not nice to hear, but Jimmy Dunne getting absolute pelters from Sunderland fans on Twitter. Yes, I know it's not a great place to go to truly assess his form, but lots of them not happy with him.

If it is the case that he is struggling, will be all the better in terms of his learning I would say, than the standard faced most weeks at SPL level.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3864 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Re: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:15 pm

He didn't look at his best Vs Accy but neither did any of the Sunderland players.
He will learn more if he survives bad patches under lots of pressure than on easy street.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:16 pm

I don’t understand why he didn’t go to Stanley - much easier to track his progress and only down the road.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:17 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I don’t understand why he didn’t go to Stanley - much easier to track his progress and only down the road.
Loan fee/ wages contribution.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:20 pm

MACCA wrote:Loan fee/ wages contribution.
Surely it’d be minimal in comparison to how well he could be tracked for future at the club?

I’m guessing it’d probably equate to a months wage over a season for another player at the club - which in the grand scheme of things wouldn’t be huge.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Unfair of them to give him grief so soon after he arrived, but I have to say the folks who come on here mentioning him as a first team prospect might have a longish wait. I have seen him a couple of times at Stanley and he's a big, strong lad alright, but he's always looked a bit raw to me and a booking-a-game prospect. I really hope he comes good with experience. :|

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Centre backs don't ever really start to come into their own until at least their mid 20's. It's a position where physical development and understanding of the game are probably most important.
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller LeadBelly mybloodisclaret

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Hendrickxz wrote:Unfair of them to give him grief so soon after he arrived, but I have to say the folks who come on here mentioning him as a first team prospect might have a longish wait. I have seen him a couple of times at Stanley and he's a big, strong lad alright, but he's always looked a bit raw to me and a booking-a-game prospect. I really hope he comes good with experience. :|
He has a few years to progress with how we play our CB’s - he could be the new Kevin Long who just provides adequate cover for the next decade happily?

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Multiplied by 10

Plus 1

Jimmy dunne
This user liked this post: Falcon

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Well Sunderland won 4-2 last night didn’t they?

I don’t know if he played or not.

Ungrateful sods.

Let’s get him back, leave them in that **** division that they are in.
These 2 users liked this post: bfccrazy Cleveleys_claret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:31 pm

burnleytom wrote:Not nice to hear, but Jimmy Dunne getting absolute pelters from Sunderland fans on Twitter. Yes, I know it's not a great place to go to truly assess his form, but lots of them not happy with him.
That just about sums up the bad side of twitter - all based on the one game against Accrington and the keyboard warriors came out looking for a scapegoat.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Sunderland 3rd = every player sh!te and not fit to wear the shirt

Sunderland 2nd = “We’re on a roll, I can see us going straight through the Championship next season”
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony IndigoLake Bosscat Juan Tanamera

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That just about sums up the bad side of twitter - all based on the one game against Accrington and the keyboard warriors came out looking for a scapegoat.
There’s also a post about him on the Sunderland message board I read after they played Accy. Not nice reading, and was highlighted on twitter by Hearts fans acting angrily at the Sunderland fans.

Hearts love him, Sunderland hate him. Sunderland are going through a transition at the moment, and have had such poor times for a club their size that it will probably be quite poisonous quickly if they’re not winning.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Claretforever wrote:There’s also a post about him on the Sunderland message board I read after they played Accy. Not nice reading, and was highlighted on twitter by Hearts fans acting angrily at the Sunderland fans.

Hearts love him, Sunderland hate him. Sunderland are going through a transition at the moment, and have had such poor times for a club their size that it will probably be quite poisonous quickly if they’re not winning.
I've spoken to my mate up there and he says there has been no real criticism of him at all at the games. He think he's been fine other than the Accy game. Interestingly it was the other central defender left out last night, not Dunne.
This user liked this post: Claretforever

burnleytom

Post by burnleytom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:21 pm

As I said at the start, Twitter isn't the best forum, but the local press don't seem too impressed either.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Not seen enough of him to comment but the same day Dunk fell on his arras to let Chris Wood score Jimmy did exactly the same for a very late Oxford equaliser at the SofL. He had already given them the lead but haters will be haters. This followed by a shaky performance against Stanley could have brought them out of the closet.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 am

burnleytom wrote:As I said at the start, Twitter isn't the best forum, but the local press don't seem too impressed either.

Is that the same local press who had previously been praising him to high heaven?

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2310 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:Is that the same local press who had previously been praising him to high heaven?
Some people use Twitter as a search enginer to read any comment with a persons name in it, too much time on their hands

burnleytom

Post by burnleytom » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:13 am

Not sure if the local press have been praising him or not previously. I don't live there, so don't get the local press, much the same as with Burnley. I guess that kind of ties in with the post that follows; given I don't have a huge amount of time spare, I only very occasionally look at how our players out on loan are doing. I can't track them every game, and it's on that basis that I noticed that Dunne was coming in for some stick. I only really noticed it on Twitter as a Google search to look up his appearances and whether he was in the team pointed me in that direction.

As I said, if he is having a difficult period, then it will probably be hugely beneficial, rather than an easier ride most weeks in the SPL.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:37 am

burnleytom wrote:Not sure if the local press have been praising him or not previously. I don't live there, so don't get the local press
Reported on here, so you don't need to live there. Seems you have tracked one game and seen the comments from the keyboard warriors after Accrington when, admittedly, he didn't have a good game.

burnleytom

Post by burnleytom » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:40 pm

I actually looked after the Gillingham game this week, where I presume comments made must have been from people who either went to the game, or saw it on the Sky red button (if it was available?). So not any person who happened to see the Sky game.

Granted, any old person can comment on Twitter, and I did reference the problem with it as a source immediately. However, I do comment on the platform myself. On that basis, I don't think it's all that fair to therefore describe anyone who does as a 'keyboard warrior' immediately. I presume there is an equal possibility that people speak accurately on there as falsely? I also tried to balance out opinion by looking at the opinion of the local press.

In terms of being reported on here, as an exile, I appreciate, am grateful for and look forward to every single piece of content produced. However, I haven't seen any report or update on Dunne, Ali Koiki, or any other of our players out on loan at any point in February for an example. This is honestly no criticism, but an instead, an explanation of why I choose to look elsewhere to see how they are doing. I don't know any Sunderland fans to ask, nor any Swindon ones for that matter. As such, it seems to me to be legitimate to look to forums like Twitter for some sort of idea. The other point of reference could be a fans messageboard. Threads such as this seem to back Twitter comments:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/j ... e.1462988/

Do I accept this combination of views, along with what a press reporter says? Or is everyone on Twitter and a message board a 'keyboard warrior'? Given I engage in both, I chose the former.
This user liked this post: duncandisorderly

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:45 pm

He will be stronger for the criticism.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:17 pm

Was out with a Sunderland supporting mate last night who can be relied upon to be honest and reasonable. His assessment was that it's tough on Dunne - he has walked into the middle of a very poor (he actually used a different form of words there) defence.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:35 pm

burnleytom wrote:I actually looked after the Gillingham game this week, where I presume comments made must have been from people who either went to the game, or saw it on the Sky red button (if it was available?). So not any person who happened to see the Sky game.

Granted, any old person can comment on Twitter, and I did reference the problem with it as a source immediately. However, I do comment on the platform myself. On that basis, I don't think it's all that fair to therefore describe anyone who does as a 'keyboard warrior' immediately. I presume there is an equal possibility that people speak accurately on there as falsely? I also tried to balance out opinion by looking at the opinion of the local press.

In terms of being reported on here, as an exile, I appreciate, am grateful for and look forward to every single piece of content produced. However, I haven't seen any report or update on Dunne, Ali Koiki, or any other of our players out on loan at any point in February for an example. This is honestly no criticism, but an instead, an explanation of why I choose to look elsewhere to see how they are doing. I don't know any Sunderland fans to ask, nor any Swindon ones for that matter. As such, it seems to me to be legitimate to look to forums like Twitter for some sort of idea. The other point of reference could be a fans messageboard. Threads such as this seem to back Twitter comments:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/j ... e.1462988/

Do I accept this combination of views, along with what a press reporter says? Or is everyone on Twitter and a message board a 'keyboard warrior'? Given I engage in both, I chose the former.

This is an excellent response to a quite unnecessary post.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:31 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Surely it’d be minimal in comparison to how well he could be tracked for future at the club?

I’m guessing it’d probably equate to a months wage over a season for another player at the club - which in the grand scheme of things wouldn’t be huge.
You are familiar to how we operate arent you?
If there was a chance of 50p more from a club our board would want it, money is money to us. Every pound is a pound more on the profit sheet.

;-)
This user liked this post: bfccrazy

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:36 pm

I never get the old "he'll benefit from this" comment when used in relation to a young player taking abuse.

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:34 pm

For what it's worth, I work with two Sunderland fans.

One of them says he's the best centre half he's seen there for years, but not capable of Prem football. The other has mixed feelings, but sees potential. Sounds like he's doing alright.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3082 times
Has Liked: 5059 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:23 am

I know a couple of Sunderland fans that go regular, one likes him the other thinks he's ****.
I explained that Keane looked good at Burnley, but shot at Everton. It's all about teamwork in defence. Sunderland also have a fullback who goes walk about all the time, he's the real weak link

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:41 pm

Just for some balance: This is what his manager had to say about his performance yesterday, singling Dunne out for praise.

"It's like everything, the team has been criticised at times, individuals have been criticised at times. We've got quite a few young players and this is a whole new learning experience for them at times, and they've experienced different types of games on a weekly basis. "There were a lot of balls forward, a lot of balls into the box. We knew that would happen.

"If you're stripping it right back, we wanted a more physical presence in the box and he, I'll look back at it but I would guess he's into double figures in terms of the headed clearances or clearances from his own box."

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:44 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I don’t understand why he didn’t go to Stanley - much easier to track his progress and only down the road.
It's no easier nor no more difficult given the people we have out watching games to keep track of him. I was told Accy wanted him back at the start of the season but thought they could have him for nothing. And he'll be better off at Sunderland ultimately I'd suggest, he will learn from playing in front of bigger crowds which, at the SSOL, are often toxic.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18273 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Sunderlands swimming pool built next to the SSoL is a cracker....

Built as an Olympic Size 8 lane 50 mtre competion class Swimming Pool.

When it was Tiled and finished off ready for action and measured... they found it was only 49.95 mtres long so could not be classed as an Olympic sized competion Pool...

So its just a Swimming Pool :lol: :lol: :lol:

We were told this fact by a Policewoman who guided the Supporters Club coach to its parking spot....

Comedy Gold

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:22 am

ClaretTony wrote:It's no easier nor no more difficult given the people we have out watching games to keep track of him. I was told Accy wanted him back at the start of the season but thought they could have him for nothing. And he'll be better off at Sunderland ultimately I'd suggest, he will learn from playing in front of bigger crowds which, at the SSOL, are often toxic.
He’s definitely getting a real lesson in the world of football anyway. Promotion with Accy would have been a real buzz. Hearts would be moving into a different footballing culture and miles away from anybody he knows - Sunderland he’ll be getting the “big club” treatment where fans are very fickle after a couple of dodgy results (sounds familiar to us at times). He’ll definitely improve in my opinion as a player and a person - I can see him being the next understudy too for a while, ready to fill in and take his spot.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:32 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Surely it’d be minimal in comparison to how well he could be tracked for future at the club?

Nothing to do with the loan fee, the decision was Dunne's to make. This was Dyche's interview after the loan had been announced...

“Jimmy has done very well for Accrington Stanley and at Hearts and he continues to mature as a player.

“The Hearts loan was only cut short through injury, but a lot of options became available and we always chat to players about their options.

“There are a lot of influences on a player these days, and the way I look at it is that if they want to be at a particular club, with that challenge, that’s a good start.

“There are no comebacks on me or the club, for one.

“We advise on the clubs available and they take in the challenge and we support it. Jimmy decided the next one is Sunderland and we want him to do well.”

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:48 pm

FeedTheArf wrote:Nothing to do with the loan fee
Accrington weren't an option because they weren't prepared to pay the fee

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Ah right, fair enough. To be honest I think he's better off at Sunderland anyway. It'll be good for his development to play for a club with higher expectations. You either sink or swim in that kind of pressured environment so it'll be a good test for him.