Bolton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 356 times

Re: Bolton

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Why is it though that everybody knows Bassini doesn’t have the funds though, apart from from EFL and BWFC.

Is he mentally unstable, a fantasist or is just a simple bullshitter? Maybe other millionaire people have strung him along... why put all the effort in to make you look like a saviour?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Royboyclaret wrote: However, saying all that, I think they need to move heaven and earth to ensure these two fixtures are played, otherwise the sanctions will then be colossal.
Colossal indeed. Surely they would have to go the way of Accy Stanley,mk1, and Aldershot for an unfinished season?

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Like forfeiting their League place. If they can’t pay their players, the club are clearly incompetent, they should be kicked out of the League altogether, not just suffer demotion down a division. Bostik Division beckons.
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Shame, shame.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Not sure if this correct but read somewhere that Bolton are under a registration embargo so if those under 18s were not registered to play in the EFL they would not be able to play.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:56 pm

NL Claret wrote:Not sure if this correct but read somewhere that Bolton are under a registration embargo so if those under 18s were not registered to play in the EFL they would not be able to play.

I might be mixing my rules, but I thought U21's didn't need registering?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:02 pm

NL Claret wrote:Not sure if this correct but read somewhere that Bolton are under a registration embargo so if those under 18s were not registered to play in the EFL they would not be able to play.
There was a short-lived embargo in January this year and the threat of a transfer ban is current (I think?). But I'd believe any U-18 player (as long as they're 15 or over) would be registered and eligible and I don't think EFL has the "playing squad" restriction of the PL. Maybe there's an expert on here.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 pm

The EFL can make Bolton use their U-18 squad to fulfill the final two fixtures.

That would've been the case today if the U-18s hadn't played on Thursday night.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Barry_Chuckle wrote:I said "would" not "Should".
Ok, why would they?
They aren't there to keep bailing out clubs, because that's what it will be if they keep coughing up the money.

ceborame
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by ceborame » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:53 pm

If this is a strike have the members been balloted ? this is just 1 of the requirements of the Trade Union Act in order for their strike to be lawful.

As far as I can see this is an unlawful strike by the players and by refusing to play they are in breach of contract and will be subject to the clubs' disciplinary procedures.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:02 pm

ceborame wrote:If this is a strike have the members been balloted ? this is just 1 of the requirements of the Trade Union Act in order for their strike to be lawful.

As far as I can see this is an unlawful strike by the players and by refusing to play they are in breach of contract and will be subject to the clubs' disciplinary procedures.
Presumably you are ignoring the fact that the club broke that contract by not paying them for 2 months?

ceborame

Post by ceborame » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 pm

I am not defending the club far from it, the players and staff have been treated appallingly.

However you can't just go on strike in this country anymore you will be breaking the law, as for the fact that they have not been paid, I am no expert on this but I doubt that the breach of contract by the club means the players can lawfully be in breach as well.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:27 pm

ceborame wrote:I am not defending the club far from it, the players and staff have been treated appallingly.

However you can't just go on strike in this country anymore you will be breaking the law, as for the fact that they have not been paid, I am no expert on this but I doubt that the breach of contract by the club means the players can lawfully be in breach as well.
I agree with you but I think we'd need an expert in football employment contract law. The players' contracts will not be like "normal people's" employment contracts and what constitutes material breach and what the players are entitled to do about it would need an expert view.
This user liked this post: ceborame

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:27 pm

Cost me money today, this shambles. I had Brentford on my coupon.

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 pm

I'd be interested to know what the average salary of a 1st team squad player was at Bolton such that missing just one months wage causes them such "mental stress and financial burden".

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:33 pm

thatdberight wrote:I agree with you but I think we'd need an expert in football employment contract law. The players' contracts will not be like "normal people's" employment contracts and what constitutes material breach and what the players are entitled to do about it would need an expert view.
Agreed, but I very much doubt that you can be forced to go into work when you haven't been paid for almost 8 weeks.(Indeed most people couldn't afford to keep going into work after such a long period without pay).

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Espia wrote:I'd be interested to know what the average salary of a 1st team squad player was at Bolton such that missing just one months wage causes them such "mental stress and financial burden".
It’s 2 months and running - I have read before that there is a huge amount of the population that are 3 or 4 months away from being homeless if they lost their job. Just because they’re paid handsomely doesnt make them immune to not feeling the squeeze of not being paid.

If they earn 5x an average person, no doubt their house/car/holidays etc... all cost 5x the average person too .... as they had a contract which should have paid them the money to live that lifestyle comfortably.

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:38 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
If they earn 5x an average person, no doubt their house/car/holidays etc... all cost 5x the average person too .... as they had a contract which should have paid them the money to live that lifestyle comfortably.
Yes, I know , it must be tough budgeting with their kind of incomes. Do you know where I could go to donate them some money ?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:44 pm

thatdberight wrote:I agree with you but I think we'd need an expert in football employment contract law. The players' contracts will not be like "normal people's" employment contracts and what constitutes material breach and what the players are entitled to do about it would need an expert view.
https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/training- ... ers-wages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth a read.
These 2 users liked this post: thatdberight ceborame

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Espia wrote:Yes, I know , it must be tough budgeting with their kind of incomes. Do you know where I could go to donate them some money ?
You missed the point completely, possibly intentionally.

People live within their means, if your means are £5k a week you'll have a more extravagant lifestyle and spending than someone on £400 a week, so yeah if the money isn't coming in they've still got financial commitments and footballers aren't really known for putting away for a rainy day.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Espia wrote:Yes, I know , it must be tough budgeting with their kind of incomes. Do you know where I could go to donate them some money ?
Out of interest Would you be ok not receiving a wage for a month or two..?

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 pm

Income goes up - standard of life goes up.

You don’t see any of the Burnley squad living up Stoops it Burnley Wood just because they could do.

If you went to work for 3 months and didn’t get paid, would you live the same standard as you are now?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:24 pm

I suspect (and what do I know) that the players are not within their rights as it currently stands legally but they are (in most people's view) morally and the club is in no position to take its whole first team squad to court, let alone that would inevitably allow the players to claim their relationships with the club had irretrievably broken down.

ceborame

Post by ceborame » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:02 am

There doesn't need to be any court action by the club in the first instance, unfortunately the club would be within their rights to discipline and most likely dismiss those in breach, they are an employer just like any other employer. In my opinion the players have made it easier for the club to terminate their contracts.

The courts would only be involved if the player/s decides he has been unfairly dismissed; then it would get very interesting !

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:42 am

ceborame wrote:There doesn't need to be any court action by the club in the first instance, unfortunately the club would be within their rights to discipline and most likely dismiss those in breach, they are an employer just like any other employer. In my opinion the players have made it easier for the club to terminate their contracts.
Oh no. They’ll get fired from a job they’re not getting paid for.

Bet they’ll be gutted.

Absolute Tory posting this morning.
This user liked this post: mickleoverclaret

ceborame

Post by ceborame » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:00 am

Socrates wrote:Oh no. They’ll get fired from a job they’re not getting paid for.

Bet they’ll be gutted.

Absolute Tory posting this morning.

I'm a Labour supporting, former trade union rep.

I am quite interested in how this one will play out from an employment law perspective, just stating the facts and the legal position (as I see it) leads you to call me a Tory, of course the latest Trade Union Act was brought in under a Tory government and maybe because that is now the current legislation and the one we have to abide by, is that why you think I am a Tory ?

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:06 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Bassini" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow!

1. What on earth persuaded anyone at BWFC that this guy could be their saviour?
2. What the **** happened to the “fit & proper person” test???

I was thinking Peter Shackleton, but this guy is an entirely different level of fantasist!

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:39 am

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/ ... 602/page-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just read up on this guy. Jesus, I can’t believe he’s been allowed to take charge. It’s all that’s wrong with the game.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am

Bolton must have had their internet disconnected so they couldn't check his Wiki! It's not a long page, but there's absolutely nothing good there!!! Clown of the highest order. (Probably got on great with Anderson!!)

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:03 am

Another message from Ken Anderson yesterday criticising Bassini, saying he has changed lawyers 4 or 5 times which has made things difficult.

Seen a tweet that Bassini has said he has had offers of £10m and £15m or might have been £15m / £20m, Watford fan tweeted he said the same at Watford.

Bassini said he didn't know the debt before "buying" the club.

It is a right mess, what are the EFL doing?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 am

The EFL aren't doing anything yet, because they can't I suppose.
Anderson found a buyer, as promised.
Bassini appears to be a bit of a turd and the sale is being dragged out unsurprisingly, he's probably trying to get a knock down price.

It's HMRC that people need to worry about, they're sat watching this farce and if the sale doesn't happen then they'll be dragging Bolton straight back into court.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am

ceborame wrote:There doesn't need to be any court action by the club in the first instance, unfortunately the club would be within their rights to discipline and most likely dismiss those in breach, they are an employer just like any other employer. In my opinion the players have made it easier for the club to terminate their contracts.

The courts would only be involved if the player/s decides he has been unfairly dismissed; then it would get very interesting !
The club's case might be that the strike is unlawful since the players have effectively declared it as a strike. But I don't know the details. I can't see any other legal action - a suit for specific performance is unlikely to be granted, even in the strange world of football, and what would that achieve - to be fair a caveat which applies to any action compelling the players. Given that the club's already relegated and that they have a way of fulfilling the fixtures, as well as the fact that they are clearly in a serious breach, the players aren't even on the hook for any impact their actions will have.
Last edited by thatdberight on Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:22 am

ceborame wrote:I'm a Labour supporting, former trade union rep.

I am quite interested in how this one will play out from an employment law perspective, just stating the facts and the legal position (as I see it) leads you to call me a Tory, of course the latest Trade Union Act was brought in under a Tory government and maybe because that is now the current legislation and the one we have to abide by, is that why you think I am a Tory ?
You are guilty of thinking about it and living in the real world where it's complicated and not everything is as you would want it. On a football message board, certainly this one, that'll guarantee a bit of abuse.
This user liked this post: ceborame

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:37 am

A serious talking to wouldn't suffice for Bassini, the arrogant bull shitting **** needs knee capping. I'm not into violence, but could make an exception for this turd. Football is a very emotional game, especially for the fans, to play the fool and lie to people, who are in a highly emotive state is sick.
Simon Jordan said on talk sport 4 weeks ago that he wouldn't have anything to do with him, he thought he was the most dishonest person to infest the game. Anderson must be desperate if he thinks any good was going to come out of dealing with him.
It's time the EFL took action. Get HMRC to call in the liquidators, and let them run the club, and try to find a buyer. If it means starting at the bottom of the pyramid, it's better than dying.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 am

Good point above about illegal action. I’m out of touch now but wasn’t 7 days notice brought in to end lightning strikes?
The players are striking for the other unpaid members of staff. Some of whom can’t get buy without their wages.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:50 am

Out of interest what on earth is in it for this clown Bassini ? I mean why would anyone think it a good idea to buy Bolton Wanderers and, specifically, what motivation does he have for even pretending to be interested ?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 am

Anderson has said Bassini has until Monday to provide proof of funds or he will explore other options.

HMRC must think they've got a real chance to get Bolton back into court.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:00 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Good point above about illegal action. I’m out of touch now but wasn’t 7 days notice brought in to end lightning strikes?
The players are striking for the other unpaid members of staff. Some of whom can’t get buy without their wages.
Of course on the flip of that is the fact that Ken Anderson is the legal owner of the club and issued a public statement via the club that he would not be paying wages

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1630 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:15 pm

Nixon now saying 2 more interested parties in waiting

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:19 pm

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:Nixon now saying 2 more interested parties in waiting
they will only come in if Anderson boxes an administration - whch he was going to do the day Bassini agreed the deal (thereby stopping it)

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Today was(is?) supposed to be (according to Anderson) the last day for Bassini to show his money.

No news on that but now there's talk of the Brentford match being played after the season ends.

A statement from the EFL confirmed there is an option to play up to and including May 9.

“Discussions have continued with Bolton Wanderers, Brentford and other relevant parties throughout the course of the past 48 hours in regards to the rescheduling of last weekend’s Sky Bet Championship fixture,” it read.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ason-ends/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm

It's a very, very strange thing to say, but I find I believe far more of what Anderson says than that clown Bassini. (But ultimately that's not really saying a lot because it strikes me they are something of perfect match!!)

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Bassini due to meet with EFL tonight.

"It is understood former Watford owner Bassini will meet with EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey at 7pm to present proof of funds and an amended business plan he feels is adequate to assume control of Anderson’s 94.5 per cent stake in Wanderers’ parent company, Burnden Leisure Limited."

Anderson says that if nothing concrete comes from tonight's meeting then it's over for Bassini.

I don't know whether there really are other interested parties but presuming there are they would need to go through the whole "scrutineering" process of the EFL. In other words, no deal with Bassini could mean no change in Bolton's chronic condition for some time; well, that's my reading of it.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -deadline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Terminate their contracts? Those players are now entitled to give notice and walk because Bolton, one of them already has. The club lost their rights when they were in breach of the contracts by not paying them.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:It's a very, very strange thing to say, but I find I believe far more of what Anderson says than that clown Bassini. (But ultimately that's not really saying a lot because it strikes me they are something of perfect match!!)
Very strange, I'm not sure I would believe a single word that comes out of the mouth of either.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:14 pm

Having seen Bassini on TV and listened to his bizarre ramblings I would be mortified if I was a Bolton fan . Ive been critical of our Board but my God we're lucky...

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Terminate their contracts? Those players are now entitled to give notice and walk because Bolton, one of them already has. The club lost their rights when they were in breach of the contracts by not paying them.
Do you know that or are you just talking from a "stands to reason" point of view?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Simon Jordan was on talkcrap yesterday and he said that he had had a look into buying the club but after seeing the figures decided against it, he thinks they are in a complete mess this time

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Their game against Brentford this week is off.

They have Forest satday.

Said on the radio this morning they have 4 days from the end of the season to fulfill any outstanding fixtures.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:27 pm

thatdberight wrote:Do you know that or are you just talking from a "stands to reason" point of view?
Already been reported by the Bolton News that Pawel Olkoswki has handed in his notice. I posted it on this thread a few days ago.