The Lead Up to Goals Conceded

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

The Lead Up to Goals Conceded

Post by JTClaret » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 am

Time and time again we seem to concede when something has gone against us in the build up.

The foul on Cork last night, but I wouldn't say it set the goal up.
The throw-in on Saturday, which I'm sick of hearing about. A throw-in around the half way line which isn't right but we concede from it? Really?
There's been a few over the last couple of years, I always remember the referee getting in the way with the defensive play in which we conceded... but when you watch it back now, again it was on the half way line and there was still time to do something about it, however for some reason we seem to switch off. Hopefully this is something the team will continue to work on, though I wouldn't have the first clue as to how. It feels the same as when we concede a last minute goal - often controversial - instead of continuing to see the game out until the 110th minute, just in case ha

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Re: The Lead Up to Goals Conceded

Post by kaptin1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:19 pm

First goal last night was a worldly, albeit you could argue he should have been closed down quicker. Second goal Cork and McNeill were slow to track back which left Longstaff free in the area to take the shot.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Maybe it is down to the rigid framework - players having to be in certain places during certain phases of play. Which causes problems when something happens out of the ordinary and our players are “frameworked” out of position.

I think McNeil relies/trusts heavily those behind him to clean up so never gets 100% involved in defending as he is there for our attacking side of the game more than tracking back.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:46 pm

McNeil is plain lazy. He trounces around making Berbatovs workrate look like Boyds. On the other wing JBG worked his socks off. Wether Dyche allowed him more freedom I don’t know. But if you offer nowt going forward then put the work in, in getting back.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Fao Dyched
McNeil is a class act and has been mom.Last night a combination of poor position in midfield and Cork having an offday along with Westwood ill caused us major problems.
Crouchy at half time would have been a better choice but we are still 6 points off bottom 3 with a better goal average.We have a fit Robbie Brady and JBG back so all is good

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Hopefully Brady is up to speed to start vs Palace and McNeil gets a well earnt and much needed rest.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 pm

McNeil has offered far more in his 12 appearances than Brady has in his last 12 appearances.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Dyched wrote:McNeil is plain lazy. He trounces around making Berbatovs workrate look like Boyds. On the other wing JBG worked his socks off. Wether Dyche allowed him more freedom I don’t know. But if you offer nowt going forward then put the work in, in getting back.
McNeil was just marked out of the game yesterday with 2 or 3 players targeting him each time he had the ball. Same thing we did with Son at the weekend against Spurs - does that make Son lazy or just unable to make an impact in one game.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Before the Rose throw-in / Kane goal on Saturday, i had no idea you couldn't be offside from a throw-in!

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Dyched wrote:McNeil is plain lazy. He trounces around making Berbatovs workrate look like Boyds. On the other wing JBG worked his socks off. Wether Dyche allowed him more freedom I don’t know. But if you offer nowt going forward then put the work in, in getting back.
Don't know if you have season ticket but if you do don't renew it you know nowt
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:Before the Rose throw-in / Kane goal on Saturday, i had no idea you couldn't be offside from a throw-in!
Must admit I assumed that they had got rid of it when they changed the rules for the other dead ball situations.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:51 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Fao Dyched
McNeil is a class act and has been mom.Last night a combination of poor position in midfield and Cork having an offday along with Westwood ill caused us major problems.
Crouchy at half time would have been a better choice but we are still 6 points off bottom 3 with a better goal average.We have a fit Robbie Brady and JBG back so all is good
Crouch?

he looked absolutely terrible. I'm not sure that launching high balls from virtually anywhere suits his game at all.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:33 pm

I was far from convinced Cork was fouled in the lead up to the second. I've only seen it once, live at the game, but Cork dallies and is tackled and that leaves us wide open.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 pm

Turftalkers mentor wrote:Don't know if you have season ticket but if you do don't renew it you know nowt
Please explain what he offered last night. Apart from fannying about that is.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:Before the Rose throw-in / Kane goal on Saturday, i had no idea you couldn't be offside from a throw-in!
Fair enough, but did it never occur to you why teams find it difficult to defend against the "long throw"?. It's a much better weapon in some respects than a free-kick in the same position for this very reason.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 am

Blackrod wrote:McNeil has offered far more in his 12 appearances than Brady has in his last 12 appearances.
McNeill has offered more in his 12 appearances than Brady since his arrival ;)

1914tyrone
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by 1914tyrone » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:Fao Dyched
He is either lazy or has a lack of concentration. Watch him closely off the ball, I think it is a combination of both. Yes a fantastic prospect and no doubt very talented going forward, Sean will make sure he learns quickly, sometimes the hard way like Tuesday night.
UTC

Stproc
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:54 am

How you can class somebody as lazy when they are often visibly shattered at the end of a game is beyond me. I watch McNeil closely and he is an attacker first but often seen helping out Charlie when we don’t have the ball.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:36 am

Re McNeil: He's a young lad just breaking through and some games it just won't happen for him. On Tuesday virtually everyone else around him was way below par, so he was bound to struggle.
On a wider issue: He's very direct, likes to go forward, likes to go at players, trick his way past them and get crosses in. Some might say a "flair" player. The last player we had even remotely like that was Stanislas and SD got rid of him. Why? Because he didn't do enough defensively or hold to our rigid framework, didn't basically double up as another full back and in SD's opinion was a luxury we couldn't afford. I'm not criticising SD as he knows what he wants and what it takes for a club like ours to eek out enough points to maintain our place in the PL, but I can't help wondering if in a couple of years McNeil will either be the new Lennon or Boyd or Arfield as SD makes it clear that his first duty is to keep possession or defend (which would be something of a shame) or he'll be like Stan and having a rather good career somewhere else (even bigger shame).

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:44 am

Back to the original point - I think there’s a degree of panic when something happens and we find ourselves out of position. We Look in control when we have our framework in place but when that breaks up, we’re relying on a last ditch tackle or more magic from Tom

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:51 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:Back to the original point - I think there’s a degree of panic when something happens and we find ourselves out of position. We Look in control when we have our framework in place but when that breaks up, we’re relying on a last ditch tackle or more magic from Tom
TBF, that's exactly what happened on Tuesday for the second goal. Cork lost possession rather unexpectedly and our "framework" was all over the place. And similar has happened against Olympiakos at home. I'm not saying it's always Cork btw, but when we suddenly lose posession when we aren't expecting it we can be hit very quickly when we aren't "set".

JTClaret

Post by JTClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:27 pm

How is McNeil coming in for criticism after one game in which he doesn't play well, which we all knew would happen at some point anyway :o

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm

That sums up some posters on here up, (not you TOTW), they wax lyrical about the game and don't even know the rules.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:12 pm

JTClaret wrote:Time and time again we seem to concede when something has gone against us in the build up.

The foul on Cork last night, but I wouldn't say it set the goal up.
The throw-in on Saturday, which I'm sick of hearing about. A throw-in around the half way line which isn't right but we concede from it? Really?
There's been a few over the last couple of years, I always remember the referee getting in the way with the defensive play in which we conceded... but when you watch it back now, again it was on the half way line and there was still time to do something about it, however for some reason we seem to switch off. Hopefully this is something the team will continue to work on, though I wouldn't have the first clue as to how. It feels the same as when we concede a last minute goal - often controversial - instead of continuing to see the game out until the 110th minute, just in case ha
I think you'll find that everything goes against Burnley ALL the time. so there's nothing out of the ordinary in any of those build ups.
If you were a real Burnley fan you'd realise this.

JTClaret

Post by JTClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Claret wrote:I think you'll find that everything goes against Burnley ALL the time. so there's nothing out of the ordinary in any of those build ups.
If you were a real Burnley fan you'd realise this.
:lol: :lol: Of course, how could I forget?
I'm also aware of the fact that we always have a full season - none of this 'safe by Easter with nothing to play for' nonsense. So history tells us that of the 2 wins we need, we won't get the second till at least the penultimate game of the season haha

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 pm

JTClaret wrote:How is McNeil coming in for criticism after one game in which he doesn't play well, which we all knew would happen at some point anyway :o
Bonkers ain't it let's rip into the lad and ruin his confidence,he had a bad game it happens.

Seems to be no middle ground on this board,either we're playing like a CL team or we're relegation fodder.

It was only a few days ago posters where touting McNeil in the 60-70 million bracket,now after one poorish performance he's become the new whipping boy,at the start of the season it was Hart,then Mee,then C Taylor,now everyone wants to tear into a kid who's learning his trade in arguably the toughest league in world football. :roll: