Violent crime in London

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Re: Violent crime in London

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:17 am

PWBFC wrote:I suspect a significant portion of the population of Mexico or Colombia or southern Afghanistan or Cape Town or many other places might disagree.
I don't give a **** what you think when you're wrong. What you're talking about is something different to taking drugs.

Here, i'll make it plainly simple for you. If i inject air into myself, is that infringing on anyone elses well-being? Does it harm anyone else but myself? No. It doesn't.
If i snort washing powder am i harming anyone else? No.

What you're talking about is drug-related violence, which is not the same thing as drug taking now, is it?

Maybe the problem you have is that two different things look the same, so here are two single digit numbers: 5 2
Are those numbers the same, or are they different?

Take this next sentence literally. Someone taking drugs harms no-one but themselves.

Do. You. Understand. Now?
Am. I. Being. Condescending. Enough?
This user liked this post: Bfcboyo

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:24 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I don't give a **** what you think when you're wrong. What you're talking about is something different to taking drugs.

Here, i'll make it plainly simple for you. If i inject air into myself, is that infringing on anyone elses well-being? Does it harm anyone else but myself? No. It doesn't.

What you're talking about is drug-related violence, which is not the same thing as drug taking now, is it?

Maybe the problem you have is that two different things look the same, so here are two single digit numbers: 5 2

Take this next sentence literally. Someone taking drugs harms no-one but themselves.

You should be on the stage IT.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Despite what some on here would have you believe, just because you point out that some minorities have disproportionate representation in crime statistics that's not going to get you called a racist, so you've nothing to fear. What gets people called racist is when they claim or imply that those races are simply more likely to commit crimes because of their race. And what gets people called stupid and ignorant is when they try to claim that there aren't societal issues involved in making it more likely that those minorities end up with disproportionate representation. These types of objections will take the shape of "it's all because they're poor, that's why Joe Bloggs killed that woman" and the like. They'll find an individual example fo a crime and accuse you of saying that it was because the criminal was poor, or something.

In short, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to being called racist unless you say racist things. So don't worry.
That is it drag him up blame poor old Joe again. shame on you.

aggi
Been Liked: 2122 times

Post by aggi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:29 am

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Andrew, great post - hence my "like." I like the bit I've quoted above.

And, I'd take it a bit further. To live within the world we've got to forget "differences" and we've got to replace them with where we are "the same."

One of the great things about Singapore is that they all celebrate - through public holidays - many of the world's religions major feast days. So, everyone gets to learn and enjoy something of their colleagues and neighbours shared cultures. I'm sure, also, that there is space for the "non-believer" in their set up.

It's great to know other languages - I wish I did - but, we will always be perfectly understood in India if we speak English. From what I've experienced, it is (maybe, one of) their language of business.
I've got to agree with the other poster's comments on Singapore. My impression from talking to businesses when I was working out there is it's not that even handed a country.

Indians in particular seemed to get a bit of a raw deal and I think there is quite a bit of corruption there.

On a personal note, it's a nice enough place but bloody dull.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am

Bfcboyo wrote:That is it drag him up blame poor old Joe again. shame on you.
You don't know what Joe's done. Joe knows.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:00 am

I love the Singapore chewing gum argument. Like chewing gum on our pavements is a major issue.

Anyone caught throwing chewing gum on the ground here should have their head boiled like they do in Singapore. Things would be much better. The streets would be so clean and the opposite of chewy.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:21 am

tim_noone wrote:Is that a view inc.Skunk also?
I don’t really know what you mean by Skunk, there’s a few interpretations... there’s nothing available in the UK that’s stronger than what’s sold legally under regulation in Canada and Holland under strict guidelines and I can guarantee that because of experience.

The issues occur when when an product is unregulated and grown in unknown conditions, has unknown ingredients added to it etc. Black market sellers use all kinds of tactics to make their grow more profitable, one being spraying the product with liquids such as Coca Cola to make them heavier because it’s sold on weight. You’ve then got a potentially heart slowing substance than contains caffeine.

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I don't give a **** what you think when you're wrong. What you're talking about is something different to taking drugs.

Got it. Thanks for taking the time.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:58 am

LeadBelly wrote:I believe Singapore has very low crime rates and (I think there may be a link) very tough punishments for misdemeanours (hanging, caning etc). They have very tough laws on drug use/possession and (big tick from me on this) chewing gum is banned in public. I think homosexuality is still a serious crime (not much shared culture there then).
I wouldn't mind moving a bit towards their approach (from our lax position on some bad behaviours) but, blimey, I don't see that Singapore is some sort of exemplar.
Hi Leadbelly, first time I flew into Spore I was shocked to see the very large notice across all the passport check desks: "The punishment for drugs is death."

I'm not putting forward Spore as an exemplar for everything. As far as I know it's the only country in the world that celebrates so many different religions feast days as public holidays for everyone - and proving to me that we don't need to find differences in our personal religious beliefs or heritage. .

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 am

The latest incident in the capital an unprovoked attack in a outer London borough with no known history of knife or gang related violence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47426738

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 am

What, are we going to start listing every incident in the UK?

Here’s one in Hale Barns last night

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-47431163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;