The Chagos Archipelago in the Indian Ocean .

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

The Chagos Archipelago in the Indian Ocean .

Post by davemanu2000 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:00 pm

i wonder if you would like more to learn about the Chagos Archipelago from 1965 to this date .

In1965 UK decided to detach the Chagos archipelago from Mauritius .After one year both Uk and USA decided to create a military base which would last for 50 years . mauritius attained independence in 1968 . The islanders living in the archipelago were forcefully asked to leave . They were deported either to Mauritius or Seychelles .

The British Indian ocean Territory was enacted and thus nobody was allowed to enter the peninsula again .mauritius brought the case to British High Court where it was stipulated that nobody had the right to detach a population from their original land they occupied .However a Queen's Decree quashed the decision .

The Mauritian government did not sit quiet and brought the matter to several courts and last to the United Nations Organisation for its views .many countries took part in the debate and 94 countries voted in favour of Mauritius . However the UNO asked that the International Court of justice be asked to express its views .

This week International Court of Justice pronounced in favour of Mauritius and asked UK to leave the sooner the possible .i wonder if the base will be dismantled as further negotiations are possible between UK and Mauritius and the road map to follow .

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: The Chagos Archipelago in the Indian Ocean .

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:25 pm

We should hand it over and the yanks should leave too.

However the Yanks won't want to give up Diego Garcia, their military base incase those nasty Russians/commies try to take over the world again.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:31 pm

It's been in the newspapers over here Dave; I don't think you'll find anyone arguing against the decision.

Then again......some on here will argue that black is white just to seek attention. If they do, or rather when they do, just ignore them.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:35 pm

We should send our new aircraft carriers over to Mauritius to show them that we mean business.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

DocFoster
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by DocFoster » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:46 pm

The UK Foreign Office said: "This is an advisory opinion, not a judgement."
It added it would look "carefully" at the detail of the opinion, which is not legally binding.

I very much doubt the Americans will give up such a strategically important base and I'm almost certain the Brits won't be asking them to leave.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Only US base in the Indian Ocean, and one of the best natural harbours.

Interesting that its only an advisory opinion though. :-)

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1989 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Imperialist Britain has many sins to answer for, Dave. I hope The Chagos Archipelago is returned to a complete Mauritius but if the yanks are involved I wonkt be holding my breath for you.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Definitely a bit of colonialism that's not supported by geography; I mean The Maldives, India and Sri Lanka are all closer to Diego Garcia than Mauritius.

I am cynical about some of these. Mauritius (uninhabited until discovered by Europeans) wants Diego Garcia back (uninhabited until discovered by Europeans). I don't doubt it's anachronistic but I don't think other countries such as Mauritius act out of anything other than the same self-interest that Portugal, The Netherlands, France and Britain acted from.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Presumably the US will just rent the Island/air base from the new Landlord or is there an undertaking that the US will be asked to leave and the Islamd returned to civilian use. Third option would be to rent it to the Chinese

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:39 pm

Chinese don't need it, they already have one on Sri Lanka and one in Djibouti (Not sure about the last one to be honest, but they defo have one on the african coast)

Interesting how they got those bases as well, basically lending a lot of money and not wanting it back as long as they could lease bases.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 pm

If global warming continues unabated, and like Mauritius, the Chagos islands are vulnerable, both from sea level rise and damage to the corals.

If we can hang on a few years there may be little left to talk about!

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:50 pm

thatdberight wrote:Definitely a bit of colonialism that's not supported by geography; I mean The Maldives, India and Sri Lanka are all closer to Diego Garcia than Mauritius.
It’s a damn site nearer to Mauritius than the Falklands are to Britain.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:31 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:It’s a damn site nearer to Mauritius than the Falklands are to Britain.
So, Mauritius should have the Falklands (another previously uninhabited place where the inhabitants of a nearby country, made up overwhelmingly of descendents of European immigrants/conquerors are unable to see the irony in demanding them 'back' purely on the basis they're only 300 miles away - a logic by which we should see the Union flag over Nantes, Galway and Dortmund tomorrow night)?

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1400 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:25 am

davemanu2000 wrote:...The British Indian ocean Territory was enacted and thus nobody was allowed to enter the peninsula again...
You need to apply in advance for the necessary permit but you can one easily enough and then visit by sailboat.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:24 am

thatdberight wrote:So, Mauritius should have the Falklands (another previously uninhabited place where the inhabitants of a nearby country, made up overwhelmingly of descendents of European immigrants/conquerors are unable to see the irony in demanding them 'back' purely on the basis they're only 300 miles away - a logic by which we should see the Union flag over Nantes, Galway and Dortmund tomorrow night)?
I have no idea what Mauritius historical ties to Chagos are. My point was about geographical location.

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:29 am

I wish someone would forcibly remove me to the Seychelles.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:55 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:I have no idea what Mauritius historical ties to Chagos are. My point was about geographical location.
Britain made it part of Mauritius in 1903, i believe. Not as long as we've had the Falklands but longer than Russia gave the Crimea to Ukraine.

Nothing is as straightforward as it seems.....