REPORT: Grim on the Tyne

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

REPORT: Grim on the Tyne

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:09 pm

Newcastle v Burnley report

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/grim-on-the-tyne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Re: REPORT: Grim on the Tyne

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:14 pm

Good read Tony and a fair assessment.

Onto the Palace game...

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 pm

All teams chuck one in now and again - we'll be reet enough, worry not.

Good, honest report.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:21 pm

Decent report CT.
I thought that the game was meandering along with Newcastle the better team and us looking off the pace during the first half but they were not really threatening until the wonder strike from Schar. I thought that that strike would lift them, however, the game still meandered along until Longstaff struck the second.
We shoud lhave reduced the deficit through Tarkowski and a few Toon fans thought that we should have been awarded a penalty for the tussle between Ritchie and JBG.
We did improve in the second half but it was just one of those nights and was typified by the scramble in their six yard box late on when the ball just would not drop to a Claret.
Toon are happy with the result, we still have to keep things going but last night was fine margins again featuring two teams who, realistically, just want to hang on to PL status.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:23 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Decent report CT.
I thought that the game was meandering along with Newcastle the better team and us looking off the pace during the first half but they were not really threatening until the wonder strike from Schar. I thought that that strike would lift them, however, the game still meandered along until Longstaff struck the second.
We shoud lhave reduced the deficit through Tarkowski and a few Toon fans thought that we should have been awarded a penalty for the tussle between Ritchie and JBG.
We did improve in the second half but it was just one of those nights and was typified by the scramble in their six yard box late on when the ball just would not drop to a Claret.
Toon are happy with the result, we still have to keep things going but last night was fine margins again featuring two teams who, realistically, just want to hang on to PL status.
The penalty incident we were told about but it was at the far end so a long way away at St. James'. I didn't mention it in the report given that no one from Burnley has referred to it since the match, certainly Dyche didn't in his post match.

Agree with you, they were better than us but nothing looked as though it would happen and they scored, carried on and they scored again. Might have been so different if we could have gone in at 2-1 but not to be.

I didn't think they looked a good side at all and had we played anything like we have been doing recently I think we could have won it comfortably.
These 2 users liked this post: basil6345789 MT03ALG

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:The penalty incident we were told about but it was at the far end so a long way away at St. James'. I didn't mention it in the report given that no one from Burnley has referred to it since the match, certainly Dyche didn't in his post match.

Agree with you, they were better than us but nothing looked as though it would happen and they scored, carried on and they scored again. Might have been so different if we could have gone in at 2-1 but not to be.

I didn't think they looked a good side at all and had we played anything like we have been doing recently I think we could have won it comfortably.
I agree Tony, they have had a lift with the new signing and also with beating City at home which started their winning home run which they continued last night.
Longstaff has given them a real boost after being given his chance, just like McNeil, through injuries. They are stiil just one point in front of us and with Bournemouth crashing tonight at Arsenal, they are another club who could get dragged into the fight with just 14 points from their last 15 matches.
They should be OK because, apart from us, they have to play Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle, Fulham, Palace and Southampton. Realistically, they have a big say in who could be going down!!

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am

The title is a bit harsh particularly for those of us who live on Tyneside. The game apart, a good evening. The away supporters were in good heart and voice, generally well behaved, stoical in terms of accepting the result/poor display and, as ever, the Newcastle pubs were well worth visiting.
I look forward to the same PL fixture next year albeit with a different outcome, howway the lads!
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 am

Good point made by Ashingtonclaret46 and 'the lift' that Newcastle appeared to be experiencing. A local lad and an overseas player have seemingly energised the team and helped them forget (at least for now) their hostility towards Ashley. I've been travelling between Lancashire and Northumberland for 45 years since I met my wife(from Bedlington) and I know that the hostility is very much likely to return if results don't continue in their favour. As fickle as anywhere else in the country St James' Park could still see a return to the bad old days if there is a downturn in results.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:00 pm

CleggHall wrote:The title is a bit harsh particularly for those of us who live on Tyneside.
Or it’s gone over your head

maccclaret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by maccclaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Or it’s gone over your head
Too many sickly sausage rolls have done for him.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Or it’s gone over your head
From the height up there only satellites manage to go overhead! :shock:

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Still think its a foul on Cork for build up for the second, super dive otherwise worth a booking.