REPORT: Spurs Special at the Turf

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32372 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

REPORT: Spurs Special at the Turf

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Burnley v Spurs report

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/spurs-special-at-the-turf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 5 users liked this post: BFCmaj chorleyhere levraiclaret Paulclaret simonclaret

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Re: REPORT: Spurs Special at the Turf

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Very fair and excellent report. One thing I would add ( based on commentary on NBCSN in US ) was that the Rose throw in could only reach Kane because it was taken 8 yds further up field than it should have been. No question at all it should have been retaken. Re the corner, the consensus was goal kick.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:00 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Very fair and excellent report. One thing I would add ( based on commentary on NBCSN in US ) was that the Rose throw in could only reach Kane because it was taken 8 yds further up field than it should have been. No question at all it should have been retaken. Re the corner, the consensus was goal kick.
It was therefore a foul throw and it shouldn't have been retaken, but should have been handed to Burnley ..the throw to be taken at the half way line

turfytopper

Post by turfytopper » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 pm

In truth it was poorly managed by the officials ... The 4th official shouldn't be playing 'ball boy' and the lino and ref should have managed the player to get the throw in from much nearer to the half way line....having failed to manage that they should have stopped play ...see above
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

winsomeyen
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by winsomeyen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:26 pm

Brilliant report as usual Tony.. Now on to Newcastle UTC

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Great report, Dean not Deane!

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Best Premier League performance? Close, but no cigar.

For me, Chelski away last season was the best, United (and Robbie Blake) second, with Citeh (via Georgie Boyd) third. Everton away (just for the Hendrick goal) was pretty special.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:59 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Best Premier League performance? Close, but no cigar.

For me, Chelski away last season was the best, United (and Robbie Blake) second, with Citeh (via Georgie Boyd) third. Everton away (just for the Hendrick goal) was pretty special.
In terms of performance it was way ahead of the two Manchester wins. Chelsea first half of course was magnificent.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:03 pm

turfytopper wrote:It was therefore a foul throw and it shouldn't have been retaken, but should have been handed to Burnley ..the throw to be taken at the half way line
Even so, we switched off and it has happened against City with the quick free kick. We do need to more aware at times of where the opposition players are.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1694 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Spijed wrote:Even so, we switched off and it has happened against City with the quick free kick. We do need to more aware at times of where the opposition players are.
I think had the throw been taken from the correct place there is no way it would have reached Kane. But you are right, we were caught flat footed.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:I think had the throw been taken from the correct place there is no way it would have reached Kane. But you are right, we were caught flat footed.
And the best thing about it is that it doesn’t matter because we still went on to win
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4831 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Excellent report Tony.

Yes the throw was taken from the wrong place but more importantly, it was a FOUL THROW! Danny Rose’s left foot was in the air when he threw the ball into play.
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:27 pm

Just think all the decisions - corner/goal kick and the throw in are all minor things. Don't detract from a good refereeing performance, our performance or the result.
This user liked this post: yosserhughes

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:54 pm

The corner whinge is a load of b0llocks anyway.

There's only one angle where it doesn't look like it is not a corner.

It looked a corner all day long from all other angles, and more importantly, the refs angle.

The whinge should be, who was marking Wood.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Excellent report, CT.
Regarding their throw-in: I've said on here before that we should take advantage of the no offside from throw ins. Send somebody deep, if he isn't marked throw him the ball; if he is everybody else can be onside from any immediate passes because of the deep marker.

turfytopper

Post by turfytopper » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:28 am

Spijed wrote:Even so, we switched off and it has happened against City with the quick free kick. We do need to more aware at times of where the opposition players are.
Yes...leaving aside poor refereeing (that happens), good players "come alive when the ball goes dead".

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:14 pm

As I am not feeling very well I watched the whole game again yesterday. Early in the first half we should have awarded two corners when goal kicks were given, so maybe some evening out occurred when we were awarded the corner for the goal.

I think it was goals on Sunday that pointed out Bardsley told Mee to go pick up Kane and was quickly followed by (I think) Hendrick who did the same. So two players saw the danger and tried to get that danger covered, unfortunately Mee chose not to react. I am not having a go at Ben as he had a great game.

I agree overall it was the best performance I have seen in the Premier League against a top team.

cricketfield73
Been Liked: 424 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by cricketfield73 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:49 pm

To me that was 100% as enjoyable a Premier League Clarets win as I've ever seen but I think it's also got to be in with a really good shout as the best for the reasons that we matched Spurs all over the field but bettered them with the key moments of superb midfield skill particularly in the build ups to our goals.
A friend rang me on Saturday evening, incidentally a Bristol City fan who had watched it on TV, and he summed it up for me when he said that with the brilliant individual performances all over the park and the sheer quality of our play, anyone watching from afar and not knowing who was who wouldn't be able to tell which team it was in with a shout for the title.
An interesting view from a neutral (well, a lot more neutral than I am) which hit the nail on the head as to why I'd been considering it to be at least equal to, if not the best.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:22 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Excellent report Tony.

Yes the throw was taken from the wrong place but more importantly, it was a FOUL THROW! Danny Rose’s left foot was in the air when he threw the ball into play.
So apart from it being a foul throw, Pawson throwing the ball to Rose, and Rose taking the throw eight yards further forward than it should've been, there was literally nothing wrong with their goal.