McNeil is a centre midfielder

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

McNeil is a centre midfielder

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Not for me he isn't.

Perfect where he is. 8-)

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Re: McNeil is a centre midfielder

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Not for me he isn't.

Perfect where he is. 8-)
Absolutely, and watching the game back last night, was shocked to hear Jon Walters claim centre-mid was his real position. I remember his earliest games on the Turf a few seasons ago and they were all played wide left.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:28 pm

I was surprised to hear that on the commentary actually. Doing a good job in his current position.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Not surprised it’s been confirmed though. Said quite recently his future is probably eventually central. But given how well he’s doing on the left that will be quality for his education, and he’s our best option for the position.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Needs to do a bit more ball winning for CM but creativity wise he's good enough. Time is on his side. Still looks a little lightweight for me but that is fixable. We have a gem.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:51 pm

There’s not a single other Burnley player I’d want running onto a loose ball around the edge of the box. His left peg almost always finds the target!
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:55 pm

jdrobbo wrote:There’s not a single other Burnley player I’d want running into a loose ball around the edge of the box. His left peg almost always finds the target!
I agree John, however, he needs to gain a bit of confidence to havea go with his right foot because he found himself in decent positions twice yesterday but decided to pass instead of shoot with his right foot.
I have to admit that most games I saw him play for the youth team he played on the left side of centre in a midfiled four and I said that he was a good prospect ----I never thought that he would be given his chance so soon ---great to see.
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Still looks a little lightweight for me but that is fixable
Haffners? ;)

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:27 pm

jdrobbo wrote:There’s not a single other Burnley player I’d want running onto a loose ball around the edge of the box. His left peg almost always finds the target!
To be fair, there's a bit more to being a centre midfielder for Burnley at this level.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 am

He's an attacking player, in our system he would be completely wasted in central midfield. That's not to say that in time he might not transition into that position but more likely in a midfield 3.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:33 am

Every transfer window since Sean Dyche arrived, we have been saying we want to sign a tricky winger with a good cross. And now we have found one, what do we want to do with him ... :?

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:28 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:To be fair, there's a bit more to being a centre midfielder for Burnley at this level.
I didn’t say there wasn’t :-)

ayrshireclaret83
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ayrshireclaret83 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:37 am

Is he really a centre midfielder or are sky mixing him up with Aidan O’Neil again?

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:13 am

ayrshireclaret83 wrote:Is he really a centre midfielder or are sky mixing him up with Aidan O’Neil again?
It's Jon Walters who said he was a centre mid.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:36 am

I didn’t think they were saying that he was historically a CM more that that’s where they could see him playing as he develops more

MonkeyThief
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by MonkeyThief » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:10 am

He’s a winger... can play centre mid and has done for youths/u23s, but his best and favoured position is on the wing. You don’t get the same space in the middle as out wide, bit more freedom out there. Also allows him to come inside and affect the game, like build up to first goal. So we leave him where he is, playing his natural game as a winger. JBG, Brady and Hendrick (whose been fantastic there BTW), can fight it out for place on the other wing.

England are short of decent naturaly left sided players. So Also give him the best chance of getting some international recognition. Especially if keeps developing like he has.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:31 am

It was Jon Walters who said he was naturally a central midfielder, and he said it in a way which suggested it's not really a debate within the club.

He's doing an outstanding job for us out wide, but I reckon he'll end up playing more centrally. As I understand it, he's played both out left and centrally as he's come up through the age groups, but I think he'll increasingly settle in the centre. His crossing will always mean that the option of playing him out wide is attractive, but as we saw on Saturday before the first goal he's got the ability to find space and a pass in the most congested areas of the field.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3868 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 am

He can certainly pick a pass from the midfield area but for me he hasn't the defensive game or stamina yet.

I prefer him to get us off to a good start dragging us down the left and whipping early balls in.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18273 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:40 am

MonkeyThief wrote:He’s a winger... can play centre mid and has done for youths/u23s, but his best and favoured position is on the wing. You don’t get the same space in the middle as out wide, bit more freedom out there. Also allows him to come inside and affect the game, like build up to first goal. So we leave him where he is, playing his natural game as a winger. JBG, Brady and Hendrick (whose been fantastic there BTW), can fight it out for place on the other wing.

England are short of decent naturaly left sided players. So Also give him the best chance of getting some international recognition. Especially if keeps developing like he has.
He has stated his favourite ever player is/was Ryan Giggs and is modelling himself on him....

Could have a worse role model (on the pitch at least)

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:48 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:He can certainly pick a pass from the midfield area but for me he hasn't the defensive game or stamina yet.

I prefer him to get us off to a good start dragging us down the left and whipping early balls in.
Funnily enough, I think he's more comfortable defensively in the centre. He's perfectly decent at holding his position and pressing opponents - you can tell he's been drilled in that from a young age. Where he looks vulnerable is when it comes to tracking an opponent down the line - he naturally seems to get sucked inside and his slightly powderpuff tackling can be exposed 1 v 1 (although I've noticed his technique in this area appears to have improved hugely in even the two months or so he's been in the team, so he clearly doesn't lack diligence).

His big contribution on Saturday came when he was basically in a central midfield position, and so did his big contribution at Brighton. For the time being, his crossing ability means it suits us to use him on the wing, but especially in games when we're on the back foot, I think he'll sometimes get a bit lost out on the flank because he doesn't have the out and out pace to lead a counter-attack and get into a crossing position.

But it's a great debate to be having - he's a huge talent wherever he ends up playing.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1750 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 am

Whatever he is, he’s probably the brightest prospect we’ve had in the last 30 years, arguably with the exception of Rodriguez.

It’s a surprise that he hasn’t been linked with a move away yet. Im sure the rumours are imminent.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 am

claretspice wrote:Funnily enough, I think he's more comfortable defensively in the centre. He's perfectly decent at holding his position and pressing opponents - you can tell he's been drilled in that from a young age. Where he looks vulnerable is when it comes to tracking an opponent down the line - he naturally seems to get sucked inside and his slightly powderpuff tackling can be exposed 1 v 1 (although I've noticed his technique in this area appears to have improved hugely in even the two months or so he's been in the team, so he clearly doesn't lack diligence).

His big contribution on Saturday came when he was basically in a central midfield position, and so did his big contribution at Brighton. For the time being, his crossing ability means it suits us to use him on the wing, but especially in games when we're on the back foot, I think he'll sometimes get a bit lost out on the flank because he doesn't have the out and out pace to lead a counter-attack and get into a crossing position.

But it's a great debate to be having - he's a huge talent wherever he ends up playing.
On the defensive issue I was more thinking how easy full backs have turned and knocked it past him in dangerous positions for themselves. Antonio seemed to do it a few times.

I'm not seeing a pace issue although he looks better running with the ball. I was thinking we need Wood or Barnes to gamble early on every cross as he gets them in so early. One flashed right across the box on Saturday with nobody near it.

Fantastic talent and hopefully will become Burnley's greatest player of modern time.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 am

I can see where they are coming from but in our team set up and for now he is best where he is and rightly starts.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Fantastic talent and hopefully will become Burnley's greatest player of modern time.
If we're hoping then let's hope he becomes our greatest player of ALL time.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am

Quickenthetempo wrote: I was thinking we need Wood or Barnes to gamble early on every cross as he gets them in so early. One flashed right across the box on Saturday with nobody near it.
I remember that one. Wood could see the number five on the Spurs player's back but then ran towards the front post! If he had slipped behind him it would have been a tap in. I like Wood but he is no Andy Payton/Ingsy.

McNeil put another amazing cross in when near the corner flag, the swirling loopy one that dropped right under the cross bar when Wood barged into Lloris. Wood should have stood off a bit as Lloris was never going to catch rather than try and head it.

Hopefully they will begin to read him a bit better or find a forward that can.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:52 am

One thing this thread has raised is we certainly don’t use chalk on heels wingers.
Dwight was central leading to our first goal and JBG was for our second. Over the last couple of years JBG & Brady have popped up in there to our advantage, Bradys goal at Bournemouth being a perfect example.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretLoup RingoMcCartney

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 am

Goobs wrote:If we're hoping then let's hope he becomes our greatest player of ALL time.
You will never win that argument though, so I only go off players I have seen.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:32 am

I thought I'd posted on this thread last night but the same topic was being discussed on the Walters thread which is where I posted it, so I'll repeat below my thoughts on McNeil and his best position.

Always played on the left wing in the youth team but last season Michael Duff tended to play him in an advanced midfield role similar to how Hendrick played in the first team. Jon Walters will have played alongside him when he’s been playing in that position.

Earlier this season Steve Stone used him as a holding midfield player and he was the best player on the pitch. We sat there watching him that night and agreed that he needed to be moved up permanently to the first team squad.

Those who have worked with him and played alongside him will know which is his best position but what I know is that he’s a very good footballer in the making.

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 am

If it ain't broke, don't break it

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:37 am

It's good that they have played him in different roles to learn more about the game.

With McNeil and JBG we have two players comfortable all across the pitch and want the ball as much as possible. It's great to see.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3082 times
Has Liked: 5059 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 am

I know this is picky, because I think he's a great player, but he was very slow reaction time on Saturday.
He's very quick when he has the ball, but on more than one occasion there were balls that broke loose from a challenge and the Spurs player was on it on the B of Bang, Dwight was after it on the G. Small points that make the difference in centre mid. I'd prefer to see him stay out wide. He would also need to fill out a bit for the rigours of centre mid.

Still a cracking player

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Greeny » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 pm

All good teams have a natural balance. Sean has finally found that with McNeil (and Heaton taking control at the back) A left footer, playing on the left and getting good early crosses in (amongst his other attributes to the team). He has been a massive factor in our upturn in form. Long may it continue. Hopefully we don't see Lennon getting back in again when fit as when he moved to the left hand side, we might as well have put a traffic cone in his place.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I know this is picky, because I think he's a great player, but he was very slow reaction time on Saturday.
He's very quick when he has the ball, but on more than one occasion there were balls that broke loose from a challenge and the Spurs player was on it on the B of Bang, Dwight was after it on the G. Small points that make the difference in centre mid. I'd prefer to see him stay out wide. He would also need to fill out a bit for the rigours of centre mid.

Still a cracking player
Who would of thought Spurs had a lot faster athletes than Burnley?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:19 pm

don't think i've ever been so excited by a young player getting his chance with us as I am with McNeil

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3082 times
Has Liked: 5059 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Who would of thought Spurs had a lot faster athletes than Burnley?
I'm not on about his speed, just his speed of reaction, there's a difference. Yes, they would be faster, but it's something he needs to work on. Quick reactions are important in many positions, but I think they are more essential in centre mid, than out on the wing.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I know this is picky, because I think he's a great player, but he was very slow reaction time on Saturday.

Still a cracking player
Often that reaction time is down to just where your body's momentum is taking you at the particular instant. If you, for example, need to go to the left you need to already have mass able to be vectored that way or have your right foot ready to plant in order for your leg muscles to adjust your direction of movement.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I'm not on about his speed, just his speed of reaction, there's a difference. Yes, they would be faster, but it's something he needs to work on. Quick reactions are important in many positions, but I think they are more essential in centre mid, than out on the wing.
He needs to just carry on what he has been doing, and I'm sure Dyche will be telling him that.

I said on another thread that he plays like he's in slow motion, it's just the way he is, don't want that changing.

He's 19 years old, plenty of time to get the ugly stuff right.