Champions! Burnley Are Back video

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Champions! Burnley Are Back video

Post by Zom Zom » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 pm

I mentioned this video in another thread the other day, and found myself dusting it down and having a watch yesterday.

It really doesn't seem 27 years ago. I recall being at most of the matches, the home game with Blackpool particularly as I felt awful on the day with a hell of a headache.

Some good goals, some very good goals and the less said about the quality of defending the better. What I love about this video though, are the scenes behind the goals away at Walsall and Scun-thorpe after we equalise. Pandemonium!

Other notable moments, the build up to John Deary's goal v Northampton. The two flicks that allow him to run on to the ball are class. Mike Conroy's stepover v Cardiff that allowed Robbie Painter to scoop the ball home and Deary again, grabbing Dean Kiely after we levelled at York. Did Kiely receive a card for that trip on Painter? I don't recall.

There were some players who I recall being decent or too good for that level. Cardiff had Nathan Blake of course but also a lad called Cohen Griffith who looked rather handy. Scarborough's keeper Gary Ford had a blinder at the Turf, among others.

A great watch, bar the 5-2 thumping at Bloomfield Road.
UTC
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Re: Champions! Burnley Are Back video

Post by Sausage » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:23 pm

I had an annoying habit of missing most of the good away games that season, but I was in the away end at Walsall when Conroy equalised and it was indeed pandemonium.

As for the Deary-Kiely incident at York, only Deary got booked. Kiely got away without even a reprimand. Mind you, I'll bet he shat his pants.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:21 pm

I wonder what went through the keepers mind at York as more and more people circled the pitch.

Lucky for him when the full time whistle went nobody even knew he was there.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:25 pm

You mention Kielly and Deary having a real set to after the equaliser at York and Kielly was bang out of order, literally booting Painter who wasn't even looking, after the ball went in. Deary saw it and stuck up for him and got booked, Kielly I don't think got owt. If it happened today Deary would definitely have been off and how harsh and unjust would that have been? Kielly went on to have a top career, but I never forgot his petulance that night which happened right in front of us. Knob!

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:You mention Kielly and Deary having a real set to after the equaliser at York and Kielly was bang out of order, literally booting Painter who wasn't even looking, after the ball went in. Deary saw it and stuck up for him and got booked, Kielly I don't think got owt. If it happened today Deary would definitely have been off and how harsh and unjust would that have been? Kielly went on to have a top career, but I never forgot his petulance that night which happened right in front of us. Knob!
I can be seen on the back cover of that when Davis scored against Barnet at home. I was a stewared in the Bob Lord that season so i got paid for the privilege of watching that season. We were less professional than they are now naturally :D

Walsall away was a highlight. I can't remember a celebration as wild. We were packed in behind that goal and i was with a mate directly behind the goals next to the Police control room at the back. As the celebrations subsided there was nobody around us and a clear 6 ft space all around us as everyone else had surged forwards.
Northampton away was memorable too. Strange ground when half of it was the cricket ground. Andy Marriots last game for us. Sickening last minute equaliser..the home fans were still singing "You're not singing anymore" as Conroy banged in the winner..cue more crazy celebrations. The guy with the crutches can be seen waving them in the air in the video.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Northampton's ground was ramshackle to say the least - I think there had been a fire in the lead-up to our game which had destroyed part of the stand (to our right). If I remember correctly the programme was a one-sheet photocopy.

Their stadium announcer came on the pitch before the game and said something like "I've never seen so many away fans - is Burnley closed?"

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Quick quiz question : Northampton's ground was three sided, due to it's summer use hosting County Cricket . Which other current league ground had a similar arrangement until the last County Championship match was completed there in August 1973 ?

Easy enough for anyone over 60, I suspect .....

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Quick quiz question : Northampton's ground was three sided, due to it's summer use hosting County Cricket . Which other current league ground had a similar arrangement until the last County Championship match was completed there in August 1973 ?

Easy enough for anyone over 60, I suspect .....
Bramall Lane..I'm only 45 btw 8-)
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Fenwick
Been Liked: 202 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by Fenwick » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Sheffield utd's?

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Posted this a few months back. Footage of the York game but from the opposite side of the ground. Seems so weird seeing those famous images from a totally inverted perspective...enjoy!

https://youtu.be/uQhWimrQnWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:Bramall Lane..I'm only 45 btw 8-)
I'm only 55, but there's no need to boast ! :D
Well done Fenwick, also !

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Posted this a few months back. Footage of the York game but from the opposite side of the ground. Seems so weird seeing those famous images from a totally inverted perspective...enjoy!

I saw them earlier last year. I don’t recall whether it was from your post or to do with an argument online where a fan of another club claimed we didn’t have any fans on the side of the main stand with the paddock. There are clearly Burnley fans in the stand as they’re stood up during the game, and the paddock looked full of Clarets, just as I remembered.

What was surprising to me was the fans in the home end. I knew there were Clarets in the home seats on the opposite side to the main stand as I knew people at the other side of the fence to where I was sat. There were quite a few. What I didn’t realise was the “700” fans in the corner of the ground separated only by stewards from home fans. I’ve heard of it a few times, but you can see on that video fans going onto the pitch from that corner.

I’ve seen figures of 5,500 Burnley fans at York, and the official crowd being 7,600, but blimey! There must have been FAR more in that ground on the night. They delayed kick off didn’t they?

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Claretforever wrote:I saw them earlier last year. I don’t recall whether it was from your post or to do with an argument online where a fan of another club claimed we didn’t have any fans on the side of the main stand with the paddock. There are clearly Burnley fans in the stand as they’re stood up during the game, and the paddock looked full of Clarets, just as I remembered.

What was surprising to me was the fans in the home end. I knew there were Clarets in the home seats on the opposite side to the main stand as I knew people at the other side of the fence to where I was sat. There were quite a few. What I didn’t realise was the “700” fans in the corner of the ground separated only by stewards from home fans. I’ve heard of it a few times, but you can see on that video fans going onto the pitch from that corner.

I’ve seen figures of 5,500 Burnley fans at York, and the official crowd being 7,600, but blimey! There must have been FAR more in that ground on the night. They delayed kick off didn’t they?
Definitely fans in the paddock by the main stand. I was in there. I was below the outhouse buildings near the away end..directly below the camera showing the angle we normally see of the goals. It was on the roof behind me. At the front was a picket fence that i got caught on when running onto the pitch at the end :D

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Re. The Kielly kicking incident; it’s the centre half that takes a failed kick at Painter, first. Seemingly heartened by this, Kielly then takes a swing at him, too. The first was petulant, the second was just downright snide. What a pair of tossers.

shulgin
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by shulgin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 pm

Someone needs to upload this **** onto the internet in full. Still got my tape but no vhs player these days. Got the inlay signed by the full squad.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 am

The greatest season ever! We all knew something special was in the offing. Each and every game (from Wrexham onwards) had an electricity to it...especially the away games. I missed the one away game that season (Maidstone) and they were GREAT away days (except Cardiff!!!).

Watching York gives me goosebumps every time.

Thanks for the post!

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 am

...and Blackpool :-)

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 am

HiroshimaClaret wrote:The greatest season ever! We all knew something special was in the offing. Each and every game (from Wrexham onwards) had an electricity to it...especially the away games. I missed the one away game that season (Maidstone) and they were GREAT away days (except Cardiff!!!).

Watching York gives me goosebumps every time.

Thanks for the post!
Cardiff was an excellent and memorable away win that season. A good day out if you discount the lumps of concrete landing at my feet and heading straight for the coach toilet after the game incase the coach got bricked..most did. Saw several overturned sensible priced minibuses in the car park too. I don't think they were pleased we beat them. We effectively killed their play-off chances that season as we did the double on them and both games were late on in the season i think?

Working_Class_Zero
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Working_Class_Zero » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 am

shulgin wrote:Someone needs to upload this **** onto the internet in full. Still got my tape but no vhs player these days. Got the inlay signed by the full squad.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... a4p0aRI_x0

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:52 am

That link deserves it's own post .....

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:07 am

Somethingfishy wrote:Cardiff was an excellent and memorable away win that season. A good day out if you discount the lumps of concrete landing at my feet and heading straight for the coach toilet after the game incase the coach got bricked..most did. Saw several overturned sensible priced minibuses in the car park too. I don't think they were pleased we beat them. We effectively killed their play-off chances that season as we did the double on them and both games were late on in the season i think?
Not as late on as you think, I believe. I would go for early March but I could be completely wrong - in fact...wasn`t it St.David`s Day!!!??? Our coach took a wrong turn before the game and went straight through the pub zone as the leek boys were leaving the pubs. A few tried to enter our coach...not pleasant. When Conroy scored the second everyone around me thought `oops` as thre home stands emptied and made their way behind us.

todclaret
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by todclaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:11 am

jdrobbo wrote:Posted this a few months back. Footage of the York game but from the opposite side of the ground. Seems so weird seeing those famous images from a totally inverted perspective...enjoy!

I think that is footage York's official video coverage.
Wow, 27 years ago. Brings back the taste of the beer and the smell of the pies.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:47 am

That footage from the other side was on the official highlights video the club released. Used to be two a season in those days.

todclaret
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by todclaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:08 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:That footage from the other side was on the official highlights video the club released. Used to be two a season in those days.
yes, that's correct. but I think it originated from York City for inclusion on our VHS

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:31 am

I would think so yes. I’m not sure but I would have thought most highlights around that time would have come from the home teams cameras. The range is quality for some of them on those videos is remarkable.

There was obviously a story building for us that year which meant other companies took an interest towards the end.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:50 am

Yes, Northampton was definitely weird with having the cricket ground on one side and brilliant that Walsall was, with us coming back from 2-0 down to get a draw at the end, we actually came close to snatching the win as Lancashire? had a real chance right at the death which was saved. As my user name suggests I sulked and was livid for ages afterwards about us not getting all 3 points there!!

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:45 am

Wrexham away - AMAZING
Halifax away - AMAZING
Northampton away - AMAZING
Walsall away - AMAZING
Scunthorpe away - AMAZING
Cardiff away - AMAZING
Mansfield away - AMAZING
Carlisle away - AMAZING
York City - THE MOST AMAZING GAME EVER
Rochdale away - AMAZING

What memories! The greatest of times!!!!!

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:56 am

How earth was the old 4th division amazing? I just don't get Burnley folk stuck in the past.

Now these times or amazing playing the worlds football giants and experienceing European nights. Playing the likes of Rochdale, Maidstone and Walsall was crap, that is why gates slumped to 2500

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:57 am

With all these happy memories being recounted, surely it’s time to have a lasting Memorial at the Turf for the man who made it all possible? The man who created the magic, the man who pulled the Club up by it’s bootstraps and gave us all Hope and Pride again.

The Frank Teasdale Stand, anyone?
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 am

Top Claret wrote:How earth was the old 4th division amazing? I just don't get Burnley folk stuck in the past.
There's nothing wrong with reminiscing about a brilliant season, even it was 27 years ago. What's the point of the here-and-now if you can't look back on it with pride in the future?
Top Claret wrote:Now these times or amazing playing the worlds football giants and experienceing European nights. Playing the likes of Rochdale, Maidstone and Walsall was crap, that is why gates slumped to 2500
That rather depends on whether you go to matches just to watch the football or to enjoy a more holistic experience where the beers, your mates, the atmosphere and sheer joy of just winning (whatever the division) is more important than the quality of the opposition. Anyway, an average home league attendance of 10,160 for that season tells a different story to your claim of 2,500.
This user liked this post: kritichris

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:37 am

Top Claret wrote:How earth was the old 4th division amazing? I just don't get Burnley folk stuck in the past.

Now these times or amazing playing the worlds football giants and experienceing European nights. Playing the likes of Rochdale, Maidstone and Walsall was crap, that is why gates slumped to 2500

Were you there? I`m doubting it. I`m putting you somewhere in the late 20s. It is very difficult to gauge as your grammar is so appalling.

I would say that without that particular season, our beloved club would not be where we are now. IF you were in the away end at Wrexham, you would have some sense of the tingle of excitement people felt...something great was about to happen.

Regardless of your age or whether you are subconsciously fishing, you are showing an incredible ignorance of where the club was, the depths it had plummeted to and what that particular season brought, both on the field and in the mindset of the fans. It was an incredibly special time and one, now that I live in Japan, will never be replicated or replaced in my heart.

Let`s just celebrate that time and not descend into pettiness.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am

Yep...definitely the greatest season ever in terms of sheer glorious fun of supporting Burnley. All my computer/website passwords are linked to that glorious season !

Great to see the video celebrated on this thread. I'm another who still has it (but no VHS player) so great to see the You Tube link. Aside from Johnny Francis running towards my outstretched arms when he scored at Carlisle the bit I always remember is there on the You Tube link for the pre-season Manx Cup game v Bury ...check it out 1 minute 3 seconds in as we fanny about a bit on the edge of the Bury box and a bloke bellows " 'It the fookin thing !"...made me laugh the first time I saw the video and still does now. You don't get production values like that from Sky !

As a footnote i still think the fact I "had to" attend my then wife's friend's wedding on the day of the away game at Northampton was a factor in my subsequent divorce. I've never got over missing that game :(

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Watching the old 4th division, was amazing, during that season

For many supporters, this was the end of a decade of us at rock bottom and the start of the climb to where we are now.

Yes being sat on plastic seats watching multi-million pound players is something a lot of us could never imagine, but being packed in on the terrace at the likes of Rochdale, Maidstone and Walsall certainly weren't crap.

Do I want to be back there? Certainly not, but it's bloody good thinking back to THAT season

mrs_w is out tomorrow night - think i might watch the DVD version i have :D
These 4 users liked this post: HiroshimaClaret Zom Zom Anonymous Buxtonclaret

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 pm

I'm with wilks_bfc on this. It had to start getting better at some point, and under Jimmy Mullen it certainly did. I feel that in those days, there was more of a connection between the players and the fans (maybe that's just me).

No way would I like to see a return to that level, but these were heady days and I loved them.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:With all these happy memories being recounted, surely it’s time to have a lasting Memorial at the Turf for the man who made it all possible? The man who created the magic, the man who pulled the Club up by it’s bootstraps and gave us all Hope and Pride again.

The Frank Teasdale Stand, anyone?
Doubt you’ll get the backing of this site for that one.

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:01 pm

It was the first season for many that we had any semblance of success. Our attendance had dwindled..as had the footy and after the Orient game people started to realise there was the potential for more...and it built and built gradually. Most away games for a season or so before that we tended to take over the town we were going to..Sensible Priced minibuses and vans did a roaring trade and several of the supporters clubs we know now were formed about then too. It felt amazing to actually have a winning team to match the fans passion at last. The pride was back.

Very difficult to compare it to now. Totally different experience but it is one that makes those of us that experienced it a more rounded football fan. We were the big fish in a small pond. The opposite is true now and success is gauged differently. Most of us never dreamed that less than 20 years later we would have made the top division. It was light years away from us then..both on and off the field.

Anyone that doesnt understand this clearly wasn't there and those that can't see why we feel like we do are clearly of the Premier League is everything generation.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Still think it's about time we had a half time guest spot for one Jimmy Mullen. I think the roof would come off the stands if he walked onto the pitch at half time. And I have that video on DVD. Still a great watch 27 years on.
These 2 users liked this post: 4:20 HiroshimaClaret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 am

Never got the love in with Jimmy Mullen. Short memories the lot of you, or you didn't watch many Burnley games back then. I went to most games home and away and apart from Mullens 1st season when he took us up, the football was rubbish.

If Teasdale had have kept Mullen at the club any longer we would have had another Orient on our hands, guareteed, he was way out of his depth.

There is only one man who turned this club around and that is Barry Kilby with the help of Stan Tenant.

I won't take a lecture from a clever Japanese **** who never watches the clarets only on TV. I live in Spain now and still travel to most of the home and away games.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 am

Trevor Quwo of Northampton "fame"

Possibly the slowest, crappest player I've ever seen (and I've seen many). So slow it looks as though hes pulling a heavily laden chest freezer :D

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Still think it's about time we had a half time guest spot for one Jimmy Mullen. I think the roof would come off the stands if he walked onto the pitch at half time. And I have that video on DVD. Still a great watch 27 years on.
Was asked several times but refused. And we don’t do the half time thing any longer.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:Cardiff was an excellent and memorable away win that season. A good day out if you discount the lumps of concrete landing at my feet and heading straight for the coach toilet after the game incase the coach got bricked..most did. Saw several overturned sensible priced minibuses in the car park too. I don't think they were pleased we beat them. We effectively killed their play-off chances that season as we did the double on them and both games were late on in the season i think?
Yes when we all ran down the steps to avoid the concrete shower, the police thought we were rioting!

I walked through the car park where lots of Windows were broken. Police turned blind eye. Got to my car, parked in a nearby close. Blocked in by locals! Had to wriggle back and forth, gaining a couple of inches each time. Took ages. Wasn't going to enquire of the owners!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:47 pm

Top Claret wrote:Never got the love in with Jimmy Mullen
Neither did the players

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:48 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:Trevor Quwo of Northampton "fame"

Possibly the slowest, crappest player I've ever seen (and I've seen many). So slow it looks as though hes pulling a heavily laden chest freezer :D
Your memory isn't so good - he was never that quick :D

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Neither did the players
Would that be generally,CT or certain individuals from different seasons? Always got the impression that there was a 'feel good factor' from the 4th div. winning season?

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Your memory isn't so good - he was never that quick :D
To be fair, he'd stayed on despite being injured in that game ..... although I grant you, his middle name wasn't " Linford " at the best of times !! :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:29 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:Would that be generally,CT or certain individuals from different seasons? Always got the impression that there was a 'feel good factor' from the 4th div. winning season?
I'd say generally

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:52 am

Regardless of the generality of players` feelings towards Jimmy Mullen, our club owes him a huge debt of gratitude for getting us out of the pit that was the 4th division. Neither of the club legends Miller or Casper could do it and in the play-off game at Torquay, Casper was an utter embarrassment to the club.

Jimmy Mullen galvanised a group of players into a team of champions who gave many their first taste of success watching their beloved Clarets. That season under Mullen made me proud to be a Burnley fan and brought with it such incredible away days. Lest we not forget Mullen subsequently got us up another rung of the ladder, giving us a glimpse of where Burnley should at least strive to be. It went wrong, yes, but don`t most manager`s stints? Ternent brilliantly built on those foundations, aspirations and expectations and we are where we are today, undoubtledly because of Mullen, Ternent and of course, Dyche. A true triumvirate of excellent managers, all of whom have had their sticky patches.

Mullen, in my eyes, is a legend and deserves unwavering respect for what he did for us.
This user liked this post: Herts Clarets