Violent crime in London

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Re: Violent crime in London

Post by ClaretFelix » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:16 pm

You're absolutely right about alcohol and tobacco.

I only have my own experience in dealing with mental health and its impact on personal lives and the community, and have no access to facts or statistics, but you'll probably find a large proportion of patients currently occupying beds in the mental health hubs have used and abused cannabis.

ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by ClaretFelix » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 pm

bfccrazy wrote: You smoking a joint might not impact me directly, the things that can and regularly do happen with the use many other drugs have an undisputed impact on wider society though whilst being illegal. If legalised/decriminalised then its only logical to think that all the problems that come along with drugs have the potential of increasing a lot.
What might only be an annoyance resulting and a cough and splutter when walking through a fog of cigarette smoke, may well be a lot worse when exposed to cannabis and it's stench, both lit as a joint or merely possessing it. For those not familiar with it, it can lead to headaches and nausea, not particularly pleasant.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote: How many deaths have been the result of cannabis use in, say the last year?
Considering this thread is about violence and gang culture surrounding drugs -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 32576.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-led-raid

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... ks-justice

Thats 3 different way canabis can cause deaths/violence even if legalised.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 pm

ClaretFelix wrote:What might only be an annoyance resulting and a cough and splutter when walking through a fog of cigarette smoke, may well be a lot worse when exposed to cannabis and it's stench, both lit as a joint or merely possessing it. For those not familiar with it, it can lead to headaches and nausea, not particularly pleasant.
I have tried canabis when younger and it’s something that I have never really liked the effects of - friends smoke it regularly though and what I have found over time is that it’s usage is wider spread than I had ever thought with many people I didn’t expect to smoke it, smoking it.

I did learn quickly though when I tried it when younger that my tolerance is very low so being somewhere people could legally smoke it would probably leave me spewing quite quickly.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:31 pm

An interesting thing I just remembered though was watching the “worlds strictest parents” show a while back. A couple of kids were sent to stay in Holland (with its famous coffee shops) and when they asked kids at the school they attended what they thought of smoking weed and other drugs was how all of them thought it was for losers and didn’t want to do it, even though they could easily get hold of it or not travel far to legally have it. It seemed like it was the complete opposite of here where youngsters seem to think it’s cool to “blaze a phat one”.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:34 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I thought you’d added it just to cause a bit of a stir being honest. If you actually feel that way then you’re entitled to your opinion.

More accurately it was what i chose not to say that i expected would cause a stir. I do that deliberately sometimes because people like to misinterpret what i ACTUALLY say and then throw their misinterpretation back at me, often with vitriol. That's what happened, and I make no apologies for your misinterpretation.

I'm under no illusions that people who use drugs sometimes commit crimes. I'm under no illusions that people get emotionally hurt by people they care about using drugs.
But the same is true for alcohol, so i reject those objections to drugs being legalised.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:35 pm

bfccrazy wrote:An interesting thing I just remembered though was watching the “worlds strictest parents” show a while back. A couple of kids were sent to stay in Holland (with its famous coffee shops) and when they asked kids at the school they attended what they thought of smoking weed and other drugs was how all of them thought it was for losers and didn’t want to do it, even though they could easily get hold of it or not travel far to legally have it. It seemed like it was the complete opposite of here where youngsters seem to think it’s cool to “blaze a phat one”.
There are other, tastier ways to use cannabis.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Considering this thread is about violence and gang culture surrounding drugs -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 32576.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-led-raid

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... ks-justice

Thats 3 different way canabis can cause deaths/violence even if legalised.

That first one? “obsession with the custody and control of children”.
Just because there was cannabis being grown there doesn't make it a cannabis related crime. And it certainly wasn't caused by cannabis.

The second one literally wouldn't have happened if cannabis was legalised, because the police don't raid the homes of people for doing something legally.

And the third one was a robbery as a marijuana dispenser. Guess what. Robberies happen at non-drug dispensaries too. Or should we ban jewellers?

I appreciate the effort to actually provide something to support your argument, but those links are not close to being adequate. I feel like maybe you didn't read them carefully.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Blackrod wrote:The last time I was on the underground I looked around and thought I could be in a different country. I used to live there but I think it has changed a lot in the last 15 years or so and some types of crime have certainly increased.
I can only assume you're talking about the people you saw, rather than the trains themselves, which look as British as ever. The people you saw were visually different to what you identify as being "British" - and to me this calls into question your too narrow definition of what it means to be British. This is your problem, and only you can find your way to see beyond skin colour, clothes people wear, or religion (or whatever it is that you felt wasn't British); but whether you like it or not, this is reality. And it's also true that 99% of the people you saw who were different have no problem with your British-ness (so you can eat bacon every day for breakfast, gamble on the horses, drink as much as you like - and publicly if you want, smoke, and live a completely 1950's British lifestyle, should you wish). Your right to live as you wish is unchallenged, and all you have to do is tolerate everyone else to do the same.

On a wider note, I find it surprising that we as a country are talking about having a global outlook, and yet some feel intimidated by the minority of people who moved here from elsewhere. We want to trade more with India, so great - we've got people here who speak one or more of their thirteen official languages (not to mention all the other languages spoken in India), and understand their cultures and religions, so these people are bridges. They are strengths in our national ambitions. And of course being global in outlook is a two way street. We go out, and others come in.
These 5 users liked this post: Greenmile cricketfieldclarets Lancasterclaret Paul Waine longsidepies

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I thought you’d added it just to cause a bit of a stir being honest. If you actually feel that way then you’re entitled to your opinion.

I would argue though that the usual happenings of a lot of addicts affect a lot of other people. I’m not a small lad and can look after myself but have felt uneasy a couple of times walking through Manchester and seeing someone on spice going mental at passers by. I have seen needles disposed off in parks/public toilets (next time you’re on the turf, have a wander up onto the culvert and have a look around there and you’ll see so many used needles in A space kids could easily get to. Empty/dropped bags of powder/pills that a kid could pick up and try.

It’s direct impact could be on health services - I have had mates who have been rushed to hospital after too heavy a night out pretending they were horses .... that tied up an ambulance/paramedics and also a hospital bed for the night which has the potential of somebody else staying alive/dying.

You smoking a joint might not impact me directly, the things that can and regularly do happen with the use many other drugs have an undisputed impact on wider society though whilst being illegal. If legalised/decriminalised then its only logical to think that all the problems that come along with drugs have the potential of increasing a lot.

That’s before getting into the problems of more people who would be driving/operating machinery etc whilst under the influence of what would be a legal drug. Which is one part of the Portuguese system I do like, where people can be stripped of their jobs if drugs would affect a job which could put the safety of others in jeopardy.
Nope sorry taking drugs doesn't affect anyone else....

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:07 am

tim_noone wrote:Nope sorry taking drugs doesn't affect anyone else....

It doesn't. If i snort a line who else is affected?

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:29 am

Everyone that reads your posts
These 6 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle Rick_Muller cricketfieldclarets tim_noone PaintYorkClaretnBlue Alanstevensonsgloves

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:13 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:It doesn't. If i snort a line who else is affected?
Lots of people, unless of course dealers are supplying 'fair trade' Lemo nowadays.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:21 am

If you see the Ministry of Justice crime statistics crime rates are clearly higher among the black population, especially in London.
Black people are also more likely to come to the attention of police because of the prevalence in the TYPE of crimes they commit.
Please don't interpret this thread to have some kind of racist agenda it just appears to be the sign of the times. Welcome to London in the 21st century.

i woudnt take my dog there.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:30 am

Have you ever been there Paul?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:37 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:It doesn't. If i snort a line who else is affected?
:lol: jesus. No he isnt affected. Just impressed at your fishing.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:16 am

I can only assume you're talking about the people you saw, rather than the trains themselves, which look as British as ever. The people you saw were visually different to what you identify as being "British" - and to me this calls into question your too narrow definition of what it means to be British. This is your problem, and only you can find your way to see beyond skin colour, clothes people wear, or religion (or whatever it is that you felt wasn't British); but whether you like it or not, this is reality. And it's also true that 99% of the people you saw who were different have no problem with your British-ness (so you can eat bacon every day for breakfast, gamble on the horses, drink as much as you like - and publicly if you want, smoke, and live a completely 1950's British lifestyle, should you wish). Your right to live as you wish is unchallenged, and all you have to do is tolerate everyone else to do the same.
*Standing ovation gif if I could be arsed to find one*

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:18 am

I think decriminalising marijuana would be a start.

Gut feeling would be a spike in use immediately after it and then it would gradually just drop down to the levels you see know, but with the added benefit of its use being taxed.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:I think decriminalising marijuana would be a start.

Gut feeling would be a spike in use immediately after it and then it would gradually just drop down to the levels you see know, but with the added benefit of its use being taxed.
My thought process is along those lines too Lancs, though I'd like to see an unbiased study on it's properties as a 'gateway' before I pinned my colours to the mast.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:16 am

I'm yet to be convinced by legalization of drugs, but I think decriminalisation at the point where someone is essentially ill, is something we should be ashamed we haven't done as a society. We've spent hundreds of millions of pounds locking people up who need help, and putting them on an endless merry-go-round of prescribed methadone that might well kill them, just to keep those pesky addicts a bit quieter. Proper investment into abstinence based recovery, and coordinated programs to integrate people lost from society back with purpose and self-worth, will mean a lot less people get back into a cycle of addiction and prison.
No one sets out to get hooked on heroine and ruin their lives, which is why I'd be reluctant to essentially make access to class A drugs in particular, easier. And despite its illegality, a lot will try them and move on. I think you cut supply by first and foremost giving people a meaningful route out of addiction.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Incredibly diverse city. All these foreigners. Fantastic to be honest. Most incredible city on earth and we should be immensely proud of it. Theres a reason so many want to come here.

:lol: :lol:

I think you need to travel a bit ! True the smoke has a great transport system, fascinating history and remarkably diverse population .But by en large is nothing more than a highly overpriced tourist infested sh1thole . Tower Hamlets sums up London to me ,staggering poverty and quite blatant open sharia law side by side with one of the most icon buildings in England’s history . I worked there for about 18 months and was ok tbf but the best time of the week was getting on the train 1pm every Friday .Oddly it’s the only Capital or major city I can think of anywhere in the world which doesn’t feel like it’s host country .

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:03 am

AlargeClaret wrote:Tower Hamlets sums up London to me ,staggering poverty and quite blatant open sharia law
It's a nightmare!
I was cycling through Whitechapel and got pulled over by the local religious police to talk about the length of my beard.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Post by aggi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 am

Just to check, is London a shithole or full of ivory towers? I'm confused.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Both, and if you live there (or anywhere else not within a whippets throw of Stoops) you are not allowed to comment on Burnley matters.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Caballo wrote:Lots of people, unless of course dealers are supplying 'fair trade' Lemo nowadays.
:roll: They're not affected by someone else taking drugs.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:59 pm

They wont legalise cannabis. Productivity in the country would drop massively. Nobody will get up to go to work every day and tax revenue would drop like a stone.
It would turn Britain into France
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:More accurately it was what i chose not to say that i expected would cause a stir. I do that deliberately sometimes because people like to misinterpret what i ACTUALLY say and then throw their misinterpretation back at me, often with vitriol. That's what happened, and I make no apologies for your misinterpretation.

I'm under no illusions that people who use drugs sometimes commit crimes. I'm under no illusions that people get emotionally hurt by people they care about using drugs.
But the same is true for alcohol, so i reject those objections to drugs being legalised.
So because people commit crimes under the influence of alcohol - we should just think “ah well, people commit crimes anyway so might as well just accept that more will be committed if we legalise it” bit of a silly stance IMO. If you’re pretty sure more crime will be committed then surely it would be illogical to allow it?

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1168 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Could go full Ankh-Morpork and install a Thieves Guild
These 2 users liked this post: CombatClaret Lancasterclaret

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Falcon wrote:Could go full Ankh-Morpork and install a Thieves Guild
"You can't go around arresting the Thieves' Guild. I mean, we'd be at it all day!"
These 4 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Imploding Turtle Imploding Turtle Falcon

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Damo wrote:They wont legalise cannabis. Productivity in the country would drop massively. Nobody will get up to go to work every day and tax revenue would drop like a stone.
So more productive?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Could go full Ankh-Morpork and install a Thieves Guild
We need a Vetinari and his "One man, One vote" policy*

*he's the man, he's got the vote
This user liked this post: Falcon

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:24 pm

Damo wrote:They wont legalise cannabis. Productivity in the country would drop massively. Nobody will get up to go to work every day and tax revenue would drop like a stone.

On what are you basing that opinion?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2231 times
Has Liked: 2130 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Totally agree with everything IT has said in this thread.

Some people really need to listen to accounts of people that have worked as under cover cops on 'the war on drugs' & other social/rehab workers.

Cannabis these days is whacked into all types of strands that greatly enhance the negative effects of the plant compared to how it grows naturally - one reason being that in isn't regulated.

It's a personal choice to take a substance, it shouldn't make you a criminal... The notion that it is, is ridiculous and completely anti-liberty.

Not to mention the tax that can be generated and re invested back into the country(infrastructure or other rehab centres/social workers etc) from cannabis sales - see Colorado for evidence.

Not to mention that the police will be able to focus on more pressing issues.
These 2 users liked this post: Falcon Rick_Muller

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 pm

You are only going to sell it Cool if you add the words "like throwing out immigrants" on the end of " the police will be able to focus on more pressing issues"

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Now LC.. Don't be scared to agree with me here just because you may disagree with me on other issues...
Also nothing like a bit of sensationalism - you been reading the mail?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:49 pm

The what?!?

No, fully agree with you on this one

Just that the people who oppose drugs law reform do tend to oppose lots and lots and lots of other things that are progressive.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Both, and if you live there (or anywhere else not within a whippets throw of Stoops) you are not allowed to comment on Burnley matters.
I've spent a large part of my life within a whippets throw of Stoops if that counts.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Yep...
Tbh I find it a bit pathetic when people take stances on issues purely because thats what the stereotype entails-just reinforces the almost tribal 'us vs them' two party politics mentality (OK way more prominent in US politics).

No one person/theory has it all right, taking ideas from each side should be seen as a positve/progressive - imo

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:14 pm

When a man tires of London he's tired of Life I'll go along. With that Quote. There's violent crime even in Burnley tha knows.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine cricketfieldclarets

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Interesting to hear people’s thoughts on Cannabis, so I thought I’d through my 2 cents in.

I smoked for roughly about 8 years consistently before deciding I didn’t like it anymore. I firmly believe it’s a non addictive substance, I dropped it and never looked back, no withdrawal, no nothing. I don’t begrudge anyone using it at all and I’d like to see it legalised for use in specific venues or on private property only.

During those 8 years I managed to leave high school with good enough grades to complete an NVQ and then a degree. I’m now working successfully abroad for a newspaper. I was never in a position where I smoked so much I couldn’t function as a member of society.

Any issues that people experience with regards to negative effects are purely down to constant abuse, that can be said for almost anything. If you ate McDonald’s 3 times a day you’d die quicker than if you smoke 3 joints a day. Despite the fact that government regulated growing would eliavte much the vast majority of the currently linked health issues. Black market product has no quality control, growers put all sorts in their weed for many different reasons.

It’s massively safer than Alcohol with regards to long term effect, but also short term effect. It doesn’t link in the same way to violence. It also costs us million per year in police efforts.

I can’t see how anyone can be against regulated legalisation.
This user liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:32 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:Interesting to hear people’s thoughts on Cannabis, so I thought I’d through my 2 cents in.

I smoked for roughly about 8 years consistently before deciding I didn’t like it anymore. I firmly believe it’s a non addictive substance, I dropped it and never looked back, no withdrawal, no nothing. I don’t begrudge anyone using it at all and I’d like to see it legalised for use in specific venues or on private property only.

During those 8 years I managed to leave high school with good enough grades to complete an NVQ and then a degree. I’m now working successfully abroad for a newspaper. I was never in a position where I smoked so much I couldn’t function as a member of society.

Any issues that people experience with regards to negative effects are purely down to constant abuse, that can be said for almost anything. If you ate McDonald’s 3 times a day you’d die quicker than if you smoke 3 joints a day. Despite the fact that government regulated growing would eliavte much the vast majority of the currently linked health issues. Black market product has no quality control, growers put all sorts in their weed for many different reasons.

It’s massively safer than Alcohol with regards to long term effect, but also short term effect. It doesn’t link in the same way to violence. It also costs us million per year in police efforts.

I can’t see how anyone can be against regulated legalisation.
Is that a view inc.Skunk also?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:44 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:If you see the Ministry of Justice crime statistics crime rates are clearly higher among the black population, especially in London.
Black people are also more likely to come to the attention of police because of the prevalence in the TYPE of crimes they commit.
Please don't interpret this thread to have some kind of racist agenda it just appears to be the sign of the times. Welcome to London in the 21st century.

You'd only fall out....

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:If you see the Ministry of Justice crime statistics crime rates are clearly higher among the black population, especially in London.

Despite what some on here would have you believe, just because you point out that some minorities have disproportionate representation in crime statistics that's not going to get you called a racist, so you've nothing to fear. What gets people called racist is when they claim or imply that those races are simply more likely to commit crimes because of their race. And what gets people called stupid and ignorant is when they try to claim that there aren't societal issues involved in making it more likely that those minorities end up with disproportionate representation. These types of objections will take the shape of "it's all because they're poor, that's why Joe Bloggs killed that woman" and the like. They'll find an individual example fo a crime and accuse you of saying that it was because the criminal was poor, or something.

In short, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to being called racist unless you say racist things. So don't worry.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Despite what some on here would have you believe, just because you point out that some minorities have disproportionate representation in crime statistics that's not going to get you called a racist, so you've nothing to fear. What gets people called racist is when they claim or imply that those races are simply more likely to commit crimes because of their race. And what gets people called stupid and ignorant is when they try to claim that there aren't societal issues involved in making it more likely that those minorities end up with disproportionate representation. These types of objections will take the shape of "it's all because they're poor, that's why Joe Bloggs killed that woman" and the like. They'll find an individual example fo a crime and accuse you of saying that it was because the criminal was poor, or something.

In short, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to being called racist unless you say racist things. So don't worry.
Another rule of thumb is if a person says “I’m not racist but....” what follows is generally racist :lol:

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:40 pm

aggi wrote:Just to check, is London a nice place or full of ivory towers? I'm confused.
Hi aggi, I thought it was that London's streets were paved with gold, aren't they?

Moved down here over 30 years ago. For me, London get's better and better every day.

Yes, we have a lot of people coming here from all around the world - and, even from the EU27. It's all great. It's one of London's strengths and one of the UK's strnegths.

Yes, I know there are parts of our country that are a lot more "traditional" - but, isn't that in part because many of the youngsters move away to live and work elsewhere?

I've been in Denver the past 2 weeks - some might have noticed I watched Burnley v Spurs in a sports bar while I was there. It's an exciting city - I'm told about 3 million population.

Cannabis is legal in Denver/Colarado. I'm told that more people are moving there because this attracts them. Tax revenues are reported to be up. Cannabis production is bringing in the money. I don't know any more than this.

I'm hiring for a role on my (small) team in Denver. Over 50 applications, many are from China. We've ruled out the one's who don't already have the right to work in USA. I interviewed 5 - the best "on paper" - 2 Indians, 1 Mexican, I Chinese and I American, with family heirtage Netherlands.

It's a competitive and diverse world, guys. We either "love it" and "get with the programme" or we, and our kids, get left behind. And, stats are availabe that can prove this.

The great thing is, from what I see, the younger generation accept "racial diversity" as normal, 100% normal. For them it would be strange if it wasn't.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 pm

AndrewJB wrote: On a wider note, I find it surprising that we as a country are talking about having a global outlook, and yet some feel intimidated by the minority of people who moved here from elsewhere. We want to trade more with India, so great - we've got people here who speak one or more of their thirteen official languages (not to mention all the other languages spoken in India), and understand their cultures and religions, so these people are bridges. They are strengths in our national ambitions. And of course being global in outlook is a two way street. We go out, and others come in.
Hi Andrew, great post - hence my "like." I like the bit I've quoted above.

And, I'd take it a bit further. To live within the world we've got to forget "differences" and we've got to replace them with where we are "the same."

One of the great things about Singapore is that they all celebrate - through public holidays - many of the world's religions major feast days. So, everyone gets to learn and enjoy something of their colleagues and neighbours shared cultures. I'm sure, also, that there is space for the "non-believer" in their set up.

It's great to know other languages - I wish I did - but, we will always be perfectly understood in India if we speak English. From what I've experienced, it is (maybe, one of) their language of business.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Incredibly diverse city. All these foreigners. Fantastic to be honest. Most incredible city on earth and we should be immensely proud of it. Theres a reason so many want to come here.

:lol: :lol:

I think you need to travel a bit ! True the smoke has a great transport system, fascinating history and remarkably diverse population .But by en large is nothing more than a highly overpriced tourist infested sh1thole . Tower Hamlets sums up London to me ,staggering poverty and quite blatant open sharia law side by side with one of the most icon buildings in England’s history . I worked there for about 18 months and was ok tbf but the best time of the week was getting on the train 1pm every Friday .Oddly it’s the only Capital or major city I can think of anywhere in the world which doesn’t feel like it’s host country .
As above. Done plenty. And London leads where most others follow in so many ways.

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote::roll: They're not affected by someone else taking drugs.
I suspect a significant portion of the population of Mexico or Colombia or southern Afghanistan or Cape Town or many other places might disagree.

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:04 pm

A Large Claret - if you want to attempt to criticise someone for not travelling you might want to tone down the bigotry and ignorance.

London definitely in the top 5 cities in the world. You obviously have never lived either in London or I would guess in any city.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:14 am

One of the great things about Singapore is that they all celebrate - through public holidays - many of the world's religions major feast days. So, everyone gets to learn and enjoy something of their colleagues and neighbours shared cultures. I'm sure, also, that there is space for the "non-believer" in their set up.
I believe Singapore has very low crime rates and (I think there may be a link) very tough punishments for misdemeanours (hanging, caning etc). They have very tough laws on drug use/possession and (big tick from me on this) chewing gum is banned in public. I think homosexuality is still a serious crime (not much shared culture there then).
I wouldn't mind moving a bit towards their approach (from our lax position on some bad behaviours) but, blimey, I don't see that Singapore is some sort of exemplar.