Reclaiming package bank account fees.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Reclaiming package bank account fees.

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:22 pm

I have come across this on MSE and decided to give it a go. I have had an Additions account for nearly 22 years. In that time i have had this extra fee to enable myself to have a small overdraft buffer. I have never needed to use any of the extras they bundle with it as i have cover elsewhere. Now it turns out i can claim to get these expenses back as it is likely it was mis-sold.
I could be in line for £3000+ if the example on this page is anything to go by as he got nearly 3000 for having it 18 years. Understandably i am quite excited by this prospect.

Anybody else tried claiming money back for this?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/recla ... -accounts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4026 times

Re: Reclaiming package bank account fees.

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Gonna be looking at it. Just got round to looking into whether I had Ppi or not, and was quite pleasantly surprised.

Feels nice taking money off them for a change. The financial crisis caused by them literally cost me thousands.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:17 pm

It isn’t as easy as reclaiming PPI, as your circumstances need to be a bit more specific depending on what’s included with the account, but worth a try.

One thing you shouldn’t do is pay anyone to do it for you (even on a no win no fee basis). All you really need to do is send a few emails and your bank will do all the legwork.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Did mine direct with the Bank was actually easy was a coupe of years ago so couldn’t tell you the process but google will find the forms and you just fill in what you know and post it off. Alternatively I think your Bank has to help you get the correct stuff they helped me.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Pathetic. What can I claim for next ? Oh that curbstone is a bit high.

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:16 pm

It is mis-selling in the same way as PPI was. Just less widespread as not as many people have packaged accounts. I was clearly told i had to have this account to have an overdraft facility..and it wasn't the case. They were asked to push it.

It is hardly the same as claiming for injuries that may or may not have happened.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18217 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:35 pm

I have a packaged account and never once was told I had to have it for an overdraft....

I was sold it on the things that came with it....

The Roadside Recovery (green flag)
World wide Multi-trip travel insurance
Mobile Phone insurance
Membership of the National Trust
Tastecard membership.

All worth far more to me than the cost of the packaged account fee.

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Bosscat wrote:I have a packaged account and never once was told I had to have it for an overdraft....

I was sold it on the things that came with it....

The Roadside Recovery (green flag)
World wide Multi-trip travel insurance
Mobile Phone insurance
Membership of the National Trust
Tastecard membership.

All worth far more to me than the cost of the packaged account fee.
As the article i linked states... many are good value. I don't use any of the perks with mine and never have had. I have always had other means for cover and so have never had the need. I was told that to have a small overdraft facility i had to have this type of account. It just wasn't true. I found this article as i was looking to move banks to get away from this account and its £25 a month charge. I will actually go as far to say that i wanted to cancel the insurance perks (Tech pack and Travel pack) but was told i still needed the account for an overdraft facility and that was only 2 years ago.Mis-sold twice in effect.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:39 am

Find the chief exec's name and address (head office normally or uk corporate address if relevant). This normally gets it dealt with by more experienced and focused complaints staff.

You can normally do it by email so you have a record of the correspondence you can easily refer to. You then have 8 weeks where they have to either respond with something you are happy with, or give their final answer which, if you aren't happy with you can then take to the ombudsman

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1170 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am

Somethingfishy wrote:As the article i linked states... many are good value. I don't use any of the perks with mine and never have had. I have always had other means for cover and so have never had the need. I was told that to have a small overdraft facility i had to have this type of account. It just wasn't true. I found this article as i was looking to move banks to get away from this account and its £25 a month charge. I will actually go as far to say that i wanted to cancel the insurance perks (Tech pack and Travel pack) but was told i still needed the account for an overdraft facility and that was only 2 years ago.Mis-sold twice in effect.

Is this Barclays?

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 am

Let me get this right. You've had these additions 'perks' for 22 years, in that time, annually you've purchased separate travel insurance, tech cover etc, and that is some how the banks fault?

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 pm

I mentioned this to my financial advisor Mrs B, suggesting we try claiming, I was then informed that our Bank charges us £3.00 per month but then gives us back £7.00 per month, not sure how that works but decided I'm happy with that.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Caballo wrote:Let me get this right. You've had these additions 'perks' for 22 years, in that time, annually you've purchased separate travel insurance, tech cover etc, and that is some how the banks fault?
I left financial services complaints before this all kicked off, but i can tell you they were certainly expecting this to be the next PPI. Its well worth getting a claim in

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Submitted a claim last night - thanks for the heads up. When I was a student, about 13 years ago, I needed an overdraft facility. I was told by Barclays that the only account I could have with such a facility came with a monthly fee. I had no reason not to believe the bank assistant so I 'upgraded' my account to an 'additions' account. I've no idea whether there was a free alternative, but if there was then I was mis-sold this package. I had it for a number of years at which point it was upgraded to a 'graduate additions' so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Riley I was in a similar boat I was led to believe I had to have this account that I had to pay for, the funny thing is for the majority of the time I had it I was in the Army in Germany so had no way of using anything on it really. They will or have asked about the circumstances of you starting the account, as long as you say I wasn’t given another option and I never used any or had any intention of using any of the addons I will be shocked if they don’t accept it and pay out.

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:15 pm

The link i give in the OP has a section where MSE use a site called Resolver and if you fill in that form it builds a letter and they automatically send it to your bank. All done for you more or less. Waiting on a reply now.