ARTICLE: Sensational Turf Moor news – Jimmy Mac is transfer listed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

ARTICLE: Sensational Turf Moor news – Jimmy Mac is transfer listed

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm

26th Feb - the day in 1963 when the whole town was stunned with the news coming out of Turf Moor

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/sensational ... fer-listed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Re: ARTICLE: Sensational Turf Moor news – Jimmy Mac is transfer listed

Post by CleggHall » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Yes it sent shockwaves as far as Heywood Grammar School!

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:39 pm

I was at Rosehill Jr School and went to the phone box and called 7777 and left a message for Mr Potts to say that I thought he was making a big mistake!

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:44 pm

I wonder will the story of reasons for that decision ever come out.

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:54 pm

My old man was gutted he said ' the lights are going out ' bit dramatic but but it was a huge blow.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:57 pm

I remember the day well. I was walking back from the Grammar School to my home in Rosegrove, when I saw the headlines outside the local paper shop, which said something like 'McIlroy shock'. I thought he must be injured or something: when I got home my dad was reading the local evening paper, shaking his head in disbelief. I could not believe that my hero, one of the greatest players in the world, was going to leave Burnley FC. I don't think I ever really got over it: certainly,watching a Burnley team without McIlroy in it for the following months just didn't seem right. Having said that, I look back with very happy memories of the joy he gave to me when he did grace the pitch at a Turf Moor.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:09 pm

thatdberight wrote:I wonder will the story of reasons for that decision ever come out.
Very unlikely. Not many will know the real reason other than Bob Lord. Was once told that his daughter Barbara knew but she wouldn’t say anything until everyone involved had died. She sadly passed away herself a few years ago.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Lord never gave any reason for his action so , inevitably , the town believed that one of of its favourite adopted sons had been treated very shabbily ….he ( Lord ) did some very strange things at times like banning the Burnley Express from the press box .I remember hearing about it at work in my first job after leaving school ( I was just 18 ) and thinking it must be a hoax.I rang my dad ( he worked at the Burnley Express ) and he told me it was true .My dad was 45 at the time and , like many others , he never went on the Turf again...he lived 'til he was 95....but later recruited the great man for the Express.

winsomeyen
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 405 times

Post by winsomeyen » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Many supporters vowed never to set foot on the Turf again and most of them didnt.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Very unlikely. Not many will know the real reason other than Bob Lord. Was once told that his daughter Barbara knew but she wouldn’t say anything until everyone involved had died. She sadly passed away herself a few years ago.
I've been told one version, from a person close to one of those involved, but, it being unsubstantiated, I wouldn't repeat it.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Did he refuse to be substituted?

Did he sleep with Moyes' daughter?

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:23 pm

thatdberight wrote:I've been told one version, from a person close to one of those involved, but, it being unsubstantiated, I wouldn't repeat it.
My dad was a good friend to one of the BBB group and I bet it's the same version.

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Like it was yesterday! I was doing my usual morning paper round, after delivering to the first address I took out the next paper and looked at the headlines.... I just couldn't believe that my footballing hero Jimmy Mac would not be wearing claret and blue any more.
I was so sad/angry/in a turmoil, got so many papers delivered wrongly, I HATED Bob Lord that morning.
I still continue being a season ticket holder, Longside and now Bob Lord, from that day until this, but, I NEVER forgot that paper headline.

Malvern claret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Malvern claret » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:58 pm

As I wrote on an earlier thread on a different topic I was at BGS at the time. Somebody who had been home for lunch told us the news but we did not believe him until the biology teacher ‘Bill’ Slater came in and confirmed it. He was a good bloke who had his priorities sorted!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm

I had never seen him play. I cried.

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:05 pm

In June 1962, Sampdoria bid £30000 for Jimmy Mac. This was quickly rebuffed by Bob Lord who replied
“If you are interested in buying player James McIlroy, please be courageous and businesslike enough to make a serious offer, to which my Directors and myself would hive the necessary consideration.
I have to remind you very respectfully that any offer which you have made to date has been just ludicrous, and any further offer which you care to make will have to be in relation to the present market value of the player.”

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:33 pm

A story I heard, from the man himself on Sky Time of Our Lives, was that a man at the time, Cook, I believe was interested in becoming a director which Lord wouldn't allow. However Jimmy was friends with Cook's son and would travel home from games with him instead of with the team on the official coach and Lord didn't like that and so transfer listed him when he found out. However if this is indeed was the true events then i am sure it would be more widely known and accepted as it has been talked about in public in the past.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Post 7... TS is correct. I doubt it will ever be made public. It coincided with his loss of 'form', his friendship with the Cooks, Burnley needing money after a long bad winter and postponed games, other younger players wanting a similar pay cheque, and on his own admission some of them a little tired of his star status... but the real reason I doubt will ever come out into the open.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1274 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 pm

claretburns wrote:A story I heard, from the man himself on Sky Time of Our Lives, was that a man at the time, Cook, I believe was interested in becoming a director which Lord wouldn't allow. However Jimmy was friends with Cook's son and would travel home from games with him instead of with the team on the official coach and Lord didn't like that and so transfer listed him when he found out. However if this is indeed was the true events then i am sure it would be more widely known and accepted as it has been talked about in public in the past.
At the time of our League Championship in 1960 Reg Cook was Vice-Chairman to Chairman Bob Lord.

John Cook was his son and a close friend of Jimmy Mac at the time and did indeed travel home from some away games with John instead of using the team coach.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:48 pm

I too have been told a reason, that sounds possible, but for legal ( and decency) reasons wouldn't put it on here, or anywhere else for that matter, but whatever happened, I am sure the Bob Lord wouldn't have done it if he didn't believe it was in the best interest of BFC. Maybe best to move on.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:17 pm

yorkyclaret wrote:whatever happened, I am sure the Bob Lord wouldn't have done it if he didn't believe it was in the best interest of BFC
He did a lot of things that weren't in the best interests of BFC but were in the best interests of Bob Lord. This one was very much a personal one but I'll never believe it had anything to do with his friendship with John Cook, a friendship that remained right through, it was John who came to the Clarets Mad dinners with him.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm

Malvern claret wrote:As I wrote on an earlier thread on a different topic I was at BGS at the time. Somebody who had been home for lunch told us the news but we did not believe him until the biology teacher ‘Bill’ Slater came in and confirmed it. He was a good bloke who had his priorities sorted!
Peardrop

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Was at Uni in Newcastle at the time and like many others wrote a letter to the Express about it. Was gutted but went to watch the great man that season. Although Stoke lost 5-2 I think Mac scored a great goal for them and of course he was back at the Turf 63-64 season as Stoke won league two in 1963

CleggHall

Post by CleggHall » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:29 pm

mdd2 - Kings College in those days, you are even older than me!

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:36 pm

I didn't say N/C Uni but Uni in N/C. Yes the original Armstrong College (set up by George Armstrong) merged with the School of Medicine in the 1930's to form Kings College Durham until 1963 when it came N/C Uni. I think Kings College was bigger than all the Colleges in Durham City.
I always thought I was younger than you until Norman Clegg passed on as I assumed you were he!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CleggHall

Post by CleggHall » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:59 pm

mdd2 - these Jimmy Mac threads always bring out the old boys, long may it continue!

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Only the likes of us oldies know what a maestro he was, awful pitches, heavy ball, often brutes as defenders with little protection but the game was slower. But so often when he had the ball the game almost stopped whilst he decided what he would do with the ball.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 pm

I joined a protest meeting that took place outside Barnoldswick Town Hall when the news first became public. I remember seeing a photo pf my 'back view' in the local press (front page too!) showing the substantial sized crowd listening to someone speaking out about the news as though it was a disaster. I was only a mere lad at the time but I put the reasons down to Burnley's player sales policy of needing to sell to survive. Even at my young age I was expecting he would be sold at some time while he still had a 'sale value.'