Mike Garlick says we have £24m in bank

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Mike Garlick says we have £24m in bank

Post by Spijed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Claretforever wrote:What about marketing the club better? We are the only Premier League side in Lancashire now, arguments about Manchester and Liverpool aside. We can’t aggressively market other areas because we don’t have the capacity. You need a decent amount of spare seats to do it well in advance of games, and to be consistent, whilst also ensure that when new fans do attend they get decent seats.

New fans are then the guaranteed income of the future, in good times and in bad.

If we are happy sticking to what we know and do then the capacity is fine. If we have a longer term view then we need a couple of thousand more. Not 30,000 or anywhere near that, but another couple of thousand seats with better views than the corners of stands, restricted views behind stanchions, or pitch level for kids who then can’t see the action.
New fans don't exist. Look at Rovers.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm

Claretforever wrote:What about marketing the club better? We are the only Premier League side in Lancashire now, arguments about Manchester and Liverpool aside. We can’t aggressively market other areas because we don’t have the capacity. You need a decent amount of spare seats to do it well in advance of games, and to be consistent, whilst also ensure that when new fans do attend they get decent seats.

New fans are then the guaranteed income of the future, in good times and in bad.

If we are happy sticking to what we know and do then the capacity is fine. If we have a longer term view then we need a couple of thousand more. Not 30,000 or anywhere near that, but another couple of thousand seats with better views than the corners of stands, restricted views behind stanchions, or pitch level for kids who then can’t see the action.
Of course we should be expanding our fan base. But the truth is that at present, we don't sell out often, and when we do we generally speaking do so with a few days spare. Spurs game sold out on the Thursday before, I think. There's simply no shortage of opportunity to get tickets at Turf Moor.

If we get to the point when we're selling these games out well in advance of the game, then perhaps there will be a case for expanding the capacity. But we're just not in that place, and I'm not convinced its the case that any non-season ticket holder who comes to Burnley automatically ends up with a bad view - and in any event, as I say, there's plenty of "tidying up" of season ticket seats that could be done to crate more good seats that are readily available.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:50 pm

claretspice wrote:Of course we should be expanding our fan base. But the truth is that at present, we don't sell out often, and when we do we generally speaking do so with a few days spare. Spurs game sold out on the Thursday before, I think. There's simply no shortage of opportunity to get tickets at Turf Moor.

If we get to the point when we're selling these games out well in advance of the game, then perhaps there will be a case for expanding the capacity. But we're just not in that place, and I'm not convinced its the case that any non-season ticket holder who comes to Burnley automatically ends up with a bad view - and in any event, as I say, there's plenty of "tidying up" of season ticket seats that could be done to crate more good seats that are readily available.
We are talking about having more premium seats available, not on the front row or right in the corner.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:08 pm

AndyClaret wrote:We are talking about having more premium seats available, not on the front row or right in the corner.
Which is exactly the point that people do not get whenever this is discussed.
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:17 pm

If it wasn't so funny, seeing Blackburn rattling around in a 2/3 empty Ewood should be a bit of a warning. They used to bang on about expanding catchment areas, attracting new fans, being Lancashire's No.1 club.. same at Bolton. The second you go down, you're back to your regulars.

We'll never sell out in the Championship, we'll very occasionally sell out in the Prem but missing out on a couple of thousand extra ticket sales 4 times a season doesn't really justify spending £30m on a new stand. Especially if we've 'only' got £24m in the bank.
This user liked this post: Spijed

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:20 pm

NottsClaret wrote:If it wasn't so funny, seeing Blackburn rattling around in a 2/3 empty Ewood should be a bit of a warning. They used to bang on about expanding catchment areas, attracting new fans, being Lancashire's No.1 club.. same at Bolton. The second you go down, you're back to your regulars.

We'll never sell out in the Championship, we'll very occasionally sell out in the Prem but missing out on a couple of thousand extra ticket sales 4 times a season doesn't really justify spending £30m on a new stand. Especially if we've 'only' got £24m in the bank.
And for some weird reason fans think plastic seats look better than wooden ones. Really?

You wouldn't sit on plastic ones in your house yet wooden seats in a football stadium are considered being from the dark ages.
These 3 users liked this post: LeadBelly randomclaret2 Bosscat

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Spijed wrote:And for some weird reason fans think plastic seats look better than wooden ones. Really?

You wouldn't sit on plastic ones in your house yet wooden seats in a football stadium are considered being from the dark ages.
The plastic seats obsession is weird. Would you like a wide, comfortable wooden seat or a tiny bit of plastic with no legroom.

Only a football fan goes for the latter. Oddballs.
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly Bosscat

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:22 pm

NottsClaret wrote:If it wasn't so funny, seeing Blackburn rattling around in a 2/3 empty Ewood should be a bit of a warning. They used to bang on about expanding catchment areas, attracting new fans, being Lancashire's No.1 club.. same at Bolton. The second you go down, you're back to your regulars.

We have to plan ahead, the CFS won't last forever, if we can't do it whilst at the top when can we do it. The next stands are for the next 25 years.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:35 pm

Wokingclaret wrote: The next stands are for the next 25 years.
Not long before all 4 are out of date then and by that Math they will never pay for themselves
Last edited by Chester Perry on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:43 pm

AndyClaret wrote:We are talking about having more premium seats available, not on the front row or right in the corner.
I'm not sure that is the point the poster I was responding to was making. He was talking about seats with a decent view available for first time/casual walk up supporters. I don't think that's the same thing as premium seating.

I completely agree that there's a case for additional corporate capacity (although whilst I may be wrong, I thought the new South East corner had some corporate capacity) or possibly some more "premium" seating. But I'm not sure that translates to an increase in capacity of several thousands. It's more like hundreds of extra seats.

There's a different, but very valid, point about the lifespan of the existing stands and whether this is right time to renew them, but i'd have thoughtthat's a question driven by an expert's view of the lifespan of the current stands.

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Chester Perry wrote:Not long before all 4 are out of date then and by that Math they will never pay for themselves
Well obviously longer if looked after, mind you they don't give a guarantee on the build that long do they.

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:52 pm

"There's a different, but very valid, point about the lifespan of the existing stands and whether this is right time to renew them, but i'd have thoughtthat's a question driven by an expert's view of the lifespan of the current stands."

To be fair to the club, they did a fantastic job with the roof of the CFS a few years ago apart from the rusting girders
Noticed in the Bob Lord, the concrete is cracking between the steps, if that's not a problem then new cladding and roof tiles could add decades. :lol:

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:57 pm

thatdberight wrote:Why?
Because the word "none" is a shortened version of "not one" which is singular; therefore the correct grammar is "none of us knows".

summitclaret
Been Liked: 827 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:We have to plan ahead, the CFS won't last forever, if we can't do it whilst at the top when can we do it. The next stands are for the next 25 years.
We can't even plan to replace defour.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:"There's a different, but very valid, point about the lifespan of the existing stands and whether this is right time to renew them, but i'd have thoughtthat's a question driven by an expert's view of the lifespan of the current stands."

To be fair to the club, they did a fantastic job with the roof of the CFS a few years ago apart from the rusting girders
Noticed in the Bob Lord, the concrete is cracking between the steps, if that's not a problem then new cladding and roof tiles could add decades. :lol:
Its quite a while since I've been in either stand, so if they are in poor repair, then there's certainly an argument for setting some money aside for replacing them.

AndyClaret
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:06 pm

claretspice wrote:I'm not sure that is the point the poster I was responding to was making. He was talking about seats with a decent view available for first time/casual walk up supporters. I don't think that's the same thing as premium seating.

I completely agree that there's a case for additional corporate capacity (although whilst I may be wrong, I thought the new South East corner had some corporate capacity) or possibly some more "premium" seating. But I'm not sure that translates to an increase in capacity of several thousands. It's more like hundreds of extra seats.

There's a different, but very valid, point about the lifespan of the existing stands and whether this is right time to renew them, but i'd have thoughtthat's a question driven by an expert's view of the lifespan of the current stands.
If i were a casual/first time fan and my only choice was the first 2 rows or right in the corner, then i wouldn't bother.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:16 pm

claretspice wrote:Of course we should be expanding our fan base. But the truth is that at present, we don't sell out often, and when we do we generally speaking do so with a few days spare. Spurs game sold out on the Thursday before, I think. There's simply no shortage of opportunity to get tickets at Turf Moor.

Spurs may have sold out a few days before the match but I bought my tickets 4 weeks before and, if you wanted two seats together, you had options in the front four or five rows of the lower tier of the Jimmy Mac or James Hargreaves lower wings. I imagine that there wasn't much left with two or three weeks to go. If you're trying to pick up new fans you're more likely to get families or groups going rather than individuals happy to sit by themselves.

People say that we only sell out against the "big" teams but we're playing plenty of those at the moment.

Whether or not the reward would be there for the costs of increasing capacity is one thing to debate but it's difficult to not take the view, at the moment, extra capacity would be used.

Claret eze
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Claret eze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:40 pm

I wouldn't sit in the first few rows of any of our stands for free.decent seats or people stay at home,and watch a decent stream.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:46 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Because the word "none" is a shortened version of "not one" which is singular; therefore the correct grammar is "none of us knows".
That's not correct. "None" can take either the plural or singular.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:59 pm

In certain circumstances, but not as used in the post on which I commented :)

"None used to replace uncountable nouns should always be singular. None used in place of countable nouns may be either singular or plural, unless the rest of the circumstances or phrasing require it to be one or the other."

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:51 pm

It depends on when we get the PL money. Maybe we got £30m the day after the interview

Or maybe we got £100m the day before

Cash at bank is no guide to profitability

bfcwest
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 85 times

Post by bfcwest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Of course we need increased capacity, but it needs to be an increase in seats that people really want to sit in, e.g. well above pitch level, and then more central, preferably side one. Those of you that say we don't sell out enough are just short sighted. The Longside upper is nearly always sold out, and so is the Bob Lord. The central blocks are always sold out. If we had another 5000 well positioned seats then they would sell out for many games. Our average attendance would go up and we would hopefully have a few new fans stick with us longer term. The capacities and average attendances of most top two division clubs has been going UP in the last 25 years, but Burnley have not increased capacity despite us being in the best position since the 70's!

I don't bother bringing my family anymore because the view from seats that we can sit together in are rubbish. It's just not worth a 3 hour drive for.

I worry that any new fan who 'tries out' Burnley and end up almost below pitch level in the corner of the Long side lower (where the players run out), probably think twice about bothering again. The view is awful. Those of you who say we have enough seats should try sitting there.

The Bob Lord needs to become one really big single tier with no pillars. We could then take out the front few rows of the Longside and Jimmy Mac and then move the pitch over so it is central. Then EVERYONE in the ground would have a better view. Our ratio of rubbish to good seats would change dramatically for the better and we would have much higher average attendances. Atmosphere would be better too.
These 2 users liked this post: Claret eze AndyClaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Vast majority will be wages and bonuses.

If wages keep going up at the rate they are in the PL, then our ability to compete will be seriously eroded.
Not if the TV rights keep going up at the rate they are...

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:49 pm

bfcwest wrote:Our ratio of rubbish to good seats would change dramatically for the better and we would have much higher average attendances. Atmosphere would be better too.
And out of interest how much higher do you really think our average attendances could be?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:51 pm

boatshed bill wrote:In certain circumstances, but not as used in the post on which I commented :)

"None used to replace uncountable nouns should always be singular. None used in place of countable nouns may be either singular or plural, unless the rest of the circumstances or phrasing require it to be one or the other."
What's your source?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:really ? bonkers
Yes there is an excellent youtube interview with Stan the man where he is far from happy with CT :D
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 pm

So we may have 25 million in the bank but what do we have under the mattress .........

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:59 pm

jedi_master wrote:The most interesting thing of this interview was Garlick saying that there are plans in the pipeline for other sections of the ground.

With the shop and cladding etc on the Bob Lord having been done, the training ground done, and the disabled facilities done (or about to be finished), that only realistically leaves bigger scale plans for the Bob Lord and Cricket Field Stands (with the CFS I would assume being more likely to get work done to it first).

That is exciting to hear as it's well overdue and is realistically what this money should be spent on. Without sounding defeatist, we will not sustain a position in this league forever, or even medium term, just on account of finance. As a result, we need to be spending our money from these days in the sun on long term projects which are there for the club whatever league we are in. We haven't had a new stand built at Burnley for 23 years, which is ludicrous when you look around the divisions. The time has come.
New stands dont equal success or long term stability. Players do.

Fleetwood have a new stadium!

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Not if the TV rights keep going up at the rate they are...
What - about £500m down (domestically) on last time for 40 more games

Reecey1987
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:06 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:New stands dont equal success or long term stability. Players do.

Fleetwood have a new stadium!
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; forest have plans on revamping there stadium

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:11 pm

Claret eze wrote:I wouldn't sit in the first few rows of any of our stands for free.decent seats or people stay at home,and watch a decent stream.
I'm in row 5 of the CF and my head is above the crossbar. The CF and Bob Lord both have raised stands.

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:11 pm

Spijed wrote:And out of interest how much higher do you really think our average attendances could be?
Depends how many decent extra seats we have. If capacity was limitless (I know it never will be, but humour me please so I can prove my point...), with an abundance of decent seats, then I am sure we would get around 30k for games against Man U, Liverpool. Then say 27k for the Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal level...Then mid 20's for all others baring the maybe the 5 or 6 less attractive matches (Watford, Bournmouth....etc), which I'd like to think we'd hit 23, 24k.

This would give us an average of about 26, maybe 27k. That's a good 6k more than today.

The point is, increased decent seat capacity would result in higher average attendences, I am convinced of it.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Spijed wrote:And out of interest how much higher do you really think our average attendances could be?
You didn’t ask me but, reading bfcwest’s Comment it would very well have come from me, as I have also suggested removing seats in the Longside lower before too, and moving the pitch over which would create more space for a new Brunshaw road stand.

If we had 25,000 capacity that would be a further 3,056 seats/spaces.

You’d give away fans a rounded 3,000 versus up to 2,470 now, and half the clubs would sell out. So the average would increase by 250 purely from away fans.

Home fans would sell 2,400 extra seats in half the games too, so that’s 1,200 extra. We’re now at 1,450 average increase, putting us on 22,100 average looking at last season.

Then you’d also factor in an increase because of standing (assuming any increase includes standing areas) and better seats for buying on the day, more kids tickets given ensure they attend with parents, and a good campaign in a wider catchment area. Let’s say that brings us an extra 500-1,000 people (2-4%).

A rough estimate would give us an average of 22,600-23,100 with a larger capacity...in an average Premier League year.

If relegated, and you retained the same percentages as normal, you might settle at 13-14,000 home crowds instead of 12,000 after a couple of seasons.

All hypothetical of course as despite what Garlick alluded to, there are no plans to redevelop those stands! :D

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I'm in row 5 of the CF and my head is above the crossbar. The CF and Bob Lord both have raised stands.
And I'm in the cricket field,and I wouldn't sit in any of our stands for free in the first few rows.against unfashionable teams these are the empty seats.

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 pm

I would not only move the pitch towards the Longside, but also towards the Jimmy Mac by taking all the rubbish front few rows out of BOTH stands.

Not only would this allow for the Bob Lord to be re-built bigger and further over, but eventually the Cricket Field could be re-built further forward too. By not making it as deep on the ground would allow for an area down the BACK of the new Cricketfield stand so the ground could be 360 degree accessible which would transform the place.

Claretforever wrote:You didn’t ask me but, reading bfcwest’s Comment it would very well have come from me, as I have also suggested removing seats in the Longside lower before too, and moving the pitch over which would create more space for a new Brunshaw road stand.

If we had 25,000 capacity that would be a further 3,056 seats/spaces.

You’d give away fans a rounded 3,000 versus up to 2,470 now, and half the clubs would sell out. So the average would increase by 250 purely from away fans.

Home fans would sell 2,400 extra seats in half the games too, so that’s 1,200 extra. We’re now at 1,450 average increase, putting us on 22,100 average looking at last season.

Then you’d also factor in an increase because of standing (assuming any increase includes standing areas) and better seats for buying on the day, more kids tickets given ensure they attend with parents, and a good campaign in a wider catchment area. Let’s say that brings us an extra 500-1,000 people (2-4%).

A rough estimate would give us an average of 22,600-23,100 with a larger capacity...in an average Premier League year.

If relegated, and you retained the same percentages as normal, you might settle at 13-14,000 home crowds instead of 12,000 after a couple of seasons.

All hypothetical of course as despite what Garlick alluded to, there are no plans to redevelop those stands! :D

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm

bfcwest wrote:This would give us an average of about 26, maybe 27k. That's a good 6k more than today.

The point is, increased decent seat capacity would result in higher average attendences, I am convinced of it.
I'm curious as to how you've come to the belief that we could get such high gates - in fact higher average attendances than Rovers did around the time they won the Premier league, especially as we aren't in a similar position, nor will be for many years to come.

They got a 27k average once, the season after they won the league. The rest of the time they got 23-25k

http://european-football-statistics.co. ... e/blar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by thomaspaine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Claret eze wrote:I wouldn't sit in the first few rows of any of our stands for free.decent seats or people stay at home,and watch a decent stream.
At least you are honest about being fickle.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:13 pm

bfcwest wrote:I would not only move the pitch towards the Longside, but also towards the Jimmy Mac by taking all the rubbish front few rows out of BOTH stands.

Not only would this allow for the Bob Lord to be re-built bigger and further over, but eventually the Cricket Field could be re-built further forward too. By not making it as deep on the ground would allow for an area down the BACK of the new Cricketfield stand so the ground could be 360 degree accessible which would transform the place.
ClaretForever and myself have very similar views on the redevelopment of Turf Moor, i'm glad to read bfcwest's input as that is somewhere close to what we have been saying every time this subject is discussed.

I prefer redevelopment as a title rather than capacity increase.

The improvement of the facilities at Turf Moor and Gawthorpe will be the lasting legacy but it has to run alongside successful onfield activities, hopefully our top flight adventure shows no sign of ending.

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Why exactly is it fickle?. I've supported us home and away over most 30 years, since the 4th division..I've sat in those seats and they are poor.try it pal and get back to me.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 pm

24 mill,bloody he'll how rich are we?

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:21 pm

How many teams see a reduction In attendances with better facitlities?I'm sick of seeing we might get relegated soon so enjoy the ride etc etc,it's a good job the people before us thought of bigger things and made us the best team in the league.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Claret eze wrote:How many teams see a reduction In attendances with better facitlities?I'm sick of seeing we might get relegated soon so enjoy the ride etc etc,it's a good job the people before us thought of bigger things and made us the best team in the league.
Rovers?

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:23 pm

Claret eze wrote:And I'm in the cricket field,and I wouldn't sit in any of our stands for free in the first few rows.against unfashionable teams these are the empty seats.
As there was thought put into the BLS and CFS, the front rows seats have a decent view, it is infact the rear of the stand that has the most restricted views.

The abysmal attempt with the Linpave stands has the opposite issue, the lower tier of the Longside has hundreds of seats that are substandard to say the least, open to the elements and many of them below pitch level.

Fans would rather buy severely resticted view seats in the BLS than sit in many of the seats in the Longside Lower, that has to be a damning indictment of them.

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 pm

Spijed wrote:I'm curious as to how you've come to the belief that we could get such high gates - in fact higher average attendances than Rovers did around the time they won the Premier league, especially as we aren't in a similar position, nor will be for many years to come.

They got a 27k average once, the season after they won the league. The rest of the time they got 23-25k

http://european-football-statistics.co. ... e/blar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Average attendances were much lower back then, Football was nowhere near as popular as it is today. The Premier league is higher profile than then.
Plus, I said we could average 27k if the capacity was limitless just to prove the point that increased capacity leads to higher averages. If Blackburn's capacity had been higher then they would have averaged more (because they would have sold out of desirable seats on several occasions, but with extra seats would have had bigger gates).

As long as we stick to less than 22k capacity we are seriously limiting our ability to grow average attendances. I can't think if any other top two division teams that have NOT increased capacity in the last 25 years. Teams like Stoke, Norwich, Swansea, Derby, Preston, West Brom, Bolton....

The top 11 teams in the current Championship table are averaging MORE than our current capacity.

The top 6 teams in League ONE are averaging well over half our capacity.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Spijed wrote:Rovers?
When have Rovers done recent redevelopment work at Ewood Park?

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:30 pm

Spijed wrote:Rovers?
Didn't they win the league?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 pm

I suspect the two main stands will be allowed to grow old gracefully, which is a shame. I suspect the Bob Lord will also be left. Ultimately, if there is no money in improving things (i.e. by adding capacity that will then generate income), the Board are unlikely to do it.

I take a long term view though, and for many of us decent facilities are crucial to continue the slog from far away each week. I just can’t see us continuing to thrive otherwise, people will get fed up once we are relegated.

I would want the following on a list of things that must be done, and think it should all be finished within 10 years:

1. Better acoustics and roof design (also keeping paying fans dry)
2. Concourses that can be walked through with a small child, not a rugby scrum at half time.
3. Sufficient toilets and water hot enough to kill the bacteria that accumulates in them
4. Strip lighting all replaced with LED for comfort.
5. Seats with more leg room.
6. A wider walkway to the ground with a more direct route rather than around the cricket pitch.
7. Better food and drink by using outside caterers inside the ground - bring back pie and peas!
8. No restricted views.
9. A standing section (when allowed).

A wish list to be sure, but we deserve it, and the trouble is, I can’t see any of those 9 being done. Trying to lower fans expectations on how much money there is doesn’t really help.
Last edited by CrosspoolClarets on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Claret eze wrote:Didn't they win the league?
They did and they are now rattling around in a 30k stadium, getting gates of 14k in the Championship.

So much for the theory that having a bigger ground leads to bigger attendances.

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:43 pm

Spijed wrote:They did and they are now rattling around in a 30k stadium, getting gates of 14k in the Championship.

See brighton Swansea Southampton Cardiff leicester etc.one things for certain,think small and that's where you will stay at best.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Spijed wrote:They did and they are now rattling around in a 30k stadium, getting gates of 14k in the Championship.

Better facilities with a nominal capacity increase does.

If Ewood was still in it's 1992 condition it would probably have been shut down and condemned but would almost certainly see smaller crowds than in it's shiny white elephant state of 2019.