Albert Einstein

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Albert Einstein

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:56 pm

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
These 2 users liked this post: Parkvilla Nonayforever

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Re: Albert Einstein

Post by NRC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:21 pm

well, world class athletes doing exactly that extract improvement in "fine margins" - hardly insanity.....

and it is doubted that attribution of this saying (and it isn't a quote as the world doesn't know who actually said it) should be to Einstein..... but, indeed, there was little intelligence on display

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:52 pm

bore off

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:03 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:bore off
You not got people to be scamming as Cutsy? :lol:

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 pm

NRC wrote:well, world class athletes doing exactly that extract improvement in "fine margins" - hardly insanity.....

and it is doubted that attribution of this saying (and it isn't a quote as the world doesn't know who actually said it) should be to Einstein..... but, indeed, there was little intelligence on display
Spending 70 minutes trying the exact same movements and getting nowhere must be a catalyst to try something a little different though, surely.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:17 pm

Had me worried. Thought this was going to be an RIP thread...
This user liked this post: tim_noone

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:21 pm

bfccrazy wrote:The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

No it's not.
Imagine you're trying to feed a child. You put the food on the spoon and try and feed it. The brat doesn't want it, so off it goes to bed with no supper. You try again at breakfast, you try again at supper time, you try again the following breakfast, you try again the following supper time. Are you insane for trying to feed the child? Of course not! The child is insane for not partaking, and will likely perish, but not through your insanity of trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Einstein didn't say it, I don't know who did, but the premise is as false now as it has always been.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:No it's not.
Imagine you're trying to feed a child. You put the food on the spoon and try and feed it. The brat doesn't want it, so off it goes to bed with no supper. You try again at breakfast, you try again at supper time, you try again the following breakfast, you try again the following supper time. Are you insane for trying to feed the child? Of course not! The child is insane for not partaking, and will likely perish, but not through your insanity of trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Einstein didn't say it, I don't know who did, but the premise is as false now as it has always been.
Thanks for the in depth explanation - guess we should just stick to getting to half way line, passing it wide and hoping a floated ball in works.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:32 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Thanks for the in depth explanation - guess we should just stick to getting to half way line, passing it wide and hoping a floated ball in works.

What? I didn't see the game. Was this about our team? I didn't realise. We play football, we cannot possibly expect the same result every game as it's most unrealistic, so by definition we mustn't be insane as we do the same things over and over again but don't expect the same result.
I didn't expect the same result today as against Newcastle, which I hoped was the same as against Spurs, yet against Liverpool next week I hope it's different than today, but all the while doing the same thing....I've lost track, am I insane or not?

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:What? I didn't see the game. Was this about our team? I didn't realise. We play football, we cannot possibly expect the same result every game as it's most unrealistic, so by definition we mustn't be insane as we do the same things over and over again but don't expect the same result.
I didn't expect the same result today as against Newcastle, which I hoped was the same as against Spurs, yet against Liverpool next week I hope it's different than today, but all the while doing the same thing....I've lost track, am I insane or not?
Yeah, was about today’s game and how we approached it by constantly playing the exact same balls with the exact same movements hoping something different happened.

If you didn’t see the game today, we played the ball out wide a lot and tried floating in crosses and Stark’s lumped the ball to their keeper a few times.

It was plain to see it just wasn’t working yet we just kept doing it over and over again.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 701 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:54 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:No it's not.

I think the op was suggesting trying something different.
Not trying to feed your child sprouts for breakfast, lunch and dinner !

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18275 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:30 pm

thatdberight wrote:Had me worried. Thought this was going to be an RIP thread...
Albert Einstein is dead noooooooo :shock:

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:33 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Yeah, was about today’s game and how we approached it by constantly playing the exact same balls with the exact same movements hoping something different happened.

If you didn’t see the game today, we played the ball out wide a lot and tried floating in crosses and Stark’s lumped the ball to their keeper a few times.

It was plain to see it just wasn’t working yet we just kept doing it over and over again.
It did work though because we eventually scored a goal from doing that.
This user liked this post: tim_noone