Mike Garlick says we have £24m in bank

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Mike Garlick says we have £24m in bank

Post by TVC15 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:56 pm

The old canons of lending brings back good memories of going on corporate lending residential courses in old stately homes back in 1980s - happy days !

The big problem with the C for Character is that unfortunately that went out of the window - and unfortunately i’m referring to the Banks as much as i am to the business owners. If you get one greedy wide boy wanting to borrow money from an equally greedy banker then there is only going to be one outcome.

As for rules on risk, security, gearing, affordability, sustainability all the normal rules went out of the same window as “character” !

If it all seems too good to be true...then it usually is.
The clever ones are those that get out of it as quick as they got in and still make plenty of cash.
This user liked this post: Guich

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:43 pm

TVC15 wrote:The old canons of lending brings back good memories of going on corporate lending residential courses in old stately homes back in 1980s - happy days ! As for rules on risk, security, gearing, affordability, sustainability all the normal rules went out of the same window as “character” !

Character, Capability, Capital ..
Purpose, Amount, Repayment, Terms, Security ( CCCPARTS ) ...

Sound familiar, " TVC15 " ?? ... Lloyds Bank, Hindhead, Surrey for me .. ;)

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Character, Capability, Capital ..
Purpose, Amount, Repayment, Terms, Security ( CCCPARTS ) ...

Sound familiar, " TVC15 " ?? ... Lloyds Bank, Hindhead, Surrey for me .. ;)
Aye - feels a million years ago eh !

Stanford Hall Loughborough for me.
I remember once being late for the first day because the train doors wouldn’t open and the next stop was Melton Mowbray - I got a real rollicking. Never been able to look at a pork pie since !

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:53 pm

TVC15 wrote:Aye - feels a million years ago eh !

Stanford Hall Loughborough for me.
I remember once being late for the first day because the train doors wouldn’t open and the next stop was Melton Mowbray - I got a real rollicking. Never been able to look at a pork pie since !
Was Loughborough Midland Bank, by any chance ?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Was Loughborough Midland Bank, by any chance ?
Not sure as it may have been used for a few banks. That’s not where I worked though - no way was I going to wear one of those silly Griffin suits !

ClaretShaun
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by ClaretShaun » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Can you two get a room.

This thread is getting a bit weird now

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:19 pm

aggi wrote:From what I remember it wasn't up to BF whether the loans were called in. Modus (I think, it may have been another of his companies) went into administration and it was the administrators who called in the loan (and that would have happened regardless of the play-off result).
That was absolutely the case.

The administrators KPMG called back the loan of £3.7m plus interest added of £1.8m. The full amount was paid to KPMG in January 2010. Coming at the same time as Coyle's defection to Bolton, it's arguable that had that money been available for player purchases and team investment, then he might have been persuaded to stay.

But to be clear, contrary to what has been stated higher up this thread, Brendan Flood would NOT have recalled the loan and probably would have even increased it for Coyle's use.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 pm

To be fair Royboy he had no part in the decision so there was never a choice for him to make.
Do you not think that the money came from Modus so that he was never put in the position where he would have had to make this choice with his own money ?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Banking and Financial Strategy are completely different so I know a lot about one and little about the other, but I do find it intriguing looking at the above mnemonics in the last dozen posts and pondering how to a degree they are completely different to the characteristics needed to grow shareholder value.

In a sense one values being risk averse and the other values taking calculated risks.

I suppose it's a bit like investing where one can have an income or growth mindset, one being riskier than the other.

In a football sense one mindset would be good at steadying the ship, the other at driving it forward. On this excellent thread alone there are lots of very intelligent people who fall into both camps, there are merits to both arguments.

I bet the board at BFC want to be the latter of those two examples, but don't necessarily have the confidence they can do it, so they keep it steady instead. The trouble is, there are dozens of other "ships" trying to drive forward and some are bound to overtake us.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Crosspool - good points but I reckon there is a 3rd camp that sits in between your strategy and the current boards.
That’s the one I’m in !

There’s probably a 4th camp too - wreckless gambling without any plan or strategy to try and reach the promised land !!

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:08 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Banking and Financial Strategy are completely different so I know a lot about one and little about the other, but I do find it intriguing looking at the above mnemonics in the last dozen posts and pondering how to a degree they are completely different to the characteristics needed to grow shareholder value.

In a sense one values being risk averse and the other values taking calculated risks.

I suppose it's a bit like investing where one can have an income or growth mindset, one being riskier than the other.

In a football sense one mindset would be good at steadying the ship, the other at driving it forward. On this excellent thread alone there are lots of very intelligent people who fall into both camps, there are merits to both arguments.

I bet the board at BFC want to be the latter of those two examples, but don't necessarily have the confidence they can do it, so they keep it steady instead. The trouble is, there are dozens of other "ships" trying to drive forward and some are bound to overtake us.
1) The mnemonics were there to train the Bank's lending staff, rightly or wrongly, to try to approve " quality loans " and to protect the Bank's position in the event of non-repayment ...

2) To take your last analogy, " HMS Claret " seems to have progressed quite well since Captain Kilby took the helm, with us mid-table in the old 3rd Division. He's allowed a small number of others to assist him on the Bridge, during some stormy times. He's had other help, notably from Chief Petty Officers Ternant and Dyche, and even CPO Coyle, before he abandoned ship and joined another Ship's crew, " The Notlob " which looks likely to be heading for " Davy Jones' locker " if it keeps on it's current course.
The " Claret " is a thoroughly sea-worthworthy vessel, and whilst other ships may have bigger & better appointed cabins, ballrooms, mess facilities etc, many others have steadily been overtaken, whilst others ( the SS " Ewood ", HMS " Pompey " etc.. ), have steamed past us going full speed in the wrong direction, with Officers and Crew heading for the life-rafts ! Meanwhile, the owners & passengers of some other ships, notably " HMS Portman Road " look on with envy, whilst others have been captured by Pirates such as " SS Bloomfield ", " HMS Valley " and " HMS Coventry " ....
God bless the good ship " Claret " and all who sail in her !!
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 pm

The board were considering redevelopment of the Cricket Field stand almost 20 years ago.

I remember them talking about it 12 years ago, but hadn’t realised back in the late 90’s/start of this century we’d considered that stand in need of an update.

It’s quite remarkable that they supposedly now consider it to have another 10-15 years left in it, making it double the age it was when they first considered it past its best.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... amp-talks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Turfytop

Turfytop
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 449 times

Post by Turfytop » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Claretforever wrote:The board were considering redevelopment of the Cricket Field stand almost 20 years ago.

I remember them talking about it 12 years ago, but hadn’t realised back in the late 90’s/start of this century we’d considered that stand in need of an update.

It’s quite remarkable that they supposedly now consider it to have another 10-15 years left in it, making it double the age it was when they first considered it past its best.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... amp-talks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’m sure they said it had concrete cancer aswell at the time

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 am

Claretforever wrote:The board were considering redevelopment of the Cricket Field stand almost 20 years ago.

The Bob Lord simply has to be done first to get state of the art changing rooms put in and a new tunnel built in. I don't know if port a cabins are allowed anymore?
This user liked this post: bfcwest

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:18 am

haven't we just spent a couple of million on new Changing rooms for home teams, away teams and match officials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqveDVAcVrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bfcwest
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 85 times

Post by bfcwest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:45 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:The Bob Lord simply has to be done first to get state of the art changing rooms put in and a new tunnel built in. I don't know if port a cabins are allowed anymore?
Absolutely, sort the Bob Lord stand out first. We need an increase in the percentage of seats that get sold out fastest, and these are side on to the pitch and well above pitch level (i.e. with a decent view and not getting soaked wet). There is no point in updating the seats that are less desirable first. The Bob Lord is outdated and far too small for a main stand, get it replaced with a bigger single tier that can eventually sweep round the corner (for away fans) and replace the Cricket Field once the bigger Bob Lord section is complete so that we have extra capacity to accommodate the Cricket Field stand not being there for a season.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:49 am

£2 Million on new changing rooms ??

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 am

25,000 capacity max though.

There just isn't the need for anymore

Claretforever

Post by Claretforever » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:25,000 capacity max though.

I don’t think you’ll find many disagreeing with you. 3,000 away seats(inc 2,000 rail seats), with 22,000 home spaces would see us fine for decades, allowing us to potentially grow our regularly attending fan base slightly from further afield. The fans of tomorrow.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Turfytop

Goody1975
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:04 pm

I have been one of the few who is willing to get involved in this discussion everytime it arises and i've said continually that it's about redevelopment rather than capacity.

I think 23,500 is fine with 2,500 for away supporters but provision for the 3,525 required for cup games.

I've always thought we should have the away supporters back in the corner where they were historically, this would give them a dedicated away fans pub and the police would have wet dream over the improvement of crowd segregation post match. The big issue is it would be difficult to work with the current stands.

Any development has to go hand in hand with the team but there are fans who haven't been born yet who won't thank our generation for sitting by and doing nothing when they are watching our team in twenty or thirty years time in the same stands.

Cost of redevelopment goes up year on year and if we do nothing now we may never be able to do it in the future.

Just my opinion of course.
This user liked this post: Claretforever

Claretforever

Post by Claretforever » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Goody1975 wrote:I have been one of the few who is willing to get involved in this discussion everytime it arises and i've said continually that it's about redevelopment rather than capacity.

I think 23,500 is fine with 2,500 for away supporters but provision for the 3,525 required for cup games.

I've always thought we should have the away supporters back in the corner where they were historically, this would give them a dedicated away fans pub and the police would have wet dream over the improvement of crowd segregation post match. The big issue is it would be difficult to work with the current stands.

Any development has to go hand in hand with the team but there are fans who haven't been born yet who won't thank our generation for sitting by and doing nothing when they are watching our team in twenty or thirty years time in the same stands.

Cost of redevelopment goes up year on year and if we do nothing now we may never be able to do it in the future.

Just my opinion of course.
And when we are forced to do something, possibly at a time when we have no money again, we’ll end up with more cheaply thrown up stands, with flaky cheap brickwork, cheap corrugated cladding, no insulation, and no hot running water.

The board do not care one jot about the fans in reality. We are purely a revenue stream. The only time they harp on about how special the fans are is when we are skint and they’re desperate for season ticket sales.

The only way to make a difference is make a noise about it. As big a noise as possible.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Had not realised the new changing rooms were that big!

£2M well spent!

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:36 pm

I’ve just had several quotes of £250k to extend a normal sized house that will only add £150k to the value. Needless to say I kicked it into touch. If I had asked 10 years ago it would have been £100k.

Same logic with the stands, as the above poster says. The difference is, houses do not have customers, stands do. It makes the economic case to do it early even more compelling when it is a certainty it will need doing in the end anyway.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:18 am

I have it on good authority that the future stadium plans Mr Garlick mentioned in his interview are brand new private boxes in the James Hargreaves! This is not a joke!

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:31 am

If true we will be bankrupt from relegation in 3 years then

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:36 am

After the last 3 weeks anyone still think that we should spend on the ground and not the team?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:38 am

Well, it looks like the boards contingency plan to make sure we can complete at the level below is going to be tested that is for sure.
This user liked this post: summitclaret